Can I connect my Nintendo DS Lite to the internet using an ad hoc network?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

annihilator127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 annihilator127
Member since 2011 • 99 Posts

Creating an ad hoc(computer-to-computer) network is a feature I recently found in Windows 7. I don't know if it works with another laptop yet but when I tried to connect my DS it found the network but then gave me a 51300 error code. Does this mean it just won't work and I should try and get a USB connector instead?

(Yes I did select WEP for the security type.)

demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

Creating an ad hoc(computer-to-computer) network is a feature I recently found in Windows 7. I don't know if it works with another laptop yet but when I tried to connect my DS it found the network but then gave me a 51300 error code. Does this mean it just won't work and I should try and get a USB connector instead?

(Yes I did select WEP for the security type.)

annihilator127

Have you read the error description on Nintendo?

for WEP encryption use no less than 8 or no more than 13 character password without spaces and other fanacy signs (just letters and numbers) for eg. set the password as N1ntend0. If that won't help than try with unprotected access.

demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 demon-zer0

for WEP encryption use no less than 8 or no more than 13 character password without spaces and other fanacy signs (just letters and numbers) for eg. set the password as N1ntend0. If that won't help than try with unprotected access.

demon-zer0

Sorry for misleading - the password must be 5 or 13 Ascii or 10 or 26 HEX characters. Ascii are standard keyboard signs (letters and numbers).

Your case sounded interesting to me, so I try for myself to connect my DS via laptop to the internet and yup - I have the same error. It looks like the DS can't recognize ad hoc computer as an compatible access point...

And I am sorry to tell you this, but you can't connect DS to the internet via ad hoc - Link

In stead of buying a USB Connector - buy a router. The price is quite similar and using a router you can expand your network possibilities.

annihilator127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 annihilator127
Member since 2011 • 99 Posts

It still didn't work with no password.

I find it interesting the difference in error messages between older and newer DS Wi-Fi setup. In newer games like Dragon Quest IX it refers me to support.nintendo.com, but in older games like Mario Kart DS it refers me to www.nintendowifi.com, which redirects to nintendo.com.

BTW, spaces and other fancy symbols are still ASCII characters.

demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 demon-zer0

BTW, spaces and other fancy symbols are still ASCII characters.

annihilator127

yeah, even WIN1250 or ISO-8859-1 are ascii but some routers on WEP encryption do not recognize space bar in password as a character and will cause troubles ;)