khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#201 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

[QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]For me, even in this generation, outside of RDR, Rockstar has been excellent. Especially GTA. I have over 300 hours of gameplay in Chinatown Wars (PSP and DS versions combined), GTA4, San Andreas, Vice City, Liberty City Stories (somehow) and Vice City Stories and I enjoy playing all of them even today.AcidThunder

300 hours in each game or all combined?

Nope, 300 hundred each, I play GTA like crazy. Can't wait for 5.  

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#202 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

@Maro

Yeah, GTA3 is still fun, though it feels a bit barebones now. Vice City and San Andreas have aged extremely well, those games will never get boring.

And the thing with GTA is, it IS innovative at times. But the best part is that Rockstar actually implements it all pretty well and cohesively.  

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"][QUOTE="khoofia_pika"]For me, even in this generation, outside of RDR, Rockstar has been excellent. Especially GTA. I have over 300 hours of gameplay in Chinatown Wars (PSP and DS versions combined), GTA4, San Andreas, Vice City, Liberty City Stories (somehow) and Vice City Stories and I enjoy playing all of them even today.khoofia_pika

300 hours in each game or all combined?

Nope, 300 hundred each, I play GTA like crazy. Can't wait for 5.  

Focking hell. I don't think I have played 1800 hours, all games I have ever played combined.
Brown9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 Brown9
Member since 2012 • 949 Posts

Focking hell. I don't think I have played 1800 hours, all games I have ever played combined.AcidThunder

Wow. Guess I'm a total loser then.

If I had to guess, I'd say that during my first 20 years of gaming, I played an average of 4 hours daily. So if we do the math...

20 years x 365 days = 7300 days
7300 days x 4 hours per day = 29200 hours

So it's safe to ballpark my total video game play time anywhere from 27000 hours on up.

Yeah, I felt like doing math in my head so I made this post. 

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

@Maro

Yeah, GTA3 is still fun, though it feels a bit barebones now. Vice City and San Andreas have aged extremely well, those games will never get boring.

And the thing with GTA is, it IS innovative at times. But the best part is that Rockstar actually implements it all pretty well and cohesively.  

khoofia_pika

I dunno, GTA:SA was pretty well executed and so was Vice City. But if we look at GTA4, it seemed like they put too much effort in adding pointless, tedious minigames as opposed to good pacing, mission structure or mechanics.

That said, while GTA3 wasnt the first of its kind, it kinda set the bar for the Freeroam games.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Maroxad

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]
Focking hell. I don't think I have played 1800 hours, all games I have ever played combined.Brown9

If I had to guess, I'd say that during my first 20 years of gaming, I played an average of 4 hours daily. So if we do the math...

So it's safe to ballpark my total video game play time anywhere from 27000 hours on up.

Good, now put in some linear algebra and differential equations to that :D 

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]
Focking hell. I don't think I have played 1800 hours, all games I have ever played combined.Brown9

I may have exaggerated a little bit. Now that I think, 1800 hours isn't a lot. I played a lot when I was little. That should count for something.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#208 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="Brown9"]

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]
Focking hell. I don't think I have played 1800 hours, all games I have ever played combined.AcidThunder

I may have exaggerated a little bit. Now that I think, 1800 hours isn't a lot. I played a lot when I was little. That should count for something.

dude, 1000 hours is easy. i got 1000 hours on GW2, and the game isn't even a year old :P
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#209 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Persona 3 Portable.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#210 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Mistake: Portable
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#211 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]F*cking Rockstar in general sucks. khoofia_pika

Shut up champ, GTA is fun :x 

Fun POS.

The only Rockstar game I've played that didn't feel clunky as hell was Max Payne 3. 

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#212 FireSpirit117
Member since 2012 • 1926 Posts
Goddamn you people don't like any games. :P
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Blabadon
Mistake: Portablejg4xchamp
Not sure if Champ doesn't like Persona 3 or lolchamp'shandheldopinions
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 jg4xchamp
 I like Persona 3. Lame ass grind and level design aside the Persona games are pretty legit as far as jrpgs go. The part where one would punish themselves to play that on a handheld? Now that's just some profound hatred for one self.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Blabadon
Oh, so it's lolchamp'shandheldopinion, move along folks, the seals are on the other side of the circus.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#216 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Persona 3 Portable is an incredible game. Blab just has bad taste :P
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#217 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Bioshock is another one. Great game but even after playing only like 5 hours of System Shock 2, it already feels lacking in comparison. Higher score my ass... of course its not entirely fair to judge it next to its other predecessors, but its hard not to.

As a game individually I still think its overrated though with its lazy ass combat, gunplay, and the whole entire voice diary thing gives it an artificial story that is in bits and pieces. Having to piece things together is cool and all, and can make a good story (moreso "experience") as a whole, but its still annoying for some people who don't really care about the hidden or implied story aspects of gaming, no matter how intriguing it could be. Whatever happened to having good old fashioned twists and turns? I would rather not have any heavily modified story pieced by those voice diaries. It just makes the whole "game having a good story" thing seem even less genuine. At least the atmosphere wasn't lacking, which was another big part of it.

My biggest gripe is the combat though mostly.That little rant was something else entirely. :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 jg4xchamp
While the audio log has kind of overstayed its welcome(as it really doesn't fit into a lot of games it shows up in) I much prefer the piece the story together route as oppose to having control taken away for me so the game can run its mouth off. It makes the process as a whole more interactive, and it sells the idea that you get from the game what you want out of it.

Bioshock's a weak game though no doubt. Poor gameplay, bad pacing, and a shitty final third on both a gameplay and narrative level.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts
Oh, so it's lolchamp'shandheldopinion, move along folks, the seals are on the other side of the circus.Blabadon
Not really FES is the best version of the game.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Oh, so it's lolchamp'shandheldopinion, move along folks, the seals are on the other side of the circus.spookykid143

I never said anything about FES.

Not to mention I'd like to give FES a shot, it looks like it has a lot of what P3P gimped actually in it. 

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Oh, so it's lolchamp'shandheldopinion, move along folks, the seals are on the other side of the circus.spookykid143

I am curiuos to why it is the best version.

I havent gotten the game yet, and I want the best version for it. Since it is gonna take a while till SMT4 gets released here, might as well play Persona 3 too. Bloody Wintendo and their region locking.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Blabadon

[QUOTE="spookykid143"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Oh, so it's lolchamp'shandheldopinion, move along folks, the seals are on the other side of the circus.Maroxad

I havent gotten the game yet, and I want the best version for it. Since it is gonna take a while till SMT4 gets released here, might as well play Persona 3 too. Bloody Wintendo and their region locking.

You don't have to use a bloody cursor to move around the world. Conceptually, it sounds cool and time-saving, but it takes away so much from the charm of making a world like Persona does.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Maroxad
[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="spookykid143"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Oh, so it's lolchamp'shandheldopinion, move along folks, the seals are on the other side of the circus.Blabadon

You don't have to use a bloody cursor to move around the world. Conceptually, it sounds cool and time-saving, but it takes away so much from the charm of making a world like Persona does.

Wow, that seems clunky.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="spookykid143"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Oh, so it's lolchamp'shandheldopinion, move along folks, the seals are on the other side of the circus.Blabadon

do you mean you point and click to move your character around, or that the city is actually just a menu that takes you to locations? and if it's the latter, can you walk around those mini-zones, or is it like etrian odyssey, where just about everything outside of dungeons is a menu?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Blabadon

Here, this is unspoilery. I'd just link it for you guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIMhezyhgFs&feature=youtu.be&t=4m56s

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#226 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

The PS2 version of Persona 3 had you running around as the main character through those hub areas. Even the school too (which was pretty large).

What Blab linked looks to be a streamlined way of doing things, but more of a clinical way that seems to rob the immediacy of running around an urban locale/town.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 BrunoBRS

Blabadon
that's... kinda sad.
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts
P3P doesn't have the anime cutscenes either and I always liked those. P3P does have the better gameplay though since you can control your party so it's up to you what matters more.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 turtlethetaffer

While the audio log has kind of overstayed its welcome(as it really doesn't fit into a lot of games it shows up in) I much prefer the piece the story together route as oppose to having control taken away for me so the game can run its mouth off. It makes the process as a whole more interactive, and it sells the idea that you get from the game what you want out of it.

Bioshock's a weak game though no doubt. Poor gameplay, bad pacing, and a shitty final third on both a gameplay and narrative level. jg4xchamp

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this opinion. Overall I found the game incredibly lacking and overrated in just about every aspect. 

Brown9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Brown9
Member since 2012 • 949 Posts
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

BrunoBRS

that's... kinda sad.

I remember hearing it was a necessary change to fit the game onto the UMD. I always enjoyed it more than actually running around the town, personally.

Even running around the dungeons could get boring. There's not much to do in them aside from fighting enemies. It's why I preferred the shorter dungeons of P4; more variety in aesthetics and even a bit more to the dungeon than just "go to staircase".

I do like the overall setting and feel of P3 better than P4, but like the cast of P4 far more than that of P3. Social links with the entire party made all the difference. 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]While the audio log has kind of overstayed its welcome(as it really doesn't fit into a lot of games it shows up in) I much prefer the piece the story together route as oppose to having control taken away for me so the game can run its mouth off. It makes the process as a whole more interactive, and it sells the idea that you get from the game what you want out of it.

Bioshock's a weak game though no doubt. Poor gameplay, bad pacing, and a shitty final third on both a gameplay and narrative level. turtlethetaffer

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this opinion. Overall I found the game incredibly lacking and overrated in just about every aspect. 

Well..I mean you're not the only one with that opinion. Plenty of people dislike bioshock ;p

I don't know I still like the game. It's okay, awesome atmosphere, and Irrational is on point when it comes to their aesthetics
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]

Brown9

that's... kinda sad.

I remember hearing it was a necessary change to fit the game onto the UMD. I always enjoyed it more than actually running around the town, personally.

Even running around the dungeons could get boring. There's not much to do in them aside from fighting enemies. It's why I preferred the shorter dungeons of P4; more variety in aesthetics and even a bit more to the dungeon than just "go to staircase".

I do like the overall setting and feel of P3 better than P4, but like the cast of P4 far more than that of P3. Social links with the entire party made all the difference. 

i can't stand the dungeons and combat in P4, and that's probably what will keep me from checking previous games in the series, or even other SMT games.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 turtlethetaffer
[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]While the audio log has kind of overstayed its welcome(as it really doesn't fit into a lot of games it shows up in) I much prefer the piece the story together route as oppose to having control taken away for me so the game can run its mouth off. It makes the process as a whole more interactive, and it sells the idea that you get from the game what you want out of it.

Bioshock's a weak game though no doubt. Poor gameplay, bad pacing, and a shitty final third on both a gameplay and narrative level. jg4xchamp

Well..I mean you're not the only one with that opinion. Plenty of people dislike bioshock ;p

I don't know I still like the game. It's okay, awesome atmosphere, and Irrational is on point when it comes to their aesthetics

I think one of the few things it had was the production values and, because of that, the atmosphere... The gameplay just felt clunky and lacked any sort of tension (lead to more frustration than anything) and I didn't find the story to be especially mind blowingly philisophical like some poeple did. Maybe it's because I played it just two years ago, rather than when it came out, but if that's why, then the game hasn't aged very well at all.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

It's true that its based on what the player does, which is why I might be in the minority when it comes to the audio diary thing since I'm one to get bored of shitty ass mechanics in gameplay pretty easily (getting to Hephaestus was a chore, and god forbid the parts after it...). I didn't piece it together all that much since I was speeding through the experience, so it felt subpar in comparison to a regular story, which is probably why I feel so strongly about it being at least half gone from the game. Overall I feel that a good straighforward story (nothing too mouthy of course like you said :P) can help more than hinder depending on the game, and just based on my experience with Bioshock it would certainly help imo.

If they didn't have the crap, then maybe I might feel a little bit differently about the whole thing. Who knows though... I'm not going back to it any time soon. :P

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 turtlethetaffer

Bioshock's a weak game though no doubt. Poor gameplay, bad pacing, and a shitty final third on both a gameplay and narrative level. AznbkdX

It's true that its based on what the player does, which is why I might be in the minority when it comes to the audio diary thing since I'm one to get bored of shitty ass mechanics in gameplay pretty easily (getting to Hephaestus was a chore, and god forbid the parts after it...). I didn't piece it together all that much since I was speeding through the experience, so it felt subpar in comparison to a regular story, which is probably why I feel so strongly about it being at least half gone from the game. Overall I feel that a good straighforward story (nothing too mouthy of course like you said :P) can help more than hinder depending on the game, and just based on my experience with Bioshock it would certainly help imo.

If they didn't have the crap, then maybe I might feel a little bit differently about the whole thing. Who knows though... I'm not going back to it any time soon. :P

It wasn't even like that for me... I don't mind piecing things together. It was just that I was expecting more.  Soooooooo many people said the story was among the best in games, deep and philisophical, and I've got to say that I didn't find it anything terribly special. 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 jg4xchamp
I like a nice mixture, because gaming story telling is solid, but the actual stories they tell are f*cking laughable most of the time or cliche alternatives to something film and literature have done better ten times over. In most cases at least.

But yeah the audio log is too silly in some games. In Bioshock it makes sense what with the city going to shit and everyone putting down their last thoughts. Mother f*cking voxophones in Infinite don't really work in a City that hasn't gone to shit yet. Metro Last Light's bullshit of where Artoym writes down his mother f*cking thoughts as I'm playing is one of the dumbest f*cking ways of doing that.

Halo 4's terminal shit was like the king of dumbest story telling methods. Largely these things are there for the heavy exposition that these narratives want to get across, but it's also because these games also get super dependent on their plot devices. That said some of them yeild fantastic results. Lady C*ntstocks audio logs in Infinite might have been the best aspect of that game in the story department.

But yeah a poorly playing game is not a good game. There is no other way to really put it.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 jg4xchamp

I think one of the few things it had was the production values and, because of that, the atmosphere... The gameplay just felt clunky and lacked any sort of tension (lead to more frustration than anything) and I didn't find the story to be especially mind blowingly philisophical like some poeple did. Maybe it's because I played it just two years ago, rather than when it came out, but if that's why, then the game hasn't aged very well at all.

turtlethetaffer
The gameplay has a lot of cool ideas, and if you experiment with there is something truly awesome about all the powers in the game. Setting up traps, using all the crazier vigors, upgrading specific items.

The problem is that basic aspects of the combat aren't fun. Guns don't really feel varied, a shotgun might as well be a sniper in that game after an upgrade. Enemies were just spongy while never selling the idea of impact(poor feedback), and you ultimately never felt strong. The game justified all of its behavior with vita chamber excuse relying on the lack of death penalty to justify the tedium in the combat.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 turtlethetaffer
[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

jg4xchamp

The gameplay has a lot of cool ideas, and if you experiment with there is something truly awesome about all the powers in the game. Setting up traps, using all the crazier vigors, upgrading specific items.

The problem is that basic aspects of the combat aren't fun. Guns don't really feel varied, a shotgun might as well be a sniper in that game after an upgrade. Enemies were just spongy while never selling the idea of impact(poor feedback), and you ultimately never felt strong. The game justified all of its behavior with vita chamber excuse relying on the lack of death penalty to justify the tedium in the combat.

You just hit the nail on the head. Great ideas, but, as you said, none of the weapons felt powerful at all and lacked impact.  It made the game ridiculous to play near the end.  Enemies became too obnoxiously resilient, and crafting tools weren't hugely common, so you couldn't just use the ammo they were weak to.  Plus, fighting Big Daddys near the end was a huge exercise in trial and error.  It was, to me, at least, "run in, do as much damage as possible, die, repeat."  Sure, you could make electric shotgun shells, but they were almost never enough to finish the thing.

BTW I'm sure I've told you this before but I dig the Avy and sig :P 

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#239 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
Grand. Theft. Auto.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 turtlethetaffer

Grand. Theft. Auto.bbkkristian

This. I can't play GTAIV without getting mad at its terrible controls. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
Persona 4 aka Baby's First SMT is okay. It's good if you enjoy weeaboo dating sims with shit dungeons and dumbed down mechanics.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Maroxad

Persona 4 aka Baby's First SMT is okay. It's good if you enjoy weeaboo dating sims with shit dungeons and dumbed down mechanics.Aljosa23

I am playing Persona 4 atm, I like it, but I am seeing as more of an appetizer for the main course, which is Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#243  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i am going to catch hate, but Bioshock and Half Life 1 & 2

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points