The Broken XBOX 360 Discussion & Help Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chu-Fye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Chu-Fye
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts
I live in the UK, but I have a U.S system. Where do I stand?
FooFighter145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 FooFighter145
Member since 2003 • 415 Posts
Stand here :lol:
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 colonel_beeb
Member since 2006 • 2020 Posts
My 360 froze today. It annoyed me because i had to repeat a certain section of oblivion several times before i could get past it. When i eventually did get past it the 360 froze. I turned it off and watched some tv. Came back to my 360 and turned it on. Nothing appears on my screan now whether a game is in or not. Is this a downwards spiral or is it more like a hicup?
colonel_beeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 colonel_beeb
Member since 2006 • 2020 Posts
My 360 is fine now so no worries.
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#205 JoelWhy
Member since 2006 • 82 Posts
My 360 is fine now so no worries.colonel_beeb
Just a word of warning...my system took a long, slow spiral to death. It started with the occasional freeze, and steadily got worse over the course of at least a few months. But, it's hard to say if any one individual crash was directly related or not. I'm not saying yours is about to die (especially if this is the only crash you've experienced,) but I wouldn't say you're in the clear, yet, either. Good luck!
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 JoelWhy
[QUOTE="Chu-Fye"]I live in the UK, but I have a U.S system. Where do I stand?

Where did you buy it? If you bought it in the U.S. and then went to the UK., you're almost certainly stuck w/ the U.S. warranty. But, if you bought it from a U.S. company that sold it to you in the U.K. (e.g. you ordered it online from Toys R' Us...not even sure if they do overseas deliveries, but assuming they do...), that might change things.
Avatar image for TheBloodmage777
TheBloodmage777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 TheBloodmage777
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

I need help. So it begins here, about a week ago my 360 froze while I was playing fable. I called the 1-800-4my-xbox number and they told me to do the three steps.

1. restart- zilch, still got the three red lights

2.disconect cables and (firmly) reatach and then step one- nada, still busted

3. take out the hdd and repeat step one and two- finally it turned back on

Now today it did the same thing when I was about to go on xbox live to play halo2. I tried everything again, and lots of times too. I dont want to pay $140.00. I tried it again a little while ago and it was about to start, when it all of a sudden crashed like in 3 seconds lol. Anyone know if it does this every now and then or is my system a gonner?

Akkuga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#208 Akkuga
Member since 2006 • 377 Posts

To be honest I am not saying all of you are liars or anything because I know the 360 had some problems during launch, but I think some of you are just talking bull **** when you say your on your 3rd 360 and just want others to not want it otherwise Id think you'd have to be a pretty ****ty owner to already gone through two consoles. I have a 360, and it's had a couple glitches in the past, but nowhere near 3 red lights, and it's worked fine, keep in mind I also live in a very hot environment where my 360 is and it's on a carpet floor!

Gamezilla57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#209 Gamezilla57
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts
I wasn't asked to buy the extra warranty when I got my 360. So far I have had no problems, but if I do, is there anyway I can still buy the warranty?
alexsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 alexsk
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
http://forums.xbox.com/6884447/ShowPost.aspx
hubtones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 hubtones
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Ok, so shame on us for not doing more research before buying a 360, but Oblivion made our hearts pound, and we HAD to choose a 360 over a PS3.  but after getting two defective consoles in 2 days, we decided to read a lot more about it on the web.  it sounds like we need to just get a refund and a pre-order for a PS3.  But we are sad about Oblivion.  Was that game the deciding factor between PS3 and 360 for anyone else around here?  My suggestion is that all Elder Scrolls fans hurry and get those emails out to Bethesda letting them know that lots of us want their game, but not on 360.  i dont think it can handle it.  I've already written to them saying that i hope rumors about Oblivion being ported to PS3 are true.  If you love their games, you should do it too.
hubtones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 hubtones
oh is it against the rules to write stuff like that? well if i could edit my post, i'd just say write to Bethesda then?  i dont know... i didnt realize there was some rule, so sorry if i broke it.  .i'm not saying people should buy one or the other, but just if you ARE unhappy and returning your XBOX, and want Oblivion, then.... etc...etc......

never used these board before!!!!!!!
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 JoelWhy
oh is it against the rules to write stuff like that? well if i could edit my post, i'd just say write to Bethesda then?  i dont know... i didnt realize there was some rule, so sorry if i broke it.  .i'm not saying people should buy one or the other, but just if you ARE unhappy and returning your XBOX, and want Oblivion, then.... etc...etc......

never used these board before!!!!!!!
hubtones
It didn't seem to me like you were trolling, just expressing your frustrations. But, the PS3 is a sensitive subject on this board (as is the 360, I'm guessing, on the PS3 board.) Only thing I have to say on the subject is that, if you have an inherent allegiance to one system or the other, you're a fool.
PESon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 PESon360
Member since 2006 • 87 Posts

my 360 has lag when playing game videos IF i am downloading something for hard drive

any1 had same problems?

T-Mac1H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#215 T-Mac1H
Member since 2004 • 126 Posts
My XBOX 360 broke 3 times in 9 months.  Now I have to pay $139.90 to have it fixed.  For my past repairs, I was sent refurbished systems, so I don't trust them enough to pat $140 to get it fixed.  I think they should recall these systems, or at least fix peoples systems for free.
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#216 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts
My 360 has had NO problems at all. I haven't moved it since i got it and it's in a safe, horizontal, well aired place. THen all of a sudden it just decides to freeze on me around a minute after turning it on. Anyone know why this is happening?
RonaldsSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 RonaldsSpoon
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

[QUOTE="colonel_beeb"]My 360 is fine now so no worries.JoelWhy
Just a word of warning...my system took a long, slow spiral to death. It started with the occasional freeze, and steadily got worse over the course of at least a few months. But, it's hard to say if any one individual crash was directly related or not. I'm not saying yours is about to die (especially if this is the only crash you've experienced,) but I wouldn't say you're in the clear, yet, either. Good luck!

Same thing happened to me, I bought it on DEC 11 and it started to freeze and even gave me the red lights on occasion, I thought nothing of it and put it down to hiccups until yesterday when this happened...

suffice to say it is now on its way back to get fixed, IM not happy about this and I do not believe MS is telling the truth about the percentage of Duds,I don't see any nintendo or psp or any other consoles or handhelds having this vast amount of problems and they sell as many as MS. IM actually not looking forwards to getting my 360 back because the odds on it breaking down again seem to be in the 70-30 margin. I have lost faithin MS but will still enjoy the console if it works,I will not be buying anything MS in future.

bbbbaaaadddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 bbbbaaaadddd
Member since 2003 • 289 Posts
I have a problem that everyone Ive told has never heard of. I have a partially defective harddrive. I say partially because it works perfectly except for the backwords compatability software. Even after updating the BC software it still doesnt work. It just gives me cannot read disk error every time I put in any Xbox game (ive tried Halo, Halo 2, and DOA3) Read this thread for more info: http://forums.qj.net/f-xbox-360-general-90/t-backwards-compatibility-problem-68741.html
ilovesandrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 ilovesandrine
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts
funny i thought a lot of 360 broke but it's not ture only 100  or so in the us by hard ware poblems but a lot of broke by the owners not takeing good care of them. Also some people lie to get you to buy a ps3 just like when DC came out the same happen just becuse it had a head start.it's true mine broke but i had since the day it came out but it's just broke 2 weeks a go it lastd a good 10 month's mayb i did not take care of it i always put it in the back of my car so may it got hit by something real hard. so my point is don't let all this stop you from buying a 360 it's just like DC all over. all it is nintendo fanboy's and sony fanboy's lieing to make you not buy one but mostly sony fanboy's becuse the did the same with DC and am not lieing it's true look it up. I do plan to buy a PS3 and WII when the come out . But the 360 is fun to play and as good games.
Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
i kno i can find this answer somewhere in this thread but theres too many pages to look thru, but i got an email from microsoft today sayin the they just received my 360 and im wondering roughly how long does it take to get back to me,
ilovesandrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 ilovesandrine
Member since 2005 • 507 Posts

i kno i can find this answer somewhere in this thread but theres too many pages to look thru, but i got an email from microsoft today sayin the they just received my 360 and im wondering roughly how long does it take to get back to me, BeanTownBrown86

did you get the e mail today. in about 5 days don't coun't week end's

yes i get mine back on friday or monday i hope friday it's been 16 days .

yahooTSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 yahooTSE
:twisted:It's so useful for me, thank you!
Ignignokt104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Ignignokt104
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
I have my 360 standing vertically and I've been having problems with its disc tray openning. It used to get stuck on occasion but now it won't open at all unless it's laying horizontally. Should I just lay it horizontally all the time or play it safe and send it in for repairs?

P.S.
Is there any way to fix the tray without having to send it in? And I'm sorry if this has already been asked.
JoelWhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 JoelWhy
If you have a console made in 2005 (i.e. Nov or Dec date stamp on the back) and had to pay MS to have it repaired, they will be issuing refunds within 4 to 6 weeks! (I read this on an Xbox forum and then called to verify it myself...feel free to call for yourself, but the phone lines have been jammed...)
helios515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 helios515
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts

If you have a console made in 2005 (i.e. Nov or Dec date stamp on the back) and had to pay MS to have it repaired, they will be issuing refunds within 4 to 6 weeks! (I read this on an Xbox forum and then called to verify it myself...feel free to call for yourself, but the phone lines have been jammed...)JoelWhy

Do you have a link to that page on the Xbox forums?

jpike05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 jpike05
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
http://forums.xbox.com/168/943579/ShowPost.aspx#943579

I called though and all I got was the "I have no idea who does and doesn't get refunds"

helios515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 helios515
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts

I called though and all I got was the "I have no idea who does and doesn't get refunds"
 jpike05

Thanks for the link, and i just got off the phone with Microsoft's Customer Service.  Any consoles made before 1-1-06 ARE getting a year added to their warranty.  The manufacturing date is on the back of the console on a sticker, right near where the power cable and ether net cables go in.  If anyone is calling them though, have patience because the lines are busy, or atleast they were when i was calling them. 

celica128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 celica128
Member since 2003 • 3660 Posts

My 360 freezes during Dead Rising. This is my third console, and every one has had freezing issues with atleast 2 or more games.

The Microsoft Xbox 360 is the most garbage console ever made. I have never had any issues with previous consoles. I am a multi-platform gamer, not a fanboy.

Akkuga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Akkuga
I have my 360 standing vertically and I've been having problems with its disc tray openning. It used to get stuck on occasion but now it won't open at all unless it's laying horizontally. Should I just lay it horizontally all the time or play it safe and send it in for repairs?

P.S.
Is there any way to fix the tray without having to send it in? And I'm sorry if this has already been asked.
Ignignokt104

I have the exact problem with mine. It pisses me off so much! I sent mine in, but they wont fix it, because it can't be, just faulty manufacturing for that specific console. If I were you I'd lay your horizontally. Me, well I am starting to think 600 dollars for a PS3 might not be that bad after all if it's well made.
ssjdagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 ssjdagas
Member since 2004 • 492 Posts
I bought a 360 a few weeks ago (PAL) and It's made December 19th 2005. I have not discovered any problems with it yet and I have it standing vertically. Are all the consoles made before 1-1-06 broken or only a few? Should I contact MS and have them take a look at it or only do that if I have problems? I have notices that the framerate drops someties in some games, but that may be normal 360 behavoir? Is it safer to have it standing horizanticaly?
Akkuga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Akkuga

The Microsoft Xbox 360 is the most garbage console ever made. I have never had any issues with previous consoles. I am a multi-platform gamer, not a fanboy.

celica128

Too true, sadly too true my friend.

Superblaine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Superblaine
[QUOTE="JoelWhy"][QUOTE="gold_elite420"]

I purchased my 360 on launch day.  Last night i was playing saints row for a bit and turned off the console for dinner.  Upon my return i pushed the on button and to my suprise i see three flashing red lights (top and bottom left and lower right).  I turned off the console and unplugged all of the wires and replugged them and still i get the red lights.  I called microsoft and they troubleshooted me threw the same steps but adding that i should try and remove the hard drive, turn on the system, and if it works to turn it off again and replace the hard drive.  This actually worked at first and i was happy has hell until it decided to freeze up on me.  When i restarted it the red lights returned.  What im trying to get at is that they said i was covered under warranty ( i purcharsed it at launch) and that they'll send me a box to send the 360 in for repair.....problem is that my xbox 360 wants to work now..... no matter how many times i turn if off and restart the system i seem to get the standard green ring.  What should i do?  Send it back, call them and ask, or keep it and pretty much wait for it to crash again?  im afraid that if i send it back then they will see that it boots with the green rings and they'll return it to me.  Ive also noticed that my xbox 360 is louder now that it boots up...almost like a loud humming sound coming from the inside.  Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated! 

gold_elite420

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your system will be...how should I put this...uhmmm, did you see Old Yeller? Well, your system will be at peace with Old Yeller very soon. You're console is doing almost EXACTLY what mine did before she croaked. I had actually forgotten about the humming sound until you mentioned it. (If you listen very closely, I think your console's actually humming a funeral hymn.)

Did you buy the extended warranty?

I did buy the extended warranty but check this out....i started noticing that i can play single player with all of my games.....my system ONLY freezes during online multiplayer....when i restart the system i get the red lights.  I called ms back with this little bit of info and the person on the line seemed alittle suprised about this.  After being on hold for dang near a half an hour he came back on the line saying that there seems to be a problem not only with my console but my hard drive as well.  I would have to send them both in.  Upon hearing this i stressed the the guy that i wanted all of my saved data but he told me everything would be deleted!  The only thing that would stay is my gamerscore and gamertag.  Does this mean that all of my achievements will be deleted or is that impossible if my gamerscore will be saved?  Has anyone else had to go threw this???  The thing that really stresses me is that on the  shipping box it CLEARLY states that if you send any assessories to ms they will NOT be returned.  What if i send in my xbox360 w/ hard drive and i get it back with no hard drive?  Even worse...what if i get it back and i cant log onto my xbox live account or i have to start over with a new gamer tag???!!  i wouldnt stress it if i didnt have a close 12000+ score!!  Thanks for listening and trying to help a fellow x360 gamer. 

same thing happened to me
Monstromo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Monstromo
Member since 2005 • 1456 Posts
Send it in.
Monstromo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Monstromo

jpike05

I called and got through after four tries, I qualified for the refund, but found out that I need not have called as the refunds are supposedly being processed automatically and will be issued within 6 or 7 weeks.

Monstromo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Monstromo

i kno i can find this answer somewhere in this thread but theres too many pages to look thru, but i got an email from microsoft today sayin the they just received my 360 and im wondering roughly how long does it take to get back to me, BeanTownBrown86

9 to 10 business days.

Avatar image for gunner123453525
gunner123453525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 gunner123453525
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
[QUOTE="masterchief2371"]Please sticky this thread asap, by the way you only have 90 days warrenty, after that, I think you'll have to pay a small amount of fees to repaire your xbox 360.bigroy666

Agreed:) sticky,sticky,sticky
90 day warranty is correct to. Small fees is incorrect, they charge you 129.00-250.00 to repair a system after the 90 day warranty, regardless of consumer fault or the system just being faulty....That sucks:(
To me 129.00-250.00 is no small fee.

this guy has a good point. 129 - 250 is not a small fee at all.
axgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 axgamer
Member since 2006 • 164 Posts
Well I have a question if you buy a year warrenty on your X360 and it breaks, when you return it and get a new one does it have a year warrenty on it too or do you have to throw out another 50 bucks to buy another year warrenty.
axgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 axgamer

Well this could be one thing of help, you shouldn't of bought the Dead Risimg game because i read that there is a rumor that the Dead Rising game can malfunction your xbox, so im not gonna even try the game.

axgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 axgamer
Dang it nobody speaks on these f*****g boards today.
johngmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 johngmills
Member since 2005 • 4349 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with the 360 crashing after playing Saints Row....I rented it and 4 minutes into the game........my 360 died....Is this a Saints Row thing...or was it just its time to go?
Diablo2343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Diablo2343
Member since 2003 • 982 Posts

GREAT NEWS FROM TGS!!!!

Microsoft has "made the decision to comp repairs for consoles manufactured before January 1, [2006] and provide refunds to the small group of customers who have already paid for repairs."  

Basically call 1-800-4MY-XBOX

growancad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 growancad

ok... since posting i called MS about the refund rumor...

Not only do i get a refund of my repair work $130, but they extended my warranty until July 2008!

So MS is making a real effort to correct things...  and for that I applaud them.

RonaldsSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 RonaldsSpoon

Not only do i get a refund of my repair work $130, but they extended my warranty until July 2008!

So MS is making a real effort to correct things...  and for that I applaud them.

growancad

Again it seems the UK is left in the cold, We do not have this offer put to us when we call MS for help, perhaps we should also have the offer of extended warranty,I mean Cmon fairs fair MS.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
why do 90%+ of posters with broken 360's have less than 30 posts?rdo
Because they created an account just for this post. Some are trolls of course, but not all.
pinefresh711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 pinefresh711
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts
Why are xboxes now breaking? I've had mine a while and it's still working fine.
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 BeanTownBrown86

growancad
thats weird, i just got off the phone wit someone and they said the info was leaked infomation that shouldnt have been out to the public and he told me to wait untill microsoft "officially" says thats what going to happen
Monstromo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Monstromo
[QUOTE="growancad"]

BeanTownBrown86

thats weird, i just got off the phone wit someone and they said the info was leaked infomation that shouldnt have been out to the public and he told me to wait untill microsoft "officially" says thats what going to happen

They did not extend your warranty unless your replacement xbox was manufactured after 1/1/06.

BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 BeanTownBrown86
[QUOTE="BeanTownBrown86"][QUOTE="growancad"]

Monstromo

They did not extend your warranty unless your replacement xbox was manufactured after 1/1/06.

ive had it since launch, i duno ill try again untill someone says something i wanna hear
RonaldsSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 RonaldsSpoon

IM on the phone right now to MS help about my 360(bought on 11-12-05) trying to get some guy to get me the supervisor,after he told me to wait while he gets him he then came back 20 mins later! and said, "the supervisor wants to kow what the problem is" after 20 mins expecting the guy to come back with the supervisor he asks me this instead,I then went on to tell him to tell the guy to actually look at the notes collected over the past 5 days to see for himself the problem, another 5 mins wait and I get a dialling tone, the guy only puts the phone downon me!

Great backup service MS just great! how can we get out 360`s even fixed if your going to let your staff just hang up on the customer. I hate MS and I wish I had never wasted my hard earned cash on this pathetic machine! along with the disgusting customer service this has got to be the worst console I have ever had the misfortune to own in my entire life.

IM now just giving up and selling the 360 soon as it gets back from MS before it breaks down again. I have no wish to be treated like this again and will not give them the opportunity to do so. Again MS you are getting a bad name, no wonder gates jumped ship. I used to love my 360 just like you guys do now but after all this pathetic customer support and having phones put down on me I have no option but to turn.