Xbox Has Sold 1.6 Million Consoles In Q3 Y2015

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

These are the numbers that MSoft is reporting so please spare us all the, 'This is not sold through' talk.

1.6 Million Consoles Sold in Q3

This number is down from the previous year 2 million sold but since MSoft doesn't disclose 36o vs. The One we don't know how this breaks out from year to year. On the surface this looks average but also generated a lot less revenue.

"Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue decreased $72 million or 4%, primarily due to lower revenue from Xbox Platform, offset in part by higher Surface revenue. Computing and Gaming Hardware revenue included an unfavorable foreign currency impact of approximately 4%. Xbox Platform revenue decreased $306 million or 24%, driven by a 20% decline in console volume and lower prices of Xbox One consoles compared to the prior year. We sold 1.6 million Xbox consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2015 compared with 2.0 million consoles during the third quarter of fiscal year 2014. Surface revenue increased $219 million or 44%, primarily due to Surface Pro 3 units sold, offset in part by a decrease in revenue from other Surface devices sold. Surface Pro 3 was released in June 2014.

Computing and Gaming Hardware gross margin increased $156 million or 60%, due to a $228 million or 14% decrease in cost of revenue, offset in part by lower revenue. Gross margin benefited from the mix shift to Surface Pro 3. Computing and Gaming cost of revenue decreased, primarily due to a $265 million or 27% decline in Xbox Platform cost of revenue, driven by lower volumes and a lower cost per console sold."

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Sounds bad

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@lostrib said:

Sounds bad

Sony doomed.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Not great.

Either the X360 numbers are terrible (remember this 1.6 million refers to X360+XB1) which would kinda make sense looking at how much it (and the PS3) has been dropping OR the worst case scenario, the massive promos during the Holidays have made the audience hesitant on buying it during the rest of the year. I mean, if you know you can get much cheaper just a few months later why wouldn't you?

In any case, hopefully MS will find a solution for this problem.

--

BTW, this a bit off-topic, but Surface 3 seems to be doing great! Amazing little tablet IMO, well deserved!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Xbox? Not just Xbox One?

Ehhh.

The Surface is doing excellently well, and well deserved too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Probably selling more Xbox One's than last year, with a bigger decline in Xbox 360

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Down 20% from last year. Ouch. You'd hope most of the decline is from 360s, but even if that were true you'd think the price cuts and game bundles would've driven sales to offset things. That doesn't appear to be happening.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

If my predictions are correct.

The XBone sales will end up being slower then 360

lets be real here the 360 had better games and better graphical/cpu power leap

consumers are seeing the xbones leap is small, the console was priced high and sitll is priced high, 360 had better games and more steady flow of them while xbox one has had nothing for months.

xbone < 360 in sales lifetime imo the brand they built up with the 360 was nice but people who are researching it aren't impressed and consumers are going elsewhere

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Sony lost another Billion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

This will be the last xbox console. RIP Xbox.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ProtossX

@xhawk27 said:

@Heil68 said:

omg crap is sony ok?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@ProtossX said:

@xhawk27 said:

@Heil68 said:

omg crap is sony ok?

They might have to sell Naughty Dog soon.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kuu2

@ps4hasnogames said:

We will see but I don't think this current financial report will play into that type of decision at all. It is neither great news nor disastrous news.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PS4hasNOgames

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

We will see but I don't think this current financial report will play into that type of decision at all. It is neither great news nor disastrous news.

Do you really think xbox will be in the upswing in the coming months or years? Playstation is completely dominating, its not even close, its a blowout. Its game over in the first inning.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ProtossX

@xhawk27 said:

@ProtossX said:

@xhawk27 said:

@Heil68 said:

omg crap is sony ok?

They might have to sell Naughty Dog soon.

lmao Uncharted 4 coming exclusively to xbox one :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

You know what might drive some sales? Video games, quality ones, exclusives even, be nice if the system got them. Wouldn't really care if they are downloadable or retail.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kuu2

@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Do you really think xbox will be in the upswing in the coming months or years? Playstation is completely dominating, its not even close, its a blowout. Its game over in the first inning.

Yes, I do. The PauperStation selling well =/= The One is doing poorly.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

It's going to take more than one failed console generation for a company as big as Microsoft to bow out of the console manufacturing business but then again I don't expect you to listen to reason as you just seem like a typical fanboy (IE a living, breathing advertisement that doesn't even get payed to do as much...)

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

i think its disastrous for the xbox since its looking like they shipped less, sold less ( no exclusive in the first quarter of note) and made less for every console made because of these price drops.microsoft can absorb the loss, but for how long. the xbox division still hasnt been profitable right?

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ProtossX

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

yah but xbox had a big brand name going into this gen and its like neck and neck with how well the 360 sold which was kinda of a niche brand at that time

don't u think thats strange and i mean like the ps brand was damage an now its the fastest selling console of all time

xbox one should have been more even or atleast be crushing the sales of 360 due to brand name, its just messed so imo it is doing poorly since it had a bigger brand name on the box and didn't increase sale rates

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#23 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

20% down on last year is not great. But I expect there were a lot less 360 sales.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kuu2

@jsmoke03 said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

i think its disastrous for the xbox since its looking like they shipped less, sold less ( no exclusive in the first quarter of note) and made less for every console made because of these price drops.microsoft can absorb the loss, but for how long. the xbox division still hasnt been profitable right?

Sold less of what?

The numbers aren't broken out and whatever numbers you have in your mind are just guesses.

Of course MSoft made less money they cut the price of the console.

Profits and losses don't roll over from one year to the other.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2

@ProtossX said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

yah but xbox had a big brand name going into this gen and its like neck and neck with how well the 360 sold which was kinda of a niche brand at that time

don't u think thats strange and i mean like the ps brand was damage an now its the fastest selling console of all time

xbox one should have been more even or atleast be crushing the sales of 360 due to brand name, its just messed so imo it is doing poorly since it had a bigger brand name on the box and didn't increase sale rates

The PS2 had a much bigger following and look how the PS3 did. The fact that The One is keeping pace with the 36o is a great thing considering how bad of a start it had. The PS3's start was just as bad and it failed miserably to keep up with its predecessor.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61509 Posts

Nice. It was rought out of the gate, but it's a decent system. Hopefully it picks up some more, because It has some upcoming games i''m interested in.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PS4hasNOgames

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@vtoshkatur said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

It's going to take more than one failed console generation for a company as big as Microsoft to bow out of the console manufacturing business but then again I don't expect you to listen to reason as you just seem like a typical fanboy (IE a living, breathing advertisement that doesn't even get payed to do as much...)

lol if you only knew. I'm still an xbox fan, but they are done. they already are distancing themselves from the brand. they can't give them away, everyone knows it struggles to do 720p. they have no exclusives until...i don't know october? I love halo and gears but speaking truthfully, this is the final xbox console.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

You're actually full of shit. Xbox is selling like crazy. Like top 5 fastest selling consoles of all time crazy. If this is the last Xbox then MS are sore losers. Most console manufacturers would only dream of being as successful as Xbox has been. It's only Sony and Nintendo who surpass them success wise.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@vtoshkatur said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

lol if you only knew. I'm still an xbox fan, but they are done. they already are distancing themselves from the brand. they can't give them away, everyone knows it struggles to do 720p. they have no exclusives until...i don't know october? I love halo and gears but speaking truthfully, this is the final xbox console.

This is the dumbest thing i've read all day.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PS4hasNOgames

@bobrossperm said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

You're actually full of shit. Xbox is selling like crazy. Like top 5 fastest selling consoles of all time crazy. If this is the last Xbox then MS are sore losers. Most console manufacturers would only dream of being as successful as Xbox has been. It's only Sony and Nintendo who surpass them success wise.

only sony and nintendo? lol. thats called being in last place buddy. times have changed. it no longer costs $50 to make a console, now its in the hundreds of dollars. With the NX coming out probably next year, and less and less people buying xbox, this gen is a fail. RIP XBOX. 2001-2016

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kuu2

@nutcrackr said:

20% down on last year is not great. But I expect there were a lot less 360 sales.

I think this as well. The unusually long support of the 36o really helped to stem the tide profit wise for MSoft I would imagine. I see this as a transition quarter, as well as the one we are in. Summer and EOY will give us a much better picture on how The One is going to do.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

SHIPPED 1.6 million XBone + 360 combined NOT sold but I think the OP knew that and is just trying to damage control. Not good numbers at all considering they shipped 2 million at this time last year. That's a strong decline when they should be doing better since lems said Halo MCC was a system seller. Either way TLHBO and this is probably the last Xbox console.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kuu2

@quadknight said:

SHIPPED 1.6 million XBone + 360 combined NOT sold but I think the OP knew that and is just trying to damage control. Not good numbers at all considering they shipped 2 million at this time last year. That's a strong decline when they should be doing better since lems said Halo MCC was a system seller. Either way TLHBO and this is probably the last Xbox console.

Man you're dumb.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 QuadKnight

@kuu2: cry more butthurt lem

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@ps4hasnogames said:

@bobrossperm said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

only sony and nintendo? lol. thats called being in last place buddy. times have changed. it no longer costs $50 to make a console, now its in the hundreds of dollars. With the NX coming out probably next year, and less and less people buying xbox, this gen is a fail. RIP XBOX. 2001-2016

You're not getting it. That is in all of time. Xbox dominated last gen. Nintendo weren't even competing and it's safe to say the 360 was the iconic gen 7 console. They beat Sony that gen and with them coming off of PS2, it's a massive feat from MS. They beat Nintendo 2 gens out of the 3 they were in and the one they lost was gen 7, and even then as I said, they achieved iconic status with the 360. PS3 was in it's shadow all gen.

Xbox One will likely surpass the 360 sales. That is a massive success regardless of how many PS4 sells. Xbox brand will remain.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@quadknight said:

SHIPPED 1.6 million XBone + 360 combined NOT sold but I think the OP knew that

well yeah, he says as much in his post

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuadKnight

@lostrib: yea he did but how many people actually read posts on SW? His thread title is intentionally misleading.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Easy fix...make more exclusive games that people want to play, then keep them exclusive.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50587 Posts

Down 400k and still including 360 as well as a reduction in price? Not very heart warming for MS.

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@vtoshkatur said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

Obviously you have no idea how computer hardware really works if you actually think the XB1 struggles at 720p. Both PS4 and XB1 struggle in many areas especially the 60fps mark that both Microsoft and Sony touted so much at the start of this gen but that's what you get when you match semi decent GPU's with Tablet processors.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kuu2

@quadknight said:

@lostrib: yea he did but how many people actually read posts on SW? His thread title is intentionally misleading.

Not only dumb but prideful too. That's a deadly combo, seek help.

There is nothing misleading about the title, you just didn't read anything.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

I don't see this being that much a surprise considering they dropped the console price by $150, and 360 sales are in decline due to new generation and coupled with various other reasons. Its a little over half a mil a month. Not terrible.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ProtossX

ps4 (is competing with 3 juggernauts wiiU/xbone/pc) is the fastest selling console ever surpassing the ps2 (which had zero competition monopoly pretty much)

meanwhile xbone is down 20% from last year and the sales are super slow and durdley

every person i know with a bone has a ps4 as well, retailers i always see less ps4's in stock and the staff told me they couldn't sell xbones easily

stop damage controlling saying these numbers are fine or on target or not terrible

they are terrible this was an emerging market more gamers than ever before and the sales are weaker microsoft isnt doing good marketing an the console isn't selling itself and too many game droughts and fake exclusives that are on pc or other platforms

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

You have no one to blame but the XBox fanbase themselves. Never putting pressure on MS to do more until their backs are utterly against a wall. Were you silent when Bungie was let go? Said nothing when Ensemble closed? Cheered while Rare became a Kinect crap-factory?

Then this is all on you.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PS4hasNOgames

@Shewgenja said:

You have no one to blame but the XBox fanbase themselves. Never putting pressure on MS to do more until their backs are utterly against a wall. Were you silent when Bungie was let go? Said nothing when Ensemble closed? Cheered while Rare became a Kinect crap-factory?

Then this is all on you.

what fanbase? they all switched to ps4.

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

@bobrossperm said:
@ps4hasnogames said:

@kuu2 said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

You're not getting it. That is in all of time. Xbox dominated last gen. Nintendo weren't even competing and it's safe to say the 360 was the iconic gen 7 console. They beat Sony that gen and with them coming off of PS2, it's a massive feat from MS. They beat Nintendo 2 gens out of the 3 they were in and the one they lost was gen 7, and even then as I said, they achieved iconic status with the 360. PS3 was in it's shadow all gen.

Xbox One will likely surpass the 360 sales. That is a massive success regardless of how many PS4 sells. Xbox brand will remain.

Not sure how you determine a win but since this thread is about sales the Wii clearly dominated the 360 and PS3 in sales. The Wii was the Last Gen. winner.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ProtossX

@Shewgenja said:

Then this is all on you.

hell no i spoke out against M$, i knew destiny would be huge bungie has never done no wrong ever ppl follow devs just like people follow big movie directors like christopher nolan PPL FOLLOW THE TALENT not the studios that fund the films microsoft is just the money giver not the talent

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@ProtossX said:

@Shewgenja said:

Then this is all on you.

hell no i spoke out against M$, i knew destiny would be huge bungie has never done no wrong ever ppl follow devs just like people follow big movie directors like christopher nolan PPL FOLLOW THE TALENT not the studios that fund the films microsoft is just the money giver not the talent

You are a rare (if sometimes unintelligible) voice of reason among the lems. I'm talking about the Lemzis who have been spinning in place here for the last 4-5 years hanging on every sound bite like a cheap gotcha from an amateur standup comedian at a smoky bar.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Were you silent when Bungie was let go?

The other stuff is fair game, but this would have been douche move on Microsoft's part.

It's actually cool that when Bungie said "let us buy our freedom" Microsoft let them, as opposed to an Infinity Ward scenario (albeit that one was about not being paid), where the people who made the studio would be unhappy and say **** you, we out. Because that's probably what a lot of the people at Bungie would have done because they were dead set on being an independent developer. More to it considering Bungie's place, they did create a replacement in 343.

The larger issue is that they created a Halo tribute band, and not a new studio who could work on whatever the ****. Beyond that, it would be stupid to bitch about how Microsoft treated Bungie.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

@Shewgenja: Why yes because if the fan base complained Bungie would have stayed. It was Bungie that wanted to leave. Whether we feel their reasons were wrong or right or what have you there was nothing that we as a fan could have done to change that decision. These are business decisions that are made by a board, who work for the owners who are shareholders. They don't work for us.