Dark Souls II Edge Info

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

I knew that when Dark Souls was ported to PC the sequel would be dumbed down :(. Yet another franchise destroyed by the Farmville-crowd.Sushiglutton

2376030_o.gif

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

I'm going to remain optimistic.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I'm really hoping they don't tack on one of Bioware's terrible morality systems and call it a day, if it ain't broke don't fix it and all that.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Already confirmed for 360, PS3, PC. The ten minute demo was played on a very high end gaming laptop.

Maybe it is though.

Drasonak

So it is a PC-lead developed game? Good news.

Lol, I love how PC gamers think this is a game for them, like they have a monopoly on RPGs. They never even got Demon's Souls, and it took them nearly a full year to get Dark Souls. :lol: And despite the Japanese hating the PC, which makes up most of their fanbase, they think... they think... oh Jesus. ****ing laugh my mother***ing ass off, ****. You guys don't have very many other non-MMO RPGs; you just like to believe you do. It's clearly a cross-generational title (2014 release date, seriously), but they can't reveal it on the 720 or PS4 just yet because they haven't been revealed.

90ap8h.pngTha f*ck is wrong with you?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Shall we grab the torches and pitchforks now, and save ourselves the disappointment?

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I love how everyone is jumping to conclusions. Lets wait and see. Maybe it'll turn out just the way we want it with some tweaked combat and some minor differences that ease newer players into the difficulty curve a bit more.Animal-Mother

With how gaming has been treated this generation, you can't blame people for jumping to these conclusions.

Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

The only downside to the souls series for me was the graphics. If the graphics are close to the trailer they showed then DAMN.

Just please dont change the combat. Its already perfect.

Make the story more clear and we have our game of the gen.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Riadon2

The only downside to the souls series for me was the graphics. If the graphics are close to the trailer they showed then DAMN.

Just please dont change the combat. Its already perfect.

Make the story more clear and we have our game of the gen.

Omega-316

The combat could be improved.

Mostly there should be better hit detection and a larger difference between armour types.

New attacks and techniques could be added, further increasing the depth of the combat.

Dismemberment could also be added, which would increase the combat gratification and realism.

Just some examples.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

Game is dumbed down. Haha. That's what happen when you cater to casual PC gamers.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Considering edge forced the Skyrim comment, the developers never even mentioned wanting to be like skyrim. I'm not believing any of this until I see it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#61 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

These all sound like good changes to me. DS 1 was so obtuse for the first couple hours, without walkthroughs they would have been downright off-putting.

I hope it has proper kb/m controls this time so we don't have to grapple with the awful lock on system.

Its a bit funny that some people are complaining about these changes, I guess they just like feeling hardcore playing a game that is poorly explained with glitchy combat that makes it more difficult than it should be.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ReadingRainbow4

These all sound like good changes to me. DS 1 was so obtuse for the first couple hours, without walkthroughs they would have been downright off-putting.

I hope it has proper kb/m controls this time so we don't have to grapple with the awful lock on system.

Its a bit funny that some people are complaining about these changes, I guess they just like feeling hardcore playing a game that is poorly explained with glitchy combat that makes it more difficult than it should be.

with_teeth26
Spoken like someone who has never played either game.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

• Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
  • The decision was made by From Soft and Namco for him to step aside.
  • The reason given is for the I.P to evolve it needs fresh blood
  • New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
  • Early parts are restricted, so it won't be too hard. After a ceartain time, you'll expierence the true Dark Souls

Rocker6

These 5 sound worrisome, and may bring plenty of changes that won't sit well with the "franchise's" fanbase...

A game like Dark Souls caters to its own niche, a very specific group of gamers, as indicated by the sales. It would be very difficult to market this to the "mainstream audiences", and if they try it while abandoning the original fanbase, there's a good chance things won't end well, as they might bring a product no one cares about...

it's not even a niche, didn't it sell over a million? Thats actually a pretty good fan base.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Riadon2

[QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

ReadingRainbow4

I see where he is coming from. When I first started playing Dark Souls, I went straight to New Londo Ruins because it was the most obvious route and proceeded to die for 5 hours straight before reaching the Four Kings and being completely pissed off (no ring). Having heard that Dark Souls was a very challenging game, I didn't really feel that I was even going the wrong way until I gave up and searched online for a solution.

The Kb/m controls were terrible, but I played with a PS3 controller so I don't care.

I agree and I like the cryptic approach that was used after actually learning the game, though.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

If it still has good combat and big things for me to kill, as well as visually impressive gear to equip I see no issues with any changes.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"][QUOTE="with_teeth26"]

Riadon2

I see where he is coming from. When I first started playing Dark Souls, I went straight to New Londo Ruins because it was the most obvious route and proceeded to die for 5 hours straight before reaching the Four Kings and being completely obliterated. Having heard that Dark Souls was a very challenging game, I didn't really feel that I was even going the wrong way until I gave up and searched online for a solution.

The Kb/m controls were terrible, but I played with a PS3 controller so I don't care.

I agree and I like the cryptic approach that was used after actually learning the game, though.

I went down there at first also, but once I saw how powerful the ghosts were and with really no weapon early on to do anything I headed up to undead burg. yeah the mouse controls are **** but this games really meant to be played with a controller IMO, playing with a M/KB just feels so wrong.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="game_masta14"]Why? Just why? How could they do this to my favorite new IP of this gen? This is disrespectful to all the fans of the games and gaming in general.game_masta14
I love how everyone is jumping to conclusions. Lets wait and see. Maybe it'll turn out just the way we want it with some tweaked combat and some minor differences that ease newer players into the difficulty curve a bit more.

I'm really doubting it. This is looking to be another case of trying to capture an audience of a competing franchise or changing up the game so you can get the casual audience and piss off your current one. I'm already losing hope for this game and I pray Miyazaki's new game is Demon's Souls 2.

Really doubting it when all we've seen is a trailer :roll:
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 savagetwinkie

I think this game is going to take a nose dive, they want ot take the game into a new fresher direction, but it's the only game one the market that is really headed in a fresh direction. The combat isn't even what I'd consider the best part, once you learn the patterns it's pretty routine but still, learning is what makes it rewarding. That goes for the exploration too, its one of the best parts of this with not actually telling you what to look for. Yes it points you in a particular direction, then lets go of the leash.

If you look at it like what dark souls does great, it's engaging the player in eploration, discovery, and learning. The more they try to show your, the less you'll be able to discover for yourself, The more they try to explain to you, the less you'll be able to learn on your own.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"] Spoken like someone who has never played either game.ReadingRainbow4

I see where he is coming from. When I first started playing Dark Souls, I went straight to New Londo Ruins because it was the most obvious route and proceeded to die for 5 hours straight before reaching the Four Kings and being completely obliterated. Having heard that Dark Souls was a very challenging game, I didn't really feel that I was even going the wrong way until I gave up and searched online for a solution.

I went down there at first also, but once I saw how powerful the ghosts were and with really no weapon early on to do anything I headed up to undead burg. yeah the mouse controls are **** but this games really meant to be played with a controller IMO, playing with a M/KB just feels so wrong.

Lol. I went down there and I didn't think the individual ghosts were too hard to kill, but the first ambush right after you enter the main building across the bridge was messing me up. I just thought I was being a nub, and careful strategy made it possible for me to advance.

At least I was able to obliterate everything up to Sen's Fortress with no trouble after that nightmare, though:P

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

• Miyazaki says straight forwardly he won't be involved but will be a supervisor
  • New director wants to make the covenants and other areas that were difficult to adapt to more accessible
  • Early parts are restricted, so it won't be too hard. After a ceartain time, you'll expierence the true Dark Souls

Rocker6

These 5 sound worrisome, and may bring plenty of changes that won't sit well with the "franchise's" fanbase...

A game like Dark Souls caters to its own niche, a very specific group of gamers, as indicated by the sales. It would be very difficult to market this to the "mainstream audiences", and if they try it while abandoning the original fanbase, there's a good chance things won't end well, as they might bring a product no one cares about...

Yes, because invisible walls and hidden content are awesome. Especially when the only way to access those areas is to have a faq by you at all times. The original Dark Souls game had tons of content, but the fact that like 20% of it was inaccessible without reading a forum is crazy.

I don't see how putting players on a set path in the early parts of the game is a bad thing. I thought that was bad design in the original Dark Souls. The early game should help players learn how to play the game, its not suppose to turn them off.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GD1551

Lol. I went down there and I didn't think the individual ghosts were too hard to kill, but the first ambush right after you enter the main building across the bridge was messing me up. I just thought I was being a nub, and careful strategy made it possible for me to advance.

At least I was able to obliterate everything up to Sen's Fortress with no trouble after that nightmare, though:P

Riadon2

I'm guessing you were using magic? Can't hit the ghosts at the start.

Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

GD1551

There are corpses before the ghosts that have the curse item on them. I was unlucky enough to get consistent enough drops from the ghosts, so I wasn't discouraged enough to leave. My persistence sometimes hurts.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

JangoWuzHere

Yes, because invisible walls and hidden content are awesome. Especially when the only way to access those areas is to have a faq by you at all times. The original Dark Souls game had tons of content, but the fact that like 20% of it was inaccessible without reading a forum is crazy.

I don't see how putting players on a set path in the early parts of the game is a bad thing. I thought that was bad design in the original Dark Souls. The early game should help players learn how to play the game, its not suppose to turn them off.

I think its the exact opposite, I liked the way dark souls started, it set expectations right away, after a half hour of playing I knew I'd have to actually pay attention and learn what to do, find things, and continue to learn what to do. You don't need a faq to play this game unless you're completely unable to pay attention and try to understand things, or try new ways to approach a challenge. The only place i think would have been hard to find is the lake under he swamp, which i found putting my ps3 controller down and accidently hitting hte trigger to do the attack... But the game definitly expects you to figure things out, and you figure that out right away.
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Riadon2

There are corpses before the ghosts that have the curse item on them. I was unlucky enough to get consistent enough drops from the ghosts, so I wasn't discouraged enough to leave. My persistence sometimes hurts.

If you made it to the 4 kings I'd say so, lol. You must have been down there for hours.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Riadon2

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

JangoWuzHere

I'm assuming that you are talking about the new content? I was able to find everything else in the game on my own without too much trouble.

There are hidden covenants and such, but those aren't essential content as much as a reward for being indepth.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#77 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"] Spoken like someone who has never played either game.ReadingRainbow4

I played with a PS3 controller after realizing how bad it was with a kb/m, but I really disliked the lockon system and how it forced you to face the enemy you were locked on to.

Games like Mount & Blade or Chivalry: medieval warfare have similar combat in but work brilliantly with a keyboard and mouse, only lazyness and incompetence can explain the terrible controls in DS using them.

I played until the second bell and got bored of how slow things were progressing and the amount of backtracking you do so I stopped, zero desire to go back.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="Riadon2"]

Riadon2

Oh yeah, I had no idea what those curses did first time around and after the ghost was pretty much killing me in two to three hits I just thought to myself "this can't be the right way" and ended up finding the burg, which just happens to be the least obvious path of them all :|

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

Everything sounds like just what I'd expect from the next game in the souls series. Demon's souls was great, but also felt like a small experiment with some ideas, dark souls continued with what made demon's souls great, and it got rid of the things that didn't work well with demon's souls.

But some things were too cryptic in dark souls and too easy to miss and ignore. Th changes in Dark souls 2 sounds like a great step towards evolving the series, rather than rehash the same thing again. I'm fine with the changes, so long as the combat remains tense, brutal, tactical and satisfying and the game world interesting to explore and atmospheric to boot.

Hype is still strong.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

I will wait for further footage of it to decide on it. It sounds like it will be more straightforward but not necessarily bad, that remains to be seen. But the graphical thing surprised me, hard to believe the game being close to that CG.

The straightforwardness sounds bad now but the part that worries me most is the morality system. That never ever works in a game, ever. There better not be like a bar and if it's full of good then I get the good ending, that sh!t sucks. DS1 had a great moral system by just letting you do what you wanted, you could kill NPCs if you liked and if it made you feel bad then there was your morality system. Having it tied to gameplay and story arcs would be bad.

If they're not careful this attempt at bringing the game to a broader audience could ruin the franchise and have the opposite effect

seanmcloughlin

they didn't say what the morality system would be, and what would be its effects on story (likely none). like i said, both previous souls game had a morality system of sorts, demon's being more straightforward about it. if you ignore the multiplayer side of dark souls, the "morality system" can easily go unnoticed, because you wouldn't be invaded, or invading other players, or hunting down players that invade other players (or that kill specific NPCs).

Yeah but they never promoted the morality system before as a selling point. It was just there and never affected the game as such, just the player. This sounds like it will be a Mass Effect type of morality system, which I know is jumping to conclusions but I hope not.

they just brought up "morality system", and you somehow act as if they've practically confirmed a black and white choice system. maybe one of the things they're improving is the effects of player and world tendency in the world itself, which would be noteworthy.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

the only thing souls series always needed is graphics and if it has star wars 1313 graphics, holy sh*t.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

they just brought up "morality system", and you somehow act as if they've practically confirmed a black and white choice system. maybe one of the things they're improving is the effects of player and world tendency in the world itself, which would be noteworthy.BrunoBRS

I am jumping the gun a little, but I just don't want them to fvck this game up.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Good old SW, this is what I come here for, news ahead of nearly any site, well done. Anyways I still have hope, since they have a great combat engine and great physics. All they have to do is not mess too much with their gameplay mechanics and the game can be great. But they could definitely destroy this great franchise, good thing Dark Souls will still be around though.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
Morality system:? Do not want.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#85 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

One thing Shibuya wants to enhance is the action in the game. He feels that he can contribute because of his experience working on action games in the past.OP

The accessibility comments didn't phase me, but this part is disturbing. He seems to imply that there's something wrong with the action (which I assume means the combat?) The nature of the combat is what everything else rests on.

If they try to make it an action game with combos, they will have f*cked up.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 themyth01

the only thing souls series always needed is graphics and if it has star wars 1313 graphics, holy sh*t.

silversix_
Not really , I don't think any hardcore DS player cares much about graphics. The greatest graphics wouldn't anything if the gameplay wasn't there.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#87 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
[QUOTE="gamefan67"]Morality system:? Do not want.

To me that immediately suggested a PvP morality system. As in, you'll have a different experience as a griefer.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 themyth01
Still I"m surprised they are so far off from release date, it seems to odd to announce it so soon when Dark Souls was announced much closer to release date. They also have to keep in mind that this game sells far more in the west than in Japan, it's one of those rare Japanese games. So hopefully they don't mess too much with the way things are.
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ReadingRainbow4
[QUOTE="silversix_"]

themyth01
Not really , I don't think any hardcore DS player cares much about graphics. The greatest graphics wouldn't anything if the gameplay wasn't there.

I love graphics, but dark souls always looked pretty decent in that regard for me, they had some truly great art design in dark souls as well as demon souls. I just hope the new direction they are supposedly taking with the visuals doesn't screw over the gameplay.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="gamefan67"]Morality system:? Do not want.

To me that immediately suggested a PvP morality system. As in, you'll have a different experience as a griefer.

I'm hoping for something substantial, but I cant shake the feeling that we'll get something akin to the morality systems in Mass Effect and Infamous.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 GD1551

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="silversix_"]

ReadingRainbow4

I love graphics, but dark souls always looked pretty decent in that regard for me, they had some truly great art design in dark souls as well as demon souls. I just hope the new direction they are supposedly taking with the visuals doesn't screw over the gameplay.

I really cannot see how graphics can screw up gameplay in anything unless it has some really obnoxious effects...

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
2014 Release dateThefatness16
What the fudge? They may as well release it on the next generation of consoles then? No? :|
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ReadingRainbow4

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"][QUOTE="themyth01"] Not really , I don't think any hardcore DS player cares much about graphics. The greatest graphics wouldn't anything if the gameplay wasn't there. GD1551

I really cannot see how graphics can screw up gameplay in anything unless it has some really obnoxious effects...

I meant more resources being put into how a game looks than how it plays.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]2014 Release dateToScA-
What the fudge? They may as well release it on the next generation of consoles then? No? :|

It's likely releasing in 2014, but there's a small chance it could release in 2013. Still if it was a 2014 release, it'd probably be winter to spring target.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ReadingRainbow4

this generation has gone on more than long enough, by all that's right if this is a 2014 release they should just hold it off for next gen, it's got to be right around the corner.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"] I love graphics, but dark souls always looked pretty decent in that regard for me, they had some truly great art design in dark souls as well as demon souls. I just hope the new direction they are supposedly taking with the visuals doesn't screw over the gameplay.ReadingRainbow4

I meant more resources being put into how a game looks than how it plays.

They have a large team, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
hopefully they scrap the 360 version and PC so we get the full community together
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 ReadingRainbow4
hopefully they scrap the 360 version and PC so we get the full community togetherPinnacleGamingP
Full cross platform play would be the better option.
Avatar image for PinnacleGamingP
PinnacleGamingP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 PinnacleGamingP
Member since 2012 • 5120 Posts
[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"]hopefully they scrap the 360 version and PC so we get the full community togetherReadingRainbow4

No.
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

It's likely releasing in 2014, but there's a small chance it could release in 2013. Still if it was a 2014 release, it'd probably be winter to spring target.

Thefatness16

Guess they want to maximize profits as well.

[QUOTE="PinnacleGamingP"]hopefully they scrap the 360 version and PC so we get the full community togetherReadingRainbow4

That's disgusting! PCs and consoles should not mix.