All games are beginning to look and feel the same

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

Noticing a lot of this crap lately in pretty much every game:

- Game starts off with huge boss or "setpiece"

- Tons of segments where you're sliding down something or chase scenes

- QTEs during battles AND cutscenes

- Trying to "humanize" classic characters

- Not letting players make multiple saves

That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure I missed many things so feel free to contribute. Is anyone else quickly losing interest in these so-called "AAA" games? The industry is starting to look like Hollywood. I think it's been well over 5 years since I watched a movie (it was around the time every movie started using the teal and orange color scheme)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69930 Posts

You maybe victim to playing only AAA or high budget games. 

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

IMO, frankly, I think that a lot of people like myself are. Developers spend so much resources trying to turn games into movies that they forget how to make actual games. Games should always be all about fun. 

Indie games are where it's at now. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#4 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69930 Posts

IMO, frankly, I think that a lot of people like myself are. Developers spend so much resources trying to turn games into movies that they forget how to make actual games. Games should always be all about fun. 

Shinobi120

Can't disagree with that. The very reason we game is because of interactivity. But the in thing as of the last 5 years is movie like games.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Well yeah, when you play games made for the lowest common denominator that tends to happen.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#6 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

No, they aren't. There is a lot more out there that you aren't seeing then

Well yeah, when you play games made for the lowest common denominator that tends to happen.

whiskeystrike

^

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

To me the big name games are becoming more and more different while indie games seem to be just traveling over old paths.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#8 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

No, they aren't. There is a lot more out there that you aren't seeing then

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Legolas_Katarn

^

^ What they said

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Time to branch out. Try some indie games, see if they meet your needs.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44332 Posts
Well personally I very much enjoy the games that utilise the first three points. I really haven't encountered any games where I had issues with the other two points. I love the big budget AAA games and find quite a bit of variety amongst them. I also find plenty of other excellent more niche titles to enjoy. Try looking around a little bit more, even just here you'll easily find a huge variety of games.
Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#11 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

Try some games in different genres, and some indie titles.  There's plenty of variety out there if you look for it. :)

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

The most glaring fallacy with this argument is that this medium, at this point in time, offers more variety than it ever has before.

Even among AAA endeavors (which are currently en vogue to slander) I see plenty of variety despite some obvious redundancy.

The problem is people mistake their inability to search for and acquire variety as some inherent deficiency within this medium despite the fact that we as consumers enjoy a copious stream of software from a myriad of sources.

Also, when was this alleged golden age of gaming when such redundancy wasn't prevalent? Because apparently, I missed it despite being a gamer since PONG.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grammaton-Cleric

Also, I think blaming cinematic game design is a mistake. While I certainly don't care for those games that sacrifice interactivity for the sake of being filmic, I also think there is nothing inherently wrong with games looking like movies as long as the primary propellant of these endeavors is playability and the malleability that makes this medium so unique.

It's natural for a visual medium like videogames to emulate an older medium, as long as that central and crucial component of game play isn't sacrificed when attempting to make something a more cinematic experience.

That is precisely why I personally loathe Heavy Rain. It was a film masquerading as a game.  

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The most glaring fallacy with this argument is that this medium, at this point in time, offers more variety than it ever has before.

Even among AAA endeavors (which are currently en vogue to slander) I see plenty of variety despite some obvious redundancy.

The problem is people mistake their inability to search for and acquire variety as some inherent deficiency within this medium despite the fact that we as consumers enjoy a copious stream of software from a myriad of sources.

Also, when was this alleged golden age of gaming when such redundancy wasn't prevalent? Because apparently, I missed it despite being a gamer since PONG.

Grammaton-Cleric

I highly agree, people seem to forget games in previous gens actually had more in common than this gen, of course I'm not saying this gen doesn't have them but when they do they are taken from more than one game or takes something from a game and trys to one up it (or fail which does happen).

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiouds

Grammaton-Cleric

That is true.

There many times that

Games with a more stander UI but that is good. It is in the details that games become different.

I would say a large number of indie games are looking more the same to me.

Then there The Journy. The poster boy of graphic over gameplay

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

me like games from different genres.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I think it's been well over 5 years since I watched a movie

istuffedsunny

You've been missing out on some great movies.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

c_rake

How many pretentious puzzle platformers can someone really play though.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Also, I think blaming cinematic game design is a mistake. While I certainly don't care for those games that sacrifice interactivity for the sake of being filmic, I also think there is nothing inherently wrong with games looking like movies as long as the primary propellant of these endeavors is playability and the malleability that makes this medium so unique.

It's natural for a visual medium like videogames to emulate an older medium, as long as that central and crucial component of game play isn't sacrificed when attempting to make something a more cinematic experience.

That is precisely why I personally loathe Heavy Rain. It was a film masquerading as a game.

Grammaton-Cleric

Agreed. Sure games like Halo 4 and Gears of War have those filmic elements thrust inbetween gameplay but there are plenty of AAA games that do not. So to say that all games are starting to look the same is a real fallacy.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

Pffrbt

How many pretentious puzzle platformers can someone really play though.

Stupid post. There are indie games in every genre, and indie games are the only constituents of many genres (racing sim, space sim, adventure, shumps, etc.)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
If you play games that aren't the games that also tend to get casual gamers in like COD, etc Then you should try something new, or at least try a new genre
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

whiskeystrike

I absolutely despise anyone that uses that term. It's so goddamn elitist and smug. People really need to stop having their heads so far up their own anus. Some people like playing those big budget AAA games. That does not make you a better gamer than those people.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

burgeg

I absolutely despise anyone that uses that term. It's so goddamn elitist and smug. People really need to stop having their heads so far up their own anus. Some people like playing those big budget AAA games. That does not make you a better gamer than those people.

Especially when those games often end up being incredibly good.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
At this point I feel like we have this thread every fvcking day.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The_Last_Ride
If TC really wants different games try indie games. Minecraft, journey, flower, Mark of Ninja, Super Meat Boy, sound shapes, Black Swan, etc
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

burgeg

I suppose we interpret that term differently. I'm not saying games with mass appeal are bad or less deserving of praise or dumbed down or anything of the sort. It's that games made to appeal to a large audience will share common elements, specifically action heavy games. TC playing a lot of AAA games that share common ground is self-explanatory as to why he feela the way he does. And no I don't care about who is a better gamer or anything so trivial. Gaming is a hobby, not a lifestyle. Attaching such a childish label to myself would be embarassing.
Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

You maybe victim to playing only AAA or high budget games. 

Pedro

This^^^ lol.

Go play other games like Disgaea 4, Journey, 3D Dot Game Hero's, Sly 4, Portal 2, heavy Rain, ect. You will go nuts if you don't add variety to your gaming life.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#30 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

You aren't looking hard enough

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Yes. Recently I played Minecraft, Mark of the Ninja, Dear Esther, and The Walking Dead, and they're all totally the same.
taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

I've probably pumped more hours into War3/SC2/Civ5 combined than all other games put together.

these games make me feel like I'm in full control. I devise strategies and test them out against other players.

SP games, mass effect is a pretty good example, feel more like...I'm being dragged through it. It's as if every 5 minutes while watching Indiana Jones on screen, you were forced to like solve a 4th grade math problem in order to watch the next segment of the movie. gameplay simply doesn't matter as much. you don't really get to make your own decisions in the game. 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
That is precisely why I personally loathe Heavy Rain. It was a film masquerading as a game.  Grammaton-Cleric
I didn't loathe Heavy Rain because it was a film masqerading as a game. I loathed it because neither the film elements nor the game elements were anything special. As a film, it was about as boring and cliched as one could find. And as a game, the gameplay just sucked and wasn't fun. The problem wasn't that it was a film masquerading as a game, the problem was that it tried to do those two things and sucked at both of them. But I don't see anything wrong with the concept, I just think they botched the execution.
YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 YosemiteSam400
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts

Agreed. A gaming crash is what this industry needs right now.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#35 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

no, no, no. we have a variety of crap. yeah, some things like "grittiness" sell and so lots of developers try to emulate it, but it effects different games in different ways. so games that were previously gritty become cartoonishly so and games that were previously idealistic become incongruously balanced. then there is how games approach being "cinematic" or how they work in shooter elements. it all combines together so you can potentially get served your sh*t in many different ways.

still, that's not to say that there aren't new ideas in big games. dragon's dogma last year had the pawn system and really that whole game world was pretty cool. there were even some nods to previous designs like with dishonored. and, you know, sometimes ideas brought in from trends end up working well too. like i was playing deus ex: human revolution recently and, as a fan of the original, i thought some of the changes were for the best. the first deus ex was centered around being able to play it any way you want, including as a shooter. it was welcome to see it actually play like a pretty good shooter if that's what i wanted.

anyway, all this stuff is nothing new. when duke nukem was popular, the trend followed. same with platformers and a bunch of other trends.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Well my friend, I feel the urge to tell you to broaden your horizons a bit, because gaming for me has been pretty damn diversified and spectacular these past few years.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

YosemiteSam400

???????

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

What it really needs are better authoring tools so that one guy can make detailed FPS games instead of being stuck with side scrollers.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wiouds

YosemiteSam400

You know the gaming crash happen because of too many game companies and the lack of information, right?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 The_Last_Ride
Yes. Recently I played Minecraft, Mark of the Ninja, Dear Esther, and The Walking Dead, and they're all totally the same.PannicAtack
wait what?
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

You aren't looking hard enough

Blueresident87
Yeah, pretty much. Many games I've played don't have those.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#42 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]Yes. Recently I played Minecraft, Mark of the Ninja, Dear Esther, and The Walking Dead, and they're all totally the same.The_Last_Ride
wait what?

he's joking :P
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#43 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Shinobi120

*sigh* Some people hate indie games because their sense of style is boring to them. If these big budget experiences aren't fun, why are they selling millions? Because other people are finding them fun. I myself found the new Tomb Raider to be a lot of fun, and it "suffers" from everything the OP listed. But you know what, I play the occasional retro game every now and then... and I'm glad gaming continues to evolve. If it didn't need to evolve, we'd still be playing our Super Nintendos, but the good news is... you can still do that! Games should always be fun to someone; they never will be all about fun to everyone....

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="PannicAtack"]Yes. Recently I played Minecraft, Mark of the Ninja, Dear Esther, and The Walking Dead, and they're all totally the same.LoG-Sacrament
wait what?

he's joking :P

oh ok:P, i wasn't sure :P
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Sounds like you missed out on playing one of the best games out right now.. Skyrim.
Jackeddup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jackeddup
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I been playing these new mainstream game that had come out from the past couple of months and none haven't drove me back to want to play it again DMC. To me, I always been a story guy when it comes to games... but sometime I believe that writers don't know how to capture the gamers by developing the character. Games like Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted and Medal Gear Solid always get me back going and play again. The Medal Gear Rising was pretty flat to me by the way
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I fail to see how Hitman and God of War feel and/or look the same... Just saying.
YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YosemiteSam400

[QUOTE="YosemiteSam400"]

MLBknights58

???????

I have an entire library of games to last me a lifetime, and I don't play as many games anymore. I could live if new games were never made. Besides, how else do you think these publishers will learn from their greed? Cheers.

YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 YosemiteSam400

[QUOTE="YosemiteSam400"]

wiouds

You know the gaming crash happen because of too many game companies and the lack of information, right?

Yup, and this crash will happen because of over saturation of the market as it is. Most people are content with what they have right now, when you have too many games being released in a bad economy, I'm pretty sure most people will get tired of games. History always repeats itself. Video games in general are in a decline as it is from a business point of view.
YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 YosemiteSam400

[QUOTE="Shinobi120"]

JustPlainLucas

*sigh* Some people hate indie games because their sense of style is boring to them. If these big budget experiences aren't fun, why are they selling millions? Because other people are finding them fun. I myself found the new Tomb Raider to be a lot of fun, and it "suffers" from everything the OP listed. But you know what, I play the occasional retro game every now and then... and I'm glad gaming continues to evolve. If it didn't need to evolve, we'd still be playing our Super Nintendos, but the good news is... you can still do that! Games should always be fun to someone; they never will be all about fun to everyone....

I quite actually wouldn't mind if games were still being developed for the 16 bit consoles. I also wouldn't mind it if we never progressed in the gaming industry. Sure we wouldn't be able to play masterpieces like Red Dead, but we would've never known what we would have missed out on either. Also, the cost to develop a game wouldn't be as expensive as it is now.

Also, we'd see no more military FPS games being released. (Thank god). We'd have more amazing beat em ups like Streets of Rage 2 and Final Fight 3