StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Interesting tidbit from AMD Computex Presentation just less than 24 hours ago. Note how the image shows "Over 50M Game Consoles Powered by AMD APUs"

Now we know that Sony just recently announced 40m units sold-through, so Xbox One must be (well) below the 20m estimate that is commonly cited? Surely if it had passed 20m, they would have put "over 60m?" What are your thoughts on this?

Makes you think....

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Over 50 million could be anything, it could be 90 million too.

I also want to remind you that Wii U is powered by AMD too, and that alone has sold 14 million, meaning it plus PS4 alone would be 54 million, without factoring in a single unit sale for Xbox One- so the over 50 million is probably just a very rough estimate used for the presentation and nothing official.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605 said:

I also want to remind you that Wii U is powered by AMD too, and that alone has sold 14 million, meaning it plus PS4 alone would be 54 million, without factoring in a single unit sale for Xbox One- so the over 50 million is probably just a very rough estimate used for the presentation and nothing official.

Not AMD APU...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Not AMD APU...

Ah, you're right.

Well, even so, EAA, Ubisoft, Gamex, and other sources have confirmed multiple times that the Xbox One was at roughly 18-20 million units sold worldwide back in December, so it's probably a bit higher now. AMD's number is probably just a very rough off the cuff ballpark estimate.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#5 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Its probably just a safe guess so they don't get in trouble for giving out false statistics by bumping it up.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605:

Those are estimations, and I think it has a bit more clout when it comes from AMD. If Xbox One was at >20m, they would have put 60m, not 50m.

How much do we have hard numbers for Xbox One accounted for from NPD, GfK, Media Create (lol), etc?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

Those are estimations, and I think it has a bit more clout when it comes from AMD. If Xbox One was at >20m, they would have put 60m, not 50m.

How much do we have hard numbers for Xbox One accounted for from NPD, GfK, Media Create (lol), etc?

Everything points to the same 18 million in December.

Did AMD specify a timeframe for their figure?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

So why are you saying it's above 20m now then for certain? I'm not saying it's at 10m, obviously not, but is it 20m? Who knows, and this slide certainly raises some questions.

This is just from mere hours ago at their presentation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

So why are you saying it's above 20m now then for certain? I'm not saying it's at 10m, obviously not, but is it 20m? Who knows, and this slide certainly raises some questions.

I'm not saying that. I am saying the AMD slide is obviously suspect, because according to it, Xbox One is only at 10 million sold worldwide, which is less than even Wii U and PS Vita, which we know isn't true.

And I'm not asking when the slide was presented, I am asking what the sales numbers are dated- like, Sony usually shows off slides for PS4 figures from the previous quarter in their quarterly meetings, meaning from three months ago. I am wondering if AMD are not simply using the December figure that everybody else is using, which means Xbox is at 18 million, and PS4 is at 32 million, which was roughly true around the end of last year.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

The XB1 is definitely not under 20 million sold at this point.

AMD was simply being conservative with their numbers.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

I think you're reading into things too much and getting crazy ideas...

AMD has no idea how many consoles have sold to consumers, that's not their business and has nothing to do with them, the only figure they can give with any known accuracy would be how much hardware they have sold to Sony and Microsoft.

It's as simple as that.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

I'm not saying that. I am saying the AMD slide is obviously suspect, because according to it, Xbox One is only at 10 million sold worldwide, which is less than even Wii U and PS Vita, which we know isn't true.

And I'm not asking when the slide was presented, I am asking what the sales numbers are dated- like, Sony usually shows off slides for PS4 figures from the previous quarter in their quarterly meetings, meaning from three months ago. I am wondering if AMD are not simply using the December figure that everybody else is using, which means Xbox is at 18 million, and PS4 is at 32 million, which was roughly true around the end of last year.

I don't think we can dismiss an AMD slide so easily, that's an easy cop-out as damage control.

PS4 was around 36m at end of last year, not 32m. And they didn't date it, but this was just hours ago, unless you think AMD don't have data any more recent than from 6 months ago or that they make their slides 6 months in advance. Both of which are not realistic scenarios in any way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

I don't think we can dismiss an AMD slide so easily, that's an easy cop-out as damage control.

PS4 was around 36m at end of last year, not 32m. And they didn't date it, but this was just hours ago, unless you think AMD don't have data any more recent than from 6 months ago or that they make their slides 6 months in advance. Both of which are not realistic scenarios in any way.

And Xbox One selling less than Wii U and PS Vita is a realistic scenario?

lol okay

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:

lol okay

No, I never said that. Just that it hasn't hit 20m and they are rounding down.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StealthMonkey4

@dynamitecop said:

AMD has no idea how many consoles have sold to consumers, that's not their business and has nothing to do with them, the only figure they can give with any known accuracy would be how much hardware they have sold to Sony and Microsoft.

It's as simple as that.

So the situation is even more dire. Interesting...

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Wait so are we now trying to say that Xbox One is at 10m? Because if we go by this and Sonys numbers then their 50 million could only mean that Xbox One is at 10 million sold. I doubt that this is the case.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dynamitecop

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@dynamitecop said:

It's as simple as that.

So the situation is even more dire. Interesting...

No, you're just not that intelligent and can't figure out that AMD doesn't have this information so they post a conservative figure....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

lol okay

No, I never said that. Just that it hasn't hit 20m and they are rounding down.

So what are reasonable estimates for PS4 and Xbox one sales according to you?

Given that:

• You believe AMD are using the latest figures
  • PS4 hit 40 million sold a few weeks ago
  • You don't think Xbox One is at 10 million units sold

What exactly do you think, then?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605:

Can't answer that if you don't specify sold-in or sold-through.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StealthMonkey4

@bunchanumbers said:

Wait so are we now trying to say that Xbox One is at 10m?

No.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

Is AMD using sold through or sold in? Use whatever they are using.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

Be careful OP, I wouldn't want you to break that fragile fishing rod.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

Typical Cow thread, following the lead of your foreign corporate leaders.

Every time there is positive Xbox news, talk sales. Getting old dude.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

I'd imagine they are using sold-in.

It's impossible to estimate. Only thing we know is PS4 is ~41m sold-in.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

So Xbox One, by deduction and implication, is at 9 million units sold in according to you.

Top fucking kek.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

So Xbox One, by deduction and implication, is at 9 million units sold in according to you.

Top fucking kek.

For the third or fourth time, no. I just said it's highly likely it's under 20m.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bunchanumbers

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

So you're saying that Xbox only sold 9 million units so far? Maybe a little more?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dynamitecop
@StealthMonkey4 said:

For the third or fourth time, no. I just said it's highly likely it's under 20m.

I think the only highly likely thing that's taking place around here is that you're ignoring things that damn you.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StealthMonkey4

@bunchanumbers:

Being trolled by two mods simultaneously right now. This is unreal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

Top fucking kek.

Then you are contradicting yourself. You say you believe that AMD's figure of 50 million units sold is sold in, recent, and specific. You say you believe the PS4 has sold 41 million units sold in. Then by simple deduction, and basic logic, you are also saying by implication that the Xbox One has sold 9 million units sold in worldwide.

If you don't think that it has sold 9 million, and if you think it has sold more than 9 million, then simple logic, again, dictates that either the AMD figure is not specific enough, or the PS4 figure is not. We know the PS4 figure is, but the AMD figure, by sheer process of elimination, is not. Simple logic and an IQ of 40 or above are enough to figure out either of these things.

So we reach three conclusions:

• Either you believe the Xbox One has only sold 9 million units so far- which you have to believe if you believe the AMD and PS4 figures, there's no way out of it
  • You believe that Sony's figures are wrong
  • You believe that AMD's figures are wrong

It is one of those three, which is it?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pedro

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@bunchanumbers:

A trolling troll complaining that he is being trolled in the midst of his troll. Now that is golden.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 bunchanumbers

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@bunchanumbers:

I just want some somewhat accurate numbers. I don't think that 9 million units sold is a accurate number. That's all. Because if what you're saying is correct, Xbox One is outsold by Wii U by several million units.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dynamitecop
@charizard1605 said:

Then you are contradicting yourself. You say you believe that AMD's figure of 50 million units sold is sold in, recent, and specific. You say you believe the PS4 has sold 41 million units sold in. Then by simple deduction, and basic logic, you are also saying by implication that the Xbox One has sold 9 million units sold in worldwide.

If you don't think that it has sold 9 million, and if you think it has sold more than 9 million, then simple logic, again, dictates that either the AMD figure is not specific enough, or the PS4 figure is not. We know the PS4 figure is, but the AMD figure, by sheer process of elimination, is not. Simple logic and an IQ of 40 or above are enough to figure out either of these things.

• Either you believe the Xbox One has only sold 9 million units so far- which you have to believe if you believe the AMD and PS4 figures, there's no way out of it

Here's my question, why is he using AMD as a source of information in the fist place? They don't know how many of these things have sold to consumers, that's not their business, they are a manufacturer that sell their product to two corporations that then sell this product in their product...

Sony and Microsoft don't have to share anything with AMD in terms of what they've sold because it's not their business...

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605:

No, what I'm saying is that the combined could be 56-59m and that AMD rounded them down.

MS doesn't release numbers and we know they have next to non-existent global appeal.

Again, how much of Xbox One's sales are accounted for by US, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Spain, etc. HW numbers that we have? Why are you having such a hard time accepting <20m?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@StealthMonkey4 said:

You're making one big mistake. It just says "Over 50M consoles powered by AMD". It doesn't say anything about sales so even if there were 15M Xbox One sitting a warehouse, they would still count among the 50M powered by AMD. That basically means you can't read anything aside from the fact that there are over 50M consoles with AMD APU's. It was confirmed Microsoft at least shipped 20M Xbox One(not sold) so that alone would mean at least 60M consoles are powered by AMD APU's which means 50M means nothing at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@dynamitecop said:
@charizard1605 said:

Here's my question, why is he using AMD as a source of information in the fist place? They don't know how many of these things have sold to consumers, that's not their business, they are a manufacturer that sell their product to two corporations that then sell this product in their product...

Sony and Microsoft don't have to share anything with AMD in terms of what they've sold because it's not their business...

AMD definitely know how much the consoles are selling, because they get royalties per unit sold, don't be ridiculous. But even if AMD know, they didn't put that information, very clearly, on a public slide they just used to make a general point at their Computex keynote. StealthMonkey is either trying to troll (at which he is failing, because this isn't even a good shtick), or he's not very smart.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pedro

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

No, what I'm saying is that the combined could be 56-59m and that AMD rounded them down.

MS doesn't release numbers and we know they have next to non-existent global appeal.

Again, how much of Xbox One's sales are accounted for by US, UK, Japan, Germany, France, Spain, etc. HW numbers that we have? Why are you having such a hard time accepting <20m?

The PS4 is well below 40 million. The Xbox One sold ~20 million and if AMD is stating over 50 million that would mean that Sony only sold 30 million consoles. Things are not at bright for Sony as we believed.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StealthMonkey4

@Pedro said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

The PS4 is well below 40 million.The Xbox One sold ~20 million and if AMD is stating over 50 million that would mean that Sony only sold 30 million consoles. Things are not at bright for Sony as we believed.

Now wait a second, who's the troll here again?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-26-ps4-passes-40m-sales-milestone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

AMD rounded it down? AMD rounded down 59 million to 50 million? Do you know how math works?

And if 59 million was rounded down to 50 million (fucking lol), and if PS4 is at 41 million, then the Xbox One is at 18 million, which is the figure I have been using throughout this thread that you won't accept. What the hell are you even trying to say? Did you have a larger point in mind, or did you just figure you would make it up as you went along?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By dynamitecop

@charizard1605 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@charizard1605 said:

AMD definitely know how much the consoles are selling, because they get royalties per unit sold, don't be ridiculous. But even if AMD know, they didn't put that information, very clearly, on a public slide they just used to make a general point at their Computex keynote. StealthMonkey is either trying to troll (at which he is failing, because this isn't even a good shtick), or he's not very smart.

How do you know they get royalties and it's not a simple "we manufacture XX,XXX,XXX amount of hardware and you pay us for XX,XXX,XXX amount of hardware"? There's nothing to suggest beyond that they have any information, they could have created the hardware for 80,000,000 units of both the PS4 and Xbox One so far, I don't see a single thing that suggests they know anything beyond what they have shipped out.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@StealthMonkey4 said:

AMD numbers are more accurate than Sony or Microsoft according to your implication. This explains why Sony needed to release the Neo because sales are not as high as they expected. With MS ~20 million Sony has to be below 40 million. Are you saying AMD doesn't know what they are talking about?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@dynamitecop said:
@charizard1605 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@charizard1605 said:

How do you know they get royalties and it's not a simple "we manufacture XX,XXX,XXX amount of hardware and you pay us for XX,XXX,XXX amount of hardware"? There's nothing to suggest beyond that they have any information, they could have created the hardware for 80,000,000 units of both the PS4 and Xbox One so far, I don't see a single thing that suggests they know anything beyond what THEY have shipped out.

Because AMD reports royalty earnings from each console in their quarterly and annual earnings statements?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dynamitecop

@charizard1605 said:

Because AMD reports royalty earnings from each console in their quarterly and annual earnings statements?

Where is this specified?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StealthMonkey4

@charizard1605:

It's not very uncommon at all to round down a number in a presentation to have a neat, round figure.

No one has still answered the important question: why not put 60m if Xbox One was at 20m?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StealthMonkey4

@Pedro said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

AMD numbers are more accurate than Sony or Microsoft according to your implication. This explains why Sony needed to release the Neo because sales are not as high as they expected. With MS ~20 million Sony has to be below 40 million. Are you saying AMD doesn't know what they are talking about?

Wrong on every account. Those are sold-through numbers from Sony and are as accurate as it gets.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dynamitecop

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

It's not very uncommon at all to round down a number in a presentation to have a neat, round figure.

No one has still answered the important question: why not put 60m if Xbox One was at 20m?

Because they don't actually know what everything sold is tallied to, and they put a safe figure as to not mislead during a simple presentation where they don't have all the information...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

I'm not even saying it is at 20 million. I am saying it is at 18-19 million. You're the one who's insisting on using the 50 million figure as gospel.

@dynamitecop said:
@charizard1605 said:

Where is this specified?

Here.

Even better, Microsoft flat out uses AMD silicon, which means they get the chips from AMD wholesale. AMD absolutely knows how many Xbox One units have been manufactured, though they probably are not aware of how many are sold.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StealthMonkey4

@dynamitecop said:
@StealthMonkey4 said:

@charizard1605:

Because they don't actually know what everything sold is tallied to, and they put a safe figure as to not mislead during a simple presentation where they don't have all the information...

AMD would know fairly exact numbers. EA and Ubisoft and Activision-Blizzard would only know estimates.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@StealthMonkey4 said:

Wrong on every account. Those are sold-through numbers from Sony and are as accurate as it gets.

According to AMD this not the case. The PS4 is well below the claimed 40 million. If AMD stated that there are over 50 million consoles using their APU and Xbox One sold ~18 million last December, then the PS4 only sold 32 and not 40 million. That is dire.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dynamitecop

@charizard1605 said:

Where is this specified?

Here.

Even better, Microsoft flat out uses AMD silicon, which means they get the chips from AMD wholesale. AMD absolutely knows how many Xbox One units have been manufactured, though they probably are not aware of how many are sold.

That's exactly what I said...