Gamertag Stolen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_electro_man
the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_electro_man
Member since 2004 • 1772 Posts

Someone stole my Gamertag and changed all the information. I called Microsoft and proved that I was indeed the rightful owner. Now they are having it reviewed and will give me a call in an undetermined amount of time. Does anyone know if I will ever get full use of my Gamertag? What more should I do while I'm waiting?

The gamertag was originally The Electro Man, and it was changed to KuSh GeTz GS

I play online matches alot (Halo 3 & COD 4) and have a high gamerscore. My guess is that I outplayed someone and they got annoyed or jealous. They only could have stolen my account by calling Microsoft and tricking them into granting them access to my account. I called about the status of my claim today and spoke to someone about sensitive account information without verifying anything. Wow!

Some of you may be wondering "What's the big deal? Gamerscore doesn't mean anthing." Playing video games is something my son and I enjoy doing together. Getting the achievements shows him what we can accomplish when we work together. We were trying to reach 100,000, and we were only a few months away. Now we lost our gamertag, friends list, achievement points, downloads, and game saves since they are all linked to the gamertag. Hopefully something can be done to reverse the situation.

Before anyone suggest it, my son did not give out any account information because he doesn't know the Windows Live ID or password.

Avatar image for uconnhuskies050
uconnhuskies050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 uconnhuskies050
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts
That's kind of funny...How does one steal a gamertag?
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I don't think they'll do anything because they'll say you just gave your information away. I've heard stories that they said they'd do something but in reality they weren't going to. They say they wont do anything if you give your information out.
the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the_electro_man

That's kind of funny...How does one steal a gamertag?uconnhuskies050

It's not funny when you put 2 years into something and it gets stolen, but thanks for trying to help. I have no idea how it could have happened, or I would have prevented it. I have never give my information to anyone for any reason.

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_electro_man

I was on a 45 minute call with a supervisor that took alot of information from me. It seems that they are doing something about it. I just don't know what the end result will be.

I don't see why they couldn't reset the information so I can regain access to my Gamertag.

Avatar image for uconnhuskies050
uconnhuskies050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uconnhuskies050
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts

[QUOTE="uconnhuskies050"]That's kind of funny...How does one steal a gamertag?the_electro_man

It's not funny when you put 2 years into something and it gets stolen, but thanks for trying to help. I have no idea how it could have happened, or I would have prevented it. I have never give my information to anyone for any reason.

Ha I know I would be pissed if that happened to me. It's just a strange situation.

thecobraholder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thecobraholder
Member since 2007 • 602 Posts
[QUOTE="the_electro_man"]

[QUOTE="uconnhuskies050"]That's kind of funny...How does one steal a gamertag?uconnhuskies050

Ha I know I would be pissed if that happened to me. It's just a strange situation.

yayy!! now i feel better about bein suspended for two days for no reason. stories like this really ease the day. :)

starfox2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 starfox2468
Member since 2006 • 2782 Posts
that sucks....if that happend to me,i would personally hunt down the stealer,and ki...kick his butt.
bunyip94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 bunyip94
Member since 2007 • 199 Posts
make a new gamertag for the mean while and just wait microsft will do all it can
Bryman303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bryman303
Member since 2005 • 124 Posts
join the club...same thing happened to me and microsoft didnt do a thing about it. i kept calling and all they would say is that someone would call me back within 3 business days. three days went by and no phone call, id call and get the same thing so i just ended up making a new gamertag
the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_electro_man

that sucks....if that happend to me,i would personally hunt down the stealer,and ki...kick his butt.starfox2468

I do have his email address, but I don't think I can do anything with that.

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_electro_man

join the club...same thing happened to me and microsoft didnt do a thing about it. i kept calling and all they would say is that someone would call me back within 3 business days. three days went by and no phone call, id call and get the same thing so i just ended up making a new gamertagBryman303

I don't want to start off from nothing. I put alot of hours into my Gamertag earning Achievements. I think my gamesaves are useless also.

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_electro_man

join the club...same thing happened to me and microsoft didnt do a thing about it. i kept calling and all they would say is that someone would call me back within 3 business days. three days went by and no phone call, id call and get the same thing so i just ended up making a new gamertagBryman303

I don't want to start off from nothing. I put alot of hours into my Gamertag earning Achievements. I think my gamesaves are useless also.

Alidude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Alidude3
Member since 2005 • 407 Posts
Just keep calling explain your situation. My friend had an issue like this Microsoft took a couple of days to try and recover the account the outcome was that they refunded him the remaining months for Xbox live gold in pre paid cards and told to create a new gamertag and they also completely suspended his gamertag that got hacked so nobody could use it. Also if you have a credit card remove it from your gamertag now the hacker will abuse it. If they complely changed all your details including the liveid and password then theres no going back your tag is gone.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

[QUOTE="uconnhuskies050"]That's kind of funny...How does one steal a gamertag?the_electro_man

if you never gave your details away then it must be someone you know. coz no one on live can just guess ur email address linked to your gamertag then your password as well. maybe they cud crack ur password with the question that unlocks the account like mother maiden name/place of birth. BUT THEY WUD HAVE TO KNOW UR EMAIL AS WELL AS YOUR GAMERCARD so if u never gave it out its someone u know
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts
What was your gamertag so we can look it up?
redmagic123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 redmagic123
Member since 2003 • 566 Posts
[QUOTE="the_electro_man"]

[QUOTE="uconnhuskies050"]That's kind of funny...How does one steal a gamertag?djrobst

if you never gave your details away then it must be someone you know. coz no one on live can just guess ur email address linked to your gamertag then your password as well. maybe they cud crack ur password with the question that unlocks the account like mother maiden name/place of birth. BUT THEY WUD HAVE TO KNOW UR EMAIL AS WELL AS YOUR GAMERCARD so if u never gave it out its someone u know

Actually your wrong its been happening a lot especially to people that play halo, its called phishing and people just call up microsoft help line and tell them they forgot their information on the account and actually get the password reset so that they can then log in to the gamertag and change all your info including the gamertag name itself so that you can never find it again. Apparantly the microsoft employees aren't the smartest and have done this countless times, most of the cases I have heard about this people steal the accounts for the recon armor in h3, really pathetic actually that someone would steal your account for something so petty but its even more pathetic that Microsoft is so easy to give in to someone calling up and saying they forgot their account info.

But then again its just as easy to say that person called in and said someone stole their tag even if its not theirs and honestly how would you know if they were telling the truth or not? Really its hard to say he is lying especially if they say they can't remember the password, thats why its a good idea for everyone to make sure they have a secret question connected to their account.

Again this does happen a lot and its unfortunate that in most cases the person that got the account stolen never gets it back.

-WHATTHEDUECE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 -WHATTHEDUECE-
Member since 2004 • 144 Posts
That sucks man, you have my condolences and i hope you get your account back eventually.
volume_three

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 volume_three
Member since 2005 • 2142 Posts

At least there's a chance you'll get it back.

Something odd occured with my original gamertag a while back in that it wouldn't allow me to connect to Xbox live. I called customer support and followed their instructions which was to delete and restore it. Deleting it was no issue but once I attempted to restore a message was displayed informing me that that the gamertag had been corrupted and was unable to be downloaded. So I called back customer 'support' and they looked into it. A few days later they called back and admitted that they had no idea how to rectify the situation other than issuing me a new gamertag... less 12,000 achievement points. Way to go Microsoft! I would have preferred the RROD.

Anyway, good luck, man.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts

Wow, those stories are scary :?

Be honest now. Did you have good passwords? Did you submit your email everywhere? If anyone can lose their GT no matter how well they protect it, that'd be horrible.

Avatar image for Co0kieMonsterxX
Co0kieMonsterxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Co0kieMonsterxX
Member since 2008 • 717 Posts
I have a friend who got the RRoD 2 months ago and has not gotten his xbox fixed because he was working alot over the summer. The other day I went online and saw that he was last online yesterday and when I talked to him later he told me that he still has not got his xbox fixed. I am assuming that someone managed to get into his account somehow and I would be interested to see how this works out for you because then I may be able to help him.
Lordcharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lordcharles
Member since 2003 • 147 Posts

I have a friend who got the RRoD 2 months ago and has not gotten his xbox fixed because he was working alot over the summer. The other day I went online and saw that he was last online yesterday and when I talked to him later he told me that he still has not got his xbox fixed. I am assuming that someone managed to get into his account somehow and I would be interested to see how this works out for you because then I may be able to help him.Co0kieMonsterxX

If your friend had signed on to xbox.com it would also tell you that he was last online yesterday. So it may not have been someone using it.

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_electro_man

What was your gamertag so we can look it up?vitriolboy

My Gamertag was The Electro Man

My tag was changed to KuSh GeTz GS

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_electro_man

Wow, those stories are scary :?

Be honest now. Did you have good passwords? Did you submit your email everywhere? If anyone can lose their GT no matter how well they protect it, that'd be horrible.

-eddy-

I never submitted my account info anywhere. I had a high Gamerscore that probably made me a target.

starfox2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 starfox2468
Member since 2006 • 2782 Posts
now that i think about it,someone managed to get your email adress and password,probably gave it out,and with that you can access anything related to microsoft with it,zune,xbox ect.
vitriolboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vitriolboy
Member since 2005 • 4356 Posts

[QUOTE="vitriolboy"]What was your gamertag so we can look it up?the_electro_man

Wow 78000 points, I'd be pissed

http://live.xbox.com/en-GB/profile/profile.aspx?GamerTag=KuSh+GeTz+GS

It even says "you got jacked" on the profile!

p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts
that sucks I feel sorry for you I hate people who steal accounts on anything
X-GrimReaper-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 X-GrimReaper-X
Member since 2008 • 119 Posts
man that really sucks, hope you get your gamertag back
Avatar image for Malice_OhGr_242
Malice_OhGr_242

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Malice_OhGr_242
Member since 2008 • 80 Posts
damn i feel bad for you. anyway my friend got his "stolen", ok the moron gave his password to someone, after calling Microsoft it took about a weak and they verified that it was taken by someone else. anyway alls they could or would do was lock the account so the other guy couldn't use it they also gave him a free 13month live code but he lost his achievements and what have you. sorry this isn't very comforting. :)
the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_electro_man

damn i feel bad for you. anyway my friend got his "stolen", ok the moron gave his password to someone, after calling Microsoft it took about a weak and they verified that it was taken by someone else. anyway alls they could or would do was lock the account so the other guy couldn't use it they also gave him a free 13month live code but he lost his achievements and what have you. sorry this isn't very comforting. :)Malice_OhGr_242

I don't understand why they couldn't reset the account information so that I can regain control. I did nothing wrong. My information was not given out by me. There lack of account security is at fault. I proved to Microsoft that it was my account without a doubt. I don't understand why the situation would possibly not be reversible. I'll keep this updated when I here back from them.

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts

A) did any1 in your house have access to it?

B) do you have a predictable password?

C) its unlikely anyone is sad enough to change your username for fun.

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_electro_man

hongkingkong

A) no

B) no

C) I think I was targeted because of my high score.

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_electro_man

hongkingkong

A) no

B) no

p00phead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 p00phead
Member since 2007 • 1203 Posts
[QUOTE="hongkingkong"]

the_electro_man

A) no

B) no

some people will do anything for gamerscore like steal accounts
KR6716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KR6716
Member since 2007 • 926 Posts
Wait since it changed your name what happened. did you try signing in your name cause as long as it is in your HDD you should be able to sign on live right? Like i want to know what happened from the beggining if it isnt to much to ask.
KR6716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KR6716
Member since 2007 • 926 Posts
And im guessing your name is corey. im saying this cause 1. his GT is kush get GS aka Kush gets gamerscore. so he wanted your gamerscore. 2.it says thanks corey luv kush. 3. it says u got jacked. This is very wierd and i hope you get your account back.
proview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 proview
Member since 2005 • 220 Posts

Someone stole my Gamertag and changed all the information. I called Microsoft and proved that I was indeed the rightful owner. Now they are having it reviewed and will give me a call in an undetermined amount of time. Does anyone know if I will ever get full use of my Gamertag? What more should I do while I'm waiting?

Can you regain your password from the email by answering the secret questions or they were changed too?

The gamertag was originally The Electro Man, and it was changed to KuSh GeTz GS

I play online matches alot (Halo 3 & COD 4) and have a high gamerscore. My guess is that I outplayed someone and they got annoyed or jealous. They only could have stolen my account by calling Microsoft and tricking them into granting them access to my account. I called about the status of my claim today and spoke to someone without verifying any information. Wow!

the_electro_man

Can you recover your password from the email by answering the secret questions or they were changed too?

the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_electro_man

And im guessing your name is corey. im saying this cause 1. his GT is kush get GS aka Kush gets gamerscore. so he wanted your gamerscore. 2.it says thanks corey luv kush. 3. it says u got jacked. This is very wierd and i hope you get your account back.KR6716

The first error message was that my profile was downloaded to another console. When I tried to recover my gamertag it said that my gamertag does not exist. I later learned that was because they changed the gamertag after hacking my account. I found out the new gamertag, because I received an email from MyGamerCard and it welcomed me to the site by the new gamertag name, KuSh GeTz GS. I guess he forgot to change the email address where I get my notifications.

My account information is on my harddrive, but it will not connect to XBOX live since it is no longer valid. Yes, my name is Corey.

-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts

[QUOTE="vitriolboy"]What was your gamertag so we can look it up?the_electro_man

That seems like a personal insult. Especially if in your profile it says it got jacked.

I couldn't imagine how someone could be so pathetic to steal someone elses GT to get GS.
To think of that pisses me off :evil:

Let's us know how things go.

kieran88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kieran88
Member since 2004 • 2273 Posts
So, wait, did he use YOUR credit card to buy the points to change the gamertag? 'Cause he could just keep buying xbl points. In which case, you'd have a serious theft on your hands and could take it to the proper authorities. (who would actualy get something done - good luck with xbox customer support).
Civfan333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Civfan333
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
holy.............poop, that really sucks man, hope it works out. but man, no joke, that's a pretty good gamerscore you got going there
the_electro_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 the_electro_man

So, wait, did he use YOUR credit card to buy the points to change the gamertag? 'Cause he could just keep buying xbl points. In which case, you'd have a serious theft on your hands and could take it to the proper authorities. (who would actualy get something done - good luck with xbox customer support).kieran88
So, wait, did he use YOUR credit card to buy the points to change the gamertag? 'Cause he could just keep buying xbl points. In which case, you'd have a serious theft on your hands and could take it to the proper authorities. (who would actualy get something done - good luck with xbox customer support).kieran88

He used my credit card to buy 1000 Microsoft points for $12.50. He used those points to pay for the gamertag change. My credit card company probably won't care and just let it go. Microsoft put a hold on the account so that no purchases can be made and refunded the $12.50 back to my credit card. It's not a lose of significant money or physical property, so I doubt any law enforcement agency cares. I'm going to take this as far as I can even if I have to go after Microsoft. Their lack of account security is at fault here.

brokenfetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 brokenfetus
Member since 2004 • 422 Posts
Could you recover the new gamertag onto your console, and then change the gamertag back?? And then possibly change all your info if there wasn't a hold on the account. It would kinda be like a gamertag tug-of-war, but if you kept changing your info there would be no way for this dude to steal it again.
VVarriorWithin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VVarriorWithin
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts
I just checked your gamertag on mygamercard, and whoever has it gamesaved crackdown... plus more games near the bottom, his motto says 'Thanks Corey Luv Kush'.. so im assuming the guy that done it knows you ?
360loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 360loser
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts

I just got xboxlive 1 month ago and on my second week of my free trial it said some who has the same gamertag is playing halo 3 so I called them up and it never happened again.

Its weird because I have the stupidest password that no one (i thought) would never guess.I have a higher gamerscore than al of my friends by 2000 gs ( and got my 360 one year later)

Avatar image for MapleSyrupPower
MapleSyrupPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MapleSyrupPower
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

How can a man fall so down after hearing your story man ? I maybe new in the world of the 360 but i know that achievements are not all that easy to unlocked.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#47 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
well that person will be bragging about his new high score but you all need to admit this is really funny lol!
Nidoking_66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Nidoking_66
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
wow that sucks...hope you get ur gamertag back
statquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 statquo
Member since 2004 • 666 Posts
damn sorry to hear that man. i'd be throwing a fit if my account got hacked and i only have 13k gamerscore. hope u get it back and that douche gets run over by a donkey