X1 controller, Wii U Pro, or Dualshock 4 - which is better?

• 94 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll X1 controller, Wii U Pro, or Dualshock 4 - which is better? (148 votes)

X1 controller 42%
Wii U Pro 26%
Dualshock 4 32%

Not gonna lie, SW. In past polls, I chose the Dualshock 4. But having been playing quite a bit of PC and some X1 games lately, I'm starting to like the X1 controller more. Right now, as of today, it's my favorite. I really like the sturdy feel of the controller as well as the triggers. I even got around to liking joysticks. What about you, SW?

• 
Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#51 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts

Used all 3 and it's the Dualshock4 that is easily the best. I can't believe it's not winning this poll by a comfortable margin.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

The DS4 has some problems. It's analog sticks wear away is no time, battery life should be quadrupled, and please make a PS4 controller without the touch pad and light bar and bring back 'Select'.

That said, the analog sticks are very tight on the DS4. Best i've tried yet. And the controller feels great in the hands. If Sony fixes the problems I listed above with a new batch of controllers (preferably with the PS4 slim model), it would be my 100% favored controller this gen.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#53 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Heirren: I can second it, your thumbs are actually resting on the sticks as opposed to the Xbox or DS4 controllers. The only reason people would bash is because it looks unfamiliar.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

How do you make the best controller ever better? Custom build one. I just built this bad boy on Battle Beaver Customs. You can add tension, trigger stops custom graphics etc.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I think the DS4 and X1 controller are equally good.

The WiiU controller on the other hand....

... is easily the best.

That said, I'm a sucker for Sony controllers and use the DS4 more than anything else. So it gets my vote.

@FastRobby said:

@Heirren said:

By just looking at the pictures, the xbox one controllers also looks more high-end, and not fake plastic-y

@King_Dodongo said:

Held all controllers, -Wii U Pro is the winner in my eyes.

I played with all latest controllers besides the wii u controller

Personally I think neither is good but the wii u controller I would probably like for one reason

digital triggers

Analog triggers are useless to me , even in gta, driving games it might be good but for a hardcore gamer like myself it's unneccessary finger strain

at the moment i use this for pc and x360

as you can see it comes in different colors but it's a bit too small for me, i'm waiting for the steam controller right now, but I already thought about buying a wii u , just for that controller

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@commander:

Agreed on the triggers. They're of little use at the moment--that being analog ones. Racing games, sure, but if you are really into that genre it is better to invest in a decent wheel setup.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#57 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@quadknight said:

I prefer the PS4 controller. It uses actual inbuilt rechargable batteries so I don't need to be changing batteries like it's 2005 and the d-pad is great with fighting games (which I play a lot).

If you're in to fighting games you should really invest in one of these. Why make it more difficult for yourself with a gamepad?

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@Heirren said:

@RR360DD said:

Haven't used the Wii U pro controller but the X1 take its easily against the DS4.

Sony tried their best in copying the 360 controller, and yes the DS4 is a huge improvement over the DS3 but it still fails in so many areas. Too many gimmicks shoved in, terrible battery life, its too light and I'm not sure how they've done it but they've managed to make it feel even cheaper than the DS3. I've never been a huge fan of the DS due to its stupid placement of the analogue sticks.

I agree with the exception of it feeling cheap. The DS3 felt like junk. DS4 uses higher quality plastic.

I dunno, maybe its just mine but its molded poorly with jagged edges and it creaks when you put any pressure on it and its still too light. It feels cheap like the Sixaxis felt cheap before sony started making PS3 controllers with rumble.

The dualshock 2 felt solid and sturdy, but I guess those days are long gone.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@Heirren said:

@RR360DD said:

Haven't used the Wii U pro controller but the X1 take its easily against the DS4.

Sony tried their best in copying the 360 controller, and yes the DS4 is a huge improvement over the DS3 but it still fails in so many areas. Too many gimmicks shoved in, terrible battery life, its too light and I'm not sure how they've done it but they've managed to make it feel even cheaper than the DS3. I've never been a huge fan of the DS due to its stupid placement of the analogue sticks.

I agree with the exception of it feeling cheap. The DS3 felt like junk. DS4 uses higher quality plastic.

I dunno, maybe its just mine but its molded poorly with jagged edges and it creaks when you put any pressure on it and its still too light. It feels cheap like the Sixaxis felt cheap before sony started making PS3 controllers with rumble.

and the xbone controller doesn't feel cheap?

its light as feather an the material feels like a toy from toys r us compared to the 360 controller

go back an hold a 360 controller then hold a xbone one which one feels cheaper to you?

the ps4 has a microphone jack the xbone one has to put a block on it an pay 25 dollars to get the same jack

the ps4 has a grip in the back and comes iwth rechargable batteries

yeah no dude u are a lemming u know the xbone controllre feels like crap compared to 360 ps4 is less cheap just based on the free features it has over the bones

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#60 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@quadknight said:

I prefer the PS4 controller. It uses actual inbuilt rechargable batteries so I don't need to be changing batteries like it's 2005 and the d-pad is great with fighting games (which I play a lot).

If you're in to fighting games you should really invest in one of these. Why make it more difficult for yourself with a gamepad?

Because a regular controller has never been that awful to everyone? Crap, there are even Pro's who play well with a controller. Although I'd like an arcade stick one day and I may not be a fighting game expert or pro (despite my favorite Tekken character being recommended for both), but a regular controller has always worked fine for me.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@ProtossX said:

@RR360DD said:

@Heirren said:

@RR360DD said:

its light as feather an the material feels like a toy from toys r us compared to the 360 controller

go back an hold a 360 controller then hold a xbone one which one feels cheaper to you?

the ps4 has a microphone jack the xbone one has to put a block on it an pay 25 dollars to get the same jack

yeah no dude u are a lemming u know the xbone controllre feels like crap compared to 360 ps4 is less cheap just based on the free features it has over the bones

No it doesn't.

I agree, it sucks that X1 controller is lighter than the 360 controller but its still study and well made and its matt plastic is infinitely better than the shinier plastic on the DS4.

The reason it doesn't have a bog standard jack is because it allows for data transfer rates far beyond what the DS4 supports. Audio quality is much better on Xbox than on PS4.

DS4s battery is a joke, so don't even bother bringing that up. The only thing the DS4 is better at is cramming so many gimmicks into one little package.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Wii U Pro Controller >>> Xbox One Controller >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dualshock 4.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I think the DS4 and X1 controller are equally good.

The WiiU controller on the other hand....

... is easily the best.

That said, I'm a sucker for Sony controllers and use the DS4 more than anything else. So it gets my vote.

@Heirren said:

Are we takling about that WiiU controller or the big ipad type thing?

That WiiU controller I've never used but it looks like it would just take some getting used to.

Doesn't look that bad....but that ipad thing...too fucking big.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog:

I figured we were talking about the WiiU Pro (the one in that image) since that's what the OP listed. It's pretty awesome, might be the best gamepad I've ever used. I just stick with the DS line of controllers out of habit at this point and though many others seem to hate it, I think the DS4 is very nice. I consider it a major plus for the PS4 and it's my go to controller for PC gaming as well.

The tablet controller? Eh, it's not bad, but then again I'm only using it with Nintendo exclusives.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

The Dual Shock 4 is a nice upgrade. The triggers feel better, and the the ridges on the sticks really help. However, the ridges rub off suprsingly easy and the removal of analog face buttons is disappointing.

The Wii U pro controller is great, and has the best battery life. Feels good to use, and comfortable. However, the triggers are NOT analog to me that is a huge downside.

The Xbox one controller took a great design and improved it. The nubs on the sticks feel great and don't seem like they are going to rub off. The dpad is usable, and the general quality and feel is top notch. The haptic feedback on the triggers feels really cool, and is a nice touch that puts it over the competition. I do miss the ring around the Xbox Guide button, its a bit of a headache to tell which controller is which player. Also, they are still using standard AA batteries that are going to need replaced often. However, this is offset by the fact that any Micro usb cable can be used to connect to the xbox to play it on the console, or pc allowing its use without any batteries.

Overall the Xbox One controller is the superior build.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

X1 then Wii U.

Avatar image for thecouchpotater
TheCouchPotater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 TheCouchPotater
Member since 2015 • 239 Posts

Thousands of hours were logged on my XBOX 360 controllers, and I am a big fan of the overall design. That said, I had very high hopes for the One's revision of a proven design. There are several issues with the One's controller which puts it behind the 360 in my book. For one, the shoulder buttons are terrible. I understand the idea was to allow pressing of the shoulder buttons without moving from the triggers, but for my particular hands it just doesn't work very well. As well, the sticks are too tall for my taste. What's more, the clicky d-pad is a loser. I would pay good money for a 360/One controller with the d-pad from a 6-button Genesis or Japanese Saturn controller.

The One's controller does have a lot going for it, however. The ability to use standard rechargeable double A batteries is a big plus in my book, as are the overall excellent ergonomics. The off set sticks in particular are more comfortable for longer play sessions, in my experience. In addition, the rumble triggers are a nice refinement that actually add something to the game play experience. Overall a valiant effort at refining an already proven quality design, but hampered by several key mistakes (bumpers, d-pad, sticks) in my opinion.

The PS4's controller is clearly a giant leap forward from the PS3's design. At first I was not overly fond of the Dual Shock 4, but after adjusting my grip (I was quite used to the 360 design) it has really grown on me. I appreciate that the rumble is a bit more subtle, the sticks feel more precise, the d-pad is leagues better than the competition (even better than the one on a Wii U gamepad IMO), the shoulder buttons are excellent, and the face buttons "feel better" than the One's. I even like the "triggers", such as they are, and while they do feel cheap they also feel more responsive (shorter pull perhaps?).

That said, I have a few qualms with the PS4 offering. The battery life is a joke, and having to disassemble the controller to remove/replace said battery only adds insult to injury. As well, the LED, touchpad, and gyroscopes are completely superfluous and add nothing to my game play experience. I would gladly trade all of these "features" for rumble triggers, ala the One. Finally, build quality. The Dual Shock 4 feels cheap, as if I could snap it in half should the nerd rage strike me.

All of this being said, however.. between the PS4 and XBOX One controllers, I prefer the PS4 by a very slim margin. I have not used a Wii U Pro controller, so am not qualified to pass judgement.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Without discussing the other controllers that I didn't choose, as far as the Wii U pro controller goes:

-8th gen Control Sticks in terms of smoothness

-Best D Pad in my opinion on any controller to date

-digital triggers are uncommon but work better for some games

-lightweight

-good battery life

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Xbox One controller for me, although it isn't perfect, it has some disconnection issues.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

DS4

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

@quadknight: I spent $25 on a play and charge kit, I don't buy batteries. Can you even charge the DS4 while you play?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Honestly all three of them are too close together for me to care and I sure I would adapt.. Just liked I adapted to the Xbox360 controller, than to the PS3 controler, than back to the 360 controller.. Seriously gamepad advancements have been at a stand still for a very long time, I am hoping the steam controller changes that and is actually good.. One can hope.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

I thought the d-pad on the Xbox One controller was a lot better since the 360 controller.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts
@Guy_Brohski said:

@quadknight: I spent $25 on a play and charge kit, I don't buy batteries. Can you even charge the DS4 while you play?

Yes of course! I can charge and play anytime you want with the DS4.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@quadknight said:

I play better with a controller. It's always been that way for me.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#76 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

DS4 is by the worst. The analog sticks are mediocre.

If say the Xboxe controller is the best.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Can't really answer since I've only touched the PS4 and Xbone controllers once. I do love the Wii U Pro controller as I think it's Ninty's best they've ever made. Just wish the ZL and ZR were triggers and not buttons.

The tablet controller isn't so bad either but it has its issues like battery and distance from the Wii U. Still I use it a lot especially while I'm laying down on my bed.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#78 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Seabas989: To be honest, for what the Gamepad is doing, 4-5 hours of battery life is quite reasonable. Of course, you can extend it to 8 hours if you are willing to add extra weight to the Gamepad.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Guy_Brohski said:

Yes, you can charge a DS4 while you play... Strange question (?) . Heck, you can also do that with PS3 last gen. I'm guessing you just aren't familiar at all with PS products. Yes, you save $25 on PS3-PS4 not having to buy a play and charge kit. More money that goes towards games or PS+, etc.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By SolidTy
@Pikminmaniac said:

@quadknight said:

$$$$. Someone may have spent hundreds of dollars on fight sticks and don't want to do that every gen.

In my case, the other issue is I have friends come over all the time. So, even when I own a fighting stick, I force them to use a controller to battle me because I'm not going to buy two fighting sticks as that's twice the price. That means, in that scenario, I would want them to have the best Dpad they could have instead of playing with a terrible gimped Dpad.

Sometimes they get angry and notice I keep winning because I have a massive expensive fighting stick and I have them rocking a tiny controller, so to make things fair, I won't always plug the Arcade stick in anyways. That's also a reason to have a great Dpad.

There is some coding out there that has allowed last gen sticks on PS3 to work on PS4, so another reason to wait is to see if that code will be adapted this generation to save $$$.

That Stick you pictured for instance is $200 (http://store.madcatz.com/categories/capcom/Mad-Catz-Ultra-Street-Fighter-IV-Arcade-FightStick-Tournament-Edition-2-for-PS4-PS3.html) and out of stock. I've seen people selling it for $380-$390. It's not a stretch to see why people aren't eager to buy TWO of those in their house as that's the price of a PS4. Just one is half the price of a PS4 that could go towards games or even another console even (For $200, you can buy a New 3DS, 360, Wii U, PS3, Vita, etc).

If you have the money and don't mind buying sticks every generation repeatedly, then sure, buy fighting sticks every gen. If you have people come over and visit as I do, you might want to buy two sticks or be prepared to unplug your stick to keep things fair. I know I used too, I have fighting sticks from SNES to Genesis to Saturn to Dreamcast to PS1 to PS2 to PS3 to Xbox to 360...it just gets expensive.

Some people don't even have a PS4 yet (has the most fighting games so far this gen and Street Fighter 5 incoming), many times because of money, so it's not a stretch to imagine once they finally get a PS4 they aren't eager to buy another expensive fighting stick so fast.

There is a few reasons listed on why a fantastic Dpad is still very crucial....and besides fighting games, a great dpad is great for 2D games of course.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Once you get accustomed to fight sticks it's just so damn hard to go back though. If I must use a controller for a fighting game, it's a USB Sega Saturn pad.

If I can't use one of those two for a fighting game, I simply won't play the game. Not worth it to me.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#82 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@SolidTy: That makes sense. I guess I'm just used to an ecosystem where anyone who's into the genre has a fightstick of their own.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By SolidTy

@Pikminmaniac said:

@SolidTy: That makes sense. I guess I'm just used to an ecosystem where anyone who's into the genre has a fightstick of their own.

Yeah, I do have friends that have sticks last gen, not all friends, but some for sure. It's just not expected they bring it everytime. However, none of them have sticks for my PS4, unfortunately.

I also host a lot of parties with both hardcore gamers and casual gamers and I try to keep everyone happy.

Having a great stick is wonderful, I do agree, but I just wanted to break down why even though I have sticks, I don't always plug them in. Plus, the missus doesn't even let me keep my sticks in the living-room, so I have to go upstairs to the game room to grab them and sometimes I just don't feel I need to when I'm just playing casuals anyways (I'll win either way). Sticks are great for online of course.

I grew up in the arcade, so I'm really at home with a stick (I used to play tourneys and won plenty), but I'm also great with a Dpad after years of SNES/Genesis playing. In fact, sometimes when I'm online late at night in the livingroom before bed, I just use the Dpad and I've beat users and got nasty messages telling me they were using a "shi**y controller and that's why I got lucky". I have laughed and told them I'm using a "sh**y Dpad controller" too. I will say that if I play someone that is as good as me and I'm using a Dpad and they are using a fightstick, they will have an advantage, and in those cases, I'm grabbing my Stick!!!!! :P

I'm just pretty fluent on being able to go back and forth (Dpad and Stick) due to playing with casuals that visit all the time that get intimidated when I pull out a monster stick and hand them an effeminate controller to play SF against me. After a few matches, the party is over and they attribute my victories to my gigantic power stick, lol. "Here comes a New Challenger!" So, I maintained my Dpad skills in those situations. :)

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#84 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts

Dual Shock 4 for me. Wii U Pro's battery life is extremely cool though.

joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts

PS4>xbox360>xbone>wiiu

The xbone controller feels so cheap, i was playing with a friends and it was creaking in my hands and they stuffed the shoulder buttons up big time. They went backwards with the xbone controller.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Damn, doodooshock 4 got crushed by the GOAT controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Once you get accustomed to fight sticks it's just so damn hard to go back though. If I must use a controller for a fighting game, it's a USB Sega Saturn pad.

If I can't use one of those two for a fighting game, I simply won't play the game. Not worth it to me.

There's also just downright more fun to use, imo.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Dualshock 4. I think m$ screwed up the x1 controller this gen

Phreek300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Phreek300
Member since 2007 • 672 Posts

X1, PS4, Pro controller in that order.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Wii U lacking analog triggers hurts it.

I would say the XB1 and DS4 controller are almost at a tie for me, but the XB1's shoulder buttons are a bit wonky, so I guess I'd have to vote for the DS4. I also have to add that my DS4 controllers are modded with XB1 analog sticks.

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

The only controller with a gimmick anyone cares about ... rumble in the triggers ... Xbox one

What do ps4 controllers come with a touch pad and a light

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#92 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Wii U Pro for me. I absolutely love it, second best controller I have ever used. The DS4 is okay to use, my main issues with it is that the analog sticks don't have a very good grip on the stock controller, the light bar is useless in my eyes, and the triggers a little flimsy. Beyond that it is alright. I haven't used the Xbox One controller yet so no opinion.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#93 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34626 Posts

Wii U pro definitely. Dualshock is horrible.

legendofsense

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By legendofsense
Member since 2013 • 320 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@ProtossX said:

@RR360DD said:

@Heirren said:

@RR360DD said:

No it doesn't.

I agree, it sucks that X1 controller is lighter than the 360 controller but its still study and well made and its matt plastic is infinitely better than the shinier plastic on the DS4.

The reason it doesn't have a bog standard jack is because it allows for data transfer rates far beyond what the DS4 supports. Audio quality is much better on Xbox than on PS4.

DS4s battery is a joke, so don't even bother bringing that up. The only thing the DS4 is better at is cramming so many gimmicks into one little package.

My plastic is better than yours! In the end, its just plastic.