The "new" Gamespot.

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#51 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts
I have just 2 questions...What will happen to the levelling system? and will our blogs and reviews will stay or be deleted?
INF1DEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 INF1DEL
Member since 2006 • 2083 Posts

I have just 2 questions...What will happen to the levelling system? and will our blogs and reviews will stay or be deleted?Hiddai

The blogs will stay. I'd assume the reviews will too. I remember hearing somewhere that the level system will be overhauled and your old level will give a boost to your new one. Not sure how true that is but I don't think it really matters. I'd like to keep my 'date joined' stat though.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Hiddai

[QUOTE="Hiddai"]I have just 2 questions...What will happen to the levelling system? and will our blogs and reviews will stay or be deleted?INF1DEL

The blogs will stay. I'd assume the reviews will too. I remember hearing somewhere that the level system will be overhauled and your old level will give a boost to your new one. Not sure how true that is but I don't think it really matters. I'd like to keep my 'date joined' stat though.

Can you, the Admins\Mods, confirm it?
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#54 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
[QUOTE="INF1DEL"]

[QUOTE="Hiddai"]I have just 2 questions...What will happen to the levelling system? and will our blogs and reviews will stay or be deleted?Hiddai

It is confirmed. All of your old blogs will be moved into the new site. And while there will still be user reviews, we don't know if the old ones will carry over or not. There will be a new leveling system, so levels will reset. But you will get a level boost based on your current level, so that you don't start from scratch.
Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Hiddai
[QUOTE="Hiddai"][QUOTE="INF1DEL"]

harry_james_pot

It is confirmed. All of your old blogs will be moved into the new site. And while there will still be user reviews, we don't know if the old ones will carry over or not. There will be a new leveling system, so levels will reset. But you will get a level boost based on your current level, so that you don't start from scratch.

I guess i need to save my reviews on my PC for a while...when all this will take place?
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts
[QUOTE="Hiddai"][QUOTE="harry_james_pot"][QUOTE="Hiddai"] Can you, the Admins\Mods, confirm it?

I guess i need to save my reviews on my PC for a while...when all this will take place?

Hi There ill tick in here The Beta Team (Alpha) just started. So we have no Launch period 100% unless Lark has a Projected Time
Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
but we're still going to have System Wars, boards for platforms and special interests, etc.LarkAnderson
And NOT one of them will be genre forums, because it's barely alive,and for a valid reason...its wasting a lot of space
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Dark theme better be available right from the get-go or a lot of forum people (myself included) will go elsewhere. And I hope to god the layout doesn't look exactly the same as Giantbomb's. 

Also, why aren't the profile levels carrying over? I admit they aren't of the utmost importance, but they show how long members have been dedicated to the site, and I've always enjoyed leveling up, quite frankly, even if it is trivial. I don't think I'm the only one who will be disappointed to see them go, either. 

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#59 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Dark theme better be available right from the get-go or a lot of forum people (myself included) will go elsewhere. And I hope to god the layout doesn't look exactly the same as Giantbomb's. 

Also, why aren't the profile levels carrying over? I admit they aren't of the utmost importance, but they show how long members have been dedicated to the site, and I've always enjoyed leveling up, quite frankly, even if it is trivial. I don't think I'm the only one who will be disappointed to see them go, either. 

Vari3ty

Lark already confirmed a dark theme will be available.

They're rebuilding the system. Our levels won't carry over directly, but we will receive a significant boost whenever they get the new system in place.

I guess i need to save my reviews on my PC for a while...when all this will take place?Hiddai

Given that they're in beta now, in the near future, I would assume.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Removing the features that make Gamespot unique is not the right move to make. If I wanted to post on Giantbomb, I would be on Giantbomb.TAMKFan

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of Giant Bomb's design. Why make it look like Giant Bomb anyway? 

I don't like them either.
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

im going to keep saying this.....why the hell would i want to start over from scratch with levels. this is one of my favorite features of gs. its why i go on gs more than any other video game news website because i like leveling up. why would you take my years of activity and throw it down the drain? wtf gs....

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

im going to keep saying this.....why the hell would i want to start over from scratch with levels. this is one of my favorite features of gs. its why i go on gs more than any other video game news website because i like leveling up. why would you take my years of activity and throw it down the drain? wtf gs....

jsmoke03
Because this and taking away unions and animated gifs shows they're not very bright... All our hard work down the drain... :cry::cry::cry::cry:
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#63 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Happy with the changes so far. They may not be popular but they're necessary if this website is to avoid stagnation. This is evolution, folks - the driving force of progress and personally I'm looking forward to their implementation.

It may sting at first but you'll get used to it.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Vari3ty

jsmoke03

I kind of agree. While I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the reason I use Gamespot more than other sites, it is a nice way of seeing how long different users have been here. And why replace one leveling system with another? I've always liked the obscure game references in each of the names for every level. 

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 The-Apostle

Happy with the changes so far. They may not be popular but they're necessary if this website is to avoid stagnation. This is evolution, folks - the driving force of progress and personally I'm looking forward to their implementation.

Starshine_M2A2
Taking features away is the opposite of evolving. It's gonna be an utter mess.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

I'm not sure how useful a redesigned GS will be if it's just the same old crap in a new package.  It's the moderation that killed my enjoyment.  Between getting suspended for being "sardonic" and killing too many interesting threads with the usual lock-o-mania, the web design is not the main problem.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#67 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

are we going to be able to upload images again and could game collection look something like this instead of just list when you click See All, think it looks nicer and neater with game box art

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

are we going to be able to upload images again and could game collection look something like this instead of just list when you click See All, think it looks nicer and neater with game box art

WolfgarTheQuiet
Hi there WolfgarTheQuiet Im JP of the Beta Team. We haven't seen anything on the New way the Game Collections Page will be and we doubt we will see any until either Tuesday thru Friday as its Labor Day But its a nice Idea maybe lark and the team could use your idea in the New Site :)
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 harry_james_pot  Moderator
[QUOTE="WolfgarTheQuiet"]

Juniorpower
Hi there WolfgarTheQuiet Im JP of the Beta Team. We haven't seen anything on the New way the Game Collections Page will be and we doubt we will see any until either Tuesday thru Friday as its Labor Day But its a nice Idea maybe lark and the team could use your idea in the New Site :)

Maybe they could put an option where we can choose to show it as a list or like that^.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

Starshine_M2A2
They haven't implemented them yet....bit early to say you're happy with them. Stagnation? Nothing they've introduced has anything at all to do with avoiding stagnation. What they need is ONLY to fix all the glitches....not make a generic site based around what other sites have done. That is the definition of stagnation.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#71 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

They haven't implemented them yet....bit early to say you're happy with them.LJS9502_basic
Thanks for letting me know. Would never have noticed the completely different site layout otherwise... Although I did enjoy reading the comprehensive previews that allowed me to form a positive opinion.
Stagnation? Nothing they've introduced has anything at all to do with avoiding stagnation. What they need is ONLY to fix all the glitches....not make a generic site based around what other sites have done. That is the definition of stagnation.LJS9502_basic
The very fact that they feel change is necessary is an attempt to avoid it. Stagnation is represented by a failure to remain in motion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Stagnation is represented by a failure to remain in motion.Starshine_M2A2

Yep. It refers to a lack of advancement or developmentDescribes GameSpot's current design quite well: archaic, bloated, and rickety as hell because the entire basis for it has been in place for over a decade. This place is being held up by a thousand band-aid fixes because the code is too messy and outdated to work with as no one took the time to ever bring the place up to modern standards. If that doesn't count as stagnation, then what would?

Don't know where LJ got his definition from. That's never been what word's meant. Copycatting has never been a synonym for it.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 jsmoke03

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

Vari3ty

I kind of agree. While I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the reason I use Gamespot more than other sites, it is a nice way of seeing how long different users have been here. And why replace one leveling system with another? I've always liked the obscure game references in each of the names for every level. 

for me personally i think gs always lacked consistency. they would do features then inexplicably cancel it or put it on permanent hiatus. other websites bring more news, more editorials (weather you find those sites just a bunch of inaccurate trolls and traffic try hards is purely up to you) and more video's. gamespot always lacked that. what they did have are these quirky things like weighted game ratings with tilt. they had a game collection page which gave you an emblem for having an average collection of 8.6 or gave you a fanboy achievement for owning the most retro or pc or xbox collection.they have system wars. they had a mysterious xp formula that you earned by being more active . those quirky things is what got me through greg k's farewell and gerstman gate, the mass exodus to giant bomb and the countless features,shows and editorials that have been slowly fading from this site. they are doing away with the levels for what? why start fresh? a lot of us have been here for a long time...now they are just going to lump us in with everyone else. this is my deal breaker. i know its a stupid deal breaker...but this is what made the site worth it for me. not only was i getting all my gaming fix, i was also earning levels for it. i know its nerdy and it might even sound pathetic but this is the biggest reason why i havent left.
Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#74 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

thanks for reply, that would be great, and as someone mentioned below maybe an option for this look or who prefers list, but both could be to much to ask maybe.... hope not :roll:

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24946 Posts
I think it would be nice if the old contact system stayed. I wouldn't want it to be like Twitter or Giantbomb.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Vari3ty

How does one get into this beta? I'd be quite interested in being in it. 

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 harry_james_pot  Moderator

Vari3ty
Right now it's just a small group of us in the beta, which got selected by the staff. But you can post a comment here saying that you're interested, and you might get added. If not now, then in the next phase. (This is according to Lark)
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#78 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I read that when the new site is open, levels will be reset. Comments in this thread confirm that. Besides what commentators of the closed beta said in this thread about user levels getting boosted on the new site because of our levels in the current site, I also read elsewhere that when our levels get reset, each user will get a special emblem based on their level. Is that true?

I would not mind a Master Chief emblem which is why I am asking.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#79 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

harry_james_pot
Right now it's just a small group of us in the beta, which got selected by the staff. But you can post a comment here saying that you're interested, and you might get added. If not now, then in the next phase. (This is according to Lark)

Cool, thanks for the info! Btw, anyone know when the next Fireside Chat will be?
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 jsmoke03

gamespot is acting like microsoft right now. why would i want a boost and start over? why are they insisting that us older users have to start over with levels? i want to keep pressing forward. this is sooo forced. its like i have to prestige and lose everything i got because someone wanted a new leveling system. change the level system, but dont wipe my progress. my level shouldnt belong in a trophy room. ugh

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Vari3ty

gamespot is acting like microsoft right now. why would i want a boost and start over? why are they insisting that us older users have to start over with levels? i want to keep pressing forward. this is sooo forced. its like i have to prestige and lose everything i got because someone wanted a new leveling system. change the level system, but dont wipe my progress. my level shouldnt belong in a trophy room. ugh

jsmoke03

Is that the plan? A trophy room? So lame. 

I agree, why they just can't keep the current progression system is beyond me. 

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#82 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

Vari3ty

i guess they know better than us
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="jsmoke03"]

The_Last_Ride

Yeah... Unfortunately, they're making a catastrophic mistake. No one will be around in a few months.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Vari3ty

Different site architecture. Pasting the current old code into the fresh stuff would likely be too much of a headache to implement.

Think they said the new system would be akin to Giant Bomb's old quest system, though, which could be fun if designed correctly.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

The-Apostle

Everyone is abanding unions i am in that were really active. It's a shame. It seems they want trolls, but with the new ToU that might change Yeah... Unfortunately, they're making a catastrophic mistake. No one will be around in a few months.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#86 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

c_rake

Different site architecture. Pasting the current old code into the fresh stuff would likely be too much of a headache to implement.

Think they said the new system would be akin to Giant Bomb's old quest system, though, which could be fun if designed correctly.

Could they have written new code and it be used in a way that levels users like the current (Old) code?

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

c_rake

Don't worry, it won't be. Giant Bomb's site is so atrocious it couldn't possibly be designed correctly. Only an idiot would use that site's engine.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Vari3ty

Gamespot should be Gamespot, not Giantbomb or IGN or whoever they're going to try to be next. The community is going to take a nosedive if this transition goes as poorly as it seems to be right now, in which case I'm no longer going to be around and I'm guessing a lot of others won't be either. 

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 jsmoke03
[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

The-Apostle

Don't worry, it won't be. Giant Bomb's site is so atrocious it couldn't possibly be designed correctly. Only an idiot would use that site's engine.

well then thats a for sure reason for me to leave. this was something that made gs standout from the rest of the other websites. questing? agreed with apostle on this one, if i wanted that, i could just go to giantbomb
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 The_Last_Ride

Gamespot should be Gamespot, not Giantbomb or IGN or whoever they're going to try to be next. The community is going to take a nosedive if this transition goes as poorly as it seems to be right now, in which case I'm no longer going to be around and I'm guessing a lot of others won't be either. 

Vari3ty
Yet they don't seem to realize this
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 The-Apostle
[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

The_Last_Ride
Yet they don't seem to realize this

That or they refuse to listen to our demands that they not go through with their change. A change I guarantee will kill GameSpot.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 c_rakestraw  Moderator

That or they refuse to listen to our demands that they not go through with their change. A change I guarantee will kill GameSpot.The-Apostle

Uh-huh. Sure. People said the same thing the last time GameSpot redesigned itself and look where we are now. Site's still going strong.

Scalper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 Scalper
Member since 2002 • 437 Posts

Everyone seemed to hate when facebook changed too. That seems to still be going.

Lets wait for the change and see if you like it or not.

This site is like a really old house. You can only repair it so many times. Sometimes you need to redo the wiring and everything that makes the house(site) work. And if 90%(or more) of the users don't use certain things it's really hard to spend time and money on it.

-Toshy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 -Toshy-
Member since 2008 • 1376 Posts
Lets wait for the change and see if you like it or not.Scalper
I can only speak my opinion on the forums (since tbh that's the only feature I use). In this case, there are other sites (Giant Bomb, Comic Vine, etc.) that currently use the exact same layout that GS is switching to. If I don't like the forum layout for those sites, then I won't like it here either.

Even though I don't use the site's other features, the rest of the redesign looks great.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 The-Apostle

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]That or they refuse to listen to our demands that they not go through with their change. A change I guarantee will kill GameSpot.c_rake

Uh-huh. Sure. People said the same thing the last time GameSpot redesigned itself and look where we are now. Site's still going strong.

When you think about it, the current look isn't too much different from the last look. The new look (the GiantBomb look) looks like crap. As GiantBomb looks like crap.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 jsmoke03

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]That or they refuse to listen to our demands that they not go through with their change. A change I guarantee will kill GameSpot.c_rake

they didnt change much from the redesign from the last one. there were still levels, the forums pretty much stayed the same, game collection was still there....they are changing a lot of what made gs gs in the first place. i dont think there is going to be a nose dive because most of the old gs members already left or arent that active anymore. off course there are still going to be people hanging around, but people like me who have been here awhile and genuinely enjoyed those features they are changing are going to leave or going to be here ways less. if the staff and the mods dont care about that, then its fine, they dont seem to want to listen much when it comes to this issue.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

if the staff and the mods dont care about that, then its fine, they dont seem to want to listen much when it comes to this issue. jsmoke03

the mods have nothing to do with the site redesign.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 The_Last_Ride

There were a lot of people that did leave. The forums aren't as active as before. The news articles though are a different matter
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 The-Apostle
Just received my invite to the beta. Not interested but thanks anyway. >_>
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 The-Apostle

Just learned the Sports forum is gone, giving me even more reason to leave. This site is such a waste now...

R.I.P. GameSpot, reborn as GameBomb I guess...