siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
If you haven't noticed yet, GameSpot community manager Synthia and JodyR have made a small, but significant step for unions recently. They have begun featuring unions in the Spam Filter (the community blog) for the unions who are active, well standing communities in their own right. So far, two unions have been featured. the Pokemon League and Final Fantasy Experience. Congrats to them!

Synthia has also opened a contest to unions - design a border (example here) that will be used to frame screenshots of winning unions for the union spotlight.

We can all agree that the unions need, nay deserve some nice things of their own every now and then. A few weeks ago we showcased a union but we couldn't help but feel like there was something missing? A nice shiny border to frame that awesome union to help make their announcement stand out! While at first we thought we should take the time to craft one for the Union Spotlight we here at the community thought that it would be so much more interesting if we saw what kind of border the unions could come up with! You are already so creative with the work that you put into your Unions so clearly whatever borders you come up with will be nothing short of fantastic.

The criteria for your Union Spotlight Border submission are the following requirements:

*Size of the border should be 400x380.

*Be in gif format.

*Image size less than 200k.

*No animated borders.

* The text must read "Union of the Week"

*When you submit your border make sure that you leave the center blank.

*We want the content to be original. That being said, don't steal other peoples work!

Once you've settled on the perfect stage for your Union Spotlight, display your entries in your union for all your fellow members to see, then link to it in this forum page here. We will be taking submissions for the Union Spotlight Border Contest until June 30th, 12:00PM PT after we've collected the submissions the Staff will cherry pick the ones that we feel best fit the desired concept for a Union Spotlight Border.

Then on Friday the 1st we will display the top submission and let you unionists vote on which border you like most! Voting period will go from Friday when the weekly report is posted until July 7th at 12:00PM PT when your votes will be tallied. The union with the winning border will be featured in the weekly report, a union level up, and of course have their border featured for all future Union Spotlights! So unions, lets see what you got!

Synthia
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
I feel that it's going to be biased and they're only going to pick game specific unions for the most part even though half of them are pretty dead. There's so many more active unions out there that will probably never get mentioned...
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
I appreciate the work being done by Synthia and Jody. I believe small things like this will bring about the bigger things, such as perhaps a small revival in unions and encouragement to continue using them. :)
lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
You are quite the optimistic user, aren't you micheal? :P
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
^ Yep, I'm realistically optimistic. Unions could very well see a small revival if more features like these, that involve them, are implemented. I hope this union will do something similar once we get going. ;)
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts
Although I certainly believe that this feature is a step in the right direction, I still have mixed feelings on the core idea is being implemented. With the border design contest, it is showing real promise that this is a serious attempt to bring attention back to unions, but as Julian said, I fear that the central unions of three or four years ago are the ones being featured, and the unions with active forums today haven't yet been recognized. I became more concerned when The Headcrab Union was featured in the spotlight today, since the union is just starting to be revived. I think that the work Sentinelrv has done for the union is absolutely incredible, and shows commitment towards the union unlike any other leader I've ever seen, but I believe that the once the forum has gained activity once again, it would have been much more meaningful for it to have been in the spotlight. So as I've already said, I have mixed feelings on it, but at the same time it has only just begun, and although (in my perspective) it's a case of "strong idea, poor execution", with some user feedback I believe the execution could be greatly improved.
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
Mudkip that's exactly how I feel about the way the spotlight is being handled right now. I understand that this is Gamespot's feature, however they have yet to feature a modern union in their spotlight. Here's one thing for everyone to consider: all of those older unions already get more advertising by GS than any modern union ever has due to the messed up level system. Newer unions have had to struggle with being hidden while the older unions even if dead have had the luxury of being at the top of all union recommendations. Now they also get to be on the spotlight as well?!? It's unfair for newer unions out there, until I see a modern union which is active being in the spotlight I'll remain with this opinion.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 siberian142
Congrats to the Headcrab union for getting featured in this weeks spam filter! :)

You can also now vote for the border that will be used in the union spotlight.
Sentinelrv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Sentinelrv
Member since 2002 • 23386 Posts

I agree with the general consensus, though I think GameSpot might be looking for more than just an active board. The content might have something to do with it also. They do need to somehow be made aware of the unions with active communities.

I disagree with the idea that the top unions are more advertised though. Well, technically they are advertised more because of the broken leveling system, but that only helps if people unfamiliar with the union system know where to look in the first place. There are almost no links anywhere on the site that lead you to the union categories page. Without a way to find that page, even a top level union like the HCU doesn't get much advertising. They need to put a link to that page under the forums tab, though I don't think they would until unions are redesigned to look uniform with the rest of the site.

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MuddyMaestro
Typically I use that link to to check out if and when new unions have been created. The only way I know how to get to it is through ones profile, under the Unions tab, and clicking "Browse" on te left side of the creen just above the listing of featured unions. Oh, and speaking of featured unions, this is one of the major problems with the current system. The listings haven't been updated in years, and many unions that are dead are still listed there. Considering there are so few ways to find unions, especially if you don't know where to look, the fact that one of the most effective advertising tools on the site is essentially broken certainly doesn't help.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 siberian142

Congrats to the GameSpot's GameSpace Banner Union for getting the spotlight this week! :)
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MuddyMaestro
This was a very deserving union to be featured. They do a great service to the site, and it's great for them to get some recognition for it. Even if most people contribute to it just for the emblems. :P
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 siberian142
 Congrats Social Cafe :).It's getting a lot more varied now :P.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MuddyMaestro
The RPG Temple were the last ones featured. As an news union it's fairly deserving, but as a forum union there are a lot better candidates. Congrats to them though.
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts
How is it that featured unions are chosen? It might be beneficial to new unions if they received a bit of attention rather than old ones that are already well established and don't really need it.
MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MuddyMaestro
I believe one the main reasons Organization KH was featured was Fuse update I posted about the final round in one of our character battles, which she replied to. A few days later, the union was featured. Just getting your union out there where either Jody or Synthia can see them could be a great way just to bring it to their attention.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#17 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

How is it that featured unions are chosen? It might be beneficial to new unions if they received a bit of attention rather than old ones that are already well established and don't really need it.Artekus

The BEST WAY to get your union noticed is to send a PM about your union to either myself or GS-Community. Jody on any given day has OVER 100 PM'S in her inbox and often does not have time to go through them all. I however am far less occupied. 

Also as I'm sure you've noticed many of the unions that have been featured as of recent have all submitted an interview. To be eligible for the level up your Union Leader must submit the answers that we ask during the interview to be featured and gain the level up. 

If you have any additional questions please feel free to message me, my virtual door is always open. 

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

[QUOTE="Artekus"]How is it that featured unions are chosen? It might be beneficial to new unions if they received a bit of attention rather than old ones that are already well established and don't really need it.Synthia

The BEST WAY to get your union noticed is to send a PM about your union to either myself or GS-Community. Jody on any given day has OVER 100 PM'S in her inbox and often does not have time to go through them all. I however am far less occupied. 

Also as I'm sure you've noticed many of the unions that have been featured as of recent have all submitted an interview. To be eligible for the level up your Union Leader must submit the answers that we ask during the interview to be featured and gain the level up. 

If you have any additional questions please feel free to message me, my virtual door is always open. 

Who would I send the interview answers to? 

siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 siberian142
Either of us is fine.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts
Either of us is fine.siberian142
Quick question, the Final Fantasy Fans Union has sent you an interview, did you recieve that, I just want to make sure it was sent and recieved properly...
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 siberian142
[QUOTE="siberian142"]Either of us is fine.maniamsmart
Quick question, the Final Fantasy Fans Union has sent you an interview, did you recieve that, I just want to make sure it was sent and recieved properly...

I did receive it. I am just holding onto it until we're ready to post it.
maniamsmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 maniamsmart
Member since 2006 • 12069 Posts
[QUOTE="maniamsmart"][QUOTE="siberian142"]Either of us is fine.siberian142

Alright, thank you for confirming, appreciate it.
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts

[QUOTE="siberian142"][QUOTE="maniamsmart"][QUOTE="siberian142"]Either of us is fine.maniamsmart

Alright, thank you for confirming, appreciate it.

Yep, thxs a lot siberian :)

We will be waiting for it to be posted :D