Are casual gamers ruining your gaming experience?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

Since my last thread had some successand it was more interesting than most of the threads on this board I figured I'd make another attempt at starting a conversation.

With gaming becoming a bigger and more socially acceptable hobby I've noticed a trend in video game companies trying to make their game more attractive to young or new gamers. It seems that more and more games are adding features to help new players get into gaming. As an example, Gears of War 3 will feature a buff on any player who has never played a Gears of War game in the past in order to make it more attractive for people who might be having a hard time getting kills.

Call of Duty 6 Modern Warfare 2 had death perks which would help people who were having a hard time staying alive. These perks could either give you more HP for a few seconds when first spawning, or let you go into Last Stand for a minute and finally bring you back on your feet after staying down for a minute.

At first this didn't bother me much, gaming was becoming more and more popular, video game companies were making more money, games were earning a higher production value, and then Gears of War 2 came out and it felt like a Casual gamers game. Every single dirty trick in the book was completely disregarded by Epic. Letting people double melee you without consequence or way for the person being cheated into a death to defend themselves. The Chainsaw, for the longest time, would put people into God Mode where they would not flinch even while under heavy fire. Stopping power made any sort of short range fighting obsolete. And don't even get me started on Smoke Gernades and how awful the shotgun spread was.

And with the launching of Kinect and Move it feels as if games are becoming incredibly simple with little to no thought behind them except for a few hours of a "That was kind of cool" feeling followed by zero replay value. How many people bought a Wii to play games such as Wii Play/ Wii Sports, and Mario Kart? How many people then grew bored of how boring the feature of being more physically active because the games were just carbon copies of each other with no innovation behind them?

And now that my rant is over, do you feel as if casual gamers are ruining our community?

Edit: Grammar

Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

That's complete ignorance it's open to everyone there's no ''rules'' on who can play. Yes there is alot of new people joining games but they have to start somewhere?! It's unfair portraying that casual gamers ruin your experience.

kelvin53778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kelvin53778
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts
i dont get what youre trying to say. You dont like noobs?
Wakanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Wakanoid
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts
i dont get what youre trying to say. You dont like noobs?kelvin53778
He's saying that casual gamers are making games become more casual. Which can ruin it for some hardcore gamers. Like in Modern Warfare 2 how it had death perks, that was just the start of helping casual players (noobs). I think what he's trying to say is they're making it so casual players can have cheap tactics to beat pro's who actually play a lot and work on their skill.
kelvin53778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kelvin53778
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts
i just want the new games to have legit leaderboards. So we can see the true pros
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DamianAlexander

That's complete ignorance it's open to everyone there's no ''rules'' on who can play. Yes there is alot of new people joining games but they have to start somewhere?! It's unfair portraying that casual gamers ruin your experience.

gibson-les-rick

I think you missed my point. I don't care if there are new/casual gamers starting to get into gaming. They feed our economy and because of it we have gotten much higher production values out of a lot of gaming companies. What I don't like is how they are spoon feed for a while simply because they're new to it. When I first starting gaming you either learned how to play the game or found a new one. The game didn't automatically handicap everybody else simply because you weren't having fun. How am I suppose to have fun when the game is intentionally changing the rules to satisfy one or a group of people who just aren't good at the game?

You might say something like "Well, maybe you should quit complaining and just beat them anyway. You should be better. Blah, blah, blah" but I don't feel as if it's fare to completely change a set of rules to just satisfy one person.

For example, in school no teacher changed the rules for one student simply because they weren't having fun. No teacher would ever say "Okay, Jimmy is struggleing in dodgeballso we're not allowed to hit him anymore". You either picked up the slack or you lost.

And as to my second point, it's upsetting to see casual gamers so satisfied by titles are are incredibly unsatisfying. There are so many games that bring nothing new to the table and they live on simply because they sell so many copies to casual gamers who are seemingly satisfied by anything.

I know that my last point is incredibly bias but I'm just trying to put my point across. Five dollars says that Kinect brings with it 10 games that do the same exact sports game emulation and sell.

shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shyco
Member since 2006 • 613 Posts

Well playing games for me is recreation, and that part isnt ruined by making games more approachable for the average person

Avatar image for gibson-les-rick
gibson-les-rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 gibson-les-rick
Member since 2007 • 798 Posts

I do get what you mean about the player handicaps. But business is business, Game Company's are making games more accessible to noobs so they will purchase the game and continue playing it. I know from personal experience that when I try out a new game that's not noob-accessible online, I get bored of dying every 2 minutes and I get turned off the game.

rawrB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 rawrB
Member since 2009 • 627 Posts

Since my last thread had some successand it was more interesting than most of the threads on this board I figured I'd make another attempt at starting a conversation.

With gaming becoming a bigger and more socially acceptable hobby I've noticed a trend in video game companies trying to make their game more attractive to young or new gamers. It seems that more and more games are adding features to help new players get into gaming. As an example, Gears of War 3 will feature a buff on any player who has never played a Gears of War game in the past in order to make it more attractive for people who might be having a hard time getting kills.

Call of Duty 6 Modern Warfare 2 had death perks which would help people who were having a hard time staying alive. These perks could either give you more HP for a few seconds when first spawning, or let you go into Last Stand for a minute and finally bring you back on your feet after staying down for a minute.

At first this didn't bother me much, gaming was becoming more and more popular, video game companies were making more money, games were earning a higher production value, and then Gears of War 2 came out and it felt like a Casual gamers game. Every single dirty trick in the book was completely disregarded by Epic. Letting people double melee you without consequence or way for the person being cheated into a death to defend themselves. The Chainsaw, for the longest time, would put people into God Mode where they would not flinch even while under heavy fire. Stopping power made any sort of short range fighting obsolete. And don't even get me started on Smoke Gernades and how awful the shotgun spread was.

And with the launching of Kinect and Move it feels as if games are becoming incredibly simple with little to no thought behind them except for a few hours of a "That was kind of cool" feeling followed by zero replay value. How many people bought a Wii to play games such as Wii Play/ Wii Sports, and Mario Kart? How many people then grew bored of how boring the feature of being more physically active because the games were just carbon copies of each other with no innovation behind them?

And now that my rant is over, do you feel as if casual gamers are ruining our community?

DamianAlexander

death perks are you for real man? they did hardly anything to help any one they sucked, i cant talk for gears coz i played it and found it to be a skill less game to begin with as it takes two thousand rounds to kill someone.

kinect is new tech that is exciting and your dissing it because you claiming it be casual ? how is it going to be more for the casual gamer when we dont know what kinect holds as far as games goes there are just demo games so far that have been shown that are just to show what sort of thing kinect does . i agree with the guy above you seem quite ignorant, if not for the newbs but for commenting no kinect when you dont really know were its going to lead.

I dont see how moving around for kinect is going to diss the hardcore gamer is it just because you all wana lay around on the chair ?

i would consider my self in the group of ' hardcore gamer' as lame as that sounds and im looking forward to what kinect will bring even if all i use it for is talking to my xbox and instructing it what to do.

to be honest i think the hardcore gamer tag is bul **** some one who starts a game and gets wasted every time by someone who plays games none stop every day of course deserves a chance to develop, its like starting out at a sport lets say boxing or fighting and you get in with some one who beats the crap out of you because its your first day... every one needs to learn. and to others you couls seem to suck yourself .

dont be a douche :)

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DamianAlexander

[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

rawrB

death perks are you for real man? they did hardly anything to help any one they sucked, i cant talk for gears coz i played it and found it to be a skill less game to begin with as it takes two thousand rounds to kill someone.

kinect is new tech that is exciting and your dissing it because you claiming it be casual ? how is it going to be more for the casual gamer when we dont know what kinect holds as far as games goes there are just demo games so far that have been shown that are just to show what sort of thing kinect does . i agree with the guy above you seem quite ignorant, if not for the newbs but for commenting no kinect when you dont really know were its going to lead.

I dont see how moving around for kinect is going to diss the hardcore gamer is it just because you all wana lay around on the chair ?

i would consider my self in the group of ' hardcore gamer' as lame as that sounds and im looking forward to what kinect will bring even if all i use it for is talking to my xbox and instructing it what to do.

to be honest i think the hardcore gamer tag is bul **** some one who starts a game and gets wasted every time by someone who plays games none stop every day of course deserves a chance to develop, its like starting out at a sport lets say boxing or fighting and you get in with some one who beats the crap out of you because its your first day... every one needs to learn. and to others you couls seem to suck yourself .

dont be a douche :)

I didn't realize expressing my opinions made me a douche. I apologize.

Now, sarcasm aside; You bring up a good point. Why would you face a guy in his 20's who has never played baseball against the Phillies. (Yes, I'm from Philadelphia... Go Phillies!" I'm all for casual and hardcore game types, lobbies. Just don't put new players in a general lobby and expect them to not suck. Don't handicap them simply because their new. If you feel as if you want to inform the new community on how to play add a gametype that does just that.

And I'm not "dissing" Kinect for what it brings to the table, I'm "dissing" video game companies who will carbon copy every single Wii title.

rawrB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rawrB
Member since 2009 • 627 Posts
And by ur kinect wii comment I suppose you mean wii fit and sports, again what is wrong with that it gets kids more active , some thing the USA and uk is crying out for. It is not intended to be for hardcore gamers it's for people that maybe struggle to do exercise. Sorry but these kind of things annoy me quite alot. And it's the way u express them that makes u a douche,
seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

A well-designed game can be both accessible for newcomers AND rewarding for more hardcore players.

Either way, I dont pigeonhole myself as any 'sort' of gamer. I play games a lot, but that doesn't mean I dont like some of the more casual stuff. I'm playing Plants vs Zombies right now and its a blast.

To be honest, I have more of a problem with this sort of elitist attitude than I do developers catering to casual players.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
no not at all
sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

What is it with hardcore gamers bashing Kinect ??? what is it all about?? I just dont get it. This is an extra OPTIONAL piece of hardware that at the moment is marketed for the casual games market and the younger gamers. Dont buy the ******* thing and carry on playing your COD or Gears its not really there for the likes of you and just because people dont like the idea of it does not mean others wont enjoy it. And as for these true skill rankings who cares!! I dont look at the top of the leaderboards of any game I play online. Why would that be usefull unless your a MLGamer yourself and as for small boosts for noobs its hardly shooting them to the top of these leaderboard. Your point is pointless. I have played so many games were I have beat someone who is 7 or 8 ranks higher than me or been beat myself by someone 7 or 8 ranks lower than me. Like I said unless your a true (unlike the people who say there pro on there gamertag)pro gamer rankings mean nothing apart from helping a little with matchmaking.

GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GFugue
Member since 2009 • 935 Posts

No. I have more fun playing with casual gamers than with the self-called "Pro's" (And I'm the type of guy who likes to get good at a game - just ask the guys who play Modern Warfare, Reach or Forza with me). At least casual gamers are, apparently, trying to have fun in a game. And, let's face it, what you're saying is completely false: the "aid" that some games give to newcomers can't compare to the skill a seasoned player has -- just tell me ONE game where you felt deeply hindered because of it's newcomer "buff" system.

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

I apologize in kind sir, as I am a "casual" gamer. Unless I'm misunderstanding casual here. By my definition, I'm only playing games 3-4 hours at a time, whenever I chose to play.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

A well-designed game can be both accessible for newcomers AND rewarding for more hardcore players.

Either way, I dont pigeonhole myself as any 'sort' of gamer. I play games a lot, but that doesn't mean I dont like some of the more casual stuff. I'm playing Plants vs Zombies right now and its a blast.

To be honest, I have more of a problem with this sort of elitist attitude than I do developers catering to casual players.

seankane
Precisely this.
Blazed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blazed
Member since 2005 • 2947 Posts

No. I have more fun playing with casual gamers than with the self-called "Pro's" (And I'm the type of guy who likes to get good at a game - just ask the guys who play Modern Warfare, Reach or Forza with me). At least casual gamers are, apparently, trying to have fun in a game. And, let's face it, what you're saying is completely false: the "aid" that some games give to newcomers can't compare to the skill a seasoned player has --just tell me ONE game where you felt deeply hindered because of it's newcomer "buff" system.

GFugue

Devil May Cry 4.

Is it really not that abvious? :roll: Wow.

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
I agree that games are being watered down to be more "accessible" i.e no recoil in Medal of Honor
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

no but corporates are. selling a half decent game for money. what happened to the focus on gameplay? its turning into the gaming crash of 83/84 again

Loudli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Loudli
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

While i think you are simplifying this a little too much, everyone has to start somewhere, gaming has evolved alot in the past years and there is much need to attract new gamers on the market!, If you dont like kinect, its obviously not directed to you, so dont get it:)

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

i remember way back when gaming was seem as weird and nerdy

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I've had a blast playing games this gen. Casuals haven't hurt me any.
Vance009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vance009
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

As i find myself becoming a older gamer; Doing so I play less now. When I do play I want to just play for fun not be called a noob and other things when I play online. so the question are casual gamers ruining the gaming experience? I would say no, but I would like to see xbox live make it more easy to play with people like me and not get thrown into a match with MLG wannabes.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

i cant talk for gears coz i played it and found it to be a skill less game to begin with as it takes two thousand rounds to kill someone.

rawrB

oh the irony...

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts

My beef lies with the industry shifting towards pleasing the more casual gamer. I have nothing against casual gamers; however, what I do have a problem with is the fact that developers are more or less "dumbing down" (and I use that term loosely) their games to appeal to casual gamers, leaving those of us that have grown and evolved with the industry for many years, left wondering why our games no longer have the edge and challenge they once had. Then again, I understand that gaming is my hobby, but to developers it is a business and your main goal in business is revenue. They need to appeal to a wider base to bring in more revenue and I understand and respect that...I simply don't like it! :)

javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts

Well playing games for me is recreation, and that part isnt ruined by making games more approachable for the average person

shyco
this
ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

gibson-les-rick

This.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DamianAlexander

My one question is, did anyone read what I wrote? It seems as if everyone read the topic and either felt offended or defensive of casual gamers.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
yeah i did, and no i dont feel casual gamers are ruining the gaming community.
Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

My beef lies with the industry shifting towards pleasing the more casual gamer. I have nothing against casual gamers; however, what I do have a problem with is the fact that developers are more or less "dumbing down" (and I use that term loosely) their games to appeal to casual gamers, leaving those of us that have grown and evolved with the industry for many years, left wondering why our games no longer have the edge and challenge they once had. Then again, I understand that gaming is my hobby, but to developers it is a business and your main goal in business is revenue. They need to appeal to a wider base to bring in more revenue and I understand and respect that...I simply don't like it! :)

MsCortana

My thoughts exactly...They see the money to be made from casual gamers so that is who they are currently targeting.:(...So I guess casual gamers are not so much ruining my gaming experience but changing it...Only time will tell if it's for better or for worse.

Nooberman2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Nooberman2k
Member since 2010 • 449 Posts
The way I see it, no one is taking away the hardcore inaccessible games. I think the TC's issue is more with the major releases being made easier for the new players. In my opinion, this isn't a bad thing. At the end of the day, we play games to have fun, at least that's what I've come to believe over the last 20 years of playing games. Perhaps if the *ahem* "pro gamers" were more willing to help the new players learn the ropes rather than shouting "OMG n00bz0r LoLz" there would be significantly less need for assists.
javafriek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 javafriek
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
Whether you or anyone else likes it or not casual gamers are gamers also and apparently there is a huge market on the rise for them. Why is adding new features to help new gamers get into gaming something to whine about? Why make a thread about it? The gaming world is evolving, it's not some secret club that only you and your friends are allowed to join. If you don't like certain things about "perks" or multiplayer gaming then find something else to do with your time.
Jdon2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jdon2008
Member since 2008 • 465 Posts

To me they design for both casual and Hardcore gamers.. Thats why they have different game types to play.

grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 grounderman
Member since 2010 • 341 Posts

How many people bought a Wii to play games such as Wii Play/ Wii Sports

DamianAlexander
60.67 million people
noway78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 noway78
Member since 2010 • 238 Posts

i liked the part where the TC self deeemd his other thread more interesting than most eevry other thread on here, have u ever read or met someone so indulged in themselves?

Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

Wow, quite a few defensive posts here, and a couple actually calling him names. It seems to me he was just wanting to see what your take was on some games going a more casual route and what it may mean for you in the future, or if it should mean anything to you.

I don't mind casual games or gamers, but I don't want a majority of the games becoming all about kinect. Will it? I don't know, I hope not.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't really effect me.. I won't be using these benefits and the people who are, they need the help
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DamianAlexander

The way I see it, no one is taking away the hardcore inaccessible games. I think the TC's issue is more with the major releases being made easier for the new players. In my opinion, this isn't a bad thing. At the end of the day, we play games to have fun, at least that's what I've come to believe over the last 20 years of playing games. Perhaps if the *ahem* "pro gamers" were more willing to help the new players learn the ropes rather than shouting "OMG n00bz0r LoLz" there would be significantly less need for assists. Nooberman2k

I feel as if it shouldn't be the communities responsibily to take players under our wings but for the actual games and not by hindering the community. It's increadibly bias that a new player deserve so many buffs simply because they're new.

I'm all for them making a training mode, non-ranked lobbies, etc... But don't double HP and the damage output of someone in a ranked game simply because they're new. That's not fair to the rest of us.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DamianAlexander

Whether you or anyone else likes it or not casual gamers are gamers also and apparently there is a huge market on the rise for them. Why is adding new features to help new gamers get into gaming something to whine about? Why make a thread about it? The gaming world is evolving, it's not some secret club that only you and your friends are allowed to join. If you don't like certain things about "perks" or multiplayer gaming then find something else to do with your time.javafriek

Again, I'm miss read. I'm not against them, I don't mind casual gamers at all. They feed our gaming economy and have a huge hand in making games more successful. What I am against is them being spoon feed points in ranked games simply because they're new. It's outrageous to think that anybody should get any sort of buff in a gametype that determines how good you are on a competitive level.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DamianAlexander

i liked the part where the TC self deeemd his other thread more interesting than most eevry other thread on here, have u ever read or met someone so indulged in themselves?

noway78

Considering you're new to this community you're not aware of how many recycled threads we go through every day. And considering that no one here has actually ever met me you're second sentence doesn't make sense. Thank you for bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DamianAlexander

[QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

grounderman

60.67 million people

You're miss quoting me by cutting out the parts that would explain this phrase. I didn't ask a question, I purposed a thought.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#43 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Not really. For every piece of Shovelware like Kinect, there are about a million games every year that I have tremendous fun with.

And TC, I totally agree with your last paragraph. All the Wii games hold my attention for about 10 minutes at most. My life is packed with physical activity, and I play game to be immersed and to relax.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DamianAlexander

To me they design for both casual and Hardcore gamers.. Thats why they have different game types to play.

Jdon2008

That's just the thing, games like Gears of War and Call of Duty are giving players buffs in ranked gametypes. I would not care if they added these sort of buffs in unranked gametypes.

GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GFugue

If you dislike what the game industry is doing to cater to new players, you shouldn't name your topic "Are casual gamers ruining your gaming experience?".

In any case, I've never played a game in which I felt that the "helping hand" the game gave to newcomers was holding me back. I can't actually think of any competitive game with a significant buff (Sorry, but if you're dying to noobs in Gears of War or CoD, you're probably not playing well enough) that could hinder me - sure, Call of Duty has the Death Streak (Accessible by any player, as long as they die a few times without killing), and.. some games have Aim Assist. And that's that. There's no help to the casual gamer in Gears of War 2 - the saw running is retarded and can be stopped with a shotgun to the face, a grenade or simply turning around and running away faster.

I just don't feel significantly bothered by any small aid games may offer to their playerbase.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

gibson-les-rick
I agree as well, dumb and inconsiderate thing to say imo, that's like saying girls shouldn't play games cause they are girls, causal gamers have a right to play games as well, if you don't like casual games then don't play them.
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DamianAlexander

If you dislike what the game industry is doing to cater to new players, you shouldn't name your topic "Are casual gamers ruining your gaming experience?".

In any case, I've never played a game in which I felt that the "helping hand" the game gave to newcomers was holding me back. I can't actually think of any competitive game with a significant buff (Sorry, but if you're dying to noobs in Gears of War or CoD, you're probably not playing well enough) that could hinder me - sure, Call of Duty has the Death Streak (Accessible by any player, as long as they die a few times without killing), and.. some games have Aim Assist. And that's that. There's no help to the casual gamer in Gears of War 2 - the saw running is retarded and can be stopped with a shotgun to the face, a grenade or simply turning around and running away faster.

I just don't feel significantly bothered by any small aid games may offer to their playerbase.

GFugue

I named my topic the way I did because I felt as if it would gain the most attention. What I didn't foresee was the lack of reading that would be put into my argument. I honestly thought that most of us knew the golden rule "Do not judge a book by it's cover".

The interesting thing is, despite the fact that the "helping hand" that game developers give our new community isn't game breaking, it is still a buff that should not be placed anywhere in a competitive environment where I'm supposed to feel equal to everybody else on the battlefield to prove that I am better than them.

DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DamianAlexander

[QUOTE="gibson-les-rick"]

wizdom

I agree as well, dumb and inconsiderate thing to say imo, that's like saying girls shouldn't play games cause they are girls, causal gamers have a right to play games as well, if you don't like casual games then don't play them.

I never said that casual gamers shouldn't be allowed to play. I never said that the gaming industry should only be catered to hardcore gamers, what I am saying is that it's wrong for the rest of the community to be nerfed because they aren't having fun and aren't willing to learn how to play the game.

grounderman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 grounderman
Member since 2010 • 341 Posts

[QUOTE="grounderman"][QUOTE="DamianAlexander"]

DamianAlexander

60.67 million people

You're miss quoting me by cutting out the parts that would explain this phrase. I didn't ask a question, I purposed a thought.

im not really giving an argument. but hey! 60.67 million! gee!
GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GFugue

I read your topic, I just didn't find any strong argument sustaining it. To answer your question: no, casual gamers aren't ruining my gaming experience, and I've seldom felt "nerfed" because of a "buff" a game gives to its players. I'm not making any judgement of you: this is my opinion. The only thing I dislike are players who get angry at new players because "they don't know how to play" - I mean, com'on, everyone has to start somewhere.

Edit: Grammar.