Dark Souls II Edge Info

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="ToScA-"] Guess they want to maximize profits as well. [QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"][QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"]hopefully they scrap the 360 version and PC so we get the full community togetherToScA-

Full cross platform play would be the better option.

That's disgusting! PCs and consoles should not mix.

Considering the game plays exactly the same across the board, they should entirely.

Especially with how small the userbase for dark souls on pc is.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts

[QUOTE="ToScA-"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"] Full cross platform play would be the better option.ReadingRainbow4

That's disgusting! PCs and consoles should not mix.

Considering the game plays exactly the same across the board, they should entirely.

Especially with how small the userbase for dark souls on pc is.

key board mouse users No.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#103 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
hopefully they scrap the 360 version and PC so we get the full community togetherPinnacleGamingP
Terrible idea, Souls series has really grown after going multiplatform. Thus the sequels.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

[QUOTE="silversix_"]

the only thing souls series always needed is graphics and if it has star wars 1313 graphics, holy sh*t.

themyth01

Not really , I don't think any hardcore DS player cares much about graphics. The greatest graphics wouldn't anything if the gameplay wasn't there.

What about having same gameplay and star wars 1313 graphics? Not because graphics are getting better that gameplay should suddenly suck. And i'd call myself a *hardcore* DS fan and since demons's souls i find them lacking and a lot. So many cool armors/weapons but you barely see any details of them cuz its so damn blurry

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessibleStory will be more clearmorality systemThefatness16
*flips table* *Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOO!!!*
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="silversix_"]

the only thing souls series always needed is graphics and if it has star wars 1313 graphics, holy sh*t.

silversix_

Not really , I don't think any hardcore DS player cares much about graphics. The greatest graphics wouldn't anything if the gameplay wasn't there.

What about having same gameplay and star wars 1313 graphics? Not because graphics are getting better that gameplay should suddenly suck. And i'd call myself a *hardcore* DS fan and since demons's souls i find them lacking and a lot. So many cool armors/weapons but you barely see any details of them cuz its so damn blurry

Nobody said graphics make gameplay worse, simply that the game is not about graphics. The best graphics won't help if the screw up the gameplay. Same gameplay and better graphics is of course better still.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#107 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

I really cannot see how graphics can screw up gameplay in anything unless it has some really obnoxious effects...

GD1551

I meant more resources being put into how a game looks than how it plays.

They have a large team, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

More importantly, the same people don't work on both the graphics and gameplay. All it means is they'll hire more people for asset generation or whatever.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I'm not really hyped for Dark Souls II because I already know what they're turning it into. It's not going to be anything like the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls that we all know and love.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I'm not really hyped for Dark Souls II because I already know what they're turning it into. It's not going to be anything like the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls that we all know and love.

XVision84

Your crystal ball seems to be the best around, first you have a full opinion on TLOU and now DS2 :P

But in all seriousness these first tidbits aren't sounding great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

seanmcloughlin

Your crystal ball seems to be the best around, first you have a full opinion on TLOU and now DS2 :P

But in all seriousness these first tidbits aren't sounding great.

It has yet to fail me ;)

But lets face it, we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Sadly, this happens to pretty much every series these days :(.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Not sure about this morality system. Maybe they mean something which works better than what I've experienced in other games, where it just feels contrived and unconvincing.

They want to keep the series fresh, but I'm confident that they'll make sure they don't lose the core things we love about these games, like the brilliant level design, the atmosphere, mystique, satisfying combat and challenge.

I hope it comes out on the next PlayStation. That way I could play it with it looking its best, and maybe even a smooth framerate the whole time (not that Dark Souls isn't a beautiful looking game) and hopefullly still have the trophy system.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Game is getting Hayashi'd.Thefatness16

nooooooooo.jpg

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

F*ck I do not like the sound of this much at all, especially the info about Miyazaki. It certainly sounds like he was forced out of his position and did not step down willingly, especially upon hearing that he is disappointed he doesn't have a larger role in the game. F*ck.

And please for the love of the series do not change the combat system. The deliberate pace is what makes the combat outstanding.

Damn it.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

I am a bit concerned about what they'll do with the combat, but I don't think it will be a drastic overhaul to the whole system. As in, you'll still have to be careful and take your time. There'll be extra moves I guess. On the other hand, I really didn't like the kick move which was added with Dark Souls.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
dont fck with the combat!! 360 beta version of the game for DS2 sequal!!
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

I don't like the sound of this. Guess I'll wait and see how it turns out.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

Cautiously optimistic. Some of that sounds pretty good, like updated graphics and return to servers. I really hope they don't mess up the structure though with these changes.

The story, for example, could still work with a more clear cut story. A relation between your character and another that develops in the front, with the backstory still left obscured, would work well in my opinon.

Also some of the areas in Dark Souls are admittedly stupid to find, like if you didn't know to attack that invisible wall in Blight town, and then the invisible wall behind that invisible wall, then you could miss a huge chunk of game and the dragon covenant. I would prefer a convoluted but rewarding puzzle or item collection that leads you to hidden areas, as opposed to just dumb luck or hoping other players make notes for you. In other words, discovery should be more like Painted World and less like Ash Lake.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

silversix_
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ReadingRainbow4
[QUOTE="silversix_"]

campzor

damnit now I want to play some dark souls.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
[QUOTE="tagyhag"]"Edge says PC version it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313" I'll believe it when I see it.

That does seem pretty sensational, but wont matter to me, wont be getting it anyways. :P
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#121 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
I don't understand why people are so worried. Just because the original Dark Souls is a masterpiece does not mean that any attempts to improve upon it will ruin the franchise forever.
15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

I don't understand why people are so worried. Just because the original Dark Souls is a masterpiece does not mean that any attempts to improve upon it will ruin the franchise forever.Timstuff

They seem to be overhauling the things that we think make it great.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 campzor
"morality system" sounds awful already
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Hope this series doesn't get casualized. I would not be happy if that happened

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#125 theSADmafioso
Member since 2008 • 482 Posts

Cautiously optimistic. Some of that sounds pretty good, like updated graphics and return to servers. I really hope they don't mess up the structure though with these changes.

The story, for example, could still work with a more clear cut story. A relation between your character and another that develops in the front, with the backstory still left obscured, would work well in my opinon.

Also some of the areas in Dark Souls are admittedly stupid to find, like if you didn't know to attack that invisible wall in Blight town, and then the invisible wall behind that invisible wall, then you could miss a huge chunk of game and the dragon covenant. I would prefer a convoluted but rewarding puzzle or item collection that leads you to hidden areas, as opposed to just dumb luck or hoping other players make notes for you. In other words, discovery should be more like Painted World and less like Ash Lake.

Vaasman

This is what worries me because I disagree with you. This is one of the main reasons I love this game, that on my seventh playthrough I still find new secrets in the game. When did it become a law that you must experienceevery single aspect of a game on your first playthrough? For the record I was one of these fools that missed Ash Lake on mu initial playthrough and the joy of discovoring it in my second was amazing; a whole new area!!! This is the brilliance of the Souls games design and other more old school games such a Super Mario for example.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Morality system? Really? Ugh, brilliant, just what we need.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

theSADmafioso

This is what worries me because I disagree with you. This is one of the main reasons I love this game, that on my seventh playthrough I still find new secrets in the game. When did it become a law that you must experienceevery single aspect of a game on your first playthrough? For the record I was one of these fools that missed Ash Lake on mu initial playthrough and the joy of discovoring it in my second was amazing; a whole new area!!! This is the brilliance of the Souls games design and other more old school games such a Super Mario for example.

It's only brilliant if I can look back on it and see the hints sprinkled around that there was extra content. If I hear about secrets after the fact, I as a player should be going "Wow that was really clever how they hid that, I'll have to try to find that on my second playthrough," not "oh come on how would I ever have known to do that? Are they expecting me to prod every single wall?"

You should feel like the hidden content was simply something you didn't look carefully enough for, you shouldn't ever feel like you were simply cheated out of secret content by poor luck or a lack of extreme meticulousness.

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#129 theSADmafioso
Member since 2008 • 482 Posts

[QUOTE="theSADmafioso"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Vaasman

It's only brilliant if I can look back on it and see the hints sprinkled around that there was extra content. If I hear about secrets after the fact, I as a player should be going "Wow that was really clever how they hid that, I'll have to try to find that on my second playthrough," not "oh come on how would I ever have known to do that? Are they expecting me to prod every single wall?"

You should feel like the hidden content was simply something you didn't look carefully enough for, you shouldn't ever feel like you were simply cheated out of secret content by poor luck or a lack of extreme meticulousness.

Like I said, I disagree with you. Games didn't show me secrets in the old NES era, because that it the whole point that the Souls games try to recreate; the school ground discussions on how to find the secret stuff. That is the whole purpose why the game has an official Wikipage and why that wall that you mentioned is easily discovered if another player has placed a message there that other players have rated up. The first thing you need to accept about both Souls games is that they don't care that you want to find everything, you have to work and study to get the rewards. This is not only brilliant design in this day and age (used to be common) but it is also why the two Souls games thus far are something of gaming counter culture this gen and worth keeping around. It's okay that you may not like it but there are tons of games that suit you better, but it is not okay to expect every game to change to your desires. I for example hate Assassin's Creed but it's not my place to say those games should change into a Souls game. The diversity is something to be cheerished when it comes to games.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 campzor

[QUOTE="campzor"]"morality system" sounds awful alreadyTimstuff

Maybe they plan on finally using a 9-tile morality grid instead of the retarded "good and evil" binary that almost every RPG video game has. Dungeons and Dragons has a morality system, but it actually works because it's the 9-tile morality grid. Here is a good image to explain how a morality grid works.

NI1Tn.jpg

If From Software bases their morality system on the grid model instead of the tried and failed morality binary (or "borality" as it should be called), it could be a huge innovation that fixes one of the genre's more problematic artifacts. Most developers don't bother with a real RPG morality system because they think it's too complicated for a video game, but it's possible that From Software is more ambitious than that.

well, this could work. But souls franchise doesnt seem to be the best franchise to test this out on. It needs to be tested in a game where the protagonist/antagonist have a strong presence in the story
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

Looks like another series about to be ruined, I really hope not though

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
I'm a bit worried..
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

• Dynamic lighting
  • huge graphical leap ready for next gen
  • Edge says PC version it's on par with the fidelity of Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313
  • bigger team working on the game

Thefatness16

These make me happy

• The decision was made by From Soft and Namco for him to step aside.
  • The reason given is for the I.P to evolve it needs fresh blood
  • Story will be more clear
  • morality system
  • Early parts are restricted, so it won't be too hard. After a ceartain time, you'll expierence the true Dark Souls

Thefatness16

These make me cry

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Early parts shouldn't be restricted. I liked how you were given freedom to explore, even if it was unwise. Plus you could beat the game doing different pathways, and compeltely ignoring area if you wanted. I like that freedom. Some people went to the catacombs first. Others skipped portions of undeadburg. And some took the forest to get to the first bell.. It was cool.
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 ReadingRainbow4

It's pretty much been all but yelled at us that Miyazaki has been pushed away from further development of this series.

MY hype is pretty much non-existent at this point. It really sounds like they are trying to make this into an entirely different game, and a much kinder and soft experience for all the whining little girls that couldn't figure **** out on their own.

I don't get it, I really don't. This is why genre's exist isn't? So we can have different experiences for different player bases.

you Bamco.

Really don't care if this post offends anyone either. This is just how I feel at the moment

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"][QUOTE="themyth01"] Not really , I don't think any hardcore DS player cares much about graphics. The greatest graphics wouldn't anything if the gameplay wasn't there. GD1551

I love graphics, but dark souls always looked pretty decent in that regard for me, they had some truly great art design in dark souls as well as demon souls. I just hope the new direction they are supposedly taking with the visuals doesn't screw over the gameplay.

I really cannot see how graphics can screw up gameplay in anything unless it has some really obnoxious effects...

focusing on 512mb all on graphics you end up with corridor shooters,
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 ReadingRainbow4
[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"] I love graphics, but dark souls always looked pretty decent in that regard for me, they had some truly great art design in dark souls as well as demon souls. I just hope the new direction they are supposedly taking with the visuals doesn't screw over the gameplay.savagetwinkie

focusing on 512mb all on graphics you end up with corridor shooters,

That too, these consoles are weak as hell.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts
Someone make a petition for them not to include a morality system.
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 ReadingRainbow4
Someone make a petition for them not to include a morality system.Riadon2
This goes beyond a morality system, they outright said they want to change the direction of the game.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]Someone make a petition for them not to include a morality system.ReadingRainbow4
This goes beyond a morality system, they outright said they want to change the direction of the game.

One step at a time lol.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Someone make a petition for them not to include a morality system.Riadon2

I think the morality system may be along the lines of the World Tendency from Demon's Souls.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]Someone make a petition for them not to include a morality system.BPoole96

I think the morality system may be along the lines of the World Tendency from Demon's Souls.

I hated that.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]Someone make a petition for them not to include a morality system.BPoole96

I wouldn't object strongly to a very subtle morality system, but if it is anything like Mass Effect or Fable then I will be pissed.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="theSADmafioso"]

theSADmafioso

Like I said, I disagree with you. Games didn't show me secrets in the old NES era, because that it the whole point that the Souls games try to recreate; the school ground discussions on how to find the secret stuff. That is the whole purpose why the game has an official Wikipage and why that wall that you mentioned is easily discovered if another player has placed a message there that other players have rated up. The first thing you need to accept about both Souls games is that they don't care that you want to find everything, you have to work and study to get the rewards. This is not only brilliant design in this day and age (used to be common) but it is also why the two Souls games thus far are something of gaming counter culture this gen and worth keeping around. It's okay that you may not like it but there are tons of games that suit you better, but it is not okay to expect every game to change to your desires. I for example hate Assassin's Creed but it's not my place to say those games should change into a Souls game. The diversity is something to be cheerished when it comes to games.

also, it has the message system, discovering secrets is a community thing, if they take that away by telling players with some stupid clue(lets face it, games usually make it stupidly obvious now adays...) you loose any sense of real discovery. I forsee - golden arrow/trail pointing players to where they need to go - items and upgrades much easier to find, no sense of discovery - hidden secrets with stupidly obvious hiding mechanisms so they aren't really "hidden" - Capture the flag - no more invading random players, it will be challenging so now the victom doesn't have to worry about enemies, and won't loose progress - cliche'd story and all the details up front with no mystery - checkpoints
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Riadon2

[QUOTE="theSADmafioso"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]It's only brilliant if I can look back on it and see the hints sprinkled around that there was extra content. If I hear about secrets after the fact, I as a player should be going "Wow that was really clever how they hid that, I'll have to try to find that on my second playthrough," not "oh come on how would I ever have known to do that? Are they expecting me to prod every single wall?"

savagetwinkie

also, it has the message system, discovering secrets is a community thing, if they take that away by telling players with some stupid clue(lets face it, games usually make it stupidly obvious now adays...) you loose any sense of real discovery. I forsee - golden arrow/trail pointing players to where they need to go - items and upgrades much easier to find, no sense of discovery - hidden secrets with stupidly obvious hiding mechanisms so they aren't really "hidden" - Capture the flag - no more invading random players, it will be challenging so now the victom doesn't have to worry about enemies, and won't loose progress - cliche'd story and all the details up front with no mystery - checkpoints

All of those would piss me off, with the exception of a checkpoint just before a boss battle. Running halfway across the map through countless hordes of enemies just to die in a few seconds to the boss and repeat the process gets annoying quick.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Sounds like this game is being Windowized. PC gamers couldn't handle the complexity of the first game so it is being dumbed down to fit their needs. There goes my hype for the game.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Riadon2

Sounds like this game is being Windowized. PC gamers couldn't handle the complexity of the first game so it is being dumbed down to fit their needs. There goes my hype for the game.

RyanShazam

notsure.jpg

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

Sounds great, can't wait.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#149 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

• Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
  • The decision was made by From Soft and Namco for him to step aside.
  • The reason given is for the I.P to evolve it needs fresh blood
  • New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
  • Early parts are restricted, so it won't be too hard. After a ceartain time, you'll expierence the true Dark Souls

Rocker6

These 5 sound worrisome, and may bring plenty of changes that won't sit well with the "franchise's" fanbase...

A game like Dark Souls caters to its own niche, a very specific group of gamers, as indicated by the sales. It would be very difficult to market this to the "mainstream audiences", and if they try it while abandoning the original fanbase, there's a good chance things won't end well, as they might bring a product no one cares about...

Gotta please the investors.
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#150 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

I'll wait until I actually see footage of the game before deciding if any of this will be good or bad.