Will VR die slowly in next-gen just like 3D glasses gaming did?

• 79 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

If so that suck would. I would've hoped VR would've been more useful by now at the very least and I only own just Xbox One X, I heard MS is working on VR for Xbox Scarlet, I just hope VR isn't dead by the time MS has it for next-gen.

Edit: This is the first time I made a thread here in this place but I'm not really new here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Short answer: VR is here to stay.

Also: incoming VR-obsessed haters. Get ready.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

VR is here to stay and will have a new revolution once you can stream in real time (what Google promisses with Stadia). Imagine being able to just get a Headset which streams from Stadia over 5G and you have a perfect VR experience with no need for expensive PC whenever and whereever you want

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45120 Posts

Get a PSVR and see for yourself.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

ARVR hybrid is da future. :P

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

I personally never understood why VR keeps getting compared to the 3D glasses fad. The 3D effect and immersion factor in VR is many times greater than staring at a flat panel trying to simulate depth.

3D TVs are much more effective when the video on screen feeds depth info into the distance instead of trying to make things "pop out." But in VR, your head and body (at least your hands) are in the world, eliminating this issue entirely.

I know you aren't anti-VR, but the people who are, more often than not, haven't tried it. And price isn't an excuse anymore. WMR headsets can be had for as little as $150, controllers included, and they work with SteamVR, Vive, and Oculus games. There's really not much reason not to give it a try as long as you have an income and your computer is up to par.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I have no use for VR, on these forums i hear people liking VR, But irl i know like 15 people with ps4's and not one has a psvr.... just doesnt seem worth 250 bucks, to each his own.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

VR is still building momentum. Also, Japan is very big on it, so you can count on developer support from over there going forward. In many ways, VR is doing the opposite of 3d glasses and even kinect because its growth is strictly organic right now.

The technology is going through a maturing process. The companies leaning behind it know that their effort is best spent making the tech and the games appealing to tech savvy early adopters and experimentationalists. So, rather than have extravagant marketing budgets and ridiculous budgeting forecasts, VR is slowly percolating user interest while incremental improvements to the gear and a steadily growing library allows the companies to cast a wider net. This formula is working and I suspect that market penetration will continue to surprise people going forward.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

3D Glasses is a bad comparison, it was always limited in scale of what it could achieve....

VR is still very much in it's infancy and is reliant on other technologies being made available.

Low Latency Streaming, Eye Tracking and wider FOV will be the time where VR shows what its fully capable of, all will be achievable within a few years.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58318 Posts

I think VR has found it's niche and, more importantly, has proven to be profitable (unlike previous iterations of VR).

@kali-b1rd said:

3D Glasses is a bad comparison, it was always limited in scale of what it could achieve....

VR is still very much in it's infancy and is reliant on other technologies being made available.

Low Latency Streaming, Eye Tracking and wider FOV will be the time where VR shows what its fully capable of, all will be achievable within a few years.

Well said. VR is pretty awesome, and there is still a lot more it can do.

3D glasses were a gimmick, a fad.

Looking forward to the future in respect to VR. If Valve Index was trackerless (i.e. the sensors were on the unit, not placed), I think it would be VR 2nd gen but it's more VR 1.5 gen. Either way, we are almost there. Oculus Quest is a novel idea, but a step sideways, not a step in the right direction; still, if it brings more people into the fold, all the better.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#11 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I can guarantee you that VR is here to stay. VR is not something new...we have had prototypes since the 80s. Now it's finally starting to be good and cheap enough for the masses. From here it will only grow ;)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

In just this month alone, there have been 62 VR titles released on Steam, along with 5 free demos and 10 announcements of new to be released titles. Much to the despair of some, VR is not dead, nor is it dying. VR in itself isn't shallow gimmick like 3D was, because it has actually pretty cool uses and benefits on specific games like in driving and flying games. VR just doesn't grow much until equipment gets cheaper, lighter, wireless and generally better for gaming.

I just got myself a HTC Vive 2 months ago, I find it to be underwhelming, I have only 2 games to test it out and I regret it for buying it and I should have got myself the PSVR and I did test it out few months ago from a kiosk and find it much better compare to the PC counterpart. That said, I'm gonna exchange HTC Viv for PSVR because it has the games I personally want to play.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I agree with others, VR will stay and get bigger. Having tried VR I just think it is fundamentally cool in a way Kinect and 3d tv never were. And there are plenty of core gamers who feel the same way. This group never got behind the other technologies, which I think is a huuuge advantage for VR and its lasting power.

I think next gen may be a breakthrough. Sony can do it if they eliminate wires and introduce much better controllers (aka copy their competitors). Since Ps5 is backwards compatible there will be a reasonable library to kick it off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Well let me just say that I've been delightfully proven wrong about who would show up to this thread. I was expecting the VR haters right off the bat, but instead a bunch of VR fans have shown up. This proves without a doubt that VR is catching on, and it's great to see!

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8472 Posts

No, it's here to stay. So many have already outlined why comparing it to 3D glasses is a bad idea. Unlike 3D it has practical applications outside of gaming/entertainment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

@subspecies said:

Haters?

Oh yeah, glad VR isn't going away because I hope MS comes up something for VR to be use for Scarlet.

@SolidGame_basic said:

Get a PSVR and see for yourself.

I only own Xbox One X, but my Brother does however owns PS4 but even he thinks is a gimmick. Just gonna wait for MS VR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts
@kali-b1rd said:

Exactly this. VR is here to stay and is absolutely game changing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

@davillain- said:

In just this month alone, there have been 62 VR titles released on Steam, along with 5 free demos and 10 announcements of new to be released titles. Much to the despair of some, VR is not dead, nor is it dying. VR in itself isn't shallow gimmick like 3D was, because it has actually pretty cool uses and benefits on specific games like in driving and flying games. VR just doesn't grow much until equipment gets cheaper, lighter, wireless and generally better for gaming.

I just got myself a HTC Vive 2 months ago, I find it to be underwhelming, I have only 2 games to test it out and I regret it for buying it and I should have got myself the PSVR and I did test it out few months ago from a kiosk and find it much better compare to the PC counterpart. That said, I'm gonna exchange HTC Viv for PSVR because it has the games I personally want to play.

Between PC VR stuff compare to PSVR console only, I can see why VR is only popular on the console market. Can't say I blame you for switching over. MS needs to get their asses into making VR.

@Sushiglutton said:

I agree with others, VR will stay and get bigger. Having tried VR I just think it is fundamentally cool in a way Kinect and 3d tv never were. And there are plenty of core gamers who feel the same way. This group never got behind the other technologies, which I think is a huuuge advantage for VR and its lasting power.

I think next gen may be a breakthrough. Sony can do it if they eliminate wires and introduce much better controllers (aka copy their competitors). Since Ps5 is backwards compatible there will be a reasonable library to kick it off.

I hope so too. I hope VR wireless won't be too expensive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@evil_loli said:
@subspecies said:

Haters?

Lol, yeah. You're pretty new (at least as far as posting around here goes), so I guess you weren't around for that. For a while I (and a few others) made VR threads on here (still do, personally), and like clockwork every time these rabid VR hater fanboy types would show up and just flood the thread, trying to derail it. But I persevered, and slowly but surely more and more VR fans started showing up. Now, the fans are showing up right off the bat, it appears. It's great to see. You'll still catch some naysayers here and there trying to drag the thread down, but a lot of them won't show up unless they're called out, because they don't like being the minority in a thread.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@subspecies said:

Probably, but I expect it will always be an expensive niche product. Most people, including gamers, simply have no interest in it.

Case in point, here are the latest usage statistics for X-Plane 11:

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

Flight simulation is, in my opinion, the ideal use case for VR. It is the sort of specialized tech that flight sim geeks should love, but as of this post, only 2.06% of X-Plane users have tried VR!

Beat128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Beat128
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts

The problem is the price of it needs drop by 50% that way get the user base up

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

Oh what joy. Let me think. No.

VR will get more popular until it's just as popular as smartphones. Humans have been heading towards VR since the beginning. To simplify it, we went from cave paintings to live theater to movies and TV to gaming and the final bus stop is VR and AR too. Someone growing up in 2035 won't give a rats ass about TVs or monitors. They might still play the occasional game with gamepads and mouse+keyboard, but most of their gaming will probably be with VR because it's going to be far too good for most people to justify playing a different way.

It will be the dominant form of gaming but will still allow for the more niche use of flatscreen games.

Lebowski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lebowski1
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

I just use it for "cinema mode" as an alternative to a tv, so im all set whatever the future may hold! ;D

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DarthBuzzard

@dzimm said:
@subspecies said:

Probably, but I expect it will always be an expensive niche product. Most people, including gamers, simply have no interest in it.

Flight simulation is, in my opinion, the ideal use case for VR. It is the sort of specialized tech that flight sim geeks should love, but as of this post, only 2.06% of X-Plane users have tried VR!

Your comment doesn't make any sense. Most VR headsets are like what, $200-400? And can you name me a single mainstream hugely diverse technology that anyone cared about in the first 5 years of it being on the market? People didn't care at all for game consoles or PCs or smartphones or all these other gadgets. Everyone thought they were all fads.

So using that as some kind of argument just discredits it. If no one cares in 5-10 years from now with consistent market presence then clearly it's a failure. But you can only decide on that at that point and no sooner.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarthBuzzard

@Lebowski1 said:

I just use it for "cinema mode" as an alternative to a tv, so im all set whatever the future may hold! ;D

That's exactly why no one growing up in 2035 will be using TVs. There's so many disadvantages to having a static TV when you can have a perfectly configurable infinite supply of portable TVs.

Lebowski1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lebowski1
Member since 2005 • 91 Posts

@darthbuzzard: it's quite telling when i go to a cinema and now find the screen to be relatively "small" lol (altho in reality of course the VR is the small screen... Great tech tho means no eye strain, altho im finding the quantity of time im wearing it is messing with my forehead a bit sry if too much detail haha. My unit was bought 2nd hand and can tend to cut out quite often when i move too much, any ideas on whats causing that are welcome. Wish id bought it new tbh.)

Edit: in defense of tvs, vr will never have as good resolution bc the screen is so much smaller. I find it a very worthwhile tradeoff, and any game with text too small to read in the maximum size setting just has bad UI in my opinion (the worst example being boring xcom clone Phantom Doctrine which only shows one key number in a size and colour scheme unreadable on vr. Xcom itself never has any such issues).

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarthBuzzard

@Lebowski1 said:

@darthbuzzard: it's quite telling when i go to a cinema and now find the screen to be relatively "small" lol (altho in reality of course the VR is the small screen... Great tech tho means no eye strain, altho im finding the quantity of time im wearing it is messing with my forehead a bit sry if too much detail haha. My unit was bought 2nd hand and can tend to cut out quite often when i move too much, any ideas on whats causing that are welcome. Wish id bought it new tbh.)

I hear the Valve Index is great for watching movies because of the increased field of view and audio quality, and the comfort is improved too.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

How can something that's dead die slowly???

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@subspecies: You are without doubt the biggest cry baby hypocrite on here, when its a MS hating thread you're in there talking shit, you even created MS hate threads.

And now you want to whinge about haters lol, gtfo of here you fake.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

The only way VR can seriously be the future for gaming is if its literally the console IMHO... As a additional piece of hardware it limits the audience and not to mention the amount of interest big developers will have towards it.

The only other way would be WHEN consoles are nothing more than APPS on your TV and are subscription based cloud powered services only then VR would be more appealing to the mass public as they didn't have to buy a console so the peripheral would then be easier on the wallet and to justify.

That's just how I see it.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

VR is awesome, been playing Skyrim VR and it's amazing however the graphics hold it back a little. The move controllers do need work but they are almost there. My only issue with PSVR is the lack/shortness of games. Besides Skyrim and Borderlands 2. There are few games that last longer than 5 hours or they are just the same level over and over again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@npiet1 said:

VR is awesome, been playing Skyrim VR and it's amazing however the graphics hold it back a little. The move controllers do need work but they are almost there. My only issue with PSVR is the lack/shortness of games. Besides Skyrim and Borderlands 2. There are few games that last longer than 5 hours or they are just the same level over and over again.

I can't play Skyrim VR without the move controllers. Little wonky at times, sure, but usually it works fine, and------>bow and arrow + moves is just insanely immersive. Actually, scratch that. There is one situation where I use the dualshock, and that's to shoot a bloodcursed arrow at the sun, which is for whatever reason freaking impossible to do with the moves.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56110 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

How can something that's dead die slowly???

Then why is it still selling?

@evil_loli said:

Between PC VR stuff compare to PSVR console only, I can see why VR is only popular on the console market. Can't say I blame you for switching over. MS needs to get their asses into making VR.

I have limited space where my PC is and my PS4 sits in the living room open space, I can barely move while using HTC Vive. I'm taking it back for PSVR.

Edit: You're avatar is too painful to look at, it's Kryptonite?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 npiet1

@subspecies said:
@npiet1 said:

I can't play Skyrim VR without the move controllers. Little wonky at times, sure, but usually it works fine, and------>bow and arrow + moves is just insanely immersive. Actually, scratch that. There is one situation where I use the dualshock, and that's to shoot a bloodcursed arrow at the sun, which is for whatever reason freaking impossible to do with the moves.

I've been playing with the DS, instead of the moves. I only just got the moves. Its harder. Bow shooting is cool, they don't go as far but the sword swinging is weird and doesn't always hit. I've tried a few other games with similar tracking issues. Maybe I'm just not use to the moves yet.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarthBuzzard

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

The only way VR can seriously be the future for gaming is if its literally the console IMHO... As a additional piece of hardware it limits the audience and not to mention the amount of interest big developers will have towards it.

The only other way would be WHEN consoles are nothing more than APPS on your TV and are subscription based cloud powered services only then VR would be more appealing to the mass public as they didn't have to buy a console so the peripheral would then be easier on the wallet and to justify.

That's just how I see it.

That's called the Oculus Quest. It's here today at $400 and selling out all the time, not to mention it keeps getting glowing reviews and is hitting quite a few best of 2019 tech products lists.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@npiet1 said:
@subspecies said:
@npiet1 said:

I've been playing with the DS, instead of the moves. I only just got the moves. Its harder. Bow shooting is cool, they don't go as far but the sword swinging is weird and doesn't always hit. I've tried a few other games with similar tracking issues. Maybe I'm just not use to the moves yet.

Hmm, my experience is honestly exactly opposite. I can shoot a bow farther with the moves, and much faster. And everything is easier, especially sword swinging because it's 1 to 1 and enemies are dead like instantly. It might be your camera setup. Are you getting wobble? Make sure the room is dark with no reflective surfaces in the camera's view (even a white shirt). I've found that placing the lenses a little above your head and slightly angled downward, standing about five or so feet away is perfect. I have very few issues with this setup.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 npiet1

@subspecies: I think it's just the wrong distance, I haven't got 5ft. I got everything else down dark room etc.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarthBuzzard

@Lebowski1 said:

Edit: in defense of tvs, vr will never have as good resolution bc the screen is so much smaller. I find it a very worthwhile tradeoff, and any game with text too small to read in the maximum size setting just has bad UI in my opinion (the worst example being boring xcom clone Phantom Doctrine which only shows one key number in a size and colour scheme unreadable on vr. Xcom itself never has any such issues).

That won't be an issue because there's a limit to human acuity. It's 8K. Once VR can reproduce 8K screens then it will be no different.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#39 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

VR is going nowhere can't wait to see what the next gen VR headsets will be like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@npiet1 said:

@subspecies: I think it's just the wrong distance, I haven't got 5ft. I got everything else down dark room etc.

Yep, that is probably it for sure. When you get too close the camera goes crazy. Sucks, dude. If you can't rearrange furniture or whatever, that's def a problem.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@subspecies said:

Your comment doesn't make any sense. Most VR headsets are like what, $200-400? And can you name me a single mainstream hugely diverse technology that anyone cared about in the first 5 years of it being on the market? People didn't care at all for game consoles or PCs or smartphones or all these other gadgets. Everyone thought they were all fads.

So using that as some kind of argument just discredits it. If no one cares in 5-10 years from now with consistent market presence then clearly it's a failure. But you can only decide on that at that point and no sooner.

I'm not talking about the general population here but a niche market made up of people used to spending lots of money for specialized gear and for which VR is practically a match made in heaven, and even that market doesn't care about it, let alone the average consumer.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

No.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 npiet1

@subspecies: yeah I sorta fixed it I just can't swing to far right or I'll smash my hand into a wall. Works better just not use to it yet.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarthBuzzard

@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@subspecies said:

I'm not talking about the general population here but a niche market made up of people used to spending lots of money for specialized gear and for which VR is practically a match made in heaven, and even that market doesn't care about it, let alone the average consumer.

All the new VR headsets are either completely sold out or selling out really often. A lot of people have to drive many miles just to get one if they're lucky. Now tell me that the enthusiast market doesn't care?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 npiet1

@darthbuzzard: yeah no. I love my psvr. But still sold out everywhere is a lie. They are everywhere here.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#46 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I really doubt that it'll die any time soon. People have wanted VR for years.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

VR is here to stay. I just purchased a PSVR and it’s freaking awesome. It’s one of those things people need to try to understand.

I can’t believe how real everything looks lol. It’s nuts. It’s the future of gaming and entertainment.

I watched a WWE match in VR and it was so damn cool watching Brock Lesnar kill Daniel Bryan. It was so damn real. It was like I was there.

My only minor criticism so far is all the humans in games and the WWE thing I saw so far are midgets LOL. I guess they have to be to fit inside the headset, but it was weird/hilarious to see Brock Lesnar at 4 feet tall throwing a 3 foot tall Bryan across the ring.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I don't think it will ever be as mainstream as they'd hope it would be but I feel that VR offers a significantly unique experience for players that it won't really die out either.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DarthBuzzard

@npiet1 said:

@darthbuzzard: yeah no. I love my psvr. But still sold out everywhere is a lie. They are everywhere here.

I didn't say old headsets... I said new headsets. Quest, Rift S, and Index are either outright impossible to get for the next couple of months or are extremely difficult to get. The conversion rate of Quest is crazy. People bring it into their work and covert half their cubicle in buying it.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DarthBuzzard

@vagrantsnow said:

I don't think it will ever be as mainstream as they'd hope it would be but I feel that VR offers a significantly unique experience for players that it won't really die out either.

They, the powers that be, are wanting to get a billion people in VR. That's very possible to do because it's the clear future of social networks which already consists of billions of us.