Why doesn't Nintendo increase the DS game card size?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Currently the biggest game card for Nintendo DS is 256MB, and a good amount of games are coming out with 128MB of data on cards, like Pokemon.

They originally started the DS using 64MB game cards in 2004, i'm wondering, the DS seems to have a little life left in it (ok a lot of life)

So why not add more memory? Yea i know games are doing fine without it, but why not? making game cards up to 1GB or 2GB shouldn't cost that much. yes, i know one of the great things about the DS is its cheap to develop for, but not everyone would have to use bigger cards, they can still make games on smaller game cards if they want.

But give people like Square Enix when making DQ9 (which is nearing comlpeteion, releases in JP next mnth) and with a big IP name like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, it could be used and show for it with more content in games, etc.

so, why don't they make the games not 256MB at most but 1GB at least? It could help drag a few more years out of the DS platform, not that it needs anymore help but you can never help something like the DS too much. Don't make devs use 1GB cards, let them make a 40MB game and ship a 64MB card. but for the ambitious ones, give me more room

thoughts? i'd like it to happen ( i however don't see it though)

Luigirulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 Luigirulez
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

Yes, they need to increase card size.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darth-pyschosis

i'm so sorry for the double post. i hope you all know it was a glitch in gamespot

i tried posting it but it said error, invalid topic title, so i pressed back on my browser and changed the topic title

can a mod plz only lock one of the two threads? plz?

Shadow_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Shadow_Jr
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts

1GB is too "expensive" o.o

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#5 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts

1GB is too "expensive" o.o

Shadow_Jr
Not anymore. Anyways, I would imagine if a bigger company like Square-Enix came to Nintendo and said "hey, we have this massive DS game in the works but we need a cart with larger memory capacity" then they'd probably make one. My guess is that nobody has had the need for such a thing yet.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#6 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I say, what does it matter? All it will do is most likely run your battery...
intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts
ASH was released in Japan last year as a 2 gigabit card, thats a lot of data right there.
destroyerHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 destroyerHHH
Member since 2004 • 772 Posts
Most games only use 128 MB and Nintendo probably -and rightfully so- feels that there is no need for more than 256 MB. Also, I strongly doubt most games which use the larger cartridge use it to its full capacity.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darth-pyschosis

ASH was released in Japan last year as a 2 gigabit card, thats a lot of data right there.intro94
2 gigabit is 256MB

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darth-pyschosis

I say, what does it matter? All it will do is most likely run your battery...bbkkristian
maybe

but more space for content, and better graphics (perhaps)

Maledizione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Maledizione
Member since 2008 • 896 Posts

Games really don't take up as much memory as you would first think. Since one gig isn't expensive anymore it wouldn't mean anything if they did it like that. It can only go for the better.

Redonkulous_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redonkulous_D
Member since 2008 • 1018 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]I say, what does it matter? All it will do is most likely run your battery...darth-pyschosis

maybe

but more space for content, and better graphics (perhaps)

Didn't Brothers in Arms have good graphics but a dearth of content? Just imagine if another was made for the DSi with VA, more missions, a good story, and good length. It can be done, the DS just needs more space.

Brothers in Arms

intro94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 intro94
Member since 2006 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="intro94"]ASH was released in Japan last year as a 2 gigabit card, thats a lot of data right there.darth-pyschosis

2 gigabit is 256MB

sorry i had it mixed up. DSI can use further benefits of space, as it has twice the proccessing power of a DS and 4 times its memory.So if you give a DSI 1 gigabyte of capacity ,its capable of far better graphics ,or more complex textures, than the original.It doesnt matches the power of a psp but goes closer .