Do you trust gamespot xbox 360 reviews nowadays?

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sivasiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#1 sivasiva
Member since 2007 • 1101 Posts
I dont and their rating system is so bad. For exaple, too human and mercenaries 2 had very bad scores. IGN gave them good score, at least a rating above 7.5 but Gamespot gave it around 5.0 The mercenaries review mainly talked about the bugs and glitches and some POOR ai. Yet, they give the game a score of 5.Mercenaries2 deserve a score around 6.5 to 7.5,not 5. Same goes for the too human review. These reviews talk bout the bad aspects of the games and not the good aspects of the game.Is gamespot discouraging us from buying games?Already, some gamers have been anticipating this mercenaries 2 game but after reading the review, they said they won't buy the game at all.(If you have been following the xbox 360 forums, you will know wat i mean) This is insane. Now the main question is do you trust gamespot reviews?
sivasiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sivasiva
Opinions?
angel_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 angel_14
Member since 2005 • 217 Posts
Not after i read their mass effect (low score) and GTA IV (way too high) review. I just use mny gut instinct now when i buy games, and so far its been pretty accurate.
DerMeister90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 DerMeister90
Member since 2008 • 88 Posts
We all have our opinions, but Gamespot is trusted by many retailers and buyers. The Mercenaries 2 bugs were REALLY bad, I know I bought it. It was deserving of maybe an 8.0, because there is no excuse for bugs being in a game that has been in development for as long as Mercenaries was. Also, Too Human was not all that great of a game. Of course it was hyped, but it was nothing like I thought it would be. Me and my employees at Gamecrazy believed the combat system was awful, and the story didn't quite cut it. Also, what was up with the whole platform guy at the beginning? He was a boss? That was awful!
Scarface_tm431

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Scarface_tm431
Member since 2004 • 10063 Posts

We all have our opinions, but Gamespot is trusted by many retailers and buyers. The Mercenaries 2 bugs were REALLY bad, I know I bought it. It was deserving of maybe an 8.0, because there is no excuse for bugs being in a game that has been in development for as long as Mercenaries was. Also, Too Human was not all that great of a game. Of course it was hyped, but it was nothing like I thought it would be. Me and my employees at Gamecrazy believed the combat system was awful, and the story didn't quite cut it. Also, what was up with the whole platform guy at the beginning? He was a boss? That was awful!DerMeister90

GS is NOT trusted by retailers and buyers, especially after the fiasco with Kane and Lynch. Some of my employees don't even bother reading GS reviews because they dislike them so much.

Personally, I've never agreed with GS reviews so when i want a general idea of a game I go to IGN

DerekLStinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 DerekLStinson
Member since 2003 • 287 Posts
They've almost always had merceless reviews. That is why I love them.
MaddenGod08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MaddenGod08
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts

I use to, but after there Kane & Lynch review, hell no.

I read there review on it, an i didnt get it on release day.

I ended up getting it like 4months later to see what it was like, and i loved it. Graphics was nice, the story was nice, a little confusing, and the ending, WOW. U got to choose how you wanted it to end, an i loved it.

JAB991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 JAB991
Member since 2007 • 6077 Posts
I like how their reviews have become really harsh. It makes me feel like a well-received game now is really something I should look into. I think that after they got flack for giving out 2 10's in less than a month, they really stepped up. Their reviews aren't painfully lower than the MetaCritic or GameRanking averages, it's just that they didn't like Too Human or Mercenaries 2 as much as other publications, which is completely okay. According to the HotSpot podcast, the reviewer was cursing the TV due to Mercenaries 2's bugs; if he had given it a good score so GameSpot can fall in line with the other publication's earlier-published reviews, then I would have had a problem.
john-cena112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 john-cena112
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
I do. They really do give you alot of information on games. You can also be aware of good games in the market and bad games as well.
Bombed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Bombed420
Member since 2002 • 230 Posts

Nowadays??? was there actually a time when they knew what they were talking about?

tinkles87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tinkles87
Member since 2005 • 155 Posts
I think they have been rating harder. I mean i didn't really like Mass Effect but I think it deserved a 9. Mercs 2 and Kane & Lynch deserved higher scores.
Saurabh123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Saurabh123
Member since 2003 • 113 Posts

Well i used to place 70% of my trust in them about a year back. Somehow i still trust them, but the quality of their opinions have been downgrading a bit allright. They seem too swayed by a single aspect of the game. GTA - 10 for what??? Halo 3 - 9.5 for what??? Like another user here, i have still not bought Kane n Lynch! I played Alone in the Dark recently and tend to disagree slightly with their 6.5 rating on it!

Wish they wud revert back 2 gud old days where reviews seemed unbiased and more realistic rather than the emotionally charged opinions of a normal gamer!

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
well using just one publication for reviews is pointless, if u care about scores and want good reviews. read a few then u dont just get one persons view of the game, as the single review may be a pure fan of the series and overate or hate it and underate. most people just make they own minds up i think and the reviews are just side issues
john-cena112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 john-cena112
Member since 2008 • 58 Posts
Well...they are actually a bit hard with the ratings. I think COD4 deserved atleast a 9.5
cruxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 cruxe
Member since 2005 • 689 Posts
I never go based on one sites opinion i always look at 3 at leat . I actually look at the user score first on gamespot :P
Oblivion470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oblivion470
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts
I don't give a hoot about GameSpot reviews anymore. I think they are just pure wrong, 99% of the time. A while back, I only bought games if they had good scores from GameSpot, but now, it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't get any games if I had to follow this site all the time.
RedSox-34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RedSox-34
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts
GS has great reviews the only review that bugged me was gta4 all the rest deserve there score. I saw nothing great in Mercenaries 2
OWUaaronTSi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 OWUaaronTSi
Member since 2003 • 252 Posts
Not as much as i used to. Halo3 -- not a 10... single player didn't have those massive battles bungie promised... character models were bland... didn't have the feel of the other 2.... multiplayer maps sucked... barely any small indoor maps to start... then there's alone in the dark which i thought deserved much higher... at least 7.6 or 8.... yea, there were bugs... but it was a great game with new gameplay mechanics.
Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts

Have you ever come to think that other sites are being a bit nice with their reviews? Too Human was suppose to be an epic game but turned out to be a pile of crap. Sorry but being able to swing the analog in random directions with my eyes closed and come out unharmed is pitiful. The story I wont even share my thoughts about it. I havent played Mercs 2 but if any game has an overwhelming amount of bugs that make some parts seem impossible then that warrants harsh review. Mercs 2 has been in development for more than enough time that bugs should have been the least of the problems. Sure some of their reviews are ridiculous like Halo 3, GTAIV, MGS4 which are basically hype fed reviews. For the most part gamespot has been doing a decent job with the reviews.

Hell I was looking at the mercs 2 board and I saw plenty of people complaining about how some aspects of the games were so buggy that instead it was a fight against the glitching instead of the enemies to complete missions.

However, Gamespot needs to fix their lateness issues. There have been alot of games that havent been reviewed until like 4 days or even sometimes a week after the release day. We all know they get the games early too. I think there are some games that have went unreviewed. =O

Arclight_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Arclight_Blue
Member since 2008 • 2830 Posts

They've almost always had merceless reviews. That is why I love them. DerekLStinson

eww... youre disgusting....

I dunno... for me Gamespot just doesnt cut it anymore

IGN is probably the best out there(despite the fact that they can be pretty lenient on reviews)

peteysurf311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 peteysurf311
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I think the biggest problem is the 10 pt rating system. They should switch to five or letters. In my opinion a six or seven should be a pretty solid game. But everybody expects that a great game has to be eight or above. Maybe if they reduced their chances to screw a review, then it would come out a little more consistent and fair. I also understand that some EPIC games have not come out for a while. I think we all got spoiled on games like Gears, Oblivion, Vegas, Rock Band, insert any quality game; and we just haven't seen that for a bit. There have been some FUN games out though. I like Too Human, but I can see why others might not. We've got a crazy couple of months coming up, strap in guys. And if you want fun, CASTLE CRASHERS!!!!
RogueSoul81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RogueSoul81
Member since 2004 • 52 Posts
Generally, I go by 'metacritic', playable demos and the occasional opinion from a friend. Its difficult to trust a 'strangers' opinion on a game especially when you dont know or understand that persons particular preferences or bias.
Ignite2k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Ignite2k3
Member since 2004 • 452 Posts

[QUOTE="DerMeister90"]We all have our opinions, but Gamespot is trusted by many retailers and buyers. The Mercenaries 2 bugs were REALLY bad, I know I bought it. It was deserving of maybe an 8.0, because there is no excuse for bugs being in a game that has been in development for as long as Mercenaries was. Also, Too Human was not all that great of a game. Of course it was hyped, but it was nothing like I thought it would be. Me and my employees at Gamecrazy believed the combat system was awful, and the story didn't quite cut it. Also, what was up with the whole platform guy at the beginning? He was a boss? That was awful!Scarface_tm431

GS is NOT trusted by retailers and buyers, especially after the fiasco with Kane and Lynch. Some of my employees don't even bother reading GS reviews because they dislike them so much.

Personally, I've never agreed with GS reviews so when i want a general idea of a game I go to IGN

hey, careful there, i got moderated for posting a topic about that. search my post lol

dth_dlr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dth_dlr
Member since 2006 • 7517 Posts
i haven't trusted GS reviews for a while now, i prefer to make my own judgement on games
sivasiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sivasiva
cool.
jacob2125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jacob2125
Member since 2003 • 1003 Posts
No. If I realy want to know what a game is like I check up on it in the forums, videos etc.. I'd rather take the opinions of several gamers than some guy who is paid (either legitimately or illegitimately) for his opinion.
Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
I've found their reviews to be fairly inconsistent, though their reviews are subjective so not everyone may agree which is the same for other review sites. The best option is to look at a wide range of reviews and make your own mind up.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
I go with IGN and Gametrailers. I'm not a fan of the .5 system, I think gamespot try and be strict nitpickers, and most of the time they come of like yahtzee without the humor.
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
if spore is an 8.0 then George Bush is a genius.
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

Not after i read their mass effect (low score) and GTA IV (way too high) review. I just use mny gut instinct now when i buy games, and so far its been pretty accurate.angel_14

yup same here

Sodney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Sodney
Member since 2006 • 228 Posts
I only use them as guidelines. I check a lot of sites, including gamespot and then I decide if I'll be gettin it or not. Of course I check out gameplay videos and stuff as well.
RaGeNeSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RaGeNeSs
Member since 2005 • 287 Posts
why do people continuously ***** about gamespots reviews?? its really getting annoying, if you don't like them then just go to another site, simple as that.
hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts

why do people continuously ***** about gamespots reviews?? its really getting annoying, if you don't like them then just go to another site, simple as that.RaGeNeSs

Nobody comes here for the reviews, its all about the forums. GS reviewers are just aweful. Most people disagree with every review = bad thing.

2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts

i usually go buy the average user reviews which is sad this use to be my number one game website but nowadays i look at reviews from all other sites it just seems like the rating here is how much money did ea give us or dont give kayne and linch a bad review cuz you might get fired, etc.

yes the kane and linch incident really showed you how some of there reviews are based on other things then just a gamers opinion and the games stats.

how could gta 4 get a ten when it has a horrible auto aim system?

Strife88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Strife88
Member since 2005 • 6073 Posts
It's hard to say, I always end up checking the scores when on the site but they never feel right. It just seems the reviews are a little random and they pick at subjects that are almost irrelavant and a few that can easily be disproved. Too Human for example when I played the demo and got to the end of it, I enjoyed it. A 5.5 would've been something like I can't believe I played this and paid for it. It just doesn't make sense.

Mercenaries 2 a five, did I miss something there. The first one got great scores and this one completely takes that concept and expands on it greatly. Apparently it's not an improvement over the first one and their are mediocre games that everyone would rather play than this awesome lookin game. It seems like it's getting deducted for minor issues and no pros are given.

I'm not sure what it is with their reviews either they have their expectations way too high for the games or by scoring something harsh it's a publictity thing. A lot of people are taking notice of it and whether it's just for site hits are they're just brutally honest reviews it's hard to say. I agree that both games could've used a little more polish but for what they are, they look like great games and that's what it comes down to in the end.
proview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 proview
Member since 2005 • 220 Posts
Sometimes the reviews are misleading, just like the Alone In the Dark review GS gave 5.5 i think and IGN gave 3.5! I bought the game and it deserves a 7 at least. The best way to decide if you going to buy a game is to rent it or download the demo and don't just believe in reviews blindly.
RaGeNeSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RaGeNeSs

[QUOTE="RaGeNeSs"]why do people continuously ***** about gamespots reviews?? its really getting annoying, if you don't like them then just go to another site, simple as that.hongkingkong

Nobody comes here for the reviews, its all about the forums. GS reviewers are just aweful. Most people disagree with every review = bad thing.

i come here for reviews...and the forum every once in awhile

Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts
i find that they hype up so many games saying their going to be awesome and then turn round and say their not worth buyin eg mercenaries 2 and too human
oneofthefall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 oneofthefall
Member since 2008 • 494 Posts
Theres alot of gamers that know there stuff on this site but there are also alot of just fanboys that only by a game because they are a fan of the 1st release or whatever, and dont like people stating problems with a game that you could see if you were blind! I used to listen to every review by gamespot but i agree some of the games do deserve a higher rating! it would also be good that when doing reviews get someone who can shoot and likes to play shooters do a FPS/3rd person Review, and someone who can actually race do a Racing Game review, Ive seen to many poor demonstations of Racing games where half the time the reviewer cant keep to the track and cant stop crashing while talking about how good the game is? If a game is good and you like it practice then show us the outcome, and what is the point of reviewing a game you cant even play hand the controller to someone else who can..then talk about it?
FlashCharge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 FlashCharge
Member since 2007 • 2239 Posts
It is a wise idea to get more than one opinion on anything. Gamespot is only one source, but on the whole it is still a good source to check out. Look at the user opinions and how they vary, no one can give a definite answer. It is best to check out as much as you can, but really most gamers are just too eager to get their hands on a new game. Very few really take the time to check things out first. It's just a mad rush to Best Buy or Game Stop.
69ANT69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 69ANT69
Member since 2007 • 8472 Posts
I do still trust them, but not as much as I used to.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

I think they have been rating harder. I mean i didn't really like Mass Effect but I think it deserved a 9. Mercs 2 and Kane & Lynch deserved higher scores.tinkles87

I agree. Kane & Lynch should have been rated higher. I really enjoyed it and actually completed it a second time yesterday, but this time on the hard mode and had a blast.

WardCleaver02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WardCleaver02
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

Yes, I do. I think they give the most honest reviews of any site. For the most part, when they review a game, they do a good job of explaining the reasoning behind the score. I have disagreed with GS on a few occasions, but that would be only natural. They are definitely better than IGN, whose written reviews tend to not match the numerical score, and whose scores seem to be inflated.

Rampanterage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rampanterage
Member since 2003 • 2215 Posts
No, after giving two straight 10.0's(GTAIV and Metal Gear) after like ten years of given the last one to LOZ:OOT. It seemed to me that they were comercially forced to do it. By the way, I didn't like GTAIV, this game just didn't got me inlove with it. I really enjoyed though, GTA San Andreas.
RaGeNeSs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 RaGeNeSs

Yes, I do. I think they give the most honest reviews of any site. For the most part, when they review a game, they do a good job of explaining the reasoning behind the score. I have disagreed with GS on a few occasions, but that would be only natural. They are definitely better than IGN, whose written reviews tend to not match the numerical score, and whose scores seem to be inflated.

WardCleaver02

Exactly.

Avatar image for creeping-deth87
creeping-deth87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#47 creeping-deth87
Member since 2008 • 787 Posts

In my opinion, most of Gamespot's credibility went down with their old rating system. Their older reviews were really great and really informative, and most importantly CONSISTENT. When you read the reviews, the number they gave them would make sense. This simply isn't the case anymore. A lot of people praise the new rating system and how it allows them to be more 'faithful' and 'fair' in reviewing the games but I think it has done just the opposite. It's so easy to just slap any random number on a game and write a review that doesn't reflect the score given. I still read their reviews, I just much prefer the way they did things during the GC/XBOX/PS2 era.

And to those who are STILL complaining about the Mercenaries review... I'm sorry but if a game is so buggy that you can walk up to a group of enemies and melee them all to death with little to no reaction your game most definitely deserves a 5.

pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts
noooo no no no havnt in ages, there reviews are always inaccurate. although they hit the nail on the head with mercs 2, that game was awful im still not sure why people were hyped for that game
pete_merlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 pete_merlin
Member since 2007 • 6098 Posts

No, after giving two straight 10.0's(GTAIV and Metal Gear) after like ten years of given the last one to LOZ:OOT. It seemed to me that they were comercially forced to do it. By the way, I didn't like GTAIV, this game just didn't got me inlove with it. I really enjoyed though, GTA San Andreas.Rampanterage

reviewers were overly hyped for these two games, neither of them deserve a 10 even though they both rock!!!!

therapyhiccup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 therapyhiccup
Member since 2005 • 1800 Posts

I like how their reviews have become really harsh. It makes me feel like a well-received game now is really something I should look into. I think that after they got flack for giving out 2 10's in less than a month, they really stepped up. Their reviews aren't painfully lower than the MetaCritic or GameRanking averages, it's just that they didn't like Too Human or Mercenaries 2 as much as other publications, which is completely okay. According to the HotSpot podcast, the reviewer was cursing the TV due to Mercenaries 2's bugs; if he had given it a good score so GameSpot can fall in line with the other publication's earlier-published reviews, then I would have had a problem.JAB991

nicely put.