Dark Souls II Edge Info

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

• Dynamic lighting
  • huge graphical leap ready for next gen
  • Edge says PC version it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313
  • Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
  • Miyazaki says he regrets sending Dark Souls out ahead of time, won't happen for Dark Souls 2
  • The decision was made by From Soft and Namco for him to step aside.
  • The reason given is for the I.P to evolve it needs fresh blood
  • He is working on something else but wouldn't say what
  • New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
  • Story will be more clear
  • In development Since September 2011
  • bigger team working on the game
  • morality system
  • 2014 Release date
  • Only 25% complete
  • Early parts are restricted, so it won't be too hard. After a ceartain time, you'll expierence the true Dark Souls

Neogaf Summary

[spoiler] Edge says they were shown a 10 minute playthrough of Dark Souls 2, and it is a huge step forward graphically. It looks on par with Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313 in terms of "next-gen"-ness, or so they claim.

- Miyazaki is not working on the development of Dark Souls 2. He is not a director or producer, and is merely a "supervisor".

- Even as a supervisor, he isn't making any development decisions. He only tried to reinforce the team's commitment to releasing things on time, because of the bad experience they had with the patches in Dark Souls, and he also recommended the return to server-based gameplay ala Demon's Souls.

- The new directors, Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura, are indeed the From Software staff who previously directed the Another Century's Episode series. The decision to have the two directors replace Miyazaki was a company decision made by both From Software and Namco Bandai Games to help move the series forward in a fresh direction.

- Miyazaki is working full time on directing a new game. He will not disclose if it is a new IP or a sequel to something else.

- Darks Souls 2 will be a direct sequel, and have an open world of about the same size, but more dense with content.

- It does not take place on Lordran. The name of the world is the key of the story, they will reveal it at a later date.

- One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.

- Shibuya says he wants to make things like the Covenant system clearer and more accessible, and he wants to make the story and messaging less subtle.

- He promises there will still be "hidden" elements in the story and world which can be missed.

- Development started in September last year, and was done in parallel with some of the Dark Souls patches and DLC content.

- The game is 25% complete, and the team is substantially larger than Dark Souls. The world creation internal staff for the sequel is nearly double that of the first game.

- The game might not make it for 2013.

- They showed a fat grotesque creature, which Shibuya said was the result of the fusing of different creatures by a mad scientist character in the game, like Frankenstein.

- Another new enemy is a Nazgul-like black rider, who apparently serves as an executioner of evil doers. Shibuya confirms there is some sort of morality system in the game. [/spoiler]

Gamefaqs Summary

[spoiler] This the article source for the infamous "we want the skyrim audience" quote. To be perfectly clear, even though this was already known, this quote is from the writers of the article and not From Software.

-Huge leap in graphical quality. The game is compared to Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313. Dynamic lighting and smoother animations all around.

-Hidetake Miyazaki, the director for Dark/Demon's souls, will not be directing the game and will only be lightly involved in the production. To be perfectly honest it basically seems like his name is there to be there- his involvement is mostly about getting the project started and occasionally checking in on it.

-The unknown nature of the games came from Miyazaki's interest in western fantasy/mythology and his relative inability to read the English text as a child, leaving him to fill in the blanks.

-Miyazaki was disappointed about having to patch Dark Souls, saying that they pushed the game out without being 100% complete. Dark Souls II will be complete when it launches.

-Server based PVP is back (yay!)

-The information about the directors for the game is worrying. Information is unclear whether or not Miyazaki willingly stepped down from the director's chair. Namco calls is a "company decision" and has this disturbing anecdote to share:

"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

That **** sounds worrying to me. I could just be paranoid since this is one of the last bastions of hardcore gaming being released, but it sounds too much like PR bull ****.

-Miyazaki is working on a new game he can't talk about.

-Miyazaki is disappointed he doesn't have a greater role in Dark Souls II

-The Graphics are shockingly close to the trailer's quality

-According to Shibuya, one of the co-directors, the player's ability to parse meaning from subtle hints or clues will determine the difficulty of the game and the challenges that are there to experience.

-The map is roughly the same size, but has more content and more "areas of interest".

-The notion that Dark Souls needs to evolve was "common". Edge says not to expect a minor update.

-In designing map areas, the main concept was to create areas that had not been in either game.

-Talks of implementing a system that will let you reveal the clues you've learned over the course of the game (wut?)

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience". [/spoiler]

Game is getting Hayashi'd. F*ck this. Hype destroyed.

I can't post a link, since this info is from the Edge magazine scans, and scans aren't allowed to be posted.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

• Dynamic lighting -
  • Edge PC version says it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313
  • Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
  • Miyazaki says he regrets sending Dark Souls out ahead of time, won't happen for Dark Souls 2
  • New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
  • morality system
  • 2014 Release date
  • Only 25% complete
  • Early parts are restricted, so it won't be too hard. After a ceartain time, you'll expierence the true Dark Souls

I can't post a link, since this info is from the Edge magazine scans, and scans aren't allowed to be posted.

Thefatness16

So its being nerfed?

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#3 theSADmafioso
Member since 2008 • 482 Posts

It's good that there seems to be a next gen focus when I read this but they need to show gameplay and clear up what they mean before I allow myself to get excited.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
You could easily tell by trailer that the game's formula was changing. So much fast paced action in it that I didn't even believe it was Dark Souls II if it weren't for the voiced hints about the game being the sequel to last year's hard game and the Dark Souls II logo at the end. I'm not going to cry fail or be mad just yet, but I'm expecting a dumbing down of the series.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

so its a next gen game?TheGuardian03

Already confirmed for 360, PS3, PC. The ten minute demo was played on a very high end gaming laptop.

Maybe it is though.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]so its a next gen game?Thefatness16

Already confirmed for 360, PS3, PC. The ten minute demo was played on a very high end gaming laptop.

Maybe it is though.

So it is a PC-lead developed game? Good news.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I'm all down for expanding the audience but not to the point where it completely destroys the games core/central mechanics. Guess we'll wait and see.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Thefatness16

These 5 sound worrisome, and may bring plenty of changes that won't sit well with the "franchise's" fanbase...

A game like Dark Souls caters to its own niche, a very specific group of gamers, as indicated by the sales. It would be very difficult to market this to the "mainstream audiences", and if they try it while abandoning the original fanbase, there's a good chance things won't end well, as they might bring a product no one cares about...

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Was afraid crap like this would happen.
theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theSADmafioso

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Rocker6

These 5 sound worrisome, and may bring plenty of changes that won't sit well with the "franchise's" fanbase...

A game like Dark Souls caters to its own niche, a very specific group of gamers, as indicated by the sales. It would be very difficult to market this to the "mainstream audiences", and if they try it while abandoning the original fanbase, there's a good chance things won't end well, as they might bring a product no one cares about...

Yep, alot of red flags after I read this but then again expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised if you're wrong. Either way I feel like it's too early to have an opinion either way until actual gameplay is shown.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

theSADmafioso

Yep, alot of red flags after I read this but then again expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised if you're wrong. Either way I feel like it's too early to have an opinion either way until actual gameplay is shown.

True, it's too early to form opinions, and I don't like jumping to conclusions. That said, this did make me a bit skeptical, but will wait for more news, hoping we'll hear something more positive next time...

Elutheria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elutheria
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts
"One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past." Going to try not to prejudge this and remain open minded, but this part worries me. A director who has experience making games with crappy combat wants to change a game with excellent combat to be more like the crappy ones he made in the past? Hmm...
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I will wait for further footage of it to decide on it. It sounds like it will be more straightforward but not necessarily bad, that remains to be seen. But the graphical thing surprised me, hard to believe the game being close to that CG.

The straightforwardness sounds bad now but the part that worries me most is the morality system. That never ever works in a game, ever. There better not be like a bar and if it's full of good then I get the good ending, that sh!t sucks. DS1 had a great moral system by just letting you do what you wanted, you could kill NPCs if you liked and if it made you feel bad then there was your morality system. Having it tied to gameplay and story arcs would be bad.

If they're not careful this attempt at bringing the game to a broader audience could ruin the franchise and have the opposite effect

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#17 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
I still have Dark Souls 1, so I'm good with that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1

I still have Dark Souls 1, so I'm good with that. jg4xchamp

Also ^ this :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
[QUOTE="Elutheria"] "One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past." Going to try not to prejudge this and remain open minded, but this part worries me. A director who has experience making games with crappy combat wants to change a game with excellent combat to be more like the crappy ones he made in the past? Hmm...

Don't know who shibuya is but if he's a from software guy, he did Otogi. Those games were fun. And while I like Dark Souls more deliberate battle system it's not like they shouldn't look to improve. If they can keep the same depth, and improve the challenge, while even building some speed and fluidity to it? Not bad. Admittedly I'd rather have that kind of combat a lot closer to 60 frames.
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
"Edge says PC version it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313" I'll believe it when I see it.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
"For the IP to evolve and provide a new experience within the Dark Souls world the new wind from directors Shibuya and Tanimura is key to providing players with a brand new Dark Souls experience. In order to maintain expectations and satisfaction and the rewards players experience this was the time to bring in new characteristics and tastes of the directors for the series to continue evolving."

-Shibuya talks about "limiting players options for the early portion of the game, making it simpler to understand new concepts. Then, after a certain amount of time has elapsed, they will suddenly experience the true dark souls experience"Thefatness16
That first bit is the opposite of what I want to hear. That second bit, if executed properly, just means a good tutorial area. Which isn't always bad. Overall, I'm not having high expectations.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Dark Souls II confirmed to have Mountain Dew Double XP

:P

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rocker6

The straightforwardness sounds bad now but the part that worries me most is the morality system. That never ever works in a game, ever. There better not be like a bar and if it's full of good then I get the good ending, that sh!t sucks. DS1 had a great moral system by just letting you do what you wanted, you could kill NPCs if you liked and if it made you feel bad then there was your morality system. Having it tied to gameplay and story arcs would be bad.

seanmcloughlin

This is a good point, been thinking about the same thing. A contrived morality system definitely isn't something I'd like to see...

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
sooooo... what's wrong about this? they all look like improvements, and the "morality system" might be something similar to the tendency system from demon's souls, or how in dark souls some covenants hunted down evildoers.
Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
sooooo... what's wrong about this? they all look like improvements, and the "morality system" might be something similar to the tendency system from demon's souls, or how in dark souls some covenants hunted down evildoers.BrunoBRS
I liked the subtleness of the story, and they're pretty blatantly saying they're removing that. And the part about being more accessible could mean that they're making it easier, which I wouldn't like. Though if they handle it well, it wouldn't be a problem. It just doesn't sound good at this point in my opinion.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS

I will wait for further footage of it to decide on it. It sounds like it will be more straightforward but not necessarily bad, that remains to be seen. But the graphical thing surprised me, hard to believe the game being close to that CG.

If they're not careful this attempt at bringing the game to a broader audience could ruin the franchise and have the opposite effect

seanmcloughlin
they didn't say what the morality system would be, and what would be its effects on story (likely none). like i said, both previous souls game had a morality system of sorts, demon's being more straightforward about it. if you ignore the multiplayer side of dark souls, the "morality system" can easily go unnoticed, because you wouldn't be invaded, or invading other players, or hunting down players that invade other players (or that kill specific NPCs).
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]sooooo... what's wrong about this? they all look like improvements, and the "morality system" might be something similar to the tendency system from demon's souls, or how in dark souls some covenants hunted down evildoers.Loegi
I liked the subtleness of the story, and they're pretty blatantly saying they're removing that. And the part about being more accessible could mean that they're making it easier, which I wouldn't like. Though if they handle it well, it wouldn't be a problem. It just doesn't sound good at this point in my opinion.

*subtlety having a more clear story doesn't mean they'll remove the subtlety. when you think about it, dark souls had a pretty straightforward story, the subtlety was in the lore and the details (which they say they're keeping). and they pretty clearly state that they just want to improve the early game to make it more accessible to new players, before throwing them in the world. i don't see how that would harm you.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
Looks like ill just stick with demons souls and dark souls1. You can keep the spoon feed story and easy mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

BrunoBRS

they didn't say what the morality system would be, and what would be its effects on story (likely none). like i said, both previous souls game had a morality system of sorts, demon's being more straightforward about it. if you ignore the multiplayer side of dark souls, the "morality system" can easily go unnoticed, because you wouldn't be invaded, or invading other players, or hunting down players that invade other players (or that kill specific NPCs).

Yeah but they never promoted the morality system before as a selling point. It was just there and never affected the game as such, just the player. This sounds like it will be a Mass Effect type of morality system, which I know is jumping to conclusions but I hope not.

Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I'm worried, pessimistic, but very interested.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
so its a next gen game?TheGuardian03
I hope so. But I bet they release it on the PS3 and XBox 360 only because there is already a HUGE user base for both already intact. If they released it for the next gen system exclusively, they won't get nearly enough sales.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

It seems that they are messing with the formula that made the first two games great. I like Skyrim but I don't want Dark Souls 2 to be Skyrim. Many of this worries me.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

So, will probably be a next gen game

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Seems like they are making the diffulculty more responsive to the player, which seems like a good thing.

Those wanting to experience the basic can have their fun, and the core wanting to have their pain.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

I don't care much about the story, but hopefully they don't dumb down the gameplay.

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 theSADmafioso

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]so its a next gen game?blackace
I hope so. But I bet they release it on the PS3 and XBox 360 only because there is already a HUGE user base for both already intact. If they released it for the next gen system exclusively, they won't get nearly enough sales.

I get the sense that this will be one of those crossgen titles, with a graphically scaled down version for 360 & PS3. Why would they otherwise demo it on a high end PC.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

[QUOTE="blackace"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]so its a next gen game?theSADmafioso

I get the sense that this will be one of those crossgen titles, with a graphically scaled down version for 360 & PS3. Why would they otherwise demo it on a high end PC.

A lot of developers demo their games on high-end PCs because they want to market the best version of their games, not the laughable console versions.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

• Dynamic lighting -
  • Edge PC version says it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313
  • morality system
  • 2014 Release date
  • Only 25% complete

clyde46

So its being nerfed?

Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

If they make the game easy then it won't be the same Demon/Dark Souls that we know of. Those games had it's own original identity and if they make this game nerfed down then it would be some generic game that we all played many times before. Also I don't like the way that Miyazaki is treated badly from Namco and From Software. He was the one who made that series and he would know best if they gave him a bigger role in Dark Souls 2. Hopefully they won't screw this game up so badly.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Aside from the positive note on PC version quality, the rest of it sounds somewhat troubling. It may be for the better, so time will tell.
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
Eh, none of that sounds too bad to me. I'm fine with covenants being more straightforward and being eased into the game a little bit early on, as long as we get the true Souls series experience in the later parts of the game.
kickass1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kickass1337
Member since 2011 • 149 Posts
graphics king confirmed :D
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts
Why? Just why? How could they do this to my favorite new IP of this gen? This is disrespectful to all the fans of the games and gaming in general.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
Why? Just why? How could they do this to my favorite new IP of this gen? This is disrespectful to all the fans of the games and gaming in general.game_masta14
I love how everyone is jumping to conclusions. Lets wait and see. Maybe it'll turn out just the way we want it with some tweaked combat and some minor differences that ease newer players into the difficulty curve a bit more.
Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts
Its not Souls game anymore,good thing myazaki still can be direction for Demonssouls 2 as it is owned by Sony and they can decide if they want Miyazki to be the Directior
game_masta14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 game_masta14
Member since 2005 • 3251 Posts
[QUOTE="game_masta14"]Why? Just why? How could they do this to my favorite new IP of this gen? This is disrespectful to all the fans of the games and gaming in general.Animal-Mother
I love how everyone is jumping to conclusions. Lets wait and see. Maybe it'll turn out just the way we want it with some tweaked combat and some minor differences that ease newer players into the difficulty curve a bit more.

I'm really doubting it. This is looking to be another case of trying to capture an audience of a competing franchise or changing up the game so you can get the casual audience and piss off your current one. I'm already losing hope for this game and I pray Miyazaki's new game is Demon's Souls 2.
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]so its a next gen game?ShadowDeathX

Maybe it is though.

So it is a PC-lead developed game? Good news.

Lol, I love how PC gamers think this is a game for them, like they have a monopoly on RPGs. They never even got Demon's Souls, and it took them nearly a full year to get Dark Souls. :lol: And despite the Japanese hating the PC, which makes up most of their fanbase, they think... they think... oh Jesus. ****ing laugh my mother***ing ass off, ****. You guys don't have very many other non-MMO RPGs; you just like to believe you do. It's clearly a cross-generational title (2014 release date, seriously), but they can't reveal it on the 720 or PS4 just yet because they haven't been revealed.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Edge says PC version it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313

Dat Domination Continuation.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I knew that when Dark Souls was ported to PC the sequel would be dumbed down :(. Yet another franchise destroyed by the Farmville-crowd.
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

Demon Souls 2 for ps4 is what that guy is working on? lol :P