1080p v 900p it's a big difference let's be honest.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Or let's be honest and instead admit that's absolute codswallop. I'm working my way through Halo MCC not having played all the games before and I'm now on Halo 2 and it looks AMAZING!

It's not full 1080p or even 900p so should never look AMAZING! I remember reading somewhere it's some other 'P' that's even less but it still looks absolutely gorgeous.

People of the world I implore you, stop getting hung up on which 'P' everything is.

Thank you.

Disclaimer: I play games on PC at 2560 x 1440 that particular P is 1440 which let's face it is a lot if anyone would know whether or not Halo 2 looks AMAZING! I believe I would be a reliable source.

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts

It's difficult to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV at regular viewing distances. Unfortunately, people use the pixels to determine which console is better.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

The biggest problem is having marketing departments dictate resolution. The settings should be chosen for artistic reasons and not to have "runs in 1080p" in your advertising. You can always up your resolution and frame rate by dialing down rendering quality or reducing the objects on the screen.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blueinheaven

@a55a55inx said:

It's difficult to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on a TV at regular viewing distances. Unfortunately, people use the pixels to determine which console is better.

Yes it's kind of sad unless everyone's gone out and bought 90 inch TV's when we weren't looking. I don't think they have though.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blueinheaven

@busterfriendly said:

The biggest problem is having marketing departments dictate anything at all.

Fixed that for you :)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Well, besides resolution, there are other things to look for like effects, framerate, AI, draw distance, audio, etc.

Resolution is just one part of a pie to look at when buying multiplats on machines.

Also, 900p vs. 1080p is a 30%+ difference.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blueinheaven

@SolidTy said:

Well, besides resolution, there are other things to look for like effects, framerate, AI, draw distance, audio, etc.

Resolution is just one part of a pie to look at when buying multiplats on machines.

True but you're talking about the difference between a good PC and a console. PS4 and X1 there just isn't that much difference worth talking about I'd say buy the system with the games you want to play let's face it when you play a game you're not constantly saying ooooh I wonder if that pixel there looks better on PS4. Or if you are, there's a white suit and a rocking chair with your name on it.

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

honestly, I take performance over 1080p anyday.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy

@blueinheaven said:

@SolidTy said:

True but you're talking about the difference between a good PC and a console. PS4 and X1 there just isn't that much difference worth talking about I'd say buy the system with the games you want to play let's face it when you play a game you're not constantly saying ooooh I wonder if that pixel there looks better on PS4. Or if you are, there's a white suit and a rocking chair with your name on it.

Sometimes that list above applies to PS4 vs. Xbone. GTA5 it was revealed has more effects, lens flare, foliage, etc on PS4. It's not a big deal, but I can't generalize and say that it's merely PC vs. consoles. It's a case by case basis.

Since I own them all, I'm always going to go with the best retail non-DRM version I can buy as a game collector. I did the same last gen. That meant I bought more 360 over PS3. This gen it seems more PS4 over Xbone. If you own both, you may as well get the best version for that same $60.

I do own some gaming PCs, but they are for exclusives as I can't stand DRM that comes with PC copies of games. Multiplats on consoles I bought on PS360 last gen, and I will buy on Xbone/PS4 this gen in a case by case basis.

If someone only owns one machine, I would tell them not to sweat it though.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

There's no such thing as a non-DRM version of GTA5.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

It depends on the how detailed the texture maps are. There's a point where dialing up the resolution ceases to matter because there simply aren't enough fine details present to show up at a higher resolution. Case in point, most 1600p vs 1080p games on current gen consoles look more or less the same in terms of detail.

But that's not to say that the resolution difference is entirely negligible. Games at 1600p look jaggier than their 1080p counterparts without any anti-aliasing to compensate. It's something that's immediately obvious in some games such as Watch Dogs on the PS4 (not 1080p IIRC).

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

I (and most people, even though they'd never admit it) wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 900p & 1080p.

I played Metro Redux on Xbone, and I thought it looked almost identical to my cousin's version on PS4. That's why all this res talk is so sad to me.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I (and most people, even though they'd never admit it) wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 900p & 1080p.

I played Metro Redux on Xbone, and I thought it looked almost identical to my cousin's version on PS4. That's why all this res talk is so sad to me.

I agree this res topic is getting out of hand.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Both consoles are weak. It's not that PS4 is more powerful, it's just less weak. They both suck. GTA5 is a last gen game and neither of these "next gen" consoles can run it at a steady 30 fps.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@blueinheaven: Let's be honest, I think it's not that big of a difference.

I also PC game on a 1440p display, I own both an x1 and a ps4 that I play pretty regularly. I play on a 60 inch Samsung, not too far away from it, and I've noticed that neither I or any of my friends can successfully tell the difference.

I ran the two destiny betas one after another on that same screen, me and both my buddies had a rough time telling the difference. Then I went out and bought FC4 for my Xbox One, it's resolution hasn't been announced yet as far as I know. Playing it now I have no idea if it's 900p or 1080p because it is honestly really hard to tell.

Frame rate is a big deal, not resolution. If a ps4 version has a much better frame rate I would choose that. But I'm not giving up my favorite controller (x1) and most of my friends (x1) for 180p that barely anyone can notice. 900p with a good upscaler makes for a great image.

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

@SolidTy: The PS4 version of Gta V is not different enough to matter though. All the same assets, textures, models, physics etc. Same exact frame rate and resolution. But on the ps4 you get more lense flare and more grass... Yay?

I mean it's nice that it's there if you have it for ps4,but the x1 version is not significantly worse. For the most part yes it is PC vs console, the console versions are always far to close for it to actually matter. You won't get a game that actually plays in a superior way on ps4.

Frame rate is the most relevant and noticeable thing in a game and usually the console versions are identical in that department. Otherwise they run games on medium /High PC settings... Sometimes with more grass.

Edit: I'm not going to give up my favorite controller just because I get some more grass in certain areas. It's not always so simple to say, well that version has more grass so I want it on ps4. For me it's not worth it, if the ps4 has significantly more frames (like tomb raider did) then I'll consider it.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I can tell the difference between my old TV and AV cables to my new flat screen and HDMI, games look significally better with HDMI but to me those differences you all seem to care so much about like frame rate and Ps is like spliting hairs, I see no difference at all.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Truth be told is the difference between PC versions of multiplats and consoles even worth talking about? I get you can mod PC games and all that other stuff, but when Gamespot (or other major sites) have graphical comparisons between consoles and PC, I can barely even tell the difference.

Mind you that's from a standstill picture, I bet you when the game is in motion it's even more hard to tell. Sure the PC has a few extra trees in the background and a better draw distance but to me that doesn't justify spending $500-$600 Australian dollars on a new graphics card when I can just get it on my PS4 and it looks just as good imo.

Oh but of course we can't say those things, because PC fanboys will be down our necks in a heartbeat. (By the way yes, I do own a gaming PC).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I cant tell the difference maybe I need glasses who knows.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I thought Halo 2 wasn't 1080p...?

spartanx169x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 spartanx169x
Member since 2013 • 2905 Posts

I'll be honest. I could bring you to my house and set up a game on PS4 and Xb1 and I bet money you could not tell me which system the game was running on .

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blueinheaven

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

It's not but it still looks fantastic, that's kind of my point.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I no this is not system wars or TV wars etc. But, Is PC resolution different to console resolution and what your tv native resolution depends on game resolution for both pc and consoles?.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blueinheaven

@skipper847 said:

I no this is not system wars or TV wars etc. But, Is PC resolution different to console resolution and what your tv native resolution depends on game resolution for both pc and consoles?.

Max console resolution for games is 1080p (for PS4 and Xbox One). That's 1920 x 1080. PC's can go much higher than that but to get the most out of it you'll need a 4k TV or a monitor that supports high resolutions. So if you put a PC through a TV 1080p is as high as you're going to go without a 4k TV though the details and textures and frame rates pretty much everything will be better using a PC at that resolution. For most people though PS4 or Xbox One will be fine on a HDTV they both look great.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SolidTy

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

It's not, confirmed by 343 themselves. It was discussed here (linky).

Long story short, Halo 2 could have been 1080p, but then users wouldn't be able to shift into old graphics mode.

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@Ross_the_Boss6 said:

It's not but it still looks fantastic, that's kind of my point.

Ah okay, I thought you were saying 1080p is amazing and you were using Halo 2 as an example. My mistake. I should stop skimming :P

But yeah, I agree. 1080p is nice on my PC monitor when I'm right up against the screen. But playing on a TV I can hardly tell.

mikeaaml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mikeaaml
Member since 2015 • 8 Posts

If you ask me, people should look more into performance than resolution and graphics.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SolidTy

An old thread necro?

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Transk53
Member since 2015 • 564 Posts

Over the years I have had some monstor nVidia cards. One was factory overclocked. That was back in the day when some manafacturers started to venture that way. Aside from the fact that some arcitecture was rehashed, and some brand new, I could not tell the difference in res. Same with the Xbox. Once upon a time, a gamer I know in real life, claims that he can count FPS looking at a screen.

Like the comment above, I also very much doubt that anybody can tell the difference in res, pixel count or whatever unless using some benching software. If they do claim otherwise, I always say prove it. Maybe 4K, but that is a big jump. However, looking at some new TV's the other day, I could not discern much difference. Being a PC fanboy, I have heard and read threads that have descended into flame wars really, all becuase of "My gfx is biiger than yours"

Plus also, MCC is a redux right. Halo 2 is going to look better with a higher res no.

Transk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Transk53
Member since 2015 • 564 Posts

@mikeaaml said:

If you ask me, people should look more into performance than resolution and graphics.

Yep. I have been one of those since my original Pentium. Research into product lines and families always pays dividends. Bit more difficult and limited with a console, but a decent TV can still be found on the good old "bang per buck" product.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

Lets be honest, moo, moos make no big difference here. :P

awe_snap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 awe_snap
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

Your PS4 also sounds like it's going to explode. Let's be honest.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

I think it depends on how big your TV is, I play on a 32" TV so 1080p, 900p or 720p does not make a difference at all to me.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@SolidTy said:

An old thread necro?

Yep, I wonder how long until mike is advertising a website or game on here now that he's got enough posts to start his own thread.

As for the OP, even though it's an old thread, I have a pair of 40" tvs side by side in my game room. I also own both the PS4 and X1 with 8 games on both consoles(Destiny, TTK, CoD Ghosts, AW, Black Ops 3, BF4, Thief, and Project CARS). Neither me nor any of my friends can tell the difference with both consoles on and playing the exact same game at the exact same time.

Even recently with Black Ops 3, I installed them on the two consoles at the same time, and my X1 was ready to play about 15 seconds before the PS4 was ready, nothing major at all. So far, I've been playing mostly on the PS4, but the controller is horrible for MP, I keep having to readjust my hands because the thumb sticks are so slippery and falling apart. There is a lot more to the gaming experience than resolution.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I cant play my consoles on my 1080p 27" asus vg27he it too pixelated for them. Even PC what it meant for is actually pixelated but not as much as console games. I should have gotten a smaller monitor at 1080p or even 1440p at least at 27". So yeah you can tell difference for sure.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I can't see the difference.

maquan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By maquan
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts

I've moved from PS4 to X1 recently, both console hooked up with Samsung 40" 4K TV

I can clearly tell the difference of 1080p vs 900p. Games on PS4 looked sharp and clear but on X1 it feel like playing on lower setting!

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

It depends on how good your tv is. I can see that many lcd's do not produce a clean enough picture to see the difference. I'm sure the lcd panels have become much better, but I could tell a huge difference on many friends lcd's compared to my 1080p plasma.

I also believe that owners of 4k sets are just now seeing big difference that plasma users have known all along, since their previous lcd was no comparison to a plasma. A 1080p plasma produces way more color detail than most lcd's.

You should be able to see a noticeable difference with 900p vs 1080p, of course considering your tv is up to it. The same arguments come up in audio, and the ones that say they cant tell the difference just dont know any better. So I say to any of you guys that state they cannot see the difference, can you consider maybe its your tv?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidTy

@juboner said:

It depends on how good your tv is. I can see that many lcd's do not produce a clean enough picture to see the difference. I'm sure the lcd panels have become much better, but I could tell a huge difference on many friends lcd's compared to my 1080p plasma.

I also believe that owners of 4k sets are just now seeing big difference that plasma users have known all along, since their previous lcd was no comparison to a plasma. A 1080p plasma produces way more color detail than most lcd's.

You should be able to see a noticeable difference with 900p vs 1080p, of course considering your tv is up to it. The same arguments come up in audio, and the ones that say they cant tell the difference just dont know any better. So I say to any of you guys that state they cannot see the difference, can you consider maybe its your tv?

Yes. People around here assume they all have the same quality HDTV sets, but what you said is correct.

I see the differences, but I also spend more on higher quality AV gear to see those differences.

Hell, I remember seeing differences and gains in jumping from just AV video to S video back in the day. I will gladly buy the best version I can get for my $60 bearing in mind my collector's mentality (freely lend/trade/sell/etc)

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@maquan said:

I've moved from PS4 to X1 recently, both console hooked up with Samsung 40" 4K TV

I can clearly tell the difference of 1080p vs 900p. Games on PS4 looked sharp and clear but on X1 it feel like playing on lower setting!

Why in god's name would you buy a 40" 4K TV.... The benefit of that pixel density on a screen that small is nearly non-existent.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@nyadc said:
@maquan said:

Why in god's name would you buy a 40" 4K TV.... The benefit of that pixel density on a screen that small is nearly non-existent.

Isn't it obvious? He blew a bunch of money on a 4k so he could win in system wars... oh wait this isn't system wars...

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#42 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Why are some threads on Xbox Association coming out a year after release.I mean a flippin year later??What gives??