Windows 10 Will Release July 29th, Reservation Available

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#51 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@demacabre: fuuuuuck, I totally want the Witcher 3 on PC to see it on Ultra, but that would mean I have to buy it as opposed to the free PS4 version I can borrow from a library. You're killing me here :(

Yo I've been trying to find reviews on this particular laptop ever since I saw that price all day. If it's not too big of an issue, could you tell me how it's like, how's the bulk, how's the heat and frame rates for various games like?

demacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By demacabre
Member since 2015 • 361 Posts

@Blabadon Good questions. The special that was going on, input from my hardcore pc friends, and the reviews from new egg is what sold me. Here the direct link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152666

It's a little heavy but I rarely am playing it on my lap directly. (One review claims its a little heavy but didn't feel like it). It's not too massive at all. I really have not issues with the heat, it seems to run pretty cool as far as other brands go.

As for the framerates on games, I have yet to formally clock them. I can say with the Wichter on absolute Ultra with all the bells and whistles takes a little bit of a hit, but if you are coming from console it's not even noticeable. On less graphic intensive games, it's how the hermits say... smooth as silk.

Don't feel too bad about playing the Witcher on PS4. Like I said, it came with the laptop as part of a promotional. I am finding that my 360 controller is very slightly but noticeably delayed in responsive time on the laptop. I think that's more of an issue of me not updating drivers.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Dammit....my PC is indisposed atm.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@demacabre said:

@Blabadon Good questions. The special that was going on, input from my hardcore pc friends, and the reviews from new egg is what sold me. Here the direct link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152666

It's a little heavy but I rarely am playing it on my lap directly. (One review claims its a little heavy but didn't feel like it). It's not too massive at all. I really have not issues with the heat, it seems to run pretty cool as far as other brands go.

As for the framerates on games, I have yet to formally clock them. I can say with the Wichter on absolute Ultra with all the bells and whistles takes a little bit of a hit, but if you are coming from console it's not even noticeable. On less graphic intensive games, it's how the hermits say... smooth as silk.

Don't feel too bad about playing the Witcher on PS4. Like I said, it came with the laptop as part of a promotional. I am finding that my 360 controller is very slightly but noticeably delayed in responsive time on the laptop. I think that's more of an issue of me not updating drivers.

Man, I loved reading this. Good shit, and thanks a bunch yo.

If you feel, add me on Steam (Blazikener), I might chat you down the line. Thanks again bud.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Reserved!

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@emil_fontz said:

Why does Microsoft keep releasing new versions of Windows instead of patching/ fixing versions that already exist?

Well for starters they do patch and fix older versions.

Obviously though you can only patch something so far... windows 10 is a rework of windows 8.

It would be more fair to say that Win10 is a rework of Win7 (the successor that Win7 should have had) which finds more unobtrusive ways to incorporate some of Win8's elements, like relegating the metro interface to the Start Menu.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@ProtossX said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@ProtossX said:
@lostrib said:

@PonchoTaco: it's not a subscription

something can start out free and switch down the line business do that stuff all the time

Dude shut up, Windows 10 isn't going to cut me off when I go on the internet and sya now all of a sudden I need a subscription.

like i said dude i don't need it, its not my thing, i don't like the look of it, if your thing thats fine do your thing ill do my thing

im just saying years out you can't unlimited work on a OS like windows 10 and make no money

so if people aren't buying the apps or using the windows 10 thats productive they will have to have subscription or a price on it people can't work for free tiger this isn't a hand out

if people aren't paying money to microsoft for windows 10 people can't work on windows 10 period

The idea is to keep windows completely relavent,

To combat steam machines they need dx12 to have a high enough adoption rate that dev's use it.

They need business's to adopt their OS to make their productivity tools more important, and a large portion of their money is their servers and other enterprise tools.

And they'll get their money if people keep buying windows products over mac's, android tablets, linux crap...

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@waahahah said:
@ProtossX said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@ProtossX said:
@lostrib said:

something can start out free and switch down the line business do that stuff all the time

Dude shut up, Windows 10 isn't going to cut me off when I go on the internet and sya now all of a sudden I need a subscription.

like i said dude i don't need it, its not my thing, i don't like the look of it, if your thing thats fine do your thing ill do my thing

im just saying years out you can't unlimited work on a OS like windows 10 and make no money

so if people aren't buying the apps or using the windows 10 thats productive they will have to have subscription or a price on it people can't work for free tiger this isn't a hand out

if people aren't paying money to microsoft for windows 10 people can't work on windows 10 period

To combat steam machines they need dx12 to have a high enough adoption rate that dev's use it.

They need business's to adopt their OS to make their productivity tools more important, and a large portion of their money is their servers and other enterprise tools.

And they'll get their money if people keep buying windows products over mac's, android tablets, linux crap...

are business upgrading to windows 10 i dunno i dont live in the business sector but im assuming there mostly on windows 7 or 8 or something prolly 7 honestly thats where most ppl are at

if there business is gettin spammed with windows 10 how are network admins an stuff dealing with that are they upgrading all of them are whats going this spam they are getting can't be good for those business users

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Why do I need reservation if it's free? Are they gonna run out of digital copies. LOL

Zaikeiil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Zaikeiil
Member since 2015 • 29 Posts

Never going to get Windows 10 if I have my ways. I hate Windows 8 because they made it for bloody touch screen tablets, and laptops are not freaking tablets. I had to download something that let's me have a start bar on the bottle of my screen. I hate it when I am in the middle of something, and I find myself in the start page thing that you find in newer tablets. If I want a labtop, I will buy a regular old fashion labtop, not a labtop wannabe tablet, and if I want a tablet I will buy a freaking tablet. But if I have to get a new computer that happens to have Windows 10, then I will have to bloody suck it.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 waahahah

@ProtossX said:
@waahahah said:
@ProtossX said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@ProtossX said:
@lostrib said:

are business upgrading to windows 10 i dunno i dont live in the business sector but im assuming there mostly on windows 7 or 8 or something prolly 7 honestly thats where most ppl are at

if there business is gettin spammed with windows 10 how are network admins an stuff dealing with that are they upgrading all of them are whats going this spam they are getting can't be good for those business users

The point of making windows 10 free for upgrade makes it risk free to adopt it quickly. Even a small company can upgrade from windows 7, get a copy, move everyone to 10 if it works. There's a lot of people slowly switching to linux in the busininess world because of windows 8 and this is a nice gesture to try to reverse.

They don't need to make money directly off of windows 10, they need to hold onto their 90% market share. Linux gaming machines stand to take a chunk away, but with dx12 and free upgrade for everyone that could potentially make gaming on linux still miss out on a lot of big titles.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts

@R3FURBISHED said:

Windows has the alert for me on the task bar, mine is reserved

Ha....guess I have that as well. Haven't reserved yet though.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#63 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Well this better be good since Windows 8 sucks, it's rare but it has a stupid tendency to not recognize my internet and it's not my internet that's the problem. That gets annoying especially when you playing online.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@zaikeiil said:

Never going to get Windows 10 if I have my ways. I hate Windows 8 because they made it for bloody touch screen tablets, and laptops are not freaking tablets. I had to download something that let's me have a start bar on the bottle of my screen. I hate it when I am in the middle of something, and I find myself in the start page thing that you find in newer tablets. If I want a labtop, I will buy a regular old fashion labtop, not a labtop wannabe tablet, and if I want a tablet I will buy a freaking tablet. But if I have to get a new computer that happens to have Windows 10, then I will have to bloody suck it.

It's already been shown that Windows 10 primary desktop is the traditional task bar and screen icons UI. The Metro tiles are confined to the start menu, where it's more sensible to place them as quick links to the users popular apps.

But all that said, I do think the Metro version of Windows is a serviceable OS for the tablet environment. Instead of labelling that under the main Windows chronology (7, 8, 9, 10, 11, etc...) it should be rebranded as something like "Windows Touch" to signify that it's an OS specifically for that type of device.

Basically it could co-exist with the primary Windows series as a supplemental system for the companion devices to dedicated desktop PCs. Just think back in the day when MS had their own competing PDA's to the Palm Pilot, that was running on Windows CE (Compact Edition). You had two Windows series released side-by-side, each designed specifically for the distinct platforms. The same could happen here. Win8 is good for tablets where people don't use a mouse & keyboard to interact with the device.

Just food for thought.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

@waahahah said:
@ProtossX said:
@waahahah said:
@ProtossX said:
@TigerSuperman said:
@ProtossX said:
@lostrib said:

The point of making windows 10 free for upgrade makes it risk free to adopt it quickly. Even a small company can upgrade from windows 7, get a copy, move everyone to 10 if it works. There's a lot of people slowly switching to linux in the busininess world because of windows 8 and this is a nice gesture to try to reverse.

They don't need to make money directly off of windows 10, they need to hold onto their 90% market share. Linux gaming machines stand to take a chunk away, but with dx12 and free upgrade for everyone that could potentially make gaming on linux still miss out on a lot of big titles.

theres no way business ppl went linux ive seen business ppl they couldn't handle linux unless they are professional ppl the regular users cant handle that but i guess they really messed up windows 8 an business stuck with 7 or something

Zaikeiil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Zaikeiil
Member since 2015 • 29 Posts

@AdobeArtist: True, I guess that I am just so frustrated with Windows 8, that I'm going to dread updating Windows 10. I just now got comfortable with the OS.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Been using it for months on my Surface Pro. It is the most stable test OS I have ever used.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts
@zaikeiil said:

@AdobeArtist: True, I guess that I am just so frustrated with Windows 8, that I'm going to dread updating Windows 10. I just now got comfortable with the OS.

It shouldn't be an issue, I have beta tested Windows 10, so far it has been very easy to use and you wouldn't have issues learning a new OS as it's more of what Windows 8 should have been. Start Menu is back, Continuum is improving, and it's unified App Store is allowing system32 programs run through it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@waahahah: @ProtossX:clean up your quote chains please

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20105 Posts

I'm on the developer preview. It's been great so far.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17860 Posts

@musicalmac said:

Reserve a download? Like because the servers will be overloaded with the number of folks attempting to download Win10?

I'm guessing it's to download in increments in the background to take the strain off their severs on release day.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Windows 7 LIFE LONG USER

never upgrading to windows 10

i will die with windows 7 / direct x 11 platform and will adapt to android

I don't like the metro design

I don't like windows 10 apps

I don't like windows 10 big boxes in my start menu an trash all over place lag an crap this is not the windows 7 team doing a great thing here this is a bloated free piece of crap cooked up by idiots at M$

if your an educated pc gamer you will stick by windows 7 just like me and u will never move to win 10

just got the little would you like to upgrade for free to windows 10 LMAO Hell no HELL NO get that shit out an let m e delete that upgrade option from my start bar plz

Shut up you god damn fakeboy idiot...

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I'm on Windows 7 and didn't get any notification. Anyone in the same boat?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries:

You need this update: KB3035583

@jhonMalcovich said:

Why do I need reservation if it's free? Are they gonna run out of digital copies. LOL

This is more of a gimmick to make people aware but Windows 10 will not be free forever either. It's only for the first year or something. At the end, aren't you a herm? You should know this stuff by heart.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Man I just noticed that, I just recently started using 8 not too long ago.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

After seeing this Windows 10 commercial, I only have one image in my head about what Microsoft wanted to convey through it:

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

I think I wait it out, and let the kinks be ironed out. I got a year.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Windows 7 LIFE LONG USER

never upgrading to windows 10

i will die with windows 7 / direct x 11 platform and will adapt to android

I don't like the metro design

I don't like windows 10 apps

I don't like windows 10 big boxes in my start menu an trash all over place lag an crap this is not the windows 7 team doing a great thing here this is a bloated free piece of crap cooked up by idiots at M$

if your an educated pc gamer you will stick by windows 7 just like me and u will never move to win 10

just got the little would you like to upgrade for free to windows 10 LMAO Hell no HELL NO get that shit out an let m e delete that upgrade option from my start bar plz

For home apps, Android M has switched to top-to-down scroll slider which is Windows 7/8 Phone Metro like.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Reserved mine this morning, it's FREE if you are running windows 7 or 8.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@BassMan said:

Reserve a copy? WTF? Downloads are unlimited.

If you reserve it it will automatically download it to your computer when it's released and then prompt you to install, it's just the Lazy way of doing it really, i got an Icon appear this morning on my Task bar, clicked on it typed in my Email address and done

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I hope this update is handled smoothly. The last thing I want to do is format my computer or fix everything that breaks after the update.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#82 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:
@musicalmac said:

Reserve a download? Like because the servers will be overloaded with the number of folks attempting to download Win10?

I'm guessing it's to download in increments in the background to take the strain off their severs on release day.

Probably. Well I'm more than happy to let everyone else download it first. I've actually got no real problems in Windows right now, so I'll refrain from almost certainly messing that up.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

After the shit fest that is Windows Vista and Windows 8/8.1 I'll wait for reviews.

Don't trust MS.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@musicalmac said:
@br0kenrabbit said:
@musicalmac said:

Probably. Well I'm more than happy to let everyone else download it first. I've actually got no real problems in Windows right now, so I'll refrain from almost certainly messing that up.

OR make it so if you dont reserve you have to buy? I think its plausible what you are describing because on big updates, it brings our work network to a crawl since all the computers on it are trying to download it.

jdp0412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 jdp0412
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts

@Heil68:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq

Reading that it does sound like it is to balance server loads. Seems that you will have to schedule a time when you can download it once it becomes available.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 waahahah

@ProtossX said:

theres no way business ppl went linux ive seen business ppl they couldn't handle linux unless they are professional ppl the regular users cant handle that but i guess they really messed up windows 8 an business stuck with 7 or something

Those people can't handle windows either, that's why you have an IT department that pre installs everything and hand's it to them with everything mostly locked down. And its not really messed up, its just there are some really odd things, like a full screen start menu that make it really impractical for business use. There really is no benefit for going to windows 8 over windows 7. Windows 10 gives options and other useful utilities that business's can use like virtual desktops.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56142 Posts

I'm definitely going to upgrade but will wait a few weeks to see how my favorite games are running under the new OS. If there are no complaints and nothing too serious as far as compatibility problems go, I will upgrade as soon as possible.

asylumni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By asylumni
Member since 2003 • 3304 Posts

@davem1992 said:

After the shit fest that is Windows Vista and Windows 8/8.1 I'll wait for reviews.

Don't trust MS.

This one should be good, that's how MS rolls. They change things around and piss everyone off, then they do it right in the next version. 98 good, ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, now it's time for another good one.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

@asylumni said:
@davem1992 said:

Don't trust MS.

This one should be good, that's how MS rolls. They change things around and piss everyone off, then they do it right in the next version. 98 good, ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, now it's time for another good one.

I guess that's the reason why they skipped 9 and went for windows 10 to break the curse. lol

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#92  Edited By CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Also, if you're an artist that uses Paint Tool SAI, it won't work on Windows 10 apparently.

Fucking brilliant, thanks MS.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@lostrib: The new CEO is making the right moves to restore Windows platform's dominance.