Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts
Many people think that seeing your enemies ahead is the better way of encountering enemies in a game, but I still prefer random battles. Why? Simply because it keeps the element of surprise in RPGs. I'd rather be surprised by an encounter, rather than keep on running around if I want to avoid battles.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
I've played random encounters for so long now I just prefer them. Although it does get annoying getting a battle every 4 steps.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
I agree with both of you. after using the random battle system so much, it's just the system I am more used to and comfortable with. Though that does not mean I do not want some change, I'm always willing to try something new, so I liked XII's battle system as well, though not as much as some of the past FF's.
lo_Reaper_ol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 lo_Reaper_ol
Member since 2007 • 4953 Posts
I'm not bothered by Random Encounters, but being used to them, I like them now.
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts
I like to see my enemies ahead. It helps me play defensivley if I'm low on health.
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Sony_FanBoy
Member since 2006 • 2993 Posts

I like to see my enemies ahead. It helps me play defensivley if I'm low on health. DrAwesomeMD

That's a good point, but if you're good. You don't have to worry about low health. lol. jk.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fs_metal
Member since 2005 • 25711 Posts
Random battles suck eggs
mfouad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 mfouad
Member since 2005 • 1636 Posts

I've played random encounters for so long now I just prefer them. Although it does get annoying getting a battle every 4 steps.siberian142

you got my point :D

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Random battles suck eggsfs_metal

Final Fantasy's random encounters are moderate, and you're not in a battle for too long unless you run across a special creature. Still, random encounters in Lost Odyssey were sometimes dreadful in specific areas. You'd get a combination of enemies that weren't hard, just annoying enough to prolong combat. Even though the rate of random battle occurances were reduced in LO there were times where you simply were unlucky. You'd have to fight these battles that were way too long for just a random encounter.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fs_metal

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Random battles suck eggsNeoGen85

Final Fantasy's random encounters are moderate, and you're not in a battle for too long unless you run across a special creature. Still, random encounters in Lost Odyssey were sometimes dreadful in specific areas. You'd get a combination of enemies that weren't hard, just annoying enough to prolong combat. Even though the rate of random battle occurances were reduced in LO there were times where you simply were unlucky. You'd have to fight these battles that were way too long for just a random encounter.

Random encounters always becone extremely annoying loooooooong before the game actually ends. Random encounters lick....I dunno....carrots?
book55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 book55
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts
Random battles must disappear off the face of the earth like the dinosaurs 65000000 years ago.
lo_Reaper_ol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lo_Reaper_ol
Member since 2007 • 4953 Posts

Random battles must disappear off the face of the earth like the dinosaurs 65000000 years ago.book55

:lol: Did your research, did you?

book55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 book55
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

[QUOTE="book55"]Random battles must disappear off the face of the earth like the dinosaurs 65000000 years ago.lo_Reaper_ol

:lol: Did your research, did you?

from wikipedia: Random battles were the dominant gameplay of terrestrial JRPG for over 160 milion years,from the late triassic period about 230 milion years ago to the end of the cretaceous period 65 milion years ago when most of them became extinct in the cretaceous tertiary extinction event(or FFXII):lol:
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Random battles suck eggsfs_metal

Random encounters always becone extremely annoying loooooooong before the game actually ends. Random encounters lick....I dunno....carrots?

The only game where random encounters would annoy me was FFII. You would have to choose between 4 doors, and if you chose the wrong one, you would have to fight like 5 battles just to exit the tiny freakin' room...

every other FF wasn't that extreme with random battles...so I had no problem with them...

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="fs_metal"][QUOTE="NeoGen85"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]Random battles suck eggsDJ-Lafleur

The only game where random encounters would annoy me was FFII. You would have to choose between 4 doors, and if you chose the wrong one, you would have to fight like 5 battles just to exit the tiny freakin' room...

every other FF wasn't that extreme with random battles...so I had no problem with them...

Ok, Yeah I did just recently go through those doors full of random battles, but they didn't annoy me.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fs_metal
After I am about 30 hours or so into the game, they really start getting on my nerves
Ebi_Furya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17 Ebi_Furya
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

A lot of things seem to get on your nerves...

Anyways, I like the random battles for their element of surprise and for the fact that they never end. If you ever need to grind a level or two before proceeding to the next area, you can simply run in circles. It's booring but doable. With on-screen enemies, you have to zone two zones away and back, as was the case of XII, or sit and wait there, doing absolutely nothing, in hopes they will re-spawn. Also boring, but still doable.

Yes, you can avoid enemies if you can see them, but did you know that by pressing R and L you can run away from random battles? Sometimes, there is even a Flee or Run option.

And finally, to the whole "I'm out of healing stuff" excuse, why weren't you prepared by stocking up on potions in the first place?

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ-Lafleur

Anyways, I like the random battles for their element of surprise and for the fact that they never end. If you ever need to grind a level or two before proceeding to the next area, you can simply run in circles. It's booring but doable. With on-screen enemies, you have to zone two zones away and back, as was the case of XII, or sit and wait there, doing absolutely nothing, in hopes they will re-spawn. Also boring, but still doable.

Yes, you can avoid enemies if you can see them, but did you know that by pressing R and L you can run away from random battles? Sometimes, there is even a Flee or Run option.

And finally, to the whole "I'm out of healing stuff" excuse, why weren't you prepared by stocking up on potions in the first place?

Ebi_Furya

And for the response "but I do not have enough gil to get enough potions" :(

then fight outside near a town, going to an inn to heal yourself, and then when you ahve enough potions, continue on your quest...you should be okay then...

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="Ebi_Furya"]

DJ-Lafleur

then fight outside near a town, going to an inn to heal yourself, and then when you ahve enough potions, continue on your quest...you should be okay then...

Aye, That be a smart thing to do. Rpg's aren't meant for the player to rush and if you do. You deserve to get annoyed with random battles. I don't mind random battles, cuz I'm alwasys overly prepared before going to a new place.

mfouad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mfouad
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="Ebi_Furya"]

Sony_FanBoy

Aye, That be a smart thing to do. Rpg's aren't meant for the player to rush and if you do. You deserve to get annoyed with random battles. I don't mind random battles, cuz I'm alwasys overly prepared before going to a new place.

agreed with u but games like metal gear solid 4, god of war 1 and 2, gears of war and halo r also great games nowadays because they have no random battling system!!

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="Ebi_Furya"]

mfouad

agreed with u but games like metal gear solid 4, god of war 1 and 2, gears of war and halo r also great games nowadays because they have no random battling system!!

But are they built around leveling up? (If you noticed with the God of War games, there came many times where the game would have to give you chests full of Red Orbs to help you player level up his or her weapons. Because you might not have been able to get enough Red Orbs to successfully level up a certain weapon, there for being at a disadvantage for the upcoming boss)

mfouad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mfouad

and one more thing that random battles takes more time!

Ebi_Furya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#23 Ebi_Furya
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts
and one more thing that random battles takes more time!mfouad

True, that they do, but Crisis Core had random battles and they were quick since they took place in the game world without jumping to a separate arena. Granted, there were painfully obvious "arena sections" on the maps, but regardless, it was quick.

Looking back, I - VI were very quick to jump into battles (in their original cartridge formats, not the later PS ones), but VII - IX were a tad slow due to the speed of the CD. X and X-2 on the PS2 sped up the loading times dramatically. The speed of entry depends on not only the system, but the game engine. I don't think random battles will be going away, just improved on. Perhaps XIII will have a random battle system similar to Crisis Core, only more, well, random.

agreed with u but games like metal gear solid 4, god of war 1 and 2, gears of war and halo r also great games nowadays because they have no random battling system!!mfouad

True, but look at the game types. You're comparing apples to oranges. Final Fantasy clearly falls into the RPG genre where the ones you mention are Action or First/Third Person Shooter games. God of War has RPG elements, but it simply isn't the same thing. And there are no levels of any sort in Halo or Gears of War. I can't speak for MGS as I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to say it's still different anyways.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 NeoGen85
Knights of the Old Republic is a perfect example of being able to play the game, have fun, and not have to worry(abou the grind, random encounters, etc).
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sony_FanBoy

Knights of the Old Republic is a perfect example of being able to play the game, have fun, and not have to worry(abou the grind, random encounters, etc).NeoGen85

But it's that a different style of rpg though, not in the same vein as Final Fantasy?

Omnislash666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Omnislash666
Member since 2008 • 1196 Posts
I like seeing them ahead because it makes the game feel more realistic. Rather than just monsters fly out of the ground(Crisis core) lol. I liked crisis core though.
Avatar image for Army_of_Shadows
Army_of_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Army_of_Shadows
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts
I don't mind random battles at all. I'm actually quite used to them. The only issue is that you don't know what enemy you'll get so you can't equip accordingly in most games. For example, if you have to fight a Malborro in FFX, you could easily get screwed over cuz of status effects. Other than that though, it adds to surprise, and in my opinion, it makes me more likely to do the battles. Oh, and in most FF's, there is an escape button to flee with random battles anyway...
Omnislash666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Omnislash666
Member since 2008 • 1196 Posts
true...but im sick of people putting down final fantasy for the realisticness. So that shut their mouths and i liked that.
Avatar image for Army_of_Shadows
Army_of_Shadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Army_of_Shadows
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts
Either's fine really. Random battles are somewhat of a trademark of RPG's in my opinion. But with being able to see your enemies, you can choose not to fight them in a tight situation, and it does make the game seem more realistic than monsters just coming out of nowhere like with random battles. Crisis Core was kinda a mix. You couldn't visually "see" the enemy, but it was plainly obvious where they'd be, and they could be (sometimes) easily avoided. There's pros and cons to both...
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ-Lafleur

true...but im sick of people putting down final fantasy for the realisticness. So that shut their mouths and i liked that.Omnislash666

well, yeah, it is called final Fantasy, not Final Reality. :P

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sony_FanBoy

[QUOTE="Omnislash666"]true...but im sick of people putting down final fantasy for the realisticness. So that shut their mouths and i liked that.DJ-Lafleur

Don't give Square any ideas, they will try that eventually. lol.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="Omnislash666"]true...but im sick of people putting down final fantasy for the realisticness. So that shut their mouths and i liked that.Sony_FanBoy

In final Reality I, you must embark on an epic quest to the grocery store, only for yor car to run out of gas, and things from there go hectic! :shock:

.....yeah, doesn't really sound like an enticing game. :|

mfouad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mfouad
[QUOTE="mfouad"]and one more thing that random battles takes more time!Ebi_Furya

True, that they do, but Crisis Core had random battles and they were quick since they took place in the game world without jumping to a separate arena. Granted, there were painfully obvious "arena sections" on the maps, but regardless, it was quick.

Looking back, I - VI were very quick to jump into battles (in their original cartridge formats, not the later PS ones), but VII - IX were a tad slow due to the speed of the CD. X and X-2 on the PS2 sped up the loading times dramatically. The speed of entry depends on not only the system, but the game engine. I don't think random battles will be going away, just improved on. Perhaps XIII will have a random battle system similar to Crisis Core, only more, well, random.

agreed with u but games like metal gear solid 4, god of war 1 and 2, gears of war and halo r also great games nowadays because they have no random battling system!!mfouad

True, but look at the game types. You're comparing apples to oranges. Final Fantasy clearly falls into the RPG genre where the ones you mention are Action or First/Third Person Shooter games. God of War has RPG elements, but it simply isn't the same thing. And there are no levels of any sort in Halo or Gears of War. I can't speak for MGS as I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to say it's still different anyways.

agreed with u!

mfouad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mfouad
Final fantasy 12 is better than any other ff games because the gameplay and battling system!!
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
[QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

[QUOTE="Omnislash666"]true...but im sick of people putting down final fantasy for the realisticness. So that shut their mouths and i liked that.DJ-Lafleur

In final Reality I, you must embark on an epic quest to the grocery store, only for yor car to run out of gas, and things from there go hectic! :shock:

.....yeah, doesn't really sound like an enticing game. :|

You run into crying baby! Crying Baby uses Super Cry! 5000 damage! Game over.:P
DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts

Final Reality should totally be a text adventure where you type in commands or hav to choose commands like:

There is a baby left on your doorway crying.

A) Raise baby.

B) Throw baby(cookie for whoever knows what this is from).

C) Leave the baby for the coyotes.

mfouad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mfouad

Final Reality should totally be a text adventure where you type in commands or hav to choose commands like:

There is a baby left on your doorway crying.

A) Raise baby.

B) Throw baby(cookie for whoever knows what this is from).

C) Leave the baby for the coyotes.

DrAwesomeMD

Option (A) :D

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NeoGen85

[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]Knights of the Old Republic is a perfect example of being able to play the game, have fun, and not have to worry(abou the grind, random encounters, etc).Sony_FanBoy

But it's that a different style of rpg though, not in the same vein as Final Fantasy?

Final Fantasy XII tried to follow this style, which I think KOTOR did it better, and it still kept the game simple.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fs_metal
[QUOTE="Ebi_Furya"]

DJ-Lafleur

The problem with random battles is that when yo need to heal at an inn, you are not gaurantueed to actually get back to town without dying

Sony_FanBoy

I've NEVER rushed an RPG and random battles stil lannoy the hell out of me

[QUOTE="mfouad"][QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="Ebi_Furya"]

Sony_FanBoy

But are they built around leveling up? (If you noticed with the God of War games, there came many times where the game would have to give you chests full of Red Orbs to help you player level up his or her weapons. Because you might not have been able to get enough Red Orbs to successfully level up a certain weapon, there for being at a disadvantage for the upcoming boss)

Games like Oblivion, KOTOR and Mass Effect feature no random battles and they are based around leveling up

[QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"]

[QUOTE="NeoGen85"]Knights of the Old Republic is a perfect example of being able to play the game, have fun, and not have to worry(abou the grind, random encounters, etc).NeoGen85

Final Fantasy XII tried to follow this style, which I think KOTOR did it better, and it still kept the game simple.

If you are going to say this, then KOTOR is Final Fantasy IV-IX and X-2 without random battles or an active time bar :S

Damn it. Now I want to play KOTOR again. Those 2 games are fan effing tastic

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sony_FanBoy

fs_metal

The problem with random battles is that when yo need to heal at an inn, you are not gaurantueed to actually get back to town without dying

Sony_FanBoy

I've NEVER rushed an RPG and random battles stil lannoy the hell out of me

[QUOTE="mfouad"][QUOTE="Sony_FanBoy"][QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="Ebi_Furya"]

Sony_FanBoy

Games like Oblivion, KOTOR and Mass Effect feature no random battles and they are based around leveling up

Nah **** Really? I was talking about the games he mentioned.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fs_metal
Furhtermore, Akalabeth does not use random battles, and it is 7 years older than the first game that used random battles: Dragon Quest
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sony_FanBoy

Furhtermore, Akalabeth does not use random battles, and it is 7 years older than the first game that used random battles: Dragon Questfs_metal

Ok, so you're supporting what other people have said.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fs_metal
No. I am saying random battles suck and they need to be gotten rid of forever
mfouad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mfouad

No. I am saying random battles suck and they need to be gotten rid of foreverfs_metal

yeah you are right!!

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]No. I am saying random battles suck and they need to be gotten rid of forevermfouad

yeah you are right!!

many others feel differently, and still like the random battle system. If that is the case, then there is no reason to get rid of it.

Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="mfouad"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]No. I am saying random battles suck and they need to be gotten rid of foreverDJ-Lafleur

yeah you are right!!

many others feel differently, and still like the random battle system. If that is the case, then there is no reason to get rid of it.

That's a good point. If a large group of people still like it, it's still going to be around.

fs_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fs_metal
[QUOTE="mfouad"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]No. I am saying random battles suck and they need to be gotten rid of foreverDJ-Lafleur

yeah you are right!!

It's outdated. that's more htan reason enough to get rid of it
Sony_FanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sony_FanBoy
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="mfouad"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]No. I am saying random battles suck and they need to be gotten rid of foreverfs_metal

yeah you are right!!

If there is still people out there that want it, then it will be still around, it doesn't matter if it may be outdated or not. It will still be around if a majority of the people want it.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DJ-Lafleur
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"][QUOTE="mfouad"]

[QUOTE="fs_metal"]No. I am saying random battles suck and they need to be gotten rid of foreverfs_metal

yeah you are right!!

I don't care if it's outdated, it is still fun. So I certainly have no complaints if any game were to use the random battle system.