The Broken XBOX 360 Discussion & Help Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kroxfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6401 kroxfire
Member since 2006 • 189 Posts

i think we can all agree that microsoft sucks at making consoles

xbox_dude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6402 xbox_dude123
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
WELL where to start ive had my xbox 360 since release not many issues but as soon as my warrity runs out the full shabang the 3 red lights happend sent it off got fixed set me bak a few bob then get it back andit works alright but now a couple weeks after having it the disc drive has****** up and wount letme play games, cds, dvd'si realy fed up with microsoft sending us crap back they should sort it out full recall and there expense and fix it
BioyHunter777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6403 BioyHunter777
Member since 2005 • 781 Posts

I am desperated and I need help. I got a 120 GB hard drive. I tried it and when I try to play halo 3 the "disc unreadable" message appears, but if the Hard Drive is disconnected the game works fine. How the hell do I manage to fix it? Do I erase something or what?

Help would bevery appreciated

Avatar image for VeilTheOucast94
VeilTheOucast94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6404 VeilTheOucast94
i only get the red ring of death when my 360 is cold..never broken before
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6405 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
my 360 just got the RRoD but when I bought it from GameStop I didn't buy a warranty how much does it cost to repairs?
lbarlow90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6406 lbarlow90
Member since 2003 • 290 Posts

Just got three red lights for the second time

Lay my xbox on its side and now its working again :s

Is my xbox still broke?! will the red lights return?!

lbarlow90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6407 lbarlow90

Ok now when i turn my xbox on it crashes on the xbox 360 loading screen after making a crackling sound :S

No red lights tho

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6408 murat8

Ok now when i turn my xbox on it crashes on the xbox 360 loading screen after making a crackling sound :S

No red lights tho

lbarlow90
that happened to me and i kept turning the 360 on and off and after a wile i got the 3 lights
lbarlow90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6409 lbarlow90
im on fifa 08 now and its workin fine
Nithl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6410 Nithl
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I was wondering. i got my Xbox for Christmas and im confused. to get the extended warranty for the red ring of death do i have to call in and pay.... or does it come free with the system. i have two friends who say it comes with but i still want to know. and if its to late to get the warranty extended....... how much does it cost for repairs.......
Tainshy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6411 Tainshy
Member since 2004 • 169 Posts
yea the 3 year warranty comes with the system but it only covers the 3 red lights, and nothing else, everything else has a 1 year warranty but after that you will have to pay for any other repairs
Major_9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6412 Major_9000
Member since 2004 • 260 Posts

Funny Xbox 360 story from today...

So my 2nd xbox 360 got the RROD after I got it back from microsoft and played for only 30 minutes!...but that's not the funny part...

...So I missedthe delivery of my repair box from Purolator and had to go to the depot today to pick it up. When I got there I gave the girl my pickup slip. She looked at it paused and asked "What are you here to pickup?" I said "An empty box"..She said "an empty box for your xbox 360?" I said yes, she laughed opened the door behind her and began to look through about 100 exactly similar white boxes. When she came back I asked her if those were all for xbox, she said "yes the ones that didn't get delivered!" I asked her if she's they get a lot, she laughed said "they are our best customer." So it's nice to know thateverytime my xbox breaks down I'm contributing to jobs in the courier industry.

Shatin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6413 Shatin
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts
Ca anyone help me with how to send it in? I have the box but I remember the lady telling me to write that long number down on the console and on the box What did she mean, are there specific places to put it or just write it anywhere? Did anyone else get that from the customer service lady?
Alomo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6414 Alomo6
Member since 2006 • 44 Posts

Ca anyone help me with how to send it in? I have the box but I remember the lady telling me to write that long number down on the console and on the box What did she mean, are there specific places to put it or just write it anywhere? Did anyone else get that from the customer service lady?Shatin

She's talking about the reference number. You should've gotten a paper with the box where you check what's wrong with the 360. Just write the reference number on the back of the paper and put it in the box facing up on top of the 360 so when they open your box it's right there for them to see. You don't have to write it on the box.

azazellee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6415 azazellee
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
im about to send my RRoD'd 360 out to be repaired. if they send me a new one, am I able to purchase an extended warranty for it if i hadnt gotten it for the original one?
therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6416 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts

how reliable is xbox.com?
because for 'repair status' xbox.com is telling me that my 360
has been shipped back to me....i'm in the UK.

i hope its true...i havent had my 360 since dec. 28th.
hasnt been so long, thankfully.

incubus_1_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6417 incubus_1_7
Member since 2003 • 322 Posts
So when i get it back will it work for a long time after that? Will they really replace parts? Does any with the new parts give the rrod? Why are people sending in there 2nd and 3rd and 4th 360 if there getting newer cooler parts? Will it have a new 3 year warranty when i get it back?
nemerson00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6418 nemerson00
Member since 2007 • 35 Posts
HAS ANYONE HAD THE UNREADLABLE DISC ERROR
BLUMPKYNATOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6419 BLUMPKYNATOR

blumpkynator, how old was your original 360(jw if they are able to tell that its not the one you just purchased)? do they check out your xbox at all or just give u the new one and take ur crappy one?AMac4108

They didn't even check. They would have noticed if they knew what they were looking at because the broken one didn't have HDMI. I got everything new. Newcords, new mic, new controller. It was awesome. I highly recommend it.

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6420 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts

[QUOTE="Shatin"]Ca anyone help me with how to send it in? I have the box but I remember the lady telling me to write that long number down on the console and on the box What did she mean, are there specific places to put it or just write it anywhere? Did anyone else get that from the customer service lady?Alomo6

She's talking about the reference number. You should've gotten a paper with the box where you check what's wrong with the 360. Just write the reference number on the back of the paper and put it in the box facing up on top of the 360 so when they open your box it's right there for them to see. You don't have to write it on the box.

Oh crap, i didn't do this! :(

Will they still fix it?

_EvidencE_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6421 _EvidencE_
Member since 2006 • 1112 Posts
I just got the RRoD for a 2nd time, 5 days after my 360 came in. this sucks, i've had it 5 days and already...
AMac4108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6422 AMac4108
ya blumpkynator im gonna try sending it in to get a repair and if it dies on me again that's what ill do
gonk24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6423 gonk24
I have a 360 with mfg date of 3-25-06. Couple days ago it started freezing with and without the hard drive attached while running in dashboard. Sometimes it goes to dashboard fine but then freezes after browsing through the blades for a few minutes. Other times it freezes when booting up and doesn't get all the way in. I'd say 1 in 3 boots doesn't work. I got the RROD 3 times that day but not since. The freezing has not stopped. Any demos I d/l won't work and I also get the disc not readable error sometimes. I called MS and I got right through (shocked) and had a box on the way in a 5 min or less conversation. Being that it's going in for the RROD, what if it doesn't do it while MS has it? Like I said it hasn't RROD to me for a few days now but locks up consistently no matter what I'm doing with it. I just wonder if it powers up there and seems ok (doesn't lock up right off), if it's coming right back to me unfixed. I left it on all last night and today and it was still going when I got home from work. Not sure what to do with it.
Wtfcantgetname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6424 Wtfcantgetname
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts

I got really pissed off the first time my xbox 360 stopped working so i sent it in.. well i get it back and the begining of decemver ok cool I can play it agian.. well right after christmas i got some good games I got hooked on assassins creed and almost finished it in a day i played it way to much then i play call of duty 4 beat like 2 missions and its like 5 in the morning some i went to bed i tryed out some more games like mass effect didnt get to try out tony hawks proven grounds so im at my dads house I get back home and it stops working 0_o I got so pissed off because it was the smae problem as last time so now i have to send it in again -.- how gay I just want to play some of my games:evil: and everyone in school and all my friends are saying how great call of duty 4 is i gotta wait like a month now again..

Wtfcantgetname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6425 Wtfcantgetname
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts
The same thing happend to me i just got my xbox 360 around x-mas got some awsome games got attached to them and i got the RRoD for the second time
Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e408b026e3
deactivated-5e0e408b026e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6426 deactivated-5e0e408b026e3
Member since 2006 • 7099 Posts
I was wondering how exactly the toslink cable works. I plug it into my 360 and then with the other end would I plug it into my DVD player that has my surround sound connected to or what? I was just wondering this because I would like to know how it works before I invest my money in buying a cable. Any help would be very appreciated.
Magius113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6427 Magius113
Just a few days ago my 360 stopped read discs all together :(..... I figured it was the problem where the magnet got loose because the hitachi drives are known for it... I took apart my xbox and it wasnt the problem.... It look like when the game tried to start that the motor on the hardrive or w/e u call it wasnt powerful enough to spin the disk, it would start and the disc would off and on spin reaallllly slow. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix a problem like this or do i need to pay microsoft to put a new one in?
markandmary19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6428 markandmary19
What is the red ring of death?
markandmary19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6429 markandmary19
Can a intercooler help it from getting the Red Ring Of Death.
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6430 murat8
What is the red ring of death?markandmary19
 it looks like that 3 red lights light up and that means the 360 is dead
ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#6431 ZimpanX
Member since 2005 • 12636 Posts

my launch unit RROD'd yesterday, after a little more than 2 years :(

Glad I'm getting a new one with the warranty but it still sucks

lbarlow90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6432 lbarlow90

Hey

i left a message a few days ago about my xbox 360.

Problem is, my console occassionaly crashes, then when i try to witch it on, it either doesnt respond or i get a flashing red light in the bottom right quadrant of the ring of light.

I checked it up on xbox.com and it says its a problem with the ventalation of the console and reccomends i move the console to a more open space.

So i did this but my console still isnt responding and the bottom right quadrant on the ring of light is still flashing red.

Can anybody help me out? Thanks

PR0Ph3cY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6433 PR0Ph3cY
Member since 2005 • 239 Posts

I need to know immediately how to fix my problem with my 360. The problem is that it suddenly started not to play any of my games, movies,CDsand whenever I insert a perfectly fine disc, it says unplayable disc. Other than that, my 360 works fine and I've always kept in great condition.

Any ideas on what could be the problem and/or how to fix it would be GREATLY appreciated.

D-C-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6434 D-C-
Member since 2003 • 4080 Posts

Ihave 2 questions:

1: Since I got the RRoD, will the replacement xbox have a new warranty, or is the 3 year RRoD warranty still ticking away?

2: How long does it generally take to receive the box that the defective xbox is sent back in?

optimis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6435 optimis
Member since 2004 • 151 Posts

i'm having a problem with my 360 just when i play assassins creed i play for maybe 2 to 3 minutes then i get 2 red lights and can't do anything .

its just this game and it's my 2nd one that just got to thats doing it too.

every other game works fine anybody have a clue to why this is happing any help would be great .

thanks p.m. me with any suggestions thanks again

deimos113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6436 deimos113
Member since 2007 • 516 Posts
im angry, my old xbox got sent in, the motherboard is screwed so i would have to pay 300 bucks for a new one. Or i could but a new xbox with the falcon for just over that price. Or i could get a wii for my bithday in a few months... ik am so SCREWED
deimos113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6437 deimos113
Member since 2007 • 516 Posts
im angry, my old xbox got sent in, the motherboard is screwed so i would have to pay 300 bucks for a new one. Or i could but a new xbox with the falcon for just over that price. Or i could get a wii for my bithday in a few months... ik am so SCREWED
D-C-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6438 D-C-

i'm having a problem with my 360 just when i play assassins creed i play for maybe 2 to 3 minutes then i get 2 red lights and can't do anything .

its just this game and it's my 2nd one that just got to thats doing it too.

every other game works fine anybody have a clue to why this is happing any help would be great .

thanks p.m. me with any suggestions thanks again

optimis
According to microsoft in reference to the 2 red lights-
CAUSE

This behavior occurs when the internal temperature of the console exceeds the acceptable limits. You may think of this as too hot, overheating, and so on."

So try cleaning the dust out somehow, like with compressed air or possibly its just starting to die on you.

Also, if your console is horizontal, try putting it vertically for better ventilation.

redlrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6439 redlrob
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

So here I am in the same boat with everybody else who bought an early Xbox 360. I have only got 1 red light so I went to the customer support and was releived (sarcastically!!!!!) to find I had to pay £65.00 to have it repaired. This is the 2nd Microsoft product I have bought and has thrown it's hand in and it aint good enough, I am an old gamer and have consoles all the way back to the Atari 2600 and further more they all still work. When Microsoft look for the next manufacturer for their products they want to look a bit harder else this old gamer will be sticking with Nintendo and Sony.

optimis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6440 optimis
Member since 2004 • 151 Posts
thank you
CrazySasuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6441 CrazySasuke
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts
HELP.....my 360 disc tay is no longer opening. I pressed the open button while it was loading by accident but now it does not open at all. I can only hear a small clicking sound to confirm that it is trying to open but failing. Help me please
rpeters1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6442 rpeters1428
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
My DVD Drive for my 360 does a clicking noise every so often. It has been doing it for a month or so and I just sent in for a repair a day ago and had to pay the $94 for the repair. I read some posts about the same problem and the people got it fixed with sending in their 360s for repair.
D-C-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6443 D-C-
HELP.....my 360 disc tay is no longer opening. I pressed the open button while it was loading by accident but now it does not open at all. I can only hear a small clicking sound to confirm that it is trying to open but failing. Help me pleaseCrazySasuke
Before I got the RRoD my drive would stick often. If it is the same issue as mine had, try poking the middle to bottom of the drive(if its vertical) right after the tray tries ejecting, it would pop open for me, but your issue is likely different, give it a shot.
ForgottenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6444 ForgottenDemon
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts
OMFG!!! It happened that I found a book about fixing the red lights by yourself it name was xbox 360 3redlight fix or sth like that just keep searching on the web!
Cloud216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6445 Cloud216
Member since 2006 • 559 Posts
Agh! My 360 won't turn on and the power cord is plugged in and connected to the 360 and the power is in standby but the 360 won't turn on! Help!!!!!! :(
BioyHunter777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6446 BioyHunter777
Member since 2005 • 781 Posts

Well, there is a good and a bad new:

The good is that the hard drive now functions correctly.

The bad is that my Halo 3 disk doesn´t reads the Arrival mission and I saw 2 weird lines on the disk taht I tried to clean but wont come off. Help

LeafieGreens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6447 LeafieGreens
Member since 2004 • 35 Posts

My launch system RROD'd on December 30th, when Live was going all haywire.

My friends were over to watch some football and between the noon and evening game we were going to rock out with a little rock band.

Then it RROD'd in front of everyone. I was a little embarrassed.

I called the XBox help line and set up the repair - they have you check a couple things to make sure that it is indeed the RROD. The box (coffin) arrived in about 10 days (I live in Chicago) on January 8th. I shipped it out on the 9th from a local UPS Store.

I finally got the refurbished 360 back (not the same serial number) from Texas yesterday - January 23rd. So I basically went a little over 3 weeks without gaming - which sucked because I just got Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Oblivion for christmas.

To those of you shipping your broken 360's back to Microsoft for repair - WRITE DOWN YOUR SERIAL NUMBER AND THE REPAIR REFERENCE NUMBER! Then you can call the 360 line whenever to get updates on the status of the repair and they will give you tracking #'s if it is in transit.

While it was a major inconvenience I was pleased with the service of microsoft. Hell, it was free and now I have a 360 with better heatsinks.

Back to gaming.....hopefully this replacement box will last. I'm keeping it well ventilated.

peace.

bonzoPL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6448 bonzoPL
http://jednostka.centralna.akwarium.patrz.pl/
LadyWolf1677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6450 LadyWolf1677
Member since 2007 • 147 Posts

Tonite I was played Test drive unlimited and I was playing for about 45 min. and we had a less then a sec. power outage my Xbox 360 came back on flashing 3 red lights and the green light in the middle was flashing to. What does this mean?

Please Send me AIM if you can AOL Screen Name Animeangel1277