The World Ends With You Is Getting A Nintendo Switch Release
New content will be included for The World Ends With You's re-release.
The World Ends With You, the RPG originally released by Square Enix for Nintendo DS, is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2018. The announcement of The World Ends With You: Final Remix was made during Nintendo's surprise Direct video, during which it was also confirmed that a "sizeable" new scenario is being added to the title.
In addition to the new content, The World Ends With You: Final Remix will be playable using touchscreen or with traditional controls. The original title allowed players to use a mixture of both to manage action across both the DS's screens.
The news will no doubt be exciting for RPG fans as The World Ends With You has a reputation for being a stylish and unique take on the genre. The World Ends With You is set in Tokyo and is imbued with the spirit of urban youth and the culture that surrounds fashion and music. It's cast of characters are pulled into a parallel plane of existence and forced to take part in a game that will decide their fate. Gameplay was action-focused and spread across both screens, with players interacting through the touchscreen and pressing the physical buttons.
The World Ends With You was produced by Tetsuya Nomura, who is well known for his work on the Final Fantasy series. In GameSpot's The World Ends With You review Randolph Ramsay awarded it a 9/10.
"Flawless presentation, gameplay depth, an engaging story, and innovation all add up to make The World Ends With You a worthy addition to the already-impressive pantheon of Square Enix works," he said. "There's very little to complain about in this package, which makes The World Ends With You a must-have for any DS owner needing an RPG fix."
During the surprise Nintendo Direct a number of other big announcements were made. These include free Super Mario Odyssey DLC and a Dark Souls remaster for Switch. You can watch the full Nintendo Direct here or see a roundup of all the new Nintendo Switch games announced here. Our full coverage is outlined below.
- Watch Today's Surprise Nintendo Direct, Which Is All About New Switch Games
- All The New Switch Games Announced At Today's Nintendo Direct
- Dark Souls Remastered Coming To Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo Switch Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze Port Announced, Release Date Confirmed
- Free Super Mario Odyssey DLC Update Coming To Nintendo Switch, Here's What It Adds
- Zelda Action Game Hyrule Warriors Announced For Nintendo Switch, With Breath Of The Wild Costumes
- New Mario + Rabbids DLC Makes An Iconic Nintendo Favorite Playable On Switch
- Nintendo Switch Re-release Of The World Ends With You Announced
- New Pokken Tournament DX DLC Brings Fresh Characters To Switch Version
- New Nintendo Switch Mario Tennis Game Revealed, Release Window Announced
- Payday 2 Nintendo Switch Release Date Confirmed
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.