Zero Punctuation (Yahtzee) reviews Halo 4

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

link

You are welcome.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

He's absolutely spot on about the campaign in every way.

He's a bit off on gameplay, but it's not like he can actually praise things, now can he?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

He's a bit off on gameplay, but it's not like he can actually praise things, now can he?

DarkLink77
Shadow of the Colossus. Not only is it GOAT, Yahtzee actually likes it. They should have put that as a slogan on the HD collection.
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

good review. better than the one from this site, that's for sure.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Blabadon
Shadow of the Colossus. Not only is it GOAT, Yahtzee actually likes it. They should have put that as a slogan on the HD collection.

He can praise that because it's an arthouse game, so that's just hipster enough to fly.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
The campaign was fun w/ some amazing environments, but he was right about the USB ports lololol and also there's too many switches. All 343 needs to do for Halo 5 is use much more variety in objectives and it'll be an amazing game. Otherwise, he just hates on the game to be cool.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkLink77
The campaign was fun w/ some amazing environments, but he was right about the USB ports lololol and also there's too many switches. All 343 needs to do for Halo 5 is use much more variety in objectives and it'll be an amazing game. Otherwise, he just hates on the game to be cool.-RocBoys9489-
He was also right about the story.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

He praised GW2 quite a bit. Be mad.

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -RocBoys9489-
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]The campaign was fun w/ some amazing environments, but he was right about the USB ports lololol and also there's too many switches. All 343 needs to do for Halo 5 is use much more variety in objectives and it'll be an amazing game. Otherwise, he just hates on the game to be cool.DarkLink77

If you're a fan of the universe, it's not that confusing. But without prior game knowledge, I can see why it would be very confusing.
TecmoGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TecmoGirl
Member since 2007 • 3965 Posts

OMAQ5.gifHe definitely delivered da funny this time -- don't really care for Halo enough to be butthurt though.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
this is the first great/funny review from him in at least 2 years.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"]The campaign was fun w/ some amazing environments, but he was right about the USB ports lololol and also there's too many switches. All 343 needs to do for Halo 5 is use much more variety in objectives and it'll be an amazing game. Otherwise, he just hates on the game to be cool.-RocBoys9489-

If you're a fan of the universe, it's not that confusing. But without prior game knowledge, I can see why it would be very confusing.

I am a fan of the universe (admittedly, I haven't read the Forerunner books yet, but I've read nearly everything else) and I had to pull up Halopedia after the Librarian's infodump. And they just get a lot of things wrong, frankly. Like, blatantly, "this is not possible in the Halo universe" wrong.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Haven't seen a Yahtzee video in forever; can't believe he's still doing the exact same schtick.

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts
love his reviews. too many reviewers just focus on the good aspects.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -RocBoys9489-
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] He was also right about the story.

I am a fan of the universe (admittedly, I haven't read the Forerunner books yet, but I've read nearly everything else) and I had to pull up Halopedia after the Librarian's infodump. And they just get a lot of things wrong, frankly. Like, blatantly, "this is not possible in the Halo universe" wrong.

What did you think was wrong (w/ spoiler tag)
worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] He was also right about the story.

no it didnt, everything in halo 4 does make sense while you need to read the forrunners books, it all made sense, well to me atleast, you not so much
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"] If you're a fan of the universe, it's not that confusing. But without prior game knowledge, I can see why it would be very confusing.

What did you think was wrong (w/ spoiler tag)

[spoiler] Well, for one, there's the whole, "They'll just give you another Cortana model to replace me" thing. That is not possible. AIs do not work that way. There are not AI "models." There's is also no way to replicate Cortana. It was an incredibly stupid thing to to put in the game and considering 343 worships Halo's EU someone should have caught it. [/spoiler]
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="worknow222"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="-RocBoys9489-"] If you're a fan of the universe, it's not that confusing. But without prior game knowledge, I can see why it would be very confusing.

no it didnt, everything in halo 4 does make sense while you need to read the forrunners books, it all made sense, well to me atleast, you not so much

If you have to access additional media to understand the story in whatever it is you are experiencing, the writers have failed on a fundamental level. There is no excuse for how poorly things were explained in Halo 4.
worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worknow222

[QUOTE="worknow222"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] I am a fan of the universe (admittedly, I haven't read the Forerunner books yet, but I've read nearly everything else) and I had to pull up Halopedia after the Librarian's infodump. And they just get a lot of things wrong, frankly. Like, blatantly, "this is not possible in the Halo universe" wrong.DarkLink77

If you have to access additional media to understand the story in whatever it is you are experiencing, the writers have failed on a fundamental level. There is no excuse for how poorly things were explained in Halo 4.

Depends on your view, I for one think it's fine (for I am a fan) so I am not effected by it, but for someone who is new to halo I say they did fine, considering the terminals explain alot about the story, Not everything, but making people guess until 343 explains it is fine, not everything has to follow your code of story, for I think the way you would tell a story to be horrible, opinions I guess

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

love his reviews. too many reviewers just focus on the good aspects.jeffster85

And only focusing on the bad espects is any better?

a true review should look andd articulate both.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
bad review, bad jokes and complains too much about little things. meh
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="worknow222"] no it didnt, everything in halo 4 does make sense while you need to read the forrunners books, it all made sense, well to me atleast, you not so muchworknow222

Depends on your view, I for one think it's fine (for I am a fan) so I am not effected by it, but for someone who is new to halo I say they did fine, considering the terminals explain alot about the story, Not everything, but making people guess until 343 explains it is fine, not everything has to follow your code of story, for I think the way you would tell a story to be horrible, opinions I guess

Someone who is new to Halo will have no idea what the f*ck is going on. You think the way I would tell a story would be horrible based on what? You know zip about how I would tell a story. What a stupid thing to say.
Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Sounds like a pretty accurate description of Halo 4.
worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 worknow222
[QUOTE="worknow222"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] If you have to access additional media to understand the story in whatever it is you are experiencing, the writers have failed on a fundamental level. There is no excuse for how poorly things were explained in Halo 4.DarkLink77

Someone who is new to Halo will have no idea what the f*ck is going on. You think the way I would tell a story would be horrible based on what? You know zip about how I would tell a story. What a stupid thing to say.

ive seen you talk about story in threads and the basis on what you thnk is bad storytelling, to me how you would tell a story just seems stupid, but hey dont shoot the messenger, shake the mans hand then have a beer
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

"Gay african mammoth" :lol:

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="worknow222"] Depends on your view, I for one think it's fine (for I am a fan) so I am not effected by it, but for someone who is new to halo I say they did fine, considering the terminals explain alot about the story, Not everything, but making people guess until 343 explains it is fine, not everything has to follow your code of story, for I think the way you would tell a story to be horrible, opinions I guessworknow222

ive seen you talk about story in threads and the basis on what you thnk is bad storytelling, to me how you would tell a story just seems stupid, but hey dont shoot the messenger, shake the mans hand then have a beer

Just to let you know, the way I talk about storytelling is the way any writer who has studied the way stories are told and has written for years and years will talk about it. But different strokes and all that. I'm not going to hold your opinion against you.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="worknow222"] Depends on your view, I for one think it's fine (for I am a fan) so I am not effected by it, but for someone who is new to halo I say they did fine, considering the terminals explain alot about the story, Not everything, but making people guess until 343 explains it is fine, not everything has to follow your code of story, for I think the way you would tell a story to be horrible, opinions I guess

worknow222

The fact that the story of Halo 4 relies heavily on extra reading outisde of the game world is a start. It draws a lot from other parts of the Halo world not seen or explained in the games and requires you to read up on it a lot. Which is good for fans of it who have read it, but not for newcomers, which a new trilogy start will always have.

mrfrosty151986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrfrosty151986
Member since 2012 • 533 Posts

Halo hasn't really moved forward, the first game was truly epic and ushered in a new benchmark as to what FPS games needed to do/have.

Halo 2 added a few more gameplay mechanics ( hijacking vehicles and dual weilding ftw!! )

And as Yahtzee puts in the video it's really combat evolved all that much since then, sure the games now look prettier then ever but strip back all the paint and it's largly the same game as Halo 2 and has not really changed all that much.

It'll always do well as long as it has the words 'Halo' on the case but if it didn't and it was just a new IP would it of still got the praise that it did?

Because I don't think it would of.

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

[QUOTE="worknow222"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] If you have to access additional media to understand the story in whatever it is you are experiencing, the writers have failed on a fundamental level. There is no excuse for how poorly things were explained in Halo 4.DarkLink77

Someone who is new to Halo will have no idea what the f*ck is going on.

I know nothing of the extended universe of Halo, but I was fine with Halo 4. Bad dude is going to f**k s**t up, Master Chief needs to stop him. That Kojima-styleinfo dump seemed unnecessary though.

jeffster85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jeffster85
Member since 2010 • 2286 Posts

[QUOTE="jeffster85"]love his reviews. too many reviewers just focus on the good aspects.DJ-Lafleur

And only focusing on the bad espects is any better?

a true review should look andd articulate both.

to me, it is. bad aspects ruin a game, so i prefer seeing what those are. ;)

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
but it's not like he can actually praise things, now can he?DarkLink77
Portal 1 and 2, Batman: AA and AC, and there are a dozen more after that. He makes jokes about everything. It doesn't mean he's always negative about it.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]but it's not like he can actually praise things, now can he?Jebus213
Portal 1 and 2, Batman: AA and AC, and there are a dozen more after that. He makes jokes about everything. It doesn't mean he's always negative about it.

There's like, six, maybe, that he hasn't contradicted in a later review.

It's stupidly rare, and that's only when the game is so excellent that bashing it for the things that you can get away with in other games would make him look like a moron.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I think this is the best yahtzee yet.

And I agree about the USB port crap, lol.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

I think this is the best yahtzee yet.

And I agree about the USB port crap, lol.

ReadingRainbow4
It was good,I still think the best one was The Sims 3,really funny that one was.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Yahtzee is one of the best reviewers out there.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
bad review, bad jokes and complains too much about little things. mehmems_1224
butthurt, butthurt and more butthurt.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jebus213

[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]but it's not like he can actually praise things, now can he?DarkLink77

It's stupidly rare, and that's only when the game is so excellent that bashing it for the things that you can get away with in other games would make him look like a moron.

******* Quoted wrong user.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Jebus213"] Portal 1 and 2, Batman: AA and AC, and there are a dozen more after that. He makes jokes about everything. It doesn't mean he's always negative about it.Jebus213

lol he must bash games you like...

He bashes everything. :P Usually I end up agreeing, more or less.
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrYaotubo
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] There's like, six, maybe, that he hasn't contradicted in a later review.

DarkLink77
lol he must bash games you like...

He also loves valve games,especially Half Life 2. >.>
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jebus213
bad review, bad jokes and complains too much about little things. mehmems_1224
lol he must bash games you like... People are tools.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jebus213
[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Jebus213"] lol he must bash games you like...

because they're actually decent games.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Blabadon

He likes a lot of current-gen games, too. Portal, RDR, Just Cause 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Super Mario Galaxy (he nitpicked every aspect of the game EXCEPT gameplay, and even said outright that it was very fun, but diverted the focus of the review regardless for comedic value).
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 princeofshapeir
Yahtzee is one of the best reviewers out there.kuraimen
Really? Despite the fact that he hates almost all of the big PS3 exclusives? What a surprise coming from you.
Avatar image for DontGetBigIdeas
DontGetBigIdeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DontGetBigIdeas
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts

Jankarcop
And he loved XCOM, which gamers have widely ignored (on the console side...) for LoLz the ShooterZ!
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrYaotubo
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] He bashes everything. :P Usually I end up agreeing, more or less.

Oh I know,they´re amazing games but DL usually hates on everything valve makes,that´s why I mentioned it.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="MrYaotubo"][QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="MrYaotubo"] He also loves valve games,especially Half Life 2. >.>

Oh I know,they´re amazing games but DL usually hates on everything valve makes,that´s why I mentioned it.

I like Portal and Team Fortress 2. >.>
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

So much HaloKid butthurt itt :lol:

princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 princeofshapeir

Jankarcop
Eh, not really. He liked ArenaNet's approach to MMOs but felt a lot of the hearts and dynamic events were soulless and lacked narrative. His review of Cataclysm was actually a lot more positive.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

Very funny stuff, I am intruiged by a Halo story for the first time. try not to take Yahtzee's words to heart, fanbiys. He's auteur, a master of prose, hyperbole and exaggeration are his best weapons to pull in the funny.And more often than not, he speaks the truth wehter you want to hear it or not.