NEW: GameSpot User Image Galleries

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rossuron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Rossuron
Member since 2003 • 473 Posts

I think I know why they weren't up loading. I think they were .bmp files. I shall go and check right now though. Thanks for the help Robert.

EDIT: Yeah. My bad. They were .bmp files. JPEG works just fine. Sorry for the fuss.

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#202 Cyrax-Sektor
Member since 2006 • 12060 Posts
Suggestion: Maybe you could move the Images tab to the left and Tags would be on the right so it organizes things.
StraiN-ShifTeD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#203 StraiN-ShifTeD
Member since 2004 • 574 Posts
Very nice feature! No more imageshack, photobucket or myspace! :D
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#204 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 65506 Posts
Has anyone answered yet why they put a 1 after each picture? I have been going threw my pictures and editing the name to get rid of the 1. Other than that, I really like this new feature!ComradeCrash
that's due to the multiple upload thing i think...as each picture gets a number 1-10 on them when you upload several at once...tho i had trouble egtting all the images to actually upload when i uploaded severla at once..i've since deleted them...i want all the images to actually appear when i upload them so i'm gonna wait til the bugs are fixed before sorting everything out with it..
Very nice feature! No more imageshack, photobucket or myspace! :DStraiN-ShifTeD
i think ppl will still be using them for quite a while...at least for images that they dnt want public...as there's no options for making images private on here...altho i guess they might add the option eventually..
Avatar image for StarbucksAddict
StarbucksAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#205 StarbucksAddict
Member since 2005 • 38 Posts

[QUOTE="OhhSnap50893"]Question, are .jpg images the only ones that are allowed? I've tried twice to upload the image in my signature (it's a .png) and it isn't working. I did, however, upload 5 screenshots from a video (which were in .jpg format) and they worked fine.maa4208
Please GameSpot, I personally NEED this. All of the images that I make in Photoshop are .pngs and I would hate to have to re-save them as .jpgs. If you could allow .pngs that would be REALLY great. I was wondering why nothing was uploading for me. :P

Same here man, I've got Pics Saved In .pngs and I Can't upload them to my album becuase it wont accept .pngs :( 

mantis789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#206 mantis789
Member since 2003 • 511 Posts

Nice one :D

waitaseck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#207 waitaseck
Member since 2006 • 2309 Posts

It is useful. I uploaded a few avatars.

soundofspeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#208 soundofspeet
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

BUG:I noticed a format problem with the BBcode link to the art I post. When I post it, it doesn't produce an image because it's improperly formatted. For example:

[IMG=http://ui15.gamespot.com/686/elfkatanaroletoplay_5.jpg]

That is what the Share field gives me to post. As you can see, it doesn't produce an image.

However, if I type the format as follows:

*IMG*http://ui15.gamespot.com/686/elfkatanaroletoplay_5.jpg*/IMG* (obviously exchanging the asterisks for the appropriate brackets)

I should get this:

Some people who will want to use this probably aren't intimately familiar enough with BBcode to realize what's wrong.

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts
[QUOTE="mattyftm"]

The picture just comes up "image processing" and wont display...

Robert
It takes some time to process. With my DSL 300k Internet connection, it took 1-2 minutes.

this has nothing to do with your connection. we put the new images into a queue and it takes anywhere from 1 second to 2 minutes for the queue to get new images.

Does GameSpot have any future plans to pick moderators targeted for this specific job? Or will video mods do it?
Spincut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#210 Spincut
Member since 2004 • 4203 Posts

while i havent found a file size limit yet (or perhaps a downsizing ratio), is the max resolution size really 327x514? that does seem a bit small. That means no batters as well as alot of other generally bigger images.

sure it might still be good for some things but the usage might be a bit limited with such a small resolution to confine pictures. Then again it's only just come out so maybe once the fervor has died downthe feature will be bolstered a little more.

StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#211 StarFox-Elite
Member since 2006 • 9592 Posts
well what i want to know now is why can't i upload more than 3 pics to one album when im told i can do 10 at a time?
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 Phantom5800
Member since 2006 • 10200 Posts

while i havent found a file size limit yet (or perhaps a downsizing ratio), is the max resolution size really 327x514? that does seem a bit small. That means no batters as well as alot of other generally bigger images.

sure it might still be good for some things but the usage might be a bit limited with such a small resolution to confine pictures. Then again it's only just come out so maybe once the fervor has died downthe feature will be bolstered a little more.

Dirk13
not sure:?, I have a desktop background uploaded so I dont think thats right.
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator

BUG:I noticed a format problem with the BBcode link to the art I post. When I post it, it doesn't produce an image because it's improperly formatted. For example:

dn3datomiced
well on most forums the [IMG=] form is actually correct BBCode...GS seems to be an exception to that tho...it either needs to be made to work on the forums or the displayed code needs to be changed...
[QUOTE="Dirk13"]

Phantom5800
not sure:?, I have a desktop background uploaded so I dont think thats right.

yer that does seem a little small..especially considering there's a wallpaper section when you upload images...and wallpapers generally tend to be about 1024x768
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts

Dirk13
I have uploaded a full banner ;)
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 StarFox-Elite
[QUOTE="Dirk13"]

fastesttruck

Check my album, I uploaded a full wallpaper!
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Phantom5800
[QUOTE="fastesttruck"][QUOTE="Dirk13"]

StarFox-Elite

Check my album, I uploaded a full wallpaper!

so have I :|
langrisser2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#217 langrisser2005
Member since 2004 • 2285 Posts
This is cool, I can upload the many images I use personally and for Gamespot right here, thx!
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
What kind of monthly bandwidth do we get? And how much space do we have? I paid for a photobucket premium account so it would suck if i could have it for free here :?
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 StarFox-Elite

BUG!

I found when using the album, its not actually possible to load a single picture, I can upload 2 or 3 but when I try to upload the full amount (10 pictures) I only got 3 to actually process and upload.

By the way, Sorry If I missed this out when reading, but can somebody state the type of files that can be uploaded?

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 fastesttruck

BUG!

I found when using the album, its not actually possible to load a single picture, I can upload 2 or 3 but when I try to upload the full amount (10 pictures) I only got 3 to actually process and upload.

By the way, Sorry If I missed this out when reading, but can somebody state the type of files that can be uploaded?

StarFox-Elite
I have uploaded 10 at a time and it works. If some of them are files that they dont allow, they wont show up.
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Phantom5800
What kind of monthly bandwidth do we get? And how much space do we have? I paid for a photobucket premium account so it would suck if i could have it for free here :?X360PS3AMD05
ya sucks for you, from what they said its unlimited bandwidth and file space

StarFox-Elite
only jpg and gif right now, they are working on png
Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Robert
Member since 2006 • 283 Posts

That is what the Share field gives me to post. As you can see, it doesn't produce an image.

However, if I type the format as follows:

*IMG*http://ui15.gamespot.com/686/elfkatanaroletoplay_5.jpg*/IMG* (obviously exchanging the asterisks for the appropriate brackets)

I should get this:

Some people who will want to use this probably aren't intimately familiar enough with BBcode to realize what's wrong.

dn3datomiced
Fixed. Thanks!
RobotOpBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 RobotOpBuddy  Moderator
[QUOTE="StarFox-Elite"]

BUG!

fastesttruck
I have uploaded 10 at a time and it works. If some of them are files that they dont allow, they wont show up.

well i had a similar problem and all of the files were .jpgs (& 1 or 2 .gifs)...only 1 or 2 actually got uploaded properly tho...i haven't tried again since tho so it may have been fixed by now...
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 StarFox-Elite
Oh wait, Ok I think I can tell what can be uploaded now actually, I found some of the files I had were invalid or corrupted... No jpeg,tiff/TIFF,BITMAP, or other... PNG is being worked on, GIF, JPEG and what else is there... (My Bad, some files were corrupted and stuff...)
Spincut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Spincut

it was just the view original button was a little ubiqutous, leaving anything larger than 514x~327 to seem like it got limited.

also though, if the images is small enough it can generall be right-clicked and saved, but if you right click it's properties, like say, for my avatars that i had uploaded, it says 94x94 for its size, when it's actually 80x80. Luckily though whatever extra border is added by the interface isnt saved with it if you want to do a right click and save for those smaller pictures.

furthermore though, a filesize limit is still in question.

Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Robert

it was just the view original button was a little ubiqutous, leaving anything larger than 514x~327 to seem like it got limited.

also though, if the images is small enough it can generall be right-clicked and saved, but if you right click it's properties, like say, for my avatars that i had uploaded, it says 94x94 for its size, when it's actually 80x80. Luckily though whatever extra border is added by the interface isnt saved with it if you want to do a right click and save for those smaller pictures.

furthermore though, a filesize limit is still in question.

Dirk13
I've said it a few times already, there are no filesize or dimension limits.
Spincut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Spincut
sorry about that, i was following the thread pretty closely, but even though i did see that there were no bandwith limits (obviously, since not even the videos have them) i must have missed it (as i missed the original view field, which you may want to bump up to the bottom of the image instead if people keep not seeing it).
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
So how is this possible if we're not premium members?? Unlimited resolution, bandwidth, space? It's too good to be true and nothing is free in this world.
Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Robert
So how is this possible if we're not premium members?? Unlimited resolution, bandwidth, space? It's too good to be true and nothing is free in this world.X360PS3AMD05
Would you like me to add some limits, so you can feel better about this? I'm not sure what to tell you.
StarFox-Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 StarFox-Elite
Shhh....quiet, you're gonna give the Admin ideas!
Phantom5800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Phantom5800
[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]So how is this possible if we're not premium members?? Unlimited resolution, bandwidth, space? It's too good to be true and nothing is free in this world.Robert
Would you like me to add some limits, so you can feel better about this? I'm not sure what to tell you.

no I like it now with no limits :), and I think you should fix it so that the BB Code is actually the way its used on GS, this way there won't be as much confusion on why it doesn't work
StanBlocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#232 StanBlocker
Member since 2005 • 576 Posts

Robert. I'm loving the new feature. Make life a bit simpler. This will ensure that if you can access GS then you can see the images rather than relying on third party sites for images. I have a few points and suggestions to make.

1. Rating images would be good. Just like videos.

2. Someone said recommending images. This is bad. You recommend a video so people can see the recommendations before viewing. An image is small in file size and as such loads quick and is displayed in its entirety. Rating 1 - 5 would be good but recommending is out.

3. No limits works just fine. Thankyou for the kindness. A definite attraction to help the site run smoother. Just leave that aspect alone.

4. png images is a must. Many have asked for this previous and you said soon. I am creative and if you study my profile you will see I have used png images to create some interesting effects. I use the quality of jpeg's and the transparency of gif's (png) to enable images to have rounded corners and fades to blend with the background's of GameSpot. I have to use png files to achieve this is because users can change the CSS style which in turn changes the page background colour. Using jpeg files is off the books as the fade will stick out when the page background is changed. For a working example pop over to my profile and look at how the top image of the blog fades out. Then use the background colour changer next to the GameSpot search bar to see how the png ensures the fade remains. i.e. Image to blue, Same image to white.

5. If there are no limits on this feature then there should be no limits when adding images via the user preferences window. I noticed that the images tab there allows you to upload an avatar, banner and profile image but there all limited. Seems a but redundant if we can all at level 3 upload to the new images thing then link the URL in the prefs window.

Apologies for long points and unclear views. If you answer these questions and views please use quotes. I don't fancy scrolling about. Thankyou

Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Robert

Robert. I'm loving the new feature. Make life a bit simpler. This will ensure that if you can access GS then you can see the images rather than relying on third party sites for images. I have a few points and suggestions to make.

1. Rating images would be good. Just like videos.

2. Someone said recommending images. This is bad. You recommend a video so people can see the recommendations before viewing. An image is small in file size and as such loads quick and is displayed in its entirety. Rating 1 - 5 would be good but recommending is out.

3. No limits works just fine. Thankyou for the kindness. A definite attraction to help the site run smoother. Just leave that aspect alone.

4. png images is a must. Many have asked for this previous and you said soon. I am creative and if you study my profile you will see I have used png images to create some interesting effects. I use the quality of jpeg's and the transparency of gif's (png) to enable images to have rounded corners and fades to blend with the background's of GameSpot. I have to use png files to achieve this is because users can change the CSS style which in turn changes the page background colour. Using jpeg files is off the books as the fade will stick out when the page background is changed. For a working example pop over to my profile and look at how the top image of the blog fades out. Then use the background colour changer next to the GameSpot search bar to see how the png ensures the fade remains. i.e. Image to blue, Same image to white.

5. If there are no limits on this feature then there should be no limits when adding images via the user preferences window. I noticed that the images tab there allows you to upload an avatar, banner and profile image but there all limited. Seems a but redundant if we can all at level 3 upload to the new images thing then link the URL in the prefs window.

Apologies for long points and unclear views. If you answer these questions and views please use quotes. I don't fancy scrolling about. Thankyou

StanBlocker

The feature set of what you see is the initial product, it will always improve. In creating this I thought about things like rating, PNG, etc - but I wanted to get out the base product first then make these improvements.

1. I agree, rating would be nice, but will do no good unless we offer a view that is sorted by rating, or an image hub.

2. I agree, recommending images would not be worthwhile.

3. sure.

4. I know all about alpha blending and the various capabilities of file formats. I plan to add PNG support it will not be too difficult but it will require some testing first.

5. I did not write those features, but I'll bring up your point to other admins.

StanBlocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#234 StanBlocker
Member since 2005 • 576 Posts
Thanks for the reply rob
soundofspeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#235 soundofspeet
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Fixed. Thanks!Robert

Thank you! That's going to make it a lot easier for people to get the right results.

Also, I'd like to add that, if you're the one responsible for this image system, it's great. I like the multiple sizes, including avatar-friendly, the albums are pretty straightforward, and it's nice that you are allowing for the bandwidth that you are. You have my sincerest thanks.

yian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 yian
Member since 2003 • 5166 Posts
Any words on the possibility to make union associations to the albums?
Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Robert

[QUOTE="Robert"]Fixed. Thanks!dn3datomiced

Thank you! That's going to make it a lot easier for people to get the right results.

Also, I'd like to add that, if you're the one responsible for this image system, it's great. I like the multiple sizes, including avatar-friendly, the albums are pretty straightforward, and it's nice that you are allowing for the bandwidth that you are. You have my sincerest thanks.

Yes, I created this. I am glad you like it.
Any words on the possibility to make union associations to the albums?yian
As Teivan said, there will probably be no new features for unions (including images) until unions are rewritten/fixed.
double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#238 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
Yes, I created this. I am glad you like it.Robert
Thought I would give you a thank you as well, your work is appreciated, and I am thankful for having the convenience of this feature:) You do good work 8)
_Sam_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 _Sam_
Member since 2003 • 31483 Posts
is this feature going to be improved?
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#240 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
What needs to be improved?
Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Robert
We are now updating the views to images and albums on a daily basis.
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 fastesttruck
That is good to know :D:);)
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Cyrax-Sektor
I can now see how many views my images have gotten. It also tells us how many views are new, just like profile views. 8)
fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 fastesttruck
Did a BandWidth Limit get added or something? I uploaded an image for my sig and now its just a box with a red X :|:?
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Cyrax-Sektor

Could it be possible to add an album within an album?

-Masterchef-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 -Masterchef-
Member since 2007 • 10244 Posts

Could it be possible to add an album within an album?

Cyrax-Sektor

not at the moment, i've tried to do that too
Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Cyrax-Sektor
I can't upload anymore pics! :o
Robert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Robert

I can't upload anymore pics! :oCyrax-Sektor

Sorry about that, we had a disk problem last night. This should be resolved. 

Cyrax-Sektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Cyrax-Sektor

[QUOTE="Cyrax-Sektor"]I can't upload anymore pics! :oRobert

Sorry about that, we had a disk problem last night. This should be resolved. 

Oh, thanks! :)

Guess I panicked. :P

kappareign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 kappareign
Member since 2007 • 2413 Posts

ive got a slight dilemma with user images i just wanted to make known. ill repost this in tech support as well since i wasnt sure if this should go here. but anyway. ive uploaded some pictures of my resident evil 4 gameplay, and i wanted to associate the pictures with... obviously, the game resident evil 4. the problem is, im only given the option to associate the pictures with either the 'game universe' or 'just this game'

if i associate my RE4 pictures with the RE 'game universe', they show up in all resident evil games user images. which i dont want. because RE4 pictures dont have anything to do with RE: dead aim or RE2 or etc. on the other hand, if i associate my pics with 'just this game' i am forced to choose a specific platform. resident evil 4 is on the GC, PS2, PC, and soon to be on wii. so the problem is my pictures only show up in that one gallery of the platform version of the game i was forced to select. just for example: if i upload a pic and associate it with resident evil 4 (gc), my pictures then wont show up in the resident evil 4 (ps2) gallery... even though its the same game. i believe the 'just this game' option should classify 'just [game title]', not 'just [game title] for [platform]'. could it be changed so that single game associations disregard platform?