The "new" Gamespot.

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I saw in the community announcements that beta invites for a new version of GS were going out.  Quick question... does this new Gamespot design include new forums?  Because honestly, a good deal of us spend 99% of our time on this website in the forums, and we've been on this particular forum engine, with slight modifications, (please do not ever go back to 20x20 avatars) since 2005.  That's getting dangerously close to a decade.  

Also, will you finally be implementing an ignore feature?  IGN boards have it, and it's wonderful.  Unlike some sites, or the adblock solution, which still has you seeing the posts of ignored members when they are quoted, on IGN when you block someone it completely blocks any and everything they submit to the forums from your view.  It makes them not exist for you when you are logged in.  It cuts down on the impact trolls can have, since you can just click a few options, refresh the page, and they aren't there anymore.

Thanks.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#4 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts
Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.F22_King_Raptor
That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! =)
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Just wait and see eh ;) Nobody knows what it's like except the people making it for now. Though feel free to continue sounding off any suggestions for what you'd like to see them do.
larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#6 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts
Yes, the new GameSpot will have a new forums engine that is similar to Giant Bomb's system.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Randolph
Yes, the new GameSpot will have a new forums engine that is similar to Giant Bomb's system.LarkAnderson
Sounds good, but can you comment on an ignore feature? I'm not entirely sure I can stick around without one anymore. Increasingly it seems like a must have feature with the sheer number of people posting on these forums in the here and now. It would cut down on un-necessary forum drama and flaming, and lighten the work load for mods as well. It's a great customization tool as well. Don't like what someone says? Don't see what they say.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Oh my god. I don't understand. This site's been plagued by bugs and crashes for years and this is what we get? Gimped systems everywhere? I want to rant, but I'd rather not be so kneejerk about it. Please give us more information ASAP.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Removing the features that make Gamespot unique is not the right move to make. If I wanted to post on Giantbomb, I would be on Giantbomb.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Removing the features that make Gamespot unique is not the right move to make.darkspineslayer
Breaking down every few weeks is a unique feature I don't mind being gone tbh
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
So all of our emblems will be imported back into the new site, but not at launch.. Correct?
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts
So all of our emblems will be imported back into the new site, but not at launch.. Correct?harry_james_pot
Unknown of right now that is something one of us will ask at the Hangout :). There better be a "Site Alpha Beta Tester" for being part of the Alpha Group of the Beta users. If not then :'(
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 harry_james_pot  Moderator
[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"]So all of our emblems will be imported back into the new site, but not at launch.. Correct?Juniorpower
Unknown of right now that is something one of us will ask at the Hangout :). There better be a "Site Alpha Beta Tester" for being part of the Alpha Group of the Beta users. If not then :'(

That would be one fantastic emblem! :D
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#14 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts

Removing the features that make Gamespot unique is not the right move to make. If I wanted to post on Giantbomb, I would be on Giantbomb.darkspineslayer

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Giant Bomb's design. Why make it look like Giant Bomb anyway? 

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Randolph
I despise Giantbombs forums with every fiber of my being, so that was a punch in the gut. Now I find out the UCB I founded ten years ago is being deleted too? Sorry, but that's it for me. That was all the connection I had left to this site, when it's gone, I just have no compelling reason left to even be here.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Good God... I just logged on to Giant Bomb. If our forums end up ANYTHING like that crappy site I'm done here too.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26105 Posts
Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.F22_King_Raptor
We aren't forbidden. But they asked nicely.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Removing the features that make Gamespot unique is not the right move to make. If I wanted to post on Giantbomb, I would be on Giantbomb.darkspineslayer
Quoted for truth.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JP_
[QUOTE="F22_King_Raptor"]Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.Willy105

Willy even if we didn't sign a NDA we aren't going to share any info. I don't see a reason we should
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="F22_King_Raptor"]Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.Juniorpower

Willy even if we didn't sign a NDA we aren't going to share any info. I don't see a reason we should

we were told to keep it close to our chest and just amongst those involved.

PiscesChick93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 PiscesChick93
Member since 2008 • 10732 Posts

What's happening to the blogs and threads, are they getting purged?

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bbkkristian
With all the secrecy with this beta and the announcements of things being dropped, it seems like there is nothing about this renovation to be excited about.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CaseyWegner

With all the secrecy with this beta and the announcements of things being dropped, it seems like there is nothing about this renovation to be excited about.bbkkristian

unless the beta testers are listened to.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]With all the secrecy with this beta and the announcements of things being dropped, it seems like there is nothing about this renovation to be excited about.CaseyWegner

Yeah because you're the only ones who know anything besides what's being removed.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JP_
[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]With all the secrecy with this beta and the announcements of things being dropped, it seems like there is nothing about this renovation to be excited about.bbkkristian

Yeah because you're the only ones who know anything besides what's being removed.

Not true. There is goign to be a Hangout tomorrow at 1 PDT with Lark and another Staff member so Tune in
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#26 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
exactly, gamespot should keep doing their own thing
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

Juniorpower

Not true. There is goign to be a Hangout tomorrow at 1 PDT with Lark and another Staff member so Tune in

I'll be there.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Randolph
All due respect, where is Lark in our community? Who the hell is he? How does he know what we want? How do any of them? None of them are actively involved in any meaningful way on the boards, yet they are the ones who make all the decisions about the boards. That makes no damn sense at all. Gamespot employees have not been actively involved on the boards since GregK and Alex Navarro. Also, who proposed this idea that the Unions and UCBs are tied into one another and if we can't have both, we can't have either? because whoever did has no idea what the hell they are talking about. The UCBs predate the Unions, and they seem to run on entirely different versions of the current forum engine. (The Unions version is the first run of the current ones from 2005) It just seems like their are an awful lot of decisions about what to do with the community, and all of them are being made by people who are not an active part of the community, or understand the community on a basic level.
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts
Good God... I just logged on to Giant Bomb. If our forums end up ANYTHING like that crappy site I'm done here too.The-Apostle
Eww.....hell, I didn't even to log in to see gawdy horrid their whole set up looks. Jeez, there seems to be no freakin' organization of categories, separate boards for different platforms (or if there ARE it doesn't seem user-friendly and intuitive to get to w/o going on a 'hunt') or games......and that damn 'Lite Brite' forum theme crap!!! God, I HATE when sites use that for color backdrop. If our forums here have to look ANYTHING 'similar' (as Lark mentioned) to hot messed thing of a forum. I hate to say it--and I normally don't for sites that I love--but may have bow out of GS for a while. I don't mind them finally improving this site, but it seems the way they choosing to do so is beyond drastic. And don't even get me STARTED on that mess about level resets & emblems.....:evil:
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 harry_james_pot  Moderator

[QUOTE="Juniorpower"][QUOTE="Willy105"] We aren't forbidden. But they asked nicely. CaseyWegner

And speaking of that, shouldn't we have a board or something here to discuss the beta in?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

PiscesChick93
Nope.
Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#32 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Blogs & Postcount will Stay
The new GameSpot will definitely be including forum post count and allow for user blogs. We will also be migrating over all your blog history, as well as forum threads, so that won't be lost either.LarkAnderson
For those of you that are curious.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="Juniorpower"] Willy even if we didn't sign a NDA we aren't going to share any info. I don't see a reason we shouldharry_james_pot

And speaking of that, shouldn't we have a board or something here to discuss the beta in?

probably when things really get going.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JP_

[QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

probably when things really get going.

At this current time we dont need it. I think Lark might setup a Thread on the Group for us to post in the Feedback but, I have no Idea really
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Seems like a great way to be inclusive with the entire community.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Can they speak about what they see inside of it?
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="F22_King_Raptor"]Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.foxhound_fox
Seems like a great way to be inclusive with the entire community.

i'll voice your concerns. they've already seen them though.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="LarkAnderson"]Yes, the new GameSpot will have a new forums engine that is similar to Giant Bomb's system.Randolph
Sounds good, but can you comment on an ignore feature? I'm not entirely sure I can stick around without one anymore. Increasingly it seems like a must have feature with the sheer number of people posting on these forums in the here and now. It would cut down on un-necessary forum drama and flaming, and lighten the work load for mods as well. It's a great customization tool as well. Don't like what someone says? Don't see what they say.

You can do that now with ad-block. I have 13 people blocked.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

And why is that?

Seems like I'm witnessing the last remnants of what made this site great disappear. Already I've noticed a lot of people either only posting occasionally or leaving the site completely. This redesign I fear is going to be the final nail in the coffin. A beta surrounded in secrecy is the last damn thing this site needs. Once again, community feedback gets completely ignored. 

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="F22_King_Raptor"]Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.Vari3ty

And why is that?

Seems like I'm witnessing the last remnants of what made this site great disappear. Already I've noticed a lot of people either only posting occasionally or leaving the site completely. This redesign I fear is going to be the final nail in the coffin. A beta surrounded in secrecy is the last damn thing this site needs. Once again, community feedback gets completely ignored. 

it won't be ignored.

Scalper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 Scalper
Member since 2002 • 437 Posts
They just don't want people posting about things in the beta that might get changed or even taken out. I'm sure once the site is almost done and all they are doing are fixing little bugs they will let more people in and talk about it. We should all watch the hangout they will be having at 1pm today.
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

PiscesChick93

Nope, not at all.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

[QUOTE="F22_King_Raptor"]Anyone invited to the beta are strictly forbidden to speak of what they see outside of it.Vari3ty

And why is that?

The reason current beta testers aren't allowed to speak about what they see is partly not to give gamespot's competitors any ideas of its next move before it's ready to launch them. More importantly they wouldn't want the community reacting heavily to proposed new features, be it excitement of disappointment, that aren't set in stone and may change significantly or be removed altogether before the public betas. Either way, invite-only betas for the early stages aren't uncommon. Usually they just don't tell anybody they're doing them.
larkanderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#44 larkanderson
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts
For everyone worried that our forums will be a clone of Giant Bomb's, don't worry, they won't be! The forums ENGINE will be similar to it, but we're still going to have System Wars, boards for platforms and special interests, etc., and they're still going to be organized like you expect. As for the question about whether or not you'll be able to ignore specific users, unfortunately this isn't a feature we are currently building. It's a great idea though! I'll look into how possible it may be to build at a later time.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JP_

For everyone worried that our forums will be a clone of Giant Bomb's, don't worry, they won't be! The forums ENGINE will be similar to it, but we're still going to have System Wars, boards for platforms and special interests, etc., and they're still going to be organized like you expect. As for the question about whether or not you'll be able to ignore specific users, unfortunately this isn't a feature we are currently building. It's a great idea though! I'll look into how possible it may be to build at a later time.LarkAnderson
Hey L.A. What about the Thing we have here when you go to PM's and you get a PM from someone you wanna Ignore you can click to add them to Ignore List Add GSUSERNAME to Ignore List

This HTML has been Editted so that it doesnt allow you to actually Ignore a user

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
] [...] gamespot's competitors [...] EJ902
These exist? Well, I guess they might when it comes to comment streams on front-page articles.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="LarkAnderson"]For everyone worried that our forums will be a clone of Giant Bomb's, don't worry, they won't be! The forums ENGINE will be similar to it, but we're still going to have System Wars, boards for platforms and special interests, etc., and they're still going to be organized like you expect. As for the question about whether or not you'll be able to ignore specific users, unfortunately this isn't a feature we are currently building. It's a great idea though! I'll look into how possible it may be to build at a later time.

Great... Now we just need unions to stay the way they are and we're set.
INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

For everyone worried that our forums will be a clone of Giant Bomb's, don't worry, they won't be! The forums ENGINE will be similar to it, but we're still going to have System Wars, boards for platforms and special interests, etc., and they're still going to be organized like you expect. As for the question about whether or not you'll be able to ignore specific users, unfortunately this isn't a feature we are currently building. It's a great idea though! I'll look into how possible it may be to build at a later time.LarkAnderson

It's good that it'll be organized the same/similarly but I'm still worried about how it will look. GiantBomb's forums are ugly as hell. I like what we have now. And if it doesn't have a dark background option I'm gone. I hate white backgrounds.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JP_

[QUOTE="LarkAnderson"]For everyone worried that our forums will be a clone of Giant Bomb's, don't worry, they won't be! The forums ENGINE will be similar to it, but we're still going to have System Wars, boards for platforms and special interests, etc., and they're still going to be organized like you expect. As for the question about whether or not you'll be able to ignore specific users, unfortunately this isn't a feature we are currently building. It's a great idea though! I'll look into how possible it may be to build at a later time.INF1DEL

It's good that it'll be organized the same/similarly but I'm still worried about how it will look. GiantBomb's forums are ugly as hell. I like what we have now. And if it doesn't have a dark background option I'm gone. I hate white backgrounds.

I am very sure Lark will make the final Design Perfect
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Don't know if it was answered yet, but will the new site support dark theme, right from the start?

If not... been a pleasure posting here...