Halo 3 is so much better than HL Orange Box

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 xfan-atic
Member since 2003 • 1191 Posts

Please don't flame me without reading the whole thing, plz...

Ok, so I started playing the HL 2 that comes in Orange Box like four days ago and beat it today. IDK, I have so many mixed reactions. For instance, the first 10 minutes of the game were AWSOME, I really like the feel of the tirant dictatorship upon humanity, but then it became SLOW as hell, to much of the same. So I got to "RED LETTER DAY" go my suit up and then left the Barney for some action, and I wasn't that satisfyied with that one either. Yes, when the combine aproach and start shooting at you, throwing fuel barrels to you, and that kinda stuff, it's awsome, but all of the sudden the action is stopped by physics oriented puzzles, which are fun, but I think there are just to much of the same for the whole level. I kept saying to myself "this game is not top 10 game ever for nothing, i must keep trying to love it". But nah, I got into a hour long boat sequece which utterly SUCKS. When I get down of the boat, not 30 minutes pass before I get into another horribly implemented go kart seuqece. So, I get to the antlion beach and another, massive,45 minute long beach puzzle starts. Up to this point HL 2 was a 8.5/10 for me, not a 9.5/10, until i got pass that level. Yes, I do believe that all the levels that go after that boring antlion beach puzzle are SUPERB. "Follow Freema", "Our Benefactors", all this levels are just masterpieces.

My point here is that Half Life 2 becomes the named masterpiece critics talk about from the middle of the game and beyond, unlike Halo, or CoD, or GoW, where the pacing in the WHOLE game is just perfect. Also, the shooting system is not about skill. I know aiming in the head is better than aiming to the legs, but even on Hard difficulty it seems as there is not reward for playing good or bad, in other words: it never seems to put a good challenge.

To finish, while the found story in HL 2 is great, I dont think of it to be better than Halo's story (talking about the books, not the game). Granted, HL's story is far better than GoW, CoD 4, or any tom clancy game, but I always felt that there was something missing, which I understood later: Gordan Freeman feels cheap, in a way that he doesn't feels like he has any character at all. Yes, I know he is a silent character, but even Link was able to put up a way better feel to himself than Gordon does.

Thanks for reading, and I'd like to remind you guys: I thought this game was awsome, but it doens't deserve to be Top 10 ever, maybe top 25 yes, but not top 10..

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
I agree with ya but COD4>both. HL2 and its eps are probally the most overated games I've EVER played (maybe even more so than gears). They are quality, theres no mistaking that, but to claim HL2 as the holy grail of FPSs is a massive joke.
armedanddeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 armedanddeadly
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

Ok, so I started playing the HL 2 that comes in Orange Box like four days ago and beat it today. IDK, I have so many mixed reactions. For instance, the first 10 minutes of the game were AWSOME, I really like the feel of the tirant dictatorship upon humanity, but then it became SLOW as hell, to much of the same. So I got to "RED LETTER DAY" go my suit up and then left the Barney for some action, and I wasn't that satisfyied with that one either. Yes, when the combine aproach and start shooting at you, throwing fuel barrels to you, and that kinda stuff, it's awsome, but all of the sudden the action is stopped by physics oriented puzzles, which are fun, but I think there are just to much of the same for the whole level. I kept saying to myself "this game is not top 10 game ever for nothing, i must keep trying to love it". But nah, I got into a hour long boat sequece which utterly SUCKS. When I get down of the boat, not 30 minutes pass before I get into another horribly implemented go kart seuqece. So, I get to the antlion beach and another, massive,45 minute long beach puzzle starts. Up to this point HL 2 was a 8.5/10 for me, not a 9.5/10, until i got pass that level. Yes, I do believe that all the levels that go after that boring antlion beach puzzle are SUPERB. "Follow Freema", "Our Benefactors", all this levels are just masterpieces.

My point here is that Half Life 2 becomes the named masterpiece critics talk about from the middle of the game and beyond, unlike Halo, or CoD, or GoW, where the pacing in the WHOLE game is just perfect. Also, the shooting system is not about skill. I know aiming in the head is better than aiming to the legs, but even on Hard difficulty it seems as there is not reward for playing good or bad, in other words: it never seems to put a good challenge.

To finish, while the found story in HL 2 is great, I dont think of it to be better than Halo's story (talking about the books, not the game). Granted, HL's story is far better than GoW, CoD 4, or any tom clancy game, but I always felt that there was something missing, which I understood later: Gordan Freeman feels cheap, in a way that he doesn't feels like he has any character at all. Yes, I know he is a silent character, but even Link was able to put up a way better feel to himself than Gordon does.

Thanks for reading, and I'd like to remind you guys: I thought this game was awsome, but it doens't deserve to be Top 10 ever, maybe top 25 yes, but not top 10..

xfan-atic

Just shut up.

Sykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sykoh
Member since 2007 • 1177 Posts

Halo 3 better then Orange Box?! Haha um...NO.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ninjaxams
[QUOTE="xfan-atic"]

armedanddeadly

Just shut up.

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion.
j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 j3v1zzle
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

I have mixed reactions on both. Half-Life 2 itself was an amazing achievement in FPS gaming in both the graphics engine and gameplay mechanics. It had a great story to it but for some reason it felt real dull. I can't really explain why.

Halo 3 also felt dull. I never really got indulged into the story but the multiplayer is fantastic and that pretty much is the only reason why I gave the game an 8.5.

xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xfan-atic
I haven't played CoD 4 yet... So I cand argue with that statement Xp
jet2892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 jet2892
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

Dude if you're saying that the Halo 3 campaign is better than this campaign you are on crack. The only part of the Halo 3 I enjoyed was the ending because there it kept me in suspense the whole time. In Halo 3 all you do is shoot stuff pointlessly to get into the next part. In Half Life 2 you actually have to think. In all the Half Life 2 campaign and the episodes is better than anything Halo has ever had in the single player department

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ninjaxams

Dude if you're saying that the Halo 3 campaign is better than this campaign you are on crack. The only part of the Halo 3 I enjoyed was the ending because there it kept me in suspense the whole time. In Halo 3 all you do is shoot stuff pointlessly to get into the next part. In Half Life 2 you actually have to think. In all the Half Life 2 campaign and the episodes is better than anything Halo has ever had in the single player department

jet2892
I'm sorry but I'd rather "shoot stuff" to get to the next part rather than dealing with some lame enviromental puzzels to get to the next part. When I play an FPS, I want to "shoot stuff".
xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xfan-atic

jet2892

I don't play games to think, I do SAT IIs and GRE to think. I play game for FUN, and what gave me more fun? Halo 3...

culda89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 culda89
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="xfan-atic"]

armedanddeadly

Just shut up.

haha this made me laugh (just shut up)

halo 3 is definately better. to tell you the truth ive thought about getting COD4 but i just dont feel like throwing out another 60 on a first person shooter when halo3 satisfies my fps cravings just fine. and mommy doesnt buy me video games anymore so uhh yeah. haha

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ninjaxams
I haven't played CoD 4 yet... So I cand argue with that statement Xpxfan-atic
Do yourself a favor and play it. Its like an orgasm in a little green case :P My own personal GOTY.
xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xfan-atic

Sykoh

Haha um...YES (it's my opnion anyways, if you have yours, and if that is yours, please back it up)

IAmDazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 IAmDazzle
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts

I love the Halo franchise more than you can imagine, but Half Life will always top it. Always. It has nothing to do with pacing, it has to do with variety. Just because the game is marketed as a First Person Shooter doesn't mean that all you are allowed to do is shoot. Plus, Half Life has always been much more immersive. I also find it sad that the faces in a game that came out 5 years ago look better than the faces in Halo 3.

I love Halo 3, but people need to quit saying it is the best or the worst because it is neither.

xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xfan-atic

[QUOTE="xfan-atic"]I haven't played CoD 4 yet... So I cand argue with that statement Xpninjaxams
Do yourself a favor and play it. Its like an orgasm in a little green case :P My own personal GOTY.

I will play it don't worry XD After I am done with Orange Box i'll buy it!

switcharoo91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 switcharoo91
Member since 2006 • 528 Posts

jet2892

Totally agrre, on that part, but still you guys know that half life 2 has a great multiplayer on pc, so, the people that said that half life 2 is one of the top ten best shooters were talking about the pc platform.

Sykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sykoh

I love the Halo franchise more than you can imagine, but Half Life will always top it. Always. It has nothing to do with pacing, it has to do with variety. Just because the game is marketed as a First Person Shooter doesn't mean that all you are allowed to do is shoot. Plus, Half Life has always been much more immersive. I also find it sad that the faces in a game that came out 5 years ago look better than the faces in Halo 3.

I love Halo 3, but people need to quit saying it is the best or the worst because it is neither.

IAmDazzle

truf^

IAmDazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IAmDazzle

[QUOTE="xfan-atic"]I haven't played CoD 4 yet... So I cand argue with that statement Xpninjaxams

Or a green case inside a metallic silver case to keep you from getting the 360 pregnant and having little COD2s. Thats what I did, I ain't trying to have no babies.

And I have to say it.... we're going deep, and we're going hard.

goallie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goallie
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
So because a game isn't 100% action orientated you dislike it? Wow.
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ninjaxams

IAmDazzle
lol, your right about the faces in halo3, they do look horrible. HL2 might have great pacing (outside from the overly lengthy vehicle segments) and might be more immersive, but as someone earlier in this thread said, its dull. The games (besides EP2) are flat out dull and put me to sleep everytime I'd play them.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
[QUOTE="jet2892"]

ninjaxams

I'm sorry but I'd rather "shoot stuff" to get to the next part rather than dealing with some lame enviromental puzzels to get to the next part. When I play an FPS, I want to "shoot stuff".

Well, it seems that Half-Life 2 (which I regard as one of the greatest games ever made) is obviously not for you, the same way Halo 3 is not for me.

xRmRxfreakBOMB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 xRmRxfreakBOMB
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts
Halo 3= WWWWWAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY better
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ninjaxams

[QUOTE="ninjaxams"][QUOTE="xfan-atic"]I haven't played CoD 4 yet... So I cand argue with that statement XpIAmDazzle

Or a green case inside a metallic silver case to keep you from getting the 360 pregnant and having COD2s. Thats what I did, I ain't trying to have no babies.

COD2 babies would be awesome :P They could beat up any kid on the playground.
IAmDazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IAmDazzle
[QUOTE="IAmDazzle"]

ninjaxams

lol, your right about the faces in halo3, they do look horrible. HL2 might have great pacing (outside from the overly lengthy vehicle segments) and might be more immersive, but as someone earlier in this thread said, its dull. The games (besides EP2) are flat out dull and put me to sleep everytime I'd play them.

I love some action packed games, but to say that Half Life 2 is a dream machine, I doubt it. I played that game every day for a week straight for like 4 hours a day because I didn't have work or school.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ninjaxams
[QUOTE="ninjaxams"][QUOTE="jet2892"]

Einhanderkiller

Well, it seems that Half-Life 2 (which I regard as one of the greatest games ever made) is obviously not for you, the same way Halo 3 is not for me.

True, and its not that I can't appreciate what it is, its just not (in my mind) what a true FPS should play like.
Avatar image for ProductNumber49
ProductNumber49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ProductNumber49
Member since 2006 • 3840 Posts
Orange Box is great but Halo 3 is a lot better.;)
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#28 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts
I like Halo 3 for the multiplayer and HL for the single player. Honestly I can't decide which is better because they're both awesome games.
wutevrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 wutevrman
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts
COD4>Viva Pinta Party Animals>Orange Box>Halo 2.5 JMO!
NineDaysWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NineDaysWonder
Member since 2007 • 357 Posts
Halo 3 was a joke... Halo 2 is even worse. I beat Halo in a day and when I finished I was like... Seriously? This is what they have been working on for so long? The story is told like a bipolar third grader would tell a story, and the action is so repetitive that it is insane. Get battle rifle, run shoot melee if they dont die by bullets.
xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xfan-atic
For people saying I didn't like the game because i don't like to think, or because it is not action oriented, you are wrong. I loved KOTOR, and it had lots of puzzles, same with Morrowind, with genma onimusha, with Resident Evil, but there is a point were too much of it gets in the way of funland...
xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xfan-atic

Halo 3 was a joke... Halo 2 is even worse. I beat Halo in a day and when I finished I was like... Seriously? This is what they have been working on for so long? The story is told like a bipolar third grader would tell a story, and the action is so repetitive that it is insane. Get battle rifle, run shoot melee if they dont die by bullets. NineDaysWonder

You come here and say one of the greatest franchises is a JOKE? I come here and say Halo is a bit better, and I get this? Don't be bias, please. The reason I finished HL 2 in 4 days is because it wasboring and did had me plugged in for hours like Halo, KOTOR, TES, Zelda,Vagrant Story, or any of the other masterpieces...

silverRIDER90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 silverRIDER90
Member since 2007 • 237 Posts

IMO halo combat evolve still has the best singleplayer.

GungraveZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 GungraveZero
Member since 2004 • 2791 Posts
I have both and am a fan of both but I personally think HL2:Orange Box wins by a mile. However, when it comes to each game seperately standing against Halo then Halo wins. But hey, you have your opinion and I have mine so I can't be angry.
jc_tkml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 jc_tkml
Member since 2005 • 1172 Posts
Ok you have the right for your opinion H3 sucks had I known I wouldn't have wasted my money for it. It was my fault for thinking that all my friends would have it well they do but all of them play COD4 now
Storm82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Storm82
Member since 2003 • 107 Posts

xfanatic: You're probably playing half life 2 for the first time, and back then it was revolutionary, now it's not so great. But to truly realize how great this game is, you must complete episode 1, and episode 2. The two episodes are way better than HL 2, especially half life 2 : ep2. When I replayed hl2, it was snorefest, and ep1 was better but not that much better, episode 2 makes everything worth it, and I'm definitely looking forward to episode 3.

Episode 2 is almost as emotional as when aeris died in ff7.

mrcong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mrcong
Member since 2007 • 3929 Posts

Halo games are cheap, linear shoot-mindlessly games.

HL games involve much more thought and patience.

Not for those with short attention spans.

Oh, and Halo's story is terrible, along with its facial animations.

But I respect your opinion, TC.

IMO, though, HL games>all other games when it comes to SP.

Oh, and Team Fortress 2>all other games when it comes to MP.

Wolf3235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Wolf3235
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts
[QUOTE="Sykoh"]

xfan-atic

Haha um...YES (it's my opnion anyways, if you have yours, and if that is yours, please back it up)

Maybe if you spelled opinion right people would let you have one.

be_very_afraid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 be_very_afraid
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts

I, personally, find Half Life a lot better than Halo (though I still like Halo). Mostly because HL is more about mood and atmosphere, and very much more cinematic. Whereas Halo is more about blowing stuff up and killing wave after wave of enemies. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy Halo, but I like HL much more. The one thing that Halo has over HL is co-op, which is always fun.

I don't really see these games as rivalling each other as much as I see them as the perfect compliment to each other. Half Life is more atmosphere, mood, more slow paced. Halo has a quicker pace, and is more about action and thrills.

sphinx-shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sphinx-shadow
Member since 2003 • 1587 Posts

So because a game isn't 100% action orientated you dislike it? Wow. goallie

WOW is right.

Halo3_RBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Halo3_RBS
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts

HAHHAH HL 2 doesnt take that long for every level......... if thats your first time playing HL 2 it well take you a heck of a long time to figure everything out..... but once you beat it.... you can do almost every level in 30 mins depends how you play.....

Halo 3 had a very short campain...... so i wasent to happy... but HL 2 and HL 2 E1 and HL 2 E2 have a very long campain for all the diffrent stuff you want in a level like Follow freeman is more human vs striders and follow freeman was my fav chapter... lol

and in HL 2 E1 if you wanted a city fight HL 2 E1 was the best for city fighting... Hl 2 E2 is more for in the forest type fighting if you like fighting in the forest half life 2 brings you a little of HL 2 E1 and HL 2 E2 and in Halo 3 the story was every were... when i first played halo 3 i was like now were are we?Oh we are ont he Ark! i thout we were on the Halo.... Halo was every were i got mixed up...

In HL 2 your not everywere but it kind a sucks you cant use that many Vichels.... i can admit the water boat level was the dummest chapter lol! but the chapten "we dont go to ravenholm" i love that chapter... if you like fighting zombies

see what i mean how HL 2 series kind a gives you a good selection of what you wanna do...

Halo3_RBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Halo3_RBS

and like WOW is right hahAHAH the game cant be the best in the world.... thats y they make mroe then one game DUH!!

think about it

Wolf3235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wolf3235
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts
How about we say both are equal in their on special way? Why do you guys think gamespot gave Halo 3 a 9.5 AND Orange Box a 9.5? They thought none of them outruled each other. Half-Life 2 has its own really good storyline. Halo 3 has it's own really good storyline. If you don't read the Halo books then your not getting the full effect of what the whole thing is really about. I have both and I think both are equally good. Orange Box would be the better deal though, because it has 5 games in one.... lol. Half-Life 2's physics puzzles are unique because they show you really just what their source engine can do. I believe in my conclusion is that Orange Box is superb, and Halo 3 is superb. Everything is unique.
Halo3_RBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Halo3_RBS
I like Halo 3 for the multiplayer and HL for the single player. Honestly I can't decide which is better because they're both awesome games.klusps
Same here there bost the ebst in my eyes!
msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#46 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts
I haven't played Orange Box, but I know that Halo 3 was a pretty fun game. From what I've heard though COD4 is the best FPS to come out in years, far better than H3 or OB. That's just what I've heard.
fatty5xl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fatty5xl
Member since 2003 • 217 Posts

i gotta disagree with this post ,imo. your wrong

mrcong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrcong
Member since 2007 • 3929 Posts

so you guys like half life because it requires you to think then how about using that good brain of yours to past your damn school classes moron.silverRIDER90

I have As in all of my honors classes. Next question?

Halo3_RBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Halo3_RBS
Halo 3 was a joke... Halo 2 is even worse. I beat Halo in a day and when I finished I was like... Seriously? This is what they have been working on for so long? The story is told like a bipolar third grader would tell a story, and the action is so repetitive that it is insane. Get battle rifle, run shoot melee if they dont die by bullets. NineDaysWonder
Ya true..... they worked on it for how long 5 years? lol and the story was like..... What a joke!!! the multiplayer in Halo 3 is better then team fortress 2 though Halo 2 was relessed to early.... it would have been a great game if they fixed the bugs in it
Sykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Sykoh

so you guys like half life because it requires you to think then how about using that good brain of yours to past your damn school classes moron.silverRIDER90

You're calling people morons yet you can't even capitalize, punctuate and spell correctly...

Seriously, are you for real?