Halo 3 is so much better than HL Orange Box

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wolf3235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Wolf3235
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts

[QUOTE="NineDaysWonder"]Halo 3 was a joke... Halo 2 is even worse. I beat Halo in a day and when I finished I was like... Seriously? This is what they have been working on for so long? The story is told like a bipolar third grader would tell a story, and the action is so repetitive that it is insane. Get battle rifle, run shoot melee if they dont die by bullets. Halo3_RBS
Ya true..... they worked on it for how long 5 years? lol and the story was like..... What a joke!!! the multiplayer in Halo 3 is better then team fortress 2 though Halo 2 was relessed to early.... it would have been a great game if they fixed the bugs in it

Halo 1 was realeased in 2001. Halo 2 was released in 2004. Halo 3 was released in 2007. Halo 4 was realeased in 2010-woops

Halo3_RBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Halo3_RBS
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts
so you guys like half life because it requires you to think then how about using that good brain of yours to past your damn school classes moron.silverRIDER90
......... when if half of use are like out of school moron.... and its diffrent school is hated cause your forced... thinking for a game is fun because your not forced to do it.... silver your post was a crappy post....
Halo3_RBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Halo3_RBS

Please don't flame me without reading the whole thing, plz...

Ok, so I started playing the HL 2 that comes in Orange Box like four days ago and beat it today. IDK, I have so many mixed reactions. For instance, the first 10 minutes of the game were AWSOME, I really like the feel of the tirant dictatorship upon humanity, but then it became SLOW as hell, to much of the same. So I got to "RED LETTER DAY" go my suit up and then left the Barney for some action, and I wasn't that satisfyied with that one either. Yes, when the combine aproach and start shooting at you, throwing fuel barrels to you, and that kinda stuff, it's awsome, but all of the sudden the action is stopped by physics oriented puzzles, which are fun, but I think there are just to much of the same for the whole level. I kept saying to myself "this game is not top 10 game ever for nothing, i must keep trying to love it". But nah, I got into a hour long boat sequece which utterly SUCKS. When I get down of the boat, not 30 minutes pass before I get into another horribly implemented go kart seuqece. So, I get to the antlion beach and another, massive,45 minute long beach puzzle starts. Up to this point HL 2 was a 8.5/10 for me, not a 9.5/10, until i got pass that level. Yes, I do believe that all the levels that go after that boring antlion beach puzzle are SUPERB. "Follow Freema", "Our Benefactors", all this levels are just masterpieces.

My point here is that Half Life 2 becomes the named masterpiece critics talk about from the middle of the game and beyond, unlike Halo, or CoD, or GoW, where the pacing in the WHOLE game is just perfect. Also, the shooting system is not about skill. I know aiming in the head is better than aiming to the legs, but even on Hard difficulty it seems as there is not reward for playing good or bad, in other words: it never seems to put a good challenge.

To finish, while the found story in HL 2 is great, I dont think of it to be better than Halo's story (talking about the books, not the game). Granted, HL's story is far better than GoW, CoD 4, or any tom clancy game, but I always felt that there was something missing, which I understood later: Gordan Freeman feels cheap, in a way that he doesn't feels like he has any character at all. Yes, I know he is a silent character, but even Link was able to put up a way better feel to himself than Gordon does.

Thanks for reading, and I'd like to remind you guys: I thought this game was awsome, but it doens't deserve to be Top 10 ever, maybe top 25 yes, but not top 10..

xfan-atic
....... there both good games ! lol
Yceman757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Yceman757
Member since 2004 • 980 Posts

Dude if you're saying that the Halo 3 campaign is better than this campaign you are on crack. The only part of the Halo 3 I enjoyed was the ending because there it kept me in suspense the whole time. In Halo 3 all you do is shoot stuff pointlessly to get into the next part. In Half Life 2 you actually have to think. In all the Half Life 2 campaign and the episodes is better than anything Halo has ever had in the single player department

jet2892
Well when you think about it, all you do in a FPS is shoot until you get to the next part. Think about it, Halo, Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Bioshock, FEAR, Perfect Dark, and Half Life. Shooting is what you do, and in some games they may break up the shooting with a cutscene or a puzzle. So to say that in Halo 3 all you do is shoot stuff until you get to the next part is true, but its true for every other FPS that is out there. All of the games I mentioned above are some of the best FPS around but what I feel separates Halo from the rest is the fact that the controls rivals that of a keyboard and a mouse and there was never that type of precision for console gamers, the story in imersive, and the multiplayer IMO set the standard for console games. In fact, other games take some of the ideas seen in Halo and put them in there games. For example, making a recharging shield, and removing health packs. I dont remember any game doing that before Halo 2, but you can bet your ass most shooters do it now. But to get to the point, if I had to pick between the Orange Box and Halo 3, well I would pick Halo 3. Halo 3 may be short, but every single bit of it is good, and it doesnt drag and keeps a good pace along the way. Plus the story is great. But in HL2 for example, I feel like there are somethings like the driving sequences, or strange puzzles that break up the gameplay too much in an effort to lengthen the game. But when there is action in HL2 I love it, I just hate the long WTF am I doing sequences that are in the game. But they are both great games in their own right, but if I had to pick one that I perfer then... Halo 3 > The Orange Box.
Olgeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55 Olgeir
Member since 2004 • 117 Posts

HL2 is much better in my opinion even though Halo is very good but it gets old quick. Hl2 i've played trough that S**T 7 times now on the pc and im consitering to get the orangbox 2

Yceman757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Yceman757
Member since 2004 • 980 Posts
[QUOTE="silverRIDER90"]so you guys like half life because it requires you to think then how about using that good brain of yours to past your damn school classes moron.Halo3_RBS
......... when if half of use are like out of school moron.... and its diffrent school is hated cause your forced... thinking for a game is fun because your not forced to do it.... silver your post was a crappy post....

School might be forced, but if you want to finish a game that has a puzzle in it, then its forced too. From what Ive seen in most games, if you dont solve a puzzle, you cant go forward and finish a game. Isnt a great comparison, but I see the point.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#57 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Halo 3 better then Orange Box?! Haha um...NO.

Sykoh

This must be a joke thread........

Bry3800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 Bry3800
Member since 2005 • 117 Posts
Halo 3's campaign kinda sucks... alot, and portal and tf2 are also in the orange box and those games are alot of fun I think OB is just a little bit better then H3 but not by much..
HATEtheSTUPID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 HATEtheSTUPID
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Ummm well i think NOT

Halo3 is the Best Game out for the 360 and Orange Box is problebly Second, I dont see why everyone is loving OrangeBox so much?

Sykoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Sykoh
Member since 2007 • 1177 Posts
[QUOTE="Sykoh"]

Halo 3 better then Orange Box?! Haha um...NO.

hillelslovak

This must be a joke thread........

Obviously.

Avatar image for g8torsbizktai20
g8torsbizktai20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 g8torsbizktai20
Member since 2006 • 1345 Posts

[QUOTE="ninjaxams"][QUOTE="xfan-atic"]I haven't played CoD 4 yet... So I cand argue with that statement XpIAmDazzle

Do yourself a favor and play it. Its like an orgasm in a little green case :P My own personal GOTY.

Or a green case inside a metallic silver case to keep you from getting the 360 pregnant and having little COD2s. Thats what I did, I ain't trying to have no babies.

And I have to say it.... we're going deep, and we're going hard.

Surley you can't be serious?

Wolf3235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Wolf3235
Lol you guys are like 3 year olds fighting over a toy.
Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts
It's simply your opinion. Personally, I think Half-Life 2 dances circles around Halo, but I do enjoy them both.
HATEtheSTUPID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 HATEtheSTUPID
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
CoD is overexaggerated, i dont understand whats so impressive about a short story and boring multiplayer, i'veonly played CoD at a friends house so i may be wrong, but from the couple of games i played it was boring
flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts

Ive played both. Its difficult, but Id say Halo 3. Half Life 2 is good but it shows its age graphically, Episode 2 was greatand TF2 was a joke for me, Portal is awesome and innovative.

Halo 3 campaign? I liked it. I dunno why people are bashing it so much. Kindarepeats itself but its so fun that I dont really care anyway (Chapter 8 was dreadful).Havent played H1 or 2 so I cant say much about repetitivity. I am yet to play MP (Lordy knows why) but I intend on doing so soon.

Both games are great, Halo 3 edges it tho' imo.

RPT_KIKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 RPT_KIKO
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts
cant choose i love them both
Wolf3235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Wolf3235

cant choose i love them bothRPT_KIKO

Agreed.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#69 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Stopped reading after i saw "I like Halos story better then Half Life".

I can see if someoen likes the controls better or the online better in halo, but the story is where halo sucks imo.

chewy130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 chewy130
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts
ill agreee on the boat part. but its still fun, have u tried the episodes yet? and anyways, TF2 is way better than halo3 online
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
I like both. But as far as single player experience and story goes, HL rapes Halo in every aspect...
Tking1293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#72 Tking1293
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts
I thought Half-Life 2 was alright, it was realy good but i liked Halo 3 just a bit better. However, my friend and i are buying Orange Box because all of the games on it are good and its all for 60 dollars.
xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#73 xfan-atic
Member since 2003 • 1191 Posts

I can see if someoen likes the controls better or the online better in halo, but the story is where halo sucks imo.

kozzy1234

Wow, have you even read Halo's book? You don't know what you are missing if you haven't... I have post graduate friends that don't even play Halo, just read the books and love them for what they are. I am going to stop posting in here, i can't believe I state my opnioni and I get answers like "this must be a joke thread". I am not mad, just dissapoint, I thought a community this size was able to give me good opinions and a good debate could start (like some of you), but i guess no, I have totally lost hope for Gamespot community...

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

xfan-atic

Wow, have you even read Halo's book? You don't know what you are missing if you haven't... I have post graduate friends that don't even play Halo, just read the books and love them for what they are. I am going to stop posting in here, i can't believe I state my opnioni and I get answers like "this must be a joke thread". I am not mad, just dissapoint, I thought a community this size was able to give me good opinions and a good debate could start (like some of you), but i guess no, I have totally lost hope for Gamespot community...

aye, the books were awesome, love them to death. the kid above obviously has zero clue what hes talking about as HL barely has a story at all. halo is the very defenition of epic. and yeah, GSs community is pretty poor. I can't really say I blame you at all. thanks for creating a thread that wasn't narrow minded trash. :)
xfan-atic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#75 xfan-atic
Member since 2003 • 1191 Posts
[QUOTE="xfan-atic"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

ninjaxams

aye, the books were awesome, love them to death. the kid above obviously has zero clue what hes talking about as HL barely has a story at all. halo is the very defenition of epic. and yeah, GSs community is pretty poor. I can't really say I blame you at all. thanks for creating a thread that wasn't narrow minded trash. :)

You are welcome XD! I'll be tracking you!

Halo3_RBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Halo3_RBS
[QUOTE="xfan-atic"][QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

ninjaxams

theres no point in saying wich is better..... there both the same for some peeps and halo 3 is better for some peeps and The orange box is better for some peeps.... y dont we just end this thread? like were not going to get any were...oh ya i think halo 3 and The orange box are both great!
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#77 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
If it weren't for low expectations to begin with, H3 would be my Flop O' The Year pick. Orange box is much much much much much much much better imo.
woopa93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 woopa93
Member since 2004 • 64 Posts
Honestly, if Halo did not have its multiplayer it would suck and that is the truth, from the thread's main idea, Orange Box and Halo 3 are two way different games with different aspects to its gameplay, Halo 3 is way overrated, and as well as the whole Halo franchise. Orange Box doesn't get enough ratings and just put in the back of the line of all of the A-List games like Halo and Gears of War.
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#79 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I disagree. However, I disagree respectfully because you backed it up with intelligent / coherent candor.

I will say that Halo 3 seems to be getting a lot of hate lately, and I think it's undeserved. It's a phenomenal game, but I don't think it can touch Half Life 2, let alone Half Life 2 PLUS the two expansions PLUS Portal PLUS TF2. I think Halo 3 MP is more satisfying than TF2, though... but a few more downloadable maps for TF2 may make me less hasty in saying so.

Avatar image for g8torsbizktai20
g8torsbizktai20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 g8torsbizktai20
Member since 2006 • 1345 Posts

Ah I love good debates so I guess ill join in.

I have played both, read a few halo books and what not. Halo 3 IS better than Half-Life 2. Unfortunatly Half-Life 2 was made three years ago and for older machines with less graphic capabilities. As a whole though the Orange Box destroys Halo 3 and everything it has to offer. The Half-Life story (2, ep. 1 + 2) offer a much better story than Halo 3. Combined those games should last you in the range of 20-25 hours while H3 somewhere along 8-11. Half-Life also has much more variety than Halo 3. H3 is basically get to said checkpoint, kill guys, move on. Now there is nothing wrong with this. While Halo 3 wasnt very challenging on the brain, it was very fun to play. There is something very satisfying about punching grunts in the face while they flail their arms in terror.

I'm probably in the minority on this one but I would much rather play TF2 over H3 multiplayer anyday. H3 multiplayer bores me because its the same thing every time. Not to mention all achievements must be earned in lone wolf, which sucks. You could play the same gametype on the same map in TF2 (and you do!) except every time it can be 100% different. You can go in as a sniper with all his pros and cons or maybe you want to build turrets or maybe you just want to destroy people with rocket launchers.

I have not even begun to mention Portal yet either. Very short but very fun and amusing.

To wrap it up Halo 3 single player beats Half-Life 2 single player. The Orange Box beats Halo 3 by quite a long shot in my opinion. But both games are well worth the $60 and the ability to finish the fight felt good (although it was a crap ending IMO). Hopefully we can get some good discussion outta this and not mindless fanboy blabber.

krunkfu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 krunkfu2
Member since 2007 • 4218 Posts
TF2 alone owns halo 3
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#82 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I liked Half life 2.

The driving sequences sucked. The controls for the every vehicle suuuuuuuucked.

The rest fo the game was pretty great, just the driving killed it.

Lostfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Lostfile
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts

I think Half-Life 2 is great. Had it for the computer but never was able to upgrade my computer enough to get the full graphics out of it (stupid only PCI supported mother board.) I found that Half-Life 2 had way much more replay value. One because you could just fool around with the physics and two because mods gave it amazing replay value. (GMod anyone?)

Now that it has come to the 360 I have not only been able to get practically full graphics out of it but also with the great achievements and the additions of HL2:e1 and HL2:e2 it feels so much more appealing and fun than Halo.

And yes, I have Halo 1, 2, and 3. I finished the Halo 3 campaign in roughly 7 hours. The HL2 campaign has taken me much longer. The perfectly placed fight scenes of HL2 seem well more placed then Halo 3's. I also find that the Airboat and Buggy scenes give it so much more depth and character. It definatly gives you a sense that the enviroment is huge. (thus needing a vehicle to get around)

But those are your opinions and these are mine. If you really don't like HL2 then all we really can do is explain or differences.

cjswartz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 cjswartz
Member since 2006 • 150 Posts

I agree with ya but COD4>both. HL2 and its eps are probally the most overated games I've EVER played (maybe even more so than gears). They are quality, theres no mistaking that, but to claim HL2 as the holy grail of FPSs is a massive joke.ninjaxams

I agree. I found myself extremely bored and frustrated playing HL2. Got sick to death of those little obstacles and the shooting was just meh. Halo absolutely destroys half life. I have 100 times more fun playing the Halo games (which I don't even think are that great) than playing HL2. Portal was the only game in the "box" that was any good. Seriously, I just finished HL2 for the achievements. Never playing that trash ever again.

bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
half life 2 came out like 3 years ago. it makes sense that halo is a better quality game. half life is great still though, great for its time, and its a game that is a must play. plus the orange box is simply a deal what with eps 1+2, portal, and tf2.
blackhawk101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 blackhawk101
Member since 2005 • 75 Posts
Personally, I far and away prefer Halo 3 to the Orange Box. I had never played HL2 (or HL1 for that matter) at all before the Orange Box and I wasa little disapointed. Maybe the story itself in the Halo series isn't all that amazing, but the presentation of the story is what I've always thought was great. Come on, even to the most jaded and cynical of you, don't you get at least a little excited when the music starts swelling up during the big moments in the Halo games?? There just weren't any parts during HL2 that really got my adrenaline going like Halo can. I guess if you're more into the puzzle type stuff though. To each his own I guess.