WOW! Journey Has Just Been Nominated... For A Grammy!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

So much like guiness and such they are adding in games to try and appeal to todays youth much like ignoring the thief franchise and trying to call mgs 1the first EVER it created the stealth genre game they will ignore every game released before journey that had an amazing soundtrack hell I can pull out some snes and ps1 games that had better sound tracks. whats next a game award catagory much like a metal one back in the 90's where they nominated metallica then gave the award to jethro tull?

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

This is proof that gaming is too mainstream now.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"] Let the shoddy action speak for itself.

Proper music choice can greatly enhance the quality of an action scene. In The Dark Knight Rises case, it combined excellent action with an outstanding score, making it the one of the best action films this year.

Not even close. It combined an over-bearing score with decently shot action. Blaring the music to nearly burst your ear drums doesn't make the action more coherent.

I did not feel it was overbearing. I felt it fit the movie perfectly. To each their own though I suppose.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.

But Hams Zimmer is awful. John Williams, on the other hand...
Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#105 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Hans Zimmer did the Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack which is far better. After the movie I immediately bought the OST since it was so good. Ex. The Fire Rises

BPoole96

meh

Zimmer has done way better than that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.DarkLink77

Yeah, the guy that has the most Oscars in the soundtrack department is awefull. Its just the cool thing for the "old" people to hate on Zimmer and kiss Williams a**. I like both but Hans is in a whole other level. Rare are the films where he made a forgetable ost. Williams on the other hand... *cough* war horse *cough* war of the worlds *cough* etc etc

Most hating on zimmer while being all over Williams are just "old" pretentious wanna be hipsters. Williams made good soundtracks, but he's unbalanced. Zimmer has more or less made only great ost imo

Hell, I would even say Williams is only good at making catchy tunes, more then good soundtracks

"Many people like this guy? Let me find a old school one to bash the new, popular one", right here folks

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 FireSpirit117
Member since 2012 • 1926 Posts
First VGA GOTY, and now the freakin' Grammys? Granted its not going to win either of those, but are you kidding me? :|
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.

is also awful
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
First VGA GOTY, and now the freakin' Grammys? Granted its not going to win either of those, but are you kidding me? :|FireSpirit117
u mad?
sandbox3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 sandbox3d
Member since 2010 • 5166 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Hotline Miami's OST >>>>> this trash

mems_1224

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 FireSpirit117
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]First VGA GOTY, and now the freakin' Grammys? Granted its not going to win either of those, but are you kidding me? :|kuraimen
u mad?

Mildly confused, but not mad.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 themajormayor
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]First VGA GOTY, and now the freakin' Grammys? Granted its not going to win either of those, but are you kidding me? :|FireSpirit117
u mad?

Seems like you're mad
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#113 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]what the hell is with all the bioware games discussion? How did it even show up in this thread?Sagem28

Texasgoldrush happened.

No, Biohaters happened.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] u mad?

Seems like you're mad

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, he mad
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#115 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="Sagem28"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]what the hell is with all the bioware games discussion? How did it even show up in this thread?texasgoldrush

Texasgoldrush happened.

No, Biohaters happened.

You were the one that brought ME3 into this thread as usual,even though this hasn´t anything to do with it,you can´t make on freaking post in this forum without sucking up to bioware in one way or another.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Mildly confused, but not mad.Chris_Williams
Seems like you're mad

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, he mad

he-really-mad.jpg

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.

he wouldn't be where he is if he was awful.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Hotline Miami's OST >>>>> this trash

BPoole96

Meta states otherwise

Ask me if I care

Do you care?
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.BrunoBRS

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Hans Zimmer did the Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack which is far better. After the movie I immediately bought the OST since it was so good. Ex. The Fire Rises

Vatusus

meh

Zimmer has done way better than that

He has definitely done better but he remains to be consistently good on anything he works on
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Meeeper282"]

Meta states otherwise

danjammer69

Ask me if I care

Do you care?

Nope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But Hams Zimmer is awful. John Williams, on the other hand...sammyjenkis898

Have those won several oscars?

I dont even know who those are

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] But Hams Zimmer is awful. John Williams, on the other hand...sammyjenkis898

you fail to notice something:

those people, whoever they are, have an audience. and it's only that audience that lets them be successful (if they are at all).

zimmer, on the other hand, is an extremely well respected musician with a curriculum that many would kill to have. he's worked on a plethora of different movies of different genres and with different target audiences, and he's been successful in most, if not all, of his endeavors.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 sammyjenkis898

you fail to notice something:

those people, whoever they are, have an audience. and it's only that audience that lets them be successful (if they are at all).

zimmer, on the other hand, is an extremely well respected musician with a curriculum that many would kill to have. he's worked on a plethora of different movies of different genres and with different target audiences, and he's been successful in most, if not all, of his endeavors.

BrunoBRS

I didn't miss anything. You said he wouldn't be where he is if he were awful, which, as I just showed you, is false.

Zimmer has been repeating himself for years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

sammyjenkis898

I never understood this... what?

Inception "Time" sounds the same as "Chevalier de Sangreal" of The DaVinci Code?

Gladiator "Now we are Free" sounds the same as "Injection" of MI:2?

Are you f*ckin kidding me? Hell, HZ made a random love scene in MI:2 looking awesome only with his music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iAzdbg3mo&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BcO6xKYbticp1u5ufzfnA-

Face it. The guy has definitely talent. He's another case of "too popular" for its own good. If anything John Williams is overrated for making a couple of catchy tunes for old school movies

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#127 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14899 Posts
[QUOTE="texasgoldrush"][QUOTE="Sagem28"]

Texasgoldrush happened.

MrYaotubo
No, Biohaters happened.

You were the one that brought ME3 into this thread as usual,even though this hasn´t anything to do with it,you can´t make on freaking post in this forum without sucking up to bioware in one way or another.

and yet, ME3's score can also be thought of as one of the years best.....Clint Mansell did some of the tracks. But I said by the Grammy rules, the OST release, where they go by is lacking and Journey should get the nom it deserves.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you fail to notice something:

sammyjenkis898

I didn't miss anything. You said he wouldn't be where he is if he were awful, which, as I just showed you, is false.

you showed me two pictures of people i've never seen before. and i explained to you, being rich =/= being a respected member of the industry with a killer curriculum.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you fail to notice something:

BrunoBRS

you showed me two pictures of people i've never seen before. and i explained to you, being rich =/= being a respected member of the industry with a killer curriculum.

Not my fault you didn't recognize them.

Oh, I most definitely agree with that. The problem is that wasn't what you originally stated, hence my first response.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 sammyjenkis898

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

Vatusus

I never understood this... what?

Inception "Time" sounds the same as "Chevalier de Sangreal" of The DaVinci Code?

Gladiator "Now we are Free" sounds the same as "Injection" of MI:2?

Are you f*ckin kidding me? Hell, HZ made a random love scene in MI:2 looking awesome only with his music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iAzdbg3mo&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BcO6xKYbticp1u5ufzfnA-

Face it. The guy has definitely talent. He's another case of "too popular" for its own good. If anything John Williams is overrated for making a couple of catchy tunes for old school movies

Did I say he doesn't have talent? Hell no. I can't stand his work for Nolan's Batman films, the Inception score is redundant, and his work in Sherlock Holmes just sucks. I don't see how you can't listen to his recent work and come to the conclusion that the guy delivers like he used to.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

sammyjenkis898

Not my fault you didn't recognize them.

Oh, I most definitely agree with that. The problem is that wasn't what you originally stated, hence my first response.

Well if you want to give examples of critically acclaimed famous people that don't deserve their status in the industry, you better choose people that are actually famous. It's almost as if i'm the dumb one for not knowing stupid famous people. And that's exactly what i originally said. You don't get where zimmer is by being awful, and those people definitely aren't where zimmer is.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#132 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Let's be honest here....Journey's soundtrack is probably way better than most of the $#!+ music that's played now a days.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 sammyjenkis898

Well if you want to give examples of critically acclaimed famous people that don't deserve their status in the industry, you better choose people that are actually famous. It's almost as if i'm the dumb one for not knowing stupid famous people. And that's exactly what i originally said. You don't get where zimmer is by being awful, and those people definitely aren't where zimmer is.BrunoBRS

This:

he wouldn't be where he is if he was awful.BrunoBRS
Doesn't equal this:
, is an extremely well respected musician with a curriculum that many would kill to have. he's worked on a plethora of different movies of different genres and with different target audiences, and he's been successful in most, if not all, of his endeavors.BrunoBRS

All you needed to do was to elaborate, because what I got from your awfully simplistc statement was that he didn't get to where he is (fame) if he was awful.

Anyways, we're straying away from the subject at hand. I think he's repeitive bore, you don't. Seems like a good note to end this discussion.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#134 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QU

i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.BrunoBRS
You do realize Civilization 4's baba yetu won a grammy right?

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 BrunoBRS

[QU[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] You do realize Civilization 4's baba yetu won a grammy right?

cain006

[QU[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.cain006

You do realize Civilization 4's baba yetu won a grammy right?

Yes, i do. Not only is it written in the OP, but i've already addressed it in another post after the one you quoted. The short version is: it's not because it isn't the first one that it's any less important.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 BrunoBRS

Anyways, we're straying away from the subject at hand. I think he's repeitive bore, you don't. Seems like a good note to end this discussion.

sammyjenkis898
We were talking about prestige, it was implied that i was referencing his prestige. And i never actually mentioned my opinion on zimmer. I was merely pointing out that calling him awful and diminishing journey's achievement through that, is stupid and wrong, regardless of taste. It would be like calling miyamoto a bad game designer because you're not a fan of his games.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#137 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

BrunoBRS

We were talking about prestige, it was implied that i was referencing his prestige. And i never actually mentioned my opinion on zimmer. I was merely pointing out that calling him awful and diminishing journey's achievement through that, is stupid and wrong, regardless of taste. It would be like calling miyamoto a bad game designer because you're not a fan of his games.

That's System Wars in a nutshell, though, sadly.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#138 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

That's a pleasant surprise, but not only does it not stand a chance in winning, Grammies have always been irrelevant.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#139 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

So much like guiness and such they are adding in games to try and appeal to todays youth much like ignoring the thief franchise and trying to call mgs 1the first EVER it created the stealth genre game they will ignore every game released before journey that had an amazing soundtrack hell I can pull out some snes and ps1 games that had better sound tracks. whats next a game award catagory much like a metal one back in the 90's where they nominated metallica then gave the award to jethro tull?

WilliamRLBaker
Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

ms555
Cant disagree tho, the chanting themes of dark knight rises are incredible. I also love hans zimmerns work in inception ALOT

I thought you made a mistake in the spelling in the OP but I guess not. Its Hans Zimmer. No N at the end.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#141 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Vatusus

Like the Oscars aren't capable of completely f*cking up: Crash

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

BrunoBRS

We weren't talking about prestige. You quoted someone that claimed Zimmer is awful, then you said he wouldn't be where he was if was awful.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 BPoole96

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

jg4xchamp

Like the Oscars aren't capable of completely f*cking up: Crash

What's wrong with Crash? It's probably not deserving of an Oscar but it was a pretty good movie
FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 FireSpirit117
Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 BrunoBRS
Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?FireSpirit117
probably more a case of "they didn't pay attention to it before". and i don't think they'd consider MIDI samples.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 BPoole96
Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?FireSpirit117
Exactly, there have been several great OSTs this gen. How come all of a sudden Journey is gettin Grammy noms but no other game has even been considered?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?BPoole96
Exactly, there have been several great OSTs this gen. How come all of a sudden Journey is gettin Grammy noms but no other game has even been considered?

refer to my post. journey's nomination (and prior to that, civ IV's) is a step forward in acceptance of gaming as a respectable entertainment medium. it's not that the games before didn't deserve it, it's that the people in charge of such things didn't even consider having game music as a candidate.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 themajormayor
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?BrunoBRS

refer to my post. journey's nomination (and prior to that, civ IV's) is a step forward in acceptance of gaming as a respectable entertainment medium. it's not that the games before didn't deserve it, it's that the people in charge of such things didn't even consider having game music as a candidate.

Which is messed up considering Game music>>>>>>>>>>>>Film music, most of the time.
Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#149 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
For all the praise Journey gets I actually liked Flower much better.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#150 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Journey Domination Continuation