BUG: ui##.gamespot.com user image servers refusing connections / timing out

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 0

#51 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts

None of the images I have hosted on Gamespot are displaying, including my avatar.

Happy gaming,

Boz

zinoalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52 zinoalex
Member since 2008 • 1057 Posts

I guess you are right Dracula. But it's just frustrating.I'm sure all will be fixed in due time.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
I can see my avatar and my banner, but pics that i have uploaded into my images are gone and pics that i put in my blogs are gone.
syam32245340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 syam32245340
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts

Got the same problem too

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Bozanimal

I guess you are right Dracula. But it's just frustrating.I'm sure all will be fixed in due time.

zinoalex
Between broken banners, styIe, cIass, and the empty promise of a "returning Soapbox I believe your faith may be misplaced. Since 2003 I have never had a reason to believe that a Gamespot bug or error, once discovered, will ever be fixed. The emphasis has always been on introducing new features like Gamespot "wide" (2007ish), Facebook integration and FUSE, never on fixing old issues. Boz
NS_NIXON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 NS_NIXON
Member since 2005 • 180 Posts

I'm experiencing this problem too... All uploaded images to Gamespot servers are invisible for me... Tested on my two PCs and all three sugested browsers.

hart704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 hart704
Member since 2004 • 2994 Posts
My uploaded images are not visible either.
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#58 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="dab198"] When they're in the office. Engineers aren't available on weekends.

Any luck that they'll fix it sometime this week? It's quite annoying. I had this whole Catherine theme going while I was playing Catherine, and well, I'm on to other games so it defeats the point now.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#59 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Mine are displaying. Actually, I want to change mine, but it won't change.
julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#60 julianozuca
Member since 2006 • 1944 Posts

Mine are absolutely messed up--along with a bunch of other things. I've been feeling like sailing a ghost ship here lately... :shock:

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

Any luck that they'll fix it sometime this week? It's quite annoying. I had this whole Catherine theme going while I was playing Catherine, and well, I'm on to other games so it defeats the point now.JustPlainLucas

Wait...so we have an additional problem? You can't even change it at all? I can remove it manually and see if it will let you add a new one.

Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

The only image I have I do believe is hosted by GS and is not showing.

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
So, what did they do to their image server?
Enterprise-E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 Enterprise-E
Member since 2002 • 5322 Posts

I am having the same problem as others as well. None of my images that i have had posted are not showing.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
Having the same problem too, all the images I've uploaded can't be seen anymore.
Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#66 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

All my images decided to Fly Away. And yes I had to use that meme, it's a new one but, catchy. All of my glorified sigs and avatars have been eaten by darkness.

trodeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#67 trodeback
Member since 2007 • 3161 Posts

All of my uploaded images do not display but my icon and banner still display fine.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#68 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Question for Gmax - if a glitch occurs that lasts as long as this one, why don't they fall back to the previous software version where images displayed? Then they can work on the code offline. In my military experience managing a mainframe, we had to fall back if new software introduced a glitch.
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#69 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts

Question for Gmax - if a glitch occurs that lasts as long as this one, why don't they fall back to the previous software version where images displayed? Then they can work on the code offline. In my military experience managing a mainframe, we had to fall back if new software introduced a glitch.topsemag55
I don't know why you keep targetting questions like that at gmax ;) He can only talk hypothetically, just as much as the rest of us.

We don't know why GS staff do the things they do or don't do, and in some cases like this one, the problem isn't necessarily caused by a change, so there's nothing to roll back to.

PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#70 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

Yup having the problem too. Can't see anything in my image section.

Wanderer5
Same here. Also, not sure if this is related or not (probably not seeing as a few days ago it was showing/working) but is anybody else missing their 'Now Playing' section? Mines isn't there.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#71 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
I don't know why you keep targetting questions like that at gmax ;) dab198
Asking a question is considered "targetting"?:? I defer to him, as he has the Tech Support expertise. Can't ask admin, they hardly post here. Besides, Gmax helped me out of a glitch in my profile - no one else had any solutions.:) Gmax is the perfect choice for this forum, he has system knowledge and helps people. He's the only one posting here we can ask if we don't know the answer. He's like the "go-to" guy, the best at Tech Support answers. If I ask someone a question, it isn't to target them, but because I'm thinking they will have an answer for me, based upon the forum posts I've read.
gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
Hmm. Well, it's true that I'm an outsider like all other non-staff, so there are plenty of times I'm making an educated guess about what's going on, and there's only so much that can be discerned from that vantage point. Even if I guess correctly about a few things here and there, there are going to be a lot of things I can't make heads or tails of. I'm also not familiar with all parts of the site - there are several things I stay away from specifically - so staff and other mods are really able to help out in some of those areas. I'm also not here constantly (even if it might seem that way), so I'm not always going to be the first on the scene or the first one who is going to have the time it may take to compose a useful response. Tech Support isn't my personal forum, and as a general rule it's probably best to approach the forum from an "at large" perspective. Tech Support is for everyone, so a good way to keep things on topic and as helpful as possible to all users is to leverage all of us at once. We're all going to try to pitch in where we can. That said, if there's anything you feel like you'd like to ask me specifically you can always send me a pm and then there's a good chance I'll at least get to look at it the next time I'm on. As far as this particular issue (which is still in progress as far as I can tell), I pretty much concur with dab. My speculation is that it may not be a software issue per se. It "feels" more like a network configuration problem, and it may not even be something that happened within the immediate GS organization, so it's not clear that there would even be a way to roll back to the previous configuration, or who would be involved. Another possibility to keep in mind is that there are times when issues like this pop up as a side effect of trying to resolve some other issue, so that even when this is discovered, reversing the change isn't an option because it would "unresolve" the other issue. My guess is that this probably isn't one of those situations, but I really wouldn't know, and despite this seeming like something that should have been simpler to fix it has obviously gone on for a while now, so something must be standing in the way. Whether it's just priorities, inter- or intraorganizational machinations, or some unseen technical complication, there's no way for us to know. Whatever it is, we're very nearly at 5% unavailability for the year, and some users may wind up having to rethink GS image hosting.

Wolf-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#73 Wolf-5
Member since 2005 • 1730 Posts

I hope this resolves very soon. If not, I hope there is a wau to recover some of my images I. I need them yesterday.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Dracula68

I hope this resolves very soon. If not, I hope there is a wau to recover some of my images I. I need them yesterday.

Wolf-5
What images do you need? I can get them as I can see them fine.
berto64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 berto64
Member since 2010 • 12690 Posts

ao now we all know it wont be fixed that quick.

but im seeing a domino effect here.

in around ljuly all the feedback bar,now playing list,and the updates bar werent appearing till around the late of the month in which most was fixed then it started another bug when you clock for the game updates near the inbox it redrects to GS Fuse.and now we have this image problem.so eyah like a domino effect probaly if i can say that.

but my question is sure you dotn know the count of the servers used to operate the site.but is it only like 1 group of servers or its more complex.and second how come when one problem fixed then how does a new one surfaces like im goin to be al weird but lke if the "bug" is moving to another place.is there like virus in the servers.

sory if i got off topic abit im jsut wondering.

gmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 gmax  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 6865 Posts
I don't think we can really answer those questions in very much detail here, but if it helps, the aggregate list of servers that make up the entirety of "GameSpot" is fairly complex, even if you exclude all the trackers and advertisers. There are at least 32 ui## server domain names, for example, but they all seem to resolve to the same IP address. I can't say for sure why they do that, but it might have to do with some kind of back end load balancing strategy. The fact that staff can still see the ui## servers while the rest of the world can not is suggestive of a network configuration issue, but again, that's just a guess. As far as the possible ongoing migration of gremlins in the system, I think we'll have to look for other theories. Most likely some things break on their own, while others have some (inadvertent?) help.

berto64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 berto64
Member since 2010 • 12690 Posts

so in saying in the main offices of GameSpot has exclusive acess to the servers and can se anything while most mods and other non essential memeberss cna have acess on.

to say we just cant get to a server that ben afected while the site s running and "quarantive"the server from any bugs and glitches.but it migth sound risky just to get to it.

well thats a good asnwer though butt o say jsut have to see if the engineers can solve it.

Double_Wide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#78 Double_Wide
Member since 2006 • 1985 Posts

I'm kind of thinking this might be for maintenance or something and that it might clear up quickly, but no one else has mentioned it, so I'll put this up just in case. I noticed this in a number of ways, but the images in my own user image area are not showing, and neither are anyone else's. As near as I can tell the ui##.gamespot.com servers are either refusing connections and/or timing out on connection attempts. Curiously, the userimage.gamespot.com servers still seem to be working as usual. I'm skeptical that this is just affecting me, but you never know... So I'll pin this, but if it's over quickly or it's really just me someone else can take care of it when it all becomes clear. Good morning GameSpot.

gmax

I'm actually having this same issue as well and found this thread when attempting to complain about it.

woonsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79 woonsa
Member since 2008 • 6322 Posts
Been happening for a while. First was my avatar now all my other images are gone.
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#80 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
Thanks for posting this up gmax
fabz_95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#81 fabz_95
Member since 2006 • 15425 Posts
I hope this can get fixed soon, my banner, signature and blog image is hosted by GS :(.
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Dracula68
This may be fixed I am told. Can anybody confirm?
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#83 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
Yep, looks to be pointing to the correct place now
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Dracula68
Yep, looks to be pointing to the correct place nowchicknfeet
Thanks, unpinning but I'll leave open just in case for a bit. Anybody not seeing them try and clear your cache first before you post here please.
s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#85 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

YES! Thank you. *returns*

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Bozanimal

Images are back up: Both in my albums, linked in my blogs, and linked via my avatar.

For all intents and purposes it appears the problem has been resolved.

Thank you, Gamespot Tech folks!

Boz

nsoliveira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 nsoliveira
Member since 2006 • 26075 Posts
Everything is ok with my images so all cool. Thank you Gamespot Tech staff. :)
zinoalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#88 zinoalex
Member since 2008 • 1057 Posts

All is well again See folks...good thinks come to those who wait! Thanks to whoever gor the issue resolved.

Sandulf29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Sandulf29
Member since 2010 • 14330 Posts
Sorry am late. It was fixed couple of days ago already.. Thanks for fixing it ;)
Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Dracula68

Alright we got enough replies that I am locking thread. Thanks everybody for your patience!