3DS circle pad wear and tear issues, anyone else?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

I've noticed that in the last few months my cirlce pad has taken quite a beating. a lot of frantic ssf4 combo entering as left a good number of thumb nail imprints and the center of the pad is a little rubbed down already.

i fear at this rate i'll be down by the plastic by next year. has nintendo ever said theres a way to replace them? do they snap off or anything? or would i have to mail it into nintendo for repairs once the pad gets wore down to the nub?

en-bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 en-bit
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts

I think it's normal for a stick/pad to get loose the first months, and then it will be like that as a standard. If your pad is extremely loose you should call Nintendo.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 REforever101

I think it's normal for a stick/pad to get loose the first months, and then it will be like that as a standard. If your pad is extremely loose you should call Nintendo.

en-bit
i have no issues with how loose it is, only with the wear on the rubber of the pad
en-bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 en-bit
Member since 2011 • 100 Posts

[QUOTE="en-bit"]

REforever101

i have no issues with how loose it is, only with the wear on the rubber of the pad

Huh, then I think you should call Nintendo. My slide pad is the same as when I got it.

Hrothgarfunkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hrothgarfunkel
Member since 2009 • 248 Posts

[QUOTE="REforever101"][QUOTE="en-bit"]

en-bit

Huh, then I think you should call Nintendo. My slide pad is the same as when I got it.

Mine is still in good shape, I sure don't have fingernail imprints in it!

Maybe you are slightly on the aggressive side, have you damaged other controlers?

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 The-Longshot
Member since 2006 • 1321 Posts

Honestly thats one of the things that has kept me from purchasing street fighter 3d as of yet. I dont think the 3ds can handle the command input pounding for a game like that. I know I dont want to be beating combos on my delicate a** 3ds even though I absolutely LOVE street fighter. My argument is that I can always wait to play some solid matches on console rather then trash my brand new 3ds buttons for some quick portable arse whoopins.

I would say if it gets much worse give Nintendo a call and ask for a replacement or somethin, think i might have to call them soon myself for some hinge repair its extremely loose/shaky and I have treated the thing like a faberge egg!! It basically came out of the box that way. I also have the problem of lines on the top screen from rubbing with the bottom screen, thank Thor for screen protectors but it seems like it may eventually gouge the spot where the lines are occurring,.... :x

WeskerTeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 WeskerTeam
Member since 2010 • 1827 Posts

I don't know how somebody could have nail indentations on their thumb-stick. Cut your nails or start using the thumb-stick properly. Also, I have and play ssf4 3D alot and my 3DS is fine.

diljaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 diljaa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Mine has some fingernail markings as well. But I haven't really used much for the games I have. I guess we'll have to see how it wears down as time goes by.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
No such issues here, but then again when playing fighters (I own SF4 and DoA)I use the d-pad instead of the c-pad. @Longshot- 'ware those lines- I was late in getting a screen protector so now I have permanent scratches on my top screen from the raised area the bottom screen is set on. It's saddening, but it doesn't get too much in the way of the 3D.
REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 REforever101
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]No such issues here, but then again when playing fighters (I own SF4 and DoA)I use the d-pad instead of the c-pad. @Longshot- 'ware those lines- I was late in getting a screen protector so now I have permanent scratches on my top screen from the raised area the bottom screen is set on. It's saddening, but it doesn't get too much in the way of the 3D.

wait the screen thing can happen? that seems like a really annoying design flaw
helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts
ive had my 3ds since beginning of april. my circle pad is fine. it's of course a little looser than it was when it first got it. but my circle pad was really stiff when i first got so it's a good thing.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Used it only with GTA so it's practically like new. DoA felt so much better with the d-pad so I've used a lot of that instead. We'll see what Oot will do for the c-pad though...

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
Playing a fighter with an analog stick/circle pad just seems crazy to me.. My D-pad has taken quite a beating so far though, i've probably put about 25 or so hours into DOA so far and its holding up just fine, as good as the day i bought it.. I've never wrecked a controller or handheld though (other than completely accidental) so I don't know.. I don't even know how with insane usage time you could.. Frankly if you've worn through the rubber already you need to take better care of your 3DS or re-evaluate how rough you're using it.
Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
I really think Nintendo should have made the circle pad removable and replaceable with space pads. I haven't had any problems with mine (I've only had my 3DS for a few days), but I think it would have made loads of sense to have it replaceable. But my two biggest problems with the 3DS hardware are the hinge and the d pad. The hinge just feels loose and shaky. I hate it. I feel like any sudden movement might break it. And the d pad just feels really cheap to me. It works fine and all, but it just feels loose and broken.
janardan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 janardan123
Member since 2011 • 80 Posts

Imo, everything eventually wears out with time and play. Maybe nintendo will have extra warranty for those like the xbox has for the red ring of death. For the grinding noise make sure you don't eat and play food will get stuck in there like computer keyboards.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 buft
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts
the rubber seems way to soft, mine has a permanent thumbprint in it like it has been melted in. seems wierd considering im not johnny blaze or anything
The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 The-Longshot

wait the screen thing can happen? that seems like a really annoying design flaw REforever101

It is an extremely annoying design flaw, but even more annoying is the extremely loose hinge!! :x

Playing a fighter with an analog stick/circle pad just seems crazy to me.. PoisoN_Facecam0

When you play with characters like Zangief being able to use a rotational stick makes a lot more sense and can mean the difference between a win and loss almost every round. Personally I dont use him frequently but I do have a friend who is unstoppable when playing as him on the 3ds version.

JamTKD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 JamTKD
Member since 2011 • 156 Posts
...nail prints? You should be using the pad of your thumb. I don't understand how your nails would even slightly be touching it. I tried that before and found it impossible to play.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Honestly thats one of the things that has kept me from purchasing street fighter 3d as of yet. I dont think the 3ds can handle the command input pounding for a game like that. I know I dont want to be beating combos on my delicate a** 3ds even though I absolutely LOVE street fighter. My argument is that I can always wait to play some solid matches on console rather then trash my brand new 3ds buttons for some quick portable arse whoopins.

The-Longshot

You use an analog stick (or slide pad) for Street Fighter? That seems wrong, wouldn't you use the D-Pad? And the D-Pad definitely can handle any speed of inputs.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Longshot"]

trugs26

You use an analog stick (or slide pad) for Street Fighter? That seems wrong, wouldn't you use the D-Pad? And the D-Pad definitely can handle any speed of inputs.

The 3DS Dpad is garbage for a game like Street Fighter IV. The pad is difficult to detect diagonals and is somewhat uncomfortable. The best way to play it is to use the circle pad and touch screen input. It has worked for me.
trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="The-Longshot"]

soulreaper-4

The 3DS Dpad is garbage for a game like Street Fighter IV. The pad is difficult to detect diagonals and is somewhat uncomfortable. The best way to play it is to use the circle pad and touch screen input. It has worked for me.

Circle Pad is too slow compared to the D Pad. You get used to playing with the D Pad and getting the diagonals right. If you want to take it to the next level, you should be using the D Pad.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"][QUOTE="trugs26"]

trugs26

Circle Pad is too slow compared to the D Pad. You get used to playing with the D Pad and getting the diagonals right. If you want to take it to the next level, you should be using the D Pad.

I don't know but i find the Circle Pad faster than the DPad even without using the touch screen. Maybe i am used to it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trugs26

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"] The 3DS Dpad is garbage for a game like Street Fighter IV. The pad is difficult to detect diagonals and is somewhat uncomfortable. The best way to play it is to use the circle pad and touch screen input. It has worked for me.soulreaper-4

I don't know but i find the Circle Pad faster than the DPad even without using the touch screen. Maybe i am used to it.

For you definitely, it would be faster because you are used to it. But comparing between two people generally, the D Pad user will be faster. It's simply a physical thing, a button press is faster than a slide. So if you get used to the D Pad, you yourself will be faster than your previous self (assuming you also get used to the D Pad).

The-Longshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 The-Longshot

[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"]

[QUOTE="trugs26"]

trugs26

For you definitely, it would be faster because you are used to it. But comparing between two people generally, the D Pad user will be faster. It's simply a physical thing, a button press is faster than a slide. So if you get used to the D Pad, you yourself will be faster than your previous self (assuming you also get used to the D Pad).

Again though your completely glossing over how useful it can be for characters like Zangeif, and riddle me this batman, if the d-pad is so great why does every serious player perfer a stick at the Arcades and Tournaments?????

Sathnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sathnor
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts

I have some finger nail marks on my circle pad, other than that it's fine.

takspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#26 takspeed
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

No mine is normal...the only games I have been mainly playing is ridge racer and blazblue. I use the circle pad for ridge racer [which feels so silky smooth when racing with it :P) but can't really use it on blazblue since it doesn't support it.