Will this generation be the first time Nintendo ends in last place?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46567 Posts

I thought the Mega Drive outsold the SNES. Shame people are forgetting the Sega consoles.

35cent

These kids are too young to remember Sega man :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#52 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I thought the Mega Drive outsold the SNES. Shame people are forgetting the Sega consoles.

35cent
30 million for Mega Drive vs 49 million for SNES. Mega Drive dominated in Europe but lost out everywhere else.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#53 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Most likely, cuz they don't have games.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#54 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="35cent"]

R4gn4r0k

These kids are too young to remember Sega man :P

I agree, we know damn well SNES owned the Sega Genesis in sales!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Most likely, cuz they don't have games.

PhazonBlazer

goku

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#56 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
They might if the console doesn't sell after Smash Bros and Mario Kart get released
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

Nintendo's track record with consoles is impressive: after thirty years and five consoles on the market, they have never ever had a console that ended in last place. But with this coming generation and the struggles of the Wii U, does someone think that impressive streak will be coming to an end? Or does the Wii U have a legitimate shot at pulling itself out of the hole that it dug for itself and ending up in at least second place?

EDIT: Right, since a lot of people on here seem to have poor memories:

Third Generation:

1. Nintendo Entertainment System
  2. Sega Master System
  3. Atari 7800

Fourth Generation:

1. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  2. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
  3. TurboGrafx-16

Fifth Generation:

1. PlayStation
  2. Nintendo 64
  3. Sega Saturn

Sixth Generation:

1. PlayStation 2
  2. Xbox
  3. Nintendo Gamecube
  4. Dreamcast

Seventh Generation:

1. Wii
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Xbox 360

charizard1605

If that's the case and your argument contradicts mine in terms of consoles within a generation (the DC), then yours is completely contradictory since you left out quite a number of consoles for each of those generation :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Nintendo's track record with consoles is impressive: after thirty years and five consoles on the market, they have never ever had a console that ended in last place. But with this coming generation and the struggles of the Wii U, does someone think that impressive streak will be coming to an end? Or does the Wii U have a legitimate shot at pulling itself out of the hole that it dug for itself and ending up in at least second place?

Third Generation:

2. Sega Master System
  3. Atari 7800

Fourth Generation:

3. TurboGrafx-16

Fifth Generation:

1. PlayStation
  2. Nintendo 64
  3. Sega Saturn

Sixth Generation:

1. PlayStation 2
  2. Xbox
  3. Nintendo Gamecube
  4. Dreamcast

Seventh Generation:

1. Wii
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Xbox 360

KingsofQueens

If that's the case and your argument contradicts mine in terms of consoles within a generation (the DC), then yours is completely contradictory since you left out quite a number of consoles for each of those generation :lol:

Please let me know what major consoles I left out, and I'll add them. I was only going by Wikipedia's major consoles released per generation list.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Ouya I have no problems counting. Is SteamBox a console? R4gn4r0k

By definition I guess it is - it's a machine with an OS designed for gaming, has a dedicated controller and ports for gaming.

I disagree. I don't know many consoles that are open like the steambox and basically say: "If you want to hack or modify this stuff or put different software or another OS on it: no problem."

Well the Ouya for one. But what makes it not a console, just because you can hack it freely?

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

[QUOTE="35cent"]

charizard1605

30 million for Mega Drive vs 49 million for SNES. Mega Drive dominated in Europe but lost out everywhere else.

I thought it outsold the SNES everywhere. Oh well, I'm probably mistaken., I live in Europe, so that's probably why I thought that :P

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#61 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41575 Posts

35cent

In Europe at least. In Japan, Genesis/Mega Drive got shunned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

[QUOTE="KingsofQueens"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Third Generation:

2. Sega Master System
  3. Atari 7800

Fourth Generation:

3. TurboGrafx-16

Fifth Generation:

1. PlayStation
  2. Nintendo 64
  3. Sega Saturn

Sixth Generation:

1. PlayStation 2
  2. Xbox
  3. Nintendo Gamecube
  4. Dreamcast

Seventh Generation:

1. Wii
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Xbox 360

charizard1605

Please let me know what major consoles I left out, and I'll add them. I was only going by Wikipedia's major consoles released per generation list.

Atari, Amiga, JVC, 3DO, Neo-Geo, CDi just to name a few. 

But that was MY POINT. You simply didn't list them because they were either WEREN'T POPULAR or DIDnt sell well to the point of being Phased out. And the Dreamcast was prime example of that. 

Avatar image for Thecongregation
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Thecongregation
Member since 2013 • 146 Posts
They were last place first-gen. Edit": Technically second gen.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Gamecube was last....yes it was.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46567 Posts

Well the Ouya for one. But what makes it not a console, just because you can hack it freely?

_Matt_

Because it's open. You aren't limited by Valve on what software you use on it or what games you play on it. That's a fundamental difference from other consoles out there and makes it more like a PC to me.

Same with the Ouya: it has Android so that makes it more open than other consoles so in my eyes it's not just a console.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

[QUOTE="35cent"]

nintendoboy16

In Europe at least. In Japan, Genesis/Mega Drive got shunned.

Yeah, everyone I knew had a Mega Drive back then. I only know two people had a SNES. Talk about getting the wrong system man :P

Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="KingsofQueens"]

YOU can go by that if you see it that way, and arguing with you will likely be pointless. 

But I'm sticking to my point. 

charizard1605
Like I said, the argument that Dreamcast doesn't count as ridiculous as shifting the definitions of what a generation is.

This post is invalid because the you are using the Wikipedia Generation order, so you technically don't know what a generation is either. Eitherway the Dreamcast does count, in a way.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="KingsofQueens"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Third Generation:

Nintendo Entertainment SystemSega Master SystemAtari 7800

Fourth Generation:

Super Nintendo Entertainment SystemSega Genesis/Mega DriveTurboGrafx-16

Fifth Generation:

PlayStationNintendo 64Sega Saturn

Sixth Generation:

PlayStation 2XboxNintendo GamecubeDreamcast

Seventh Generation:

WiiPlayStation 3Xbox 360

charizard1605

the 3DO sold 3-5 million. The Cd-I sold 1-2 million. The Xegs dold 2 million, I would say that anything a million+ should be on your incorrectly numbered list. At the same time, I agree the Dreamcast should count.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

both the N64 and GC were last place in sales.

Gue1
Easy to forget about Sega
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

R4gn4r0k

Because it's open. You aren't limited by Valve on what software you use on it or what games you play on it. That's a fundamental difference from other consoles out there and makes it more like a PC to me.

Same with the Ouya: it has Android so that makes it more open than other consoles so in my eyes it's not just a console.

I can agree with this for the most part. Consoles have to have some kind of boundary, so it might as well be open vs. closed system.

That said... I think WiiU will end last unless something happens to put it ahead by sheer technicalities or fairly unpopular systems like the 3DO and Neo-Geo, which are forgotten on that list. I could be wrong though; anything could happen within a gen.

Off-topic: The thing is systems sold really doesn't mean much all in all, but I guess that's not really the point for this topic. I can sell half the amount of a low cost system for a slightly higher price than its parts and make ends meet with a high cost system with a lower price for its parts with more units sold. In the end, lower cost=lower price but with slight markup, and higher cost= lower price in reason to look appealing. Of course there are several more factors, but you get my drift.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="KingsofQueens"]

YOU can go by that if you see it that way, and arguing with you will likely be pointless. 

But I'm sticking to my point. 

Thecongregation
Like I said, the argument that Dreamcast doesn't count as ridiculous as shifting the definitions of what a generation is.

This post is invalid because the you are using the Wikipedia Generation order, so you technically don't know what a generation is either. Eitherway the Dreamcast does count, in a way.

He using the history order for those of us that reading about gaming history generation are very easy to define. Sure system wars posters can fight over it all day, but it's like the Wii. People wanted to stand up and say it was not a last gen system, now come 5 years latter and no one cares expect a hand full of system wars posters.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="KingsofQueens"]

KingsofQueens

Atari, Amiga, JVC, 3DO, Neo-Geo, CDi just to name a few. 

But that was MY POINT. You simply didn't list them because they were either WEREN'T POPULAR or DIDnt sell well to the point of being Phased out. And the Dreamcast was prime example of that. 

Your argument is pointless. We could slap on every consoles, but just one proves that GC was not last place....
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="Thecongregation"] the 3DO sold 3-5 million. The Cd-I sold 1-2 million. The Xegs dold 2 million, I would say that anything a million+ should be on your incorrectly numbered list. At the same time, I agree the Dreamcast should count.

It's a mute point because every gamer should know they lost, why type meanless information.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"] the 3DO sold 3-5 million. The Cd-I sold 1-2 million. The Xegs dold 2 million, I would say that anything a million+ should be on your incorrectly numbered list. At the same time, I agree the Dreamcast should count.

It's a mute point because every gamer should know they lost, why type meanless information.

So could the Saturn and Dreamcast, you are not making much of a point here.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

nintendo lost to microsoft on the gamecube gen, somehow.BrunoBRS
Somehow? The XBox is one of the best consoles out there and if it wasn't for the PS2 being a favourite for Mums at the time then more people would have experienced its greatness.

Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"] He using the history order for those of us that reading about gaming history generation are very easy to define.

I am not talking about the DC, I said I would consider that as being counted. It's the NUMBER order that is wrong.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"] the 3DO sold 3-5 million. The Cd-I sold 1-2 million. The Xegs dold 2 million, I would say that anything a million+ should be on your incorrectly numbered list. At the same time, I agree the Dreamcast should count.

Then you agree with the fact Nintendo was not in last place.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"] He using the history order for those of us that reading about gaming history generation are very easy to define.

I am not talking about the DC, I said I would consider that as being counted. It's the NUMBER order that is wrong.

What out of order?
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"] It's a mute point because every gamer should know they lost, why type meanless information.

I never said it was.... Outside the Wiki 2nd gen.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"] He using the history order for those of us that reading about gaming history generation are very easy to define.

What out of order?

Of the gens.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"] So could the Saturn and Dreamcast, you are not making much of a point here.

Nintendo does not have a 2nd generation home console. I will assume you are talking about Color TV Game, in which case it still outsold most of its competition.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="Thecongregation"] I never said it was.... Outside the Wiki 2nd gen.

What are you talking about during 2nd gen Nintendo was making Pong machines in Japan only. Still not sure where your going with all of this.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="HarlockJC"] Then you agree with the fact Nintendo was not in last place.

Nintendo does not have a 2nd generation home console. I will assume you are talking about Color TV Game, in which case it still outsold most of its competition.

No it didn;t/ Not at all..
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"] I never said it was.... Outside the Wiki 2nd gen.

What are you talking about during 2nd gen Nintendo was making Pong machines in Japan only. Still not sure where your going with all of this.

Pong "machines"? No they had the color TV game. Which is the name, and it was released second gen, and the lowest selling of them all. Japanese only means nothing at all. Otherwise since the Saturn sold more in Japan only, we might as well not count it. Which is exactly against your own defense. Point is, yeah they did, but not with modern non-dedicated consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"] I never said it was.... Outside the Wiki 2nd gen.

It sold 3 million. More than the Fairchild or the ColecoVision.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#86 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Why are people even having this discussion?

Nintendo was never last place in sales, this gen they realistically COULD be.  I don't get why there's an argument regarding this.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 HarlockJC
[QUOTE="Thecongregation"] Pong "machines"? No they had the color TV game. Which is the name, and it was released second gen, and the lowest selling of them all.

That what the generic name giving to those type of consoles back then. By your posts I was not sure you would know the term Color TV. You have still yet to make any points.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Nintendo does not have a 2nd generation home console. I will assume you are talking about Color TV Game, in which case it still outsold most of its competition.

It sold 3 million. More than the Fairchild or the ColecoVision.

No, there are more than 1 color Tv game systems. Different controls., different power, different controllers. It's like Intellivision, no one combined Intellivision 2-4.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

We need a new sheep king NOW. Can't wait until SWA. :evil:

Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Thecongregation
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"][QUOTE="Thecongregation"] Pong "machines"? No they had the color TV game. Which is the name, and it was released second gen, and the lowest selling of them all.

That what the generic name giving to those type of consoles back then. By your posts I was not sure you would know the term Color TV. You have still yet to make any points.

Before the Color Tv game yeah, the TV color game did not come out first gen stop. You have no points whatsoever.
emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

It will sell better than the Ouya. 

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#92 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Nintendo is already in last place.......and WiiU a big failure for Nintendo.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Thecongregation
HOWEVER, charizard, it still beat the Vectrex so you are right. However, you would still be wrong since the Ouya is still a bit behind. I doubt it will be very successful for the european launch.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Thecongregation
Nintendo is already in last place.......and WiiU a big failure for Nintendo.AtariKidX
Currently the Ouya is still behind. It's pass or failure will depend on the.....,Hyped? European launch.
Thecongregation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Thecongregation

We need a new sheep king NOW. Can't wait until SWA. :evil:

Jonwh18
He's the Sheep king? Wow, this should be easy then, I mean, he .literally in the topic title says he gave up on them.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Dont worry Charizard, im sure you will inculde Ouya or Steam Boxes in your sales list to keep the Wii U out of last place :P

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

It will sell better than the Ouya. 

emgesp

That doesn't count. It plays phone games.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Nintendo is already in last place.......and WiiU a big failure for Nintendo.AtariKidX
Already? The gen's done? :|
treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Hopefully.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts
Put it this way. I don't foresee any of its competitors selling worse than GC, which Wii-U is already doing.