Oblivion Not Looking As Good

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HD_Gamer_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 HD_Gamer_J
Member since 2006 • 283 Posts
I have spent a long time looking at Oblivion since E3 and thought it was gonna be awesome because the graphics would be amazing even with the fact that it's so huge. I mean the reviews said "Best looking game I've ever seen" in the OXM advertisement. But I recently downloaded the trailer which has actual gameplay footage in it and I have 720p and it didn't look all that special. Kinda like an original Xbox game. What gives?
Avatar image for underoathswsfoe
underoathswsfoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 underoathswsfoe
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

What gives?

Your eyes give.

Go get some freakin' glasses.

andrewmickey14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 andrewmickey14
Member since 2003 • 1072 Posts
No he's right. It doesnt look THAT good. GOW blows it away by far.
StupidHenchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 StupidHenchman
Member since 2006 • 912 Posts
Just wait...you will love it. Just like Full Auto....
Bastarding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Bastarding
Member since 2006 • 681 Posts
That footage I assume it was from the marketplace right?

Is about 11 months old...............
Avatar image for underoathswsfoe
underoathswsfoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 underoathswsfoe
Member since 2005 • 4196 Posts

Just wait...you will love it. Just like Full Auto....StupidHenchman
\

Full Auto?

Full Auto blows.

kindredmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 kindredmachine
Member since 2002 • 2625 Posts

You know, even the 720p video is compressed and looses some detail. It will probabaly be far sharper actually running in person than the video trailer. Take Kameo trailer for the perfect example.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed when the game actually comes out though.

kindredmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 kindredmachine
Member since 2002 • 2625 Posts
and that marketplace trailer has actually been on the web for months... I bet the finished game actually looks a lot better
Mr_Silly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Mr_Silly
Member since 2005 • 1406 Posts
WTF!!?!?!?!?!?! Elder Scrolls has never had good graphics and there still amazing. Elder Scrolls 4 graphics are crazy, THEY MAKE ME HORNY!
k04sm02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 k04sm02
Member since 2005 • 1164 Posts
find some of the new videos online, that is the old old old trailer of it that does look atrocious.
meson2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 meson2000
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts
It must have been a while since you have played an original xbox game if you think the trailer looks like it could be played on there.  While it might not blow people away as far as the latest and greatest PC games, Oblivion definetly looks great as far as console gaming goes.....
Avatar image for xboxisthebestsh
xboxisthebestsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xboxisthebestsh
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts
i think it looks great

Avatar image for Some_Republican
Some_Republican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Some_Republican
Member since 2006 • 1009 Posts
Just wait...you will love it. Just like Full Auto....StupidHenchman

lol

angry_samoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 angry_samoan
Member since 2004 • 1093 Posts
Whatever, that trailer has been around for a long time, maybe not on 360 marketplace in 720p...But yah, its only available on Marketplace, so ppl (like me especially) can replay that trailer over and over again till it comes out...And it does look good, its just that SO many people are picky now days, remember when everyone saw the FIRST screenshots? Everyone was all gagga over that, now we have our F#$%&@ high-standards, The trailer does not explain enough to show whats REALLY great about it....The game is gonna rock no matter what! Unless you wanna stick with CoD2 and PGR3 after how everyone was SO eager to get new games, then dont bother with Oblivion....heheh
genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 genfuyung
Member since 2005 • 2189 Posts
IGN has a brand new preivew of the game and they posted videos of them playing yesterday and the game just doenst look amazing like pople thought it would. Dont flame the guy. Go look at the IGN video and you will see. It looks good of course just not amazing liek people were expecting.
Avatar image for RunnerGunner480
RunnerGunner480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RunnerGunner480
Member since 2005 • 1657 Posts
Wait... you've been tracking it since E3? If that was true then you would know that the trailer was from E3 last year in May!
Oni_Ookami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Oni_Ookami
Member since 2005 • 2765 Posts
I think people are too hung up on graphics nowadays...some of the best games ive ever played have been games that by normal standards had sub par graphics. Gameplay is all that really matters in the end folks...the sooner people realize that  the better off we all will be.
surfgurujon311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 surfgurujon311
Member since 2003 • 485 Posts
Given the size of the game I think it looks freaking awesome!!!
luc11044

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 luc11044
Member since 2004 • 4606 Posts

As much as I think it will look good, Oblivion is going to be great due to the immersive non-linear gameplay, excellent storyline, huge world to explore and different things you will be able to do.

Jeez Louise some people are difficult...

angry_samoan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 angry_samoan
Member since 2004 • 1093 Posts
Too many of us have such HIGH standards for game graphics...Okay, so now this time around The Elder Scrolls is getting everything: Great graphics, physics, vioce cast,gameworld, music, and so on...But Noo-ooo, its just doesn't look impressive enough.....and as for the IGN reviewists...Bah, they test and preview/review games for a living...course they're gonna note EVERY tiny lil thing thats wrong...be it high and low textures and hitch in the framerate for a point of a half second
Berserker_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Berserker_2
Member since 2006 • 5948 Posts
The game looks the same as the original pics from long ago. Perhaps we're expecting too much.
tactical_nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tactical_nick
Member since 2004 • 197 Posts
We'll all find out eventually.. maybe everybody should get their hopes WAY down so that they can be surprised when they get it.
Avatar image for peachy_dagansta
peachy_dagansta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 peachy_dagansta
Member since 2005 • 2103 Posts

dude.... LOOK AT THOSE GRFX!!! THEY SUCK.... THEREFORE SO MUST THE GAME!

Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

I have spent a long time looking at Oblivion since E3 and thought it was gonna be awesome because the graphics would be amazing even with the fact that it's so huge. I mean the reviews said "Best looking game I've ever seen" in the OXM advertisement. But I recently downloaded the trailer which has actual gameplay footage in it and I have 720p and it didn't look all that special. Kinda like an original Xbox game. What gives? HD_Gamer_J

Are you judging this game only by it's graphics alone?  If so, then you simply do not understand what it is that makes the ES games so great.  It sure isn't the graphics.  And the trailer looked pretty good to me.

mattmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattmachine
Member since 2005 • 1565 Posts
[QUOTE="HD_Gamer_J"]I have spent a long time looking at Oblivion since E3 and thought it was gonna be awesome because the graphics would be amazing even with the fact that it's so huge. I mean the reviews said "Best looking game I've ever seen" in the OXM advertisement. But I recently downloaded the trailer which has actual gameplay footage in it and I have 720p and it didn't look all that special. Kinda like an original Xbox game. What gives?

Yeah really, put in your contacts!  The game's detail for 16 square miles of area is phenominal and the downloads always look like crap didn't you know that.  I played the COD2 demo and it looks a lot worse than the actual game so don't worry, it will be the blockbuster everyone hopes it will be.
LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LiquidZ08
Member since 2004 • 8820 Posts
The games graphics look great on Oblivion.  Also, I think most of the people knocking Full Auto are the ones that haven't even played the full game >_> ... the game really is good.
baznasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 baznasty
Member since 2005 • 256 Posts

You know, I understand that the 360 has the ability to add some really nice lighting to video games. I have a Samsung DLP with 720p and I used it to watch the Oblivion trailer and let me tell you, I was kind of bummed. I am a huge fan of the 360 and am still very stoked about Oblivion. I do not soley base my love for games on the graphics. Back to the lighting part, IT LOOKS LIKE THE TOWN IS SET ON THE FREAKING SUN!!!! It's way to much reflection and lighting effects. I bet you can stomp all the AI in the game because they have to be blind. Who could stare at all that reflected lighting and not be Stevie Wonderized. Anyway, I am still very excited about this game for the gameplay, but the graphics just plain dissapoint.

Trisetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Trisetta
Member since 2002 • 2751 Posts

peachy_dagansta

I hate to break it to you but those graphics DON'T suck.  It may be 2D, but it has a unique art style and amazing visuals.  The game can't compare graphics-wise to what's on the Xbox 360, but they don't suck.
Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#31 Zilor
Member since 2002 • 4355 Posts

I have spent a long time looking at Oblivion since E3 and thought it was gonna be awesome because the graphics would be amazing even with the fact that it's so huge. I mean the reviews said "Best looking game I've ever seen" in the OXM advertisement. But I recently downloaded the trailer which has actual gameplay footage in it and I have 720p and it didn't look all that special. Kinda like an original Xbox game. What gives? HD_Gamer_J

Play Morrowind, it is an Xbox game, it looks nothing like Oblivion. Oblivion is next gen, and that trailer is just other released trailers spliced otgether, so if you liked them before, youl ike it now, you're just being crazy.

They've said nothing has changed since they started releasing information, the only thing that is different is they don't have the uber shadows, which it never really did, it was something they turned on and it only worked in the new area, and in all reality it was probablly a bad idea to release a trailer with a possibility ratherthan something they deffinitely planned to release...

I rambled, point is, the game looks identical as it did before. It is one of the absolute best looking games to be released, 360 or otherwise. So I think stop being overly critical and don't mistake the fact that the graphics are not new anymore, we all know what they are, and they aren't wowing us because it's expected. That's not the same as looking like an Xbox game.

You're nuts, the game looks great.

bosniak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bosniak
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Hello,

I'm sure you guys are sick and tired of newbies but I just recently got my 360 and I was wondering if Oblivion is going to be worth buying.  I want an opinion from actual gamers rather than the testing crew from the site.

Thanks in advance

PS-  What other games are worth buying? 

I'm a FIFA fan so I only own FIFA 2006 right now and San Andreas for the old Xbox.  :?

Avatar image for exclusiveburner
exclusiveburner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 exclusiveburner
Member since 2004 • 711 Posts
bro look at the pictures, the new vids are old videos of an older build of the game, they said it them selves they havent made any new builds since november, they pushed it back in november to work on errors/bugs/glitches and now its smooth and no one has seen a new build, the previews and hands on are people playing on old builds and they said it themselves

this is one of the best looking games ever so if its not looking good to you u should sell your 360 because nothing could live up to your standards
Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zilor

No he's right. It doesnt look THAT good. GOW blows it away by far.andrewmickey14

Gears of War is a different game and it isn't out yet either, you better believe people will say the same stupid crap when it gets closer to release.

Also, don't forget that Gears of War is a somewhat linear FPS game not an open ended world with multiple towns, 200 dungeons, and save very very quick loads between outdoor and indoor locations, seemless.

Avatar image for peachy_dagansta
peachy_dagansta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 peachy_dagansta
Member since 2005 • 2103 Posts
[QUOTE="peachy_dagansta"]

Trisetta

I hate to break it to you but those graphics DON'T suck.  It may be 2D, but it has a unique art style and amazing visuals.  The game can't compare graphics-wise to what's on the Xbox 360, but they don't suck.

You're really missing the point of my post.... im stating that graphics dont equal gameplay
Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zilor

Hello,

I'm sure you guys are sick and tired of newbies but I just recently got my 360 and I was wondering if Oblivion is going to be worth buying.  I want an opinion from actual gamers rather than the testing crew from the site.

Thanks in advance

PS-  What other games are worth buying? 

I'm a FIFA fan so I only own FIFA 2006 right now and San Andreas for the old Xbox.  :?

bosniak

Yes, Oblivion is worth buying. The world is massive, it's GTA like in that you can do whatever you want whenever you want. There is stealing, sneaking, assassination, sword fighting, spell casting, summoning, not to mention a ton of skills I can't remember.

You can even custom enchant weapons and make your own spells from scratch however you like.

There are 5 guilds to join, each with it's own quests. Arena guild, mage guild, thieves guild, dark brotherhood and one I forget. The main quest is 25 hours long, but with 200 dungeons, 5 guilds, tons of random quests, great AI, and total freedom of play it's somewhat limitless.

Even if all you do is complete each dungeon, you'll probablly get over 100 hours of gameplay out of the game.

AYANE69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AYANE69
Member since 2005 • 2504 Posts

i just finished my part of the beta testing on this game

and trust me it looks really awesome

scott_micro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 scott_micro
Member since 2006 • 39 Posts
hell  yeh!8)
bosniak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bosniak
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Sounds cool.  I'll pick it up probbably.

Anyone know anything about Saints Row?  Worth the money?  Release date?

ethanraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ethanraiden
Member since 2004 • 1579 Posts
I thought you'd be an idiot when you put a capital at the beginning of every letter, and look, I was right
boyblob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 boyblob
Member since 2005 • 1692 Posts
I don't know which video you saw but the last time I saw one it looked insane. The game is going to rock. I can't wait.
Avatar image for slartybardfarst
slartybardfarst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 slartybardfarst
Member since 2004 • 3978 Posts

And that's why IM not buying it, thay had to take so many things out or lower that its left the game looking like an Xbox game, the textures are flat the whole thing seems washed out, Its still going to be a great game,just not the one I would have liked. If you noticed all the early footage then look at the latest footage you will understand (IM not talking about shading)

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
It is a good-looking game, but ppl should keep in mind that it's an RPG, and thus content is far more important than style and pace. However, recent reports on ign state that the game performs better on PC, which I find surprising.
TavLok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 TavLok
Member since 2002 • 1598 Posts

what's this? the graphic whores are on the attack again?

calm down, the marketplace trailer is of an early graphical build and was clearly compressed

driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
I downloaded a video off gamespot the other day of it with the person walking around in the woods and the production guy is talking and describing while controlling the character. I thought it was the best game I ever seen. I could see every single blade of grass, lines in the tree's, every single leaf, the deers fur...it was nuts
slartybardfarst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 slartybardfarst

It is a good-looking game, but ppl should keep in mind that it's an RPG, and thus content is far more important than style and pace. However, recent reports on ign state that the game performs better on PC, which I find surprising. nopalversion

The reports you mention actually state the 360 version is better than PC so I don't understand why you say this.

All in all the GFX shown early on had my mouth watering they looked even more defined than PDZ (yes PDZ actually looks better than Oblivion texture wise now)  Just look for yourselves at early promised GFX then look at the new footage and then tell me game play will still win you over on this game, then I could say to you its not all about game play its about GFX also.

zan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 zan10
Member since 2004 • 2964 Posts
despite the "ugly graphics" (=c'mon guys!!!), cant wait for this game!!!!!!!!!!!!
slartybardfarst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 slartybardfarst

what's this? the graphic whores are on the attack again?

calm down, the marketplace trailer is of an early graphical build and was clearly compressed

TavLok

Dont be so pathetic and small minded, I was simply stating what i see. without GFX I doubt you would have a 360 because as im sure your aware the 360 is a new breed of GFX power-house and this undoubtably made you buy the console and not just because you thought the game play may improve.  Dont be so offensive with your opinion next time please.

ethanraiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ethanraiden
Member since 2004 • 1579 Posts

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]It is a good-looking game, but ppl should keep in mind that it's an RPG, and thus content is far more important than style and pace. However, recent reports on ign state that the game performs better on PC, which I find surprising. slartybardfarst

The reports you mention actually state the 360 version is better than PC so I don't understand why you say this.

All in all the GFX shown early on had my mouth watering they looked even more defined than PDZ (yes PDZ actually looks better than Oblivion texture wise now)  Just look for yourselves at early promised GFX then look at the new footage and then tell me game play will still win you over on this game, then I could say to you its not all about game play its about GFX also.

You could say that, but it's only an opinion, now I'm going to say to you, it is all about the gameplay, and we're both right

slartybardfarst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 slartybardfarst
[QUOTE="slartybardfarst"]

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]It is a good-looking game, but ppl should keep in mind that it's an RPG, and thus content is far more important than style and pace. However, recent reports on ign state that the game performs better on PC, which I find surprising. ethanraiden

You could say that, but it's only an opinion, now I'm going to say to you, it is all about the gameplay, and we're both right

Hey its all good, you see my point I see yours were sweet.