WOW! Journey Has Just Been Nominated... For A Grammy!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?BrunoBRS
Exactly, there have been several great OSTs this gen. How come all of a sudden Journey is gettin Grammy noms but no other game has even been considered?

refer to my post. journey's nomination (and prior to that, civ IV's) is a step forward in acceptance of gaming as a respectable entertainment medium. it's not that the games before didn't deserve it, it's that the people in charge of such things didn't even consider having game music as a candidate.

Well they should have looked harder. Hotline Miami has a superior soundtrack that literally makes the game come together and if Mass Effect 3's OST is anywhere near as good as Mass Effect 2's, that would have been another good nomination.
#152 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?BPoole96
Exactly, there have been several great OSTs this gen. How come all of a sudden Journey is gettin Grammy noms but no other game has even been considered?

Cus the soundtrack for Journey is actually more similar to a professional movie score than most games. With the exception of like mass effect and halo. But even with that being the case, Journey soundtrack is on another level. If you want to understand, get a pair of good headphones, go on youtube, and play the song Apotheosis or I Was Born For This. listen to the whole song. Put ur volume way up.....If you do not get goosebumps from those two songs u probably dont have a soul haha Its crucial u listen to the songs from beginning to end. They really build up! And by the end of both songs the music will climax and u will understand what makes Journeys music so amazing that even nongamers ( the Grammy judges) are putting it among the ranks of john williams and hans zimmern
#153 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]i think some people here aren't getting the real implications of this nomination. No, it likely won't win, given the strong competition, but the mere fact that it's been nominated that matters. Think about it. A videogame, formerly an activity considered exclusive to sweaty, socially inept fat kids (and it's still considered so by a few), is being put on equal footing to Hans Zimmer to win a famous, well respected international art award. And it's not just any game. It's a highly praised, well received game from this very year. Journey's nomination is a sign of the industry's growth, not just monetarily, but as a respected mainstream entertainment medium and, why not, as a recognized art form.Vatusus

But Hams Zimmer is awful. John Williams, on the other hand...

Yeah, the guy that has the most Oscars in the soundtrack department is awefull. Its just the cool thing for the "old" people to hate on Zimmer and kiss Williams a**. I like both but Hans is in a whole other level. Rare are the films where he made a forgetable ost. Williams on the other hand... *cough* war horse *cough* war of the worlds *cough* etc etc

Most hating on zimmer while being all over Williams are just "old" pretentious wanna be hipsters. Williams made good soundtracks, but he's unbalanced. Zimmer has more or less made only great ost imo

Hell, I would even say Williams is only good at making catchy tunes, more then good soundtracks

"Many people like this guy? Let me find a old school one to bash the new, popular one", right here folks

It has little to do with being a hipster and much more to do with the fact that Hans Zimmer's work has never impressed me. Williams, on the other hand, has impressed me multiple times.
#154 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?ms555

Cus the soundtrack for Journey is actually more similar to a professional movie score than most games. With the exception of like mass effect and halo. But even with that being the case, Journey soundtrack is on another level. If you want to understand, get a pair of good headphones, go on youtube, and play the song Apotheosis or I Was Born For This. listen to the whole song. Put ur volume way up.....If you do not get goosebumps from those two songs u probably dont have a soul haha Its crucial u listen to the songs from beginning to end. They really build up! And by the end of both songs the music will climax and u will understand what makes Journeys music so amazing that even nongamers ( the Grammy judges) are putting it among the ranks of john williams and hans zimmern

I actually listened to Apotheosis yesterday on my Sennheiser headset I use for my PC and when I compare it to the true classical music (Debussy, Beethoven, Bach, Haydn, etc) it just doesn't compare. It's not bad, but it has nothing on anything any of those composers created.
#155 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3159 posts) -

Yeah, the guy that has the most Oscars in the soundtrack department is awefull.

Vatusus

Hans Zimmer has one Academy Award, where Williams has five.

If you're gonna make a case, try not to be wrong, eh?

#156 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

drinkerofjuice

:lol:

Oh, mooksi, you wonderful bastard.

Williams is also the second-most nominated person in the history of the Academy Awards (47 times) after Walt Disney.

#157 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?ms555

That Kool-Aid must taste really good. There are many, many games with far better soundtracks than Journey that never got nominated for a Grammy. Thankfully, Grammies are meaningless in this day and age, so getting nominated means nothing.
#158 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ms555"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Exactly, there have been several great OSTs this gen. How come all of a sudden Journey is gettin Grammy noms but no other game has even been considered?

That Kool-Aid must taste really good. There are many, many games with far better soundtracks than Journey that never got nominated for a Grammy. Thankfully, Grammies are meaningless in this day and age, so getting nominated means nothing.

Koolaid?! Im more of a hawaiin punch guy. And idk what to even make of what ur saying. U just come across as a contrarian hipster, im sorry. That u dont take the Grammies seriously doesnt mean its not a tremendous honor for all the people that get nominated for them. Idk why theres this group of people such as urself that have such a grudge against people getting together and judging the quality of services or products. That its foolish to trust the Oscars, the Grammies, the VGAs, IGN, etc. WHY?! Does it make you feel like a stronger, more independent person because u scoff at people that take critics and judges seriously in entertainment mediums? Obviously u only criticized the grammies in ur post, but way too often i see all these system wars posters who just laugh at the idea of taking ANY awards shows are critical responses seriously. Drives me nuts, its so silly.
#159 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Impressive and good news.

Hotline Miami's OST >>>>> this trash

BPoole96
Polar opposites and Hotline doesn't have an original OST - few original songs in there made specifically for the game. Saying that as someone who went out and bought album's recommended by Cactus, including a couple from Hotline. Dude has a really good taste in music.

I play sales also and journey is the highest selling PSN game of all time

So sales and reviews have shown that journey is infact the better game.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-journey-is-the-best-selling-psn-game-of-all-time--228743.phtml

Meeeper282
Sales are indicative of sales. Metacritic is indicative of metacritic. None of it is outright indicative of 'quality' or what's 'better', which are nebulous terms in themselves. And they're talking about soundtracks. It still surprises me people try and use this kind of argument to make a (bad) point.
#160 Posted by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -
Even without Steve Perry!? I knew the sound alike they found on youtube was good, but man that's impressive. Cool somebody got a music thread up on SW, it's a nice change of pace so I jumped in without reading the OP, hope there's no egg on my face.
#161 Posted by illmatic87 (15087 posts) -
[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?BPoole96

idk. Politics.
#162 Posted by madsnakehhh (14048 posts) -

Journey has one of the best soundtrack ever created so is not a surprise, Apotheosis is just in a whole different level when it comes to Video Game Soundtrack.

#163 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]Don't get me wrong. Journey's soundtrack is good and all, but why IT? What was so special about Journey's soundtrack to make it stand out from all the other game soundtracks through the years to get recognized by the Grammies?illmatic87

idk. Politics.

Because it's an arthouse game, and it's a lot easier to nominate the soundtrack from an arthouse game at the Grammies than, say, the soundtrack from Halo 3.

#164 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4727 posts) -

Well, if any game deserved it, it was Journey.

#165 Posted by illmatic87 (15087 posts) -

journey's nomination (and prior to that, civ IV's) is a step forward in acceptance of gaming as a respectable entertainment medium.BrunoBRS
Videogames dont need an award ceremony to progress the acceptance of videogames as a respectable medium. And it's the Grammys, for the most part, it's an outdated ceremony that cannot even keep up with the music industry's digitized, self-sufficient and independent structure.

If im honest, we shouldn't really have to care about acceptance/legitimacy of the medium to begin with. Doing so actually seems disrespectful to the existing developers that are trying to create such experiences for us, like as if their efforts are useless without a perceptive pat on the back from outside sources. If anything, such acceptance will eventually happen in due time, when generations shift and come of age.

-

But I think this is alot more simple as it gets, as far as I am aware I'd think that Sony's heavy involvement in the music industry has led to making this happen. I am not accusing Sony of shenanigans--they have every right to send it through the pool of potential Grammy nominees, since the OST that the composer assembled is genuinely great.

#166 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12788 posts) -
#167 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -

Obligatory

Slow_Show

Mad late with that sh1t liquid, mad late.

#168 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12788 posts) -

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]

Zimmer has been repeating himself for years.

Vatusus

I never understood this... what?

Inception "Time" sounds the same as "Chevalier de Sangreal" of The DaVinci Code?

Gladiator "Now we are Free" sounds the same as "Injection" of MI:2?

Are you f*ckin kidding me? Hell, HZ made a random love scene in MI:2 looking awesome only with his music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3iAzdbg3mo&playnext=1&list=AL94UKMTqg-9BcO6xKYbticp1u5ufzfnA-

Face it. The guy has definitely talent. He's another case of "too popular" for its own good. If anything John Williams is overrated for making a couple of catchy tunes for old school movies

No, Zimmer does not have as much talent as the circle jerkers think he has. Rumour has it the dude simply hums something, then gets his production team to compose whatever he hums around it. His music actually feels very similar to Michael Jackson's self-produced songs, who never learnt music himself, but felt his way through most of it. MJ's self-produced tracks were never as versatile as Quincy Jones, who was trained in cIassical and jazz. And let's not get silly with comparing him to John Williams. John Williams actually exercises his knowledge of music theory. Zimmer is essentially an offshoot of Tangerine Dream, except with an unfortunate streak of unnecessary pretension.
#169 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

Because it's an arthouse game, and it's a lot easier to nominate the soundtrack from an arthouse game at the Grammies than, say, the soundtrack from Halo 3.

DarkLink77

Yes, because if there's one thing the Grammy's stand for, it's a deep love of art-house and indie aesthetics. :P

If I had to venture a guess, I'd put a fair bit of weight behind Sony being one of the three remaining major labels (that and, well, it is a pretty great soundtrack).

#170 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Slow_Show

Yes, because if there's one thing the Grammy's stand for, it's a deep love of art-house and indie aesthetics.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd put a fair bit of weight behind Sony being one of the three remaining major labels (that and, well, it is a pretty great soundtrack).

Not in normal music, but in music from video games I'll wager that makes a difference.

Though the whole Sony thing probably didn't hurt.

#171 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
TCHBO
#172 Posted by Slow_Show (2153 posts) -

Not in normal music, but in music from video games I'll wager that makes a difference.

DarkLink77

I just don't get how you can get from "these people think Halo/gaming is too low brow" to "these people care enough about gaming soundtracks that a necessarily somewhat-obscure title could pick up enough votes to be nominated", as opposed to Sony just realizing they had a pretty great soundtrack on their hands (and not a ton of Sony Picture's plate, unless I'm missing something) and saying why not?

#173 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Slow_Show

I just don't get how you can get from "these people think Halo/gaming is too low brow" to "these people care enough about gaming soundtracks that a necessarily somewhat-obscure title could pick up enough votes to be nominated", as opposed to Sony just realizing they had a pretty great soundtrack on their hands (and not a ton of Sony Picture's plate, unless I'm missing something) and saying why not?

Because I'm a cynical bastard who hates arthouse game on principle. :P

Well, that and the belief that Journey's soundtrack ain't that special, so there must be something more behind the nomination. Though the Sony thing is far more likely. I forgot that they have a record label.

#174 Posted by Blazerdt47 (5661 posts) -

Man this game is getting praise from every corner. I really need to play it. That's impressive.

#175 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

Man this game is getting praise from every corner. I really need to play it. That's impressive.

Blazerdt47

Listen to this as you look at the picture below. You are now "playing" Journey. I just saved you $15 and 90 minutes of your time. You're welcome.

orange-screen.jpg

#176 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -

Because I'm a cynical bastard who hates good and actually interesting games on principle. :P

DarkLink77

Had to make some proper corrections.

#177 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Because I'm a cynical bastard who hates good and actually interesting games on principle. :P

jg4xchamp

Oh, please. :roll:
#178 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

tumblr_mbnlx2wrdy1r3i5of.gif

#179 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Had to make some proper corrections.

jg4xchamp

Not even. It just strikes me as incredibly pretentious without the gameplay to back it up, like, say, Braid. Props on the gif, though.
#180 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -

What is pretentious about Journey?

And yeah I'm thinking about getting Legend to make me a Justified sig. Timmy O has some funny gifs I could use.

#181 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

And yeah I'm thinking about getting Legend to make me a Justified sig. Timmy O has some funny gifs I could use.

jg4xchamp

What isn't pretentious about Journey? :P

I dunno, it could be I'm annoyed by the hyperbole.

And you should. By the way, you can change your display names back now. Bet's over.

You still owe me a thread, though.

#182 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

DarkLink77
What isn't pretentious about Journey? :P I dunno, it could be I'm annoyed by the hyperbole. And you should.

Nothing really. Game doesn't speak, and is more I don't know joyful. I mean I don't see what about the game would be pretentious. It doesn't try to beat over the players skull some dark message its trying to convey as much as it's just really f*cking pretty.
#183 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -

By the way, you can change your display names back now. Bet's over.

DarkLink77

Already done. But yes, you actually never gave me your thread idea.

I still have to do blue hazys, charizards, snipes, and i think someone elses. Mastershake should have to make a thread of our choosing for the choke artistery he displayed this past month.

#184 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

jg4xchamp
What isn't pretentious about Journey? :P I dunno, it could be I'm annoyed by the hyperbole. And you should.

Nothing really. Game doesn't speak, and is more I don't know joyful. I mean I don't see what about the game would be pretentious. It doesn't try to beat over the players skull some dark message its trying to convey as much as it's just really f*cking pretty.

That's fair. I guess it just irks me that it's getting so much praise for doing so little.
#185 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

By the way, you can change your display names back now. Bet's over.

jg4xchamp

Already done. But yes, you actually never gave me your thread idea.

I still have to do blue hazys, charizards, snipes, and i think someone elses. Mastershake should have to make a thread of our choosing for the choke artistery he displayed this past month.

I should have one for you soon. Finals month, bro.

And yeah, he probably should have. He pulled a Peyton Manning in the playoffs. :P

#186 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12788 posts) -

jg4xchamp
I take it Justified is good then. Just watched Hitman the other day, mainly for Olga Kurylenko, but did a search of Timothy Olyphant.
#187 Posted by jg4xchamp (46997 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

FrozenLiquid
I take it Justified is good then. Just watched Hitman the other day, mainly for Olga Kurylenko, but did a search of Timothy Olyphant.

Justified is pretty good. Timmy O is legit. I got into Justified after I saw how awesome he was on DeadWood
#188 Posted by lulmont (670 posts) -

I came into this thread thinking what does Journey the band have anything to do with video games ha.

#189 Posted by kuraimen (28078 posts) -

Blazerdt47
It's also creating copious amounts of butthurt and jelly which means it's twice as good
#190 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20486 posts) -

[QUOTE="ms555"]This isnt the first time a game got nominated for a Grammy, but what a beauty it is that Journey gets this recognition. Journey will be competing against the likes of Hans Zimmern amd John Williams for Best Original Score at the Grammy Awards. If any of you havent heard the Journey soundtrack yet, listen to the Journey OST song called Apotheosis. It is literally one of the most beautiful songs a game has ever had Here is your link if u really need it : http://www.gamespot.com/news/journey-soundtrack-nominated-for-grammy-award-6401149clyde46

Journey hasnt got a hope in hell.

I know right? lol. Zimmerman is a BOSS!
#191 Posted by ms555 (2660 posts) -

Journey has one of the best soundtrack ever created so is not a surprise, Apotheosis is just in a whole different level when it comes to Video Game Soundtrack.

madsnakehhh
Exactly. I really wish some of the journey haters would just listen to Apotheosis from beginning to end with some headphones. Once u listen to that song fully anyone should understand its grammy nomination. And if even then they doubt, then they need to listen to I Was Born For This, which is equally such a beautiful moving song The people that are trying to say things like "hundreds of other games have better sondtracks", they have no idea what they are talkimg about. The journey soundtrack is on another level Other game soundtracks can be very good. But when u listen to them, u can often tell they are for a video game. With the exception of maybe some of the deus ex songs and halo songs. But even for deus ex hr and halo, the songs are often made to be the background for action. But Journeys soundtrack doesnt sound like its for a game, it transcends its product's own genre. It could equally be beautiful if its music was used for ANYTHING. And thats part of the reason why the Grammy judges ignored the "video game stigma" and gave journey a nomination hundreds of other soundtracks could have taken.
#192 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5540 posts) -

Hans Zimmer did the Dark Knight Rises Soundtrack which is far better. After the movie I immediately bought the OST since it was so good. Ex. The Fire Rises

BPoole96
he's German,German ist Masterrace.
#193 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]journey's nomination (and prior to that, civ IV's) is a step forward in acceptance of gaming as a respectable entertainment medium.illmatic87

Videogames dont need an award ceremony to progress the acceptance of videogames as a respectable medium. And it's the Grammys, for the most part, it's an outdated ceremony that cannot even keep up with the music industry's digitized, self-sufficient and independent structure.

If im honest, we shouldn't really have to care about acceptance/legitimacy of the medium to begin with. Doing so actually seems disrespectful to the existing developers that are trying to create such experiences for us, like as if their efforts are useless without a perceptive pat on the back from outside sources. If anything, such acceptance will eventually happen in due time, when generations shift and come of age.

-

But I think this is alot more simple as it gets, as far as I am aware I'd think that Sony's heavy involvement in the music industry has led to making this happen. I am not accusing Sony of shenanigans--they have every right to send it through the pool of potential Grammy nominees, since the OST that the composer assembled is genuinely great.

no, we should. the acceptance of the medium (or the lack of thereof) is exactly what kept you australians from having an R18 rating, or which motivates other stupid laws and anti-games campaigns. improving the acceptance also removes the stigma that, believe it or not, many game developers (aspiring and existing ones) suffer, or even just kids that want to play games and their parents won't let them because they heard on the news how harmful they can be. more importantly, this growing acceptance is not harmful for gamers, as it won't interfere with their gaming experiences, but opening the eyes of more people to the joys of the industry, sharing the fun you have when playing games with people that didn't even consider games before, is quite something, and people shouldn't be afraid of it. i often see on SW people with this retrograde thought of "new gamers are tainting my games", and that's an awful thing to say, because it stagnates and poisons the industry (if they actually had it their way). and last but not least, the grammies might be dated and old fashioned (and obsessed with cold play), but it's still a very major award. things have to start somewhere. it's still a step forward, even if you try to diminish it.
#194 Posted by BrunoBRS (73259 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] What isn't pretentious about Journey? :P I dunno, it could be I'm annoyed by the hyperbole. And you should. DarkLink77

That's fair. I guess it just irks me that it's getting so much praise for doing so little.

sometimes less is more. a soothing game experience that doesn't feel like it should be doing something to keep your attention on them, with a great art direction and soundtrack... how many games do that every year?

sometimes the most creative things are the ones that are very small. and being small and minimalistic was always journey's focus.

#195 Posted by santoron (7623 posts) -

1973200_o.gif

Srsly, no one gives a $%^& about Grammys...

#196 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

Wow! This is what I mean. Cows need to look at the brightside of things. You guys could get a grammy. Incredible.

#197 Posted by Vatusus (4343 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

drinkerofjuice

yeah, you're right. I was confusing the number of wins with the number of nominations (and yes, Williams still has the upper hand on those, but then again, he has been in the movie industry for way longer than zimmer)

#198 Posted by Vatusus (4343 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Oh, please. :roll:DarkLink77

Not even. It just strikes me as incredibly pretentious without the gameplay to back it up, like, say, Braid. Props on the gif, though.

I actually find it ironic when you call something pretentious when you're one of the most pretentious users on this forums.

#199 Posted by Vatusus (4343 posts) -

jg4xchamp

Dont you know? Anything that dares to be different is "pretentious" in the mind of pretentious people

#200 Posted by DarkLink77 (31686 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] tumblr_mbnlx2wrdy1r3i5of.gif

Vatusus

I actually find it ironic when you call something pretentious when you're one of the most pretentious users on this forums.

what.