Will VR die slowly in next-gen just like 3D glasses gaming did?

• 79 results
Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I had the same fear until recently. I think now with the tech becoming wireless that VR is about to make a huge leap in popularity. I do however believe that in about 5 years hardly anyone will be using a console or pc for VR. The whole idea of being tethered to a machine and not able to freely move around has been a huge turnoff for many including myself. I tried out the Rift for a few weeks then sold it for that reason. Now with devices like Oculus Quest out I think the market will change into a wire free type of freedom we all originally associated VR with. The Quest is the first big step into this direction and hopefully gets more people into VR but give it another 5 years once tech has improved and I can only imagine how awesome VR is gonna get in these wireless VR devices. I was a doubter before but now I think VR is here to stay for a while.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@vaidream45 said:

I had the same fear until recently. I think now with the tech becoming wireless that VR is about to make a huge leap in popularity. I do however believe that in about 5 years hardly anyone will be using a console or pc for VR. The whole idea of being tethered to a machine and not able to freely move around has been a huge turnoff for many including myself. I tried out the Rift for a few weeks then sold it for that reason. Now with devices like Oculus Quest out I think the market will change into a wire free type of freedom we all originally associated VR with. The Quest is the first big step into this direction and hopefully gets more people into VR but give it another 5 years once tech has improved and I can only imagine how awesome VR is gonna get in these wireless VR devices. I was a doubter before but now I think VR is here to stay for a while.

The future is standalone devices that can wirelessly draw power from a console or PC when you want the highest fidelity.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Ironically one of my only interests in picking up a VR headset, is so I can watch movies in 3D. I still have like 100+ 3D blu-rays, but I can't even watch them since my 3D TV died. Been thinking about a projector setup, but that would be alot more $$$ and effort than I want to get into since my space is currently designed for 65" TV or maybe 75" max, not for a 100" screen. I'd have to demolish some built in cabinets and re-arrange things to make room for a projector.

Apparantly the PC based ones don't play nice with actual 3D blu-rays, can only use pirated stuff (or you have to rip it yourself). PS VR works with discs you pop in your PS4, but the resolution is not 1080p - I've read it basically cuts it in half. I've read everywhere the 3D effect is decent, but not ideal as it would be if at full resolution. I'm hoping next gen PS VR addresses these shortfalls and still supports 3D blu-ray format (theoretically next gen VR should be beyond 1080p in each eye, handling 3D blu-ray without issue - perhaps only showing the resolution limits of the format rather than the other way around).

I still almost bought the current PSVR since it was only $200, but I guess now I should just wait until next gen VR, or if I see the current PSVR get even cheaper.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@darthbuzzard: hell if you wanna talk 10 years from now then I’m sure they will be wireless through a streaming service like Stadia. Yeah, I think VR is gonna get cheaper over time and it is now here to stay.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#55 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@subspecies said:

Short answer: VR is here to stay.

Probably, but I expect it will always be an expensive niche product. Most people, including gamers, simply have no interest in it.

Case in point, here are the latest usage statistics for X-Plane 11:

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

Flight simulation is, in my opinion, the ideal use case for VR. It is the sort of specialized tech that flight sim geeks should love, but as of this post, only 2.06% of X-Plane users have tried VR!

Your comment doesn't make any sense. Most VR headsets are like what, $200-400? And can you name me a single mainstream hugely diverse technology that anyone cared about in the first 5 years of it being on the market? People didn't care at all for game consoles or PCs or smartphones or all these other gadgets. Everyone thought they were all fads.

So using that as some kind of argument just discredits it. If no one cares in 5-10 years from now with consistent market presence then clearly it's a failure. But you can only decide on that at that point and no sooner.

I'm not talking about the general population here but a niche market made up of people used to spending lots of money for specialized gear and for which VR is practically a match made in heaven, and even that market doesn't care about it, let alone the average consumer.

All the new VR headsets are either completely sold out or selling out really often. A lot of people have to drive many miles just to get one if they're lucky. Now tell me that the enthusiast market doesn't care?

It's pretty easy to sell out when stores keep a minimum stock of VR headsets and are slow to reorder because of soft sales. My local Microcenter recently took down its VR demo area due to lack of interest. Even the Steam hardware survey shows that only 0.46% of PC gamers use VR, so 2% of X-Plane 11 users is actually on the high-end of the curve and exactly what you would expect to see from an enthusiast market. For that matter, only around 2% of Playstation 4 owners have bought PSVR which is arguably the most accessible and well-supported headset on the market.

This isn't to say that VR is a failure; only that it is performing exactly as you would expect in a low-volume niche market.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DarthBuzzard

@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:

Probably, but I expect it will always be an expensive niche product. Most people, including gamers, simply have no interest in it.

Case in point, here are the latest usage statistics for X-Plane 11:

http://dashboard.x-plane.com/

Flight simulation is, in my opinion, the ideal use case for VR. It is the sort of specialized tech that flight sim geeks should love, but as of this post, only 2.06% of X-Plane users have tried VR!

Your comment doesn't make any sense. Most VR headsets are like what, $200-400? And can you name me a single mainstream hugely diverse technology that anyone cared about in the first 5 years of it being on the market? People didn't care at all for game consoles or PCs or smartphones or all these other gadgets. Everyone thought they were all fads.

So using that as some kind of argument just discredits it. If no one cares in 5-10 years from now with consistent market presence then clearly it's a failure. But you can only decide on that at that point and no sooner.

I'm not talking about the general population here but a niche market made up of people used to spending lots of money for specialized gear and for which VR is practically a match made in heaven, and even that market doesn't care about it, let alone the average consumer.

All the new VR headsets are either completely sold out or selling out really often. A lot of people have to drive many miles just to get one if they're lucky. Now tell me that the enthusiast market doesn't care?

It's pretty easy to sell out when stores keep a minimum stock of VR headsets and are slow to reorder because of soft sales. My local Microcenter recently took down its VR demo area due to lack of interest. Even the Steam hardware survey shows that only 0.46% of PC gamers use VR, so 2% of X-Plane 11 users is actually on the high-end of the curve and exactly what you would expect to see from an enthusiast market. For that matter, only around 2% of Playstation 4 owners have bought PSVR which is arguably the most accessible and well-supported headset on the market.

This isn't to say that VR is a failure; only that it is performing exactly as you would expect in a low-volume niche market.

No, that's not how it is at all. I'm talking sold out on the official manufacturer's sites with a big push for brick and mortar stockage. Quest/Rift S were stocked a lot in Best Buys for example.

And you misread the hardware survey. It's more than double your number. And your PSVR numbers are wrong too. It's double that.

At least find yourself the correct statistics.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dzimm
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

No, that's not how it is at all. I'm talking sold out on the official manufacturer's sites with a big push for brick and mortar stockage. Quest/Rift S were stocked a lot in Best Buys for example.

And you misread the hardware survey. It's more than double your number. And your PSVR numbers are wrong too. It's double that.

Understocking to ensure fast sell-outs and create artificial demand is a common marketing tactic.

How did I misread the Steam Hardware Survey? But OK, even if we double the figure, that's still less than 1%. Although you're right about PSVR. A whopping 4% of PS4 owners have bought one, which is... still not great. To put that into perspective, that's only 4-million units worldwide.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By DarthBuzzard

@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

Understocking to ensure fast sell-outs and create artificial demand is a common marketing tactic.

How did I misread the Steam Hardware Survey? But OK, even if we double the figure, that's still less than 1%. Although you're right about PSVR. A whopping 4% of PS4 owners have bought one, which is... still not great. To put that into perspective, that's only 4-million units worldwide.

Understocking would be such a dumb idea considering the big marketing push Oculus are doing for Quest, and how it's the easiest product thus far to get it into the hands of people. If you could choose between a little bit of marketing talk on tech websites about it selling out versus actually selling more units, obviously you'd choose the latter every time for an early technology like VR.

The hardware survey needs to be expanded. You're only reading the top product of each category. It may still be less than 1% just slightly, but it's been doubling every year. Considering Valve are launching a game this year, that will almost certainly continue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@dzimm: About 5% of PS4 owners have bought a PSVR. That breaks down to 1 out of every 20 PS4 owners also own a PSVR. Those numbers are good, dude, especially for such an expensive peripheral.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 dzimm
@subspecies said:

@dzimm: About 5% of PS4 owners have bought a PSVR. That breaks down to 1 out of every 20 PS4 owners also own a PSVR. Those numbers are good, dude, especially for such an expensive peripheral.

The numbers are good for niche product, which is what I've been saying all along.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@dzimm: So the numbers are good. Glad we agree.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DarthBuzzard

@dzimm said:
@subspecies said:

The numbers are good for niche product, which is what I've been saying all along.

A niche product today isn't necessarily a niche product tomorrow.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By dzimm

@subspecies: "So the numbers are good."

With qualification, yes.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts
@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

How can something that's dead die slowly???

Then why is it still selling?

Yes please explain to us why selling at an increasing rate means dead. Some of us aren't as smart as you are.

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=vr+sales&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit5Y_LlPfiAhXDG6YKHXXPCvoQ_AUIESgC&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

Lol. The silence you got after asking this question is golden. Knew that would shut him up.

"Bu...bu.....but mah notifications are turned off!! I swearz it!!" ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

What the hell is 3D glasses gaming?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#67 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34684 Posts

If you think so, you're a fucking idiot.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56237 Posts

@subspecies said:
@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

Lol. The silence you got after asking this question is golden. Knew that would shut him up.

I_P_Daily's post made no damn sense. VR is here to stay and that's all their is to it! PSVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, & LABO VR are all here & even MS is ready to jump into VR, I'm actually curious as to what it will look like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
deactivated-5e171d7dbd091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By deactivated-5e171d7dbd091
Member since 2018 • 284 Posts

@davillain- said:
@subspecies said:

I_P_Daily's post made no damn sense. VR is here to stay and that's all their is to it! PSVR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, & LABO VR are all here & even MS is ready to jump into VR, I'm actually curious as to what it will look like.

I agree both of you. I been seeing lots of cool VR games I like to play but until MS has their own VR, I'll just have to wait until it comes to Xbox One X.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts

3D glasses gaming didnt die... it evolved into VR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@evil_loli: Yep. Tons of great VR games by this point. And more on the way. The next big one for me is No Man's Sky VR. Seriously can't wait.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 DaVillain  Moderator

One thing I should have mention earlier in my post. Nintendo did 3D gaming right by not having to wear glasses, 3DS was a success as far as 3D gaming goes. Nintendo was smart enough to make 3DS without wearing glasses, but at the same time, even 3DS showed us you don't need glasses, the damage was already done when Sony & 3rd party pull out of 3D gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Evil Loli is the worst user on here, shills for xbox says playstation stuff is dead.

I mean get a life bro get a life

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Evil Loli is the worst user on here, shills for xbox says playstation stuff is dead.

I mean get a life bro get a life

Look in the mirror. You're one of the most laughable users on the board. Genuinely.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

@Silenthps said:

3D glasses gaming didnt die... it evolved into VR

This^

3D was lame, as was VR upon first reveal... The technology has and is evolving. I'll wait to get onboard, as i'm not a fan of restricting my outside perception that much.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain- said:
@subspecies said:
@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

My notifications are turned of reduc.

VR is dead, the only reason its still selling is because its getting cheaper as Sony slashing the price multiple times suggests. Remember when MS cuts the price of XB1's its because its dead, so i'm just using cow logic to show how stupid cows are, is it working dav???

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily said:

Of? You mean "off" I assume? Anyhow, if you simply cannot handle replies from users that well, you really shouldn't be on SW then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#78  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

My hopes are that VR next gen gets much bigger. But if developers just keep releasing mostly short mediocre overpriced games I fear it might fail.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@davillain- said:
@i_p_daily said:

Of? You mean "off" I assume? Anyhow, if you simply cannot handle replies from users that well, you really shouldn't be on SW then.

Yes dav I meant off. You say I can't handle user replies well, lol you of all people can't talk about handling replies well when you have dodged my question 3 times in another thread.

Notice how you don't answer questions dav, not ones that put cows/Sony in a bad light just like in the other thread and this one, its you can't handle responses, well not mine LOL.