Will this generation be the first time Nintendo ends in last place?

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nintendo's track record with consoles is impressive: after thirty years and five consoles on the market, they have never ever had a console that ended in last place. But with this coming generation and the struggles of the Wii U, does someone think that impressive streak will be coming to an end? Or does the Wii U have a legitimate shot at pulling itself out of the hole that it dug for itself and ending up in at least second place?

EDIT: Right, since a lot of people on here seem to have poor memories:

Third Generation:

1. Nintendo Entertainment System
  2. Sega Master System
  3. Atari 7800

Fourth Generation:

1. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
  2. Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
  3. TurboGrafx-16

Fifth Generation:

1. PlayStation
  2. Nintendo 64
  3. Sega Saturn

Sixth Generation:

1. PlayStation 2
  2. Xbox
  3. Nintendo Gamecube
  4. Dreamcast

Seventh Generation:

1. Wii
  2. PlayStation 3
  3. Xbox 360
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
Nintengodno will be last place in games as always and the wii eww will be last in games and sales like the gcn
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

It could be!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Nintengodno will be last place in games as always and the wii eww will be last in games and sales like the gcnTheKingIAm
The Gamecube was neither last place in sales nor games, you imbecile.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Wii U is finished as a competitor to the PS4 and Xbox one. If you enjoy Nintendo's 1st Party then good on you. You'll have those to play on it. 3rd Parties like Bethesda have already said Wii U isn't getting their games and as much as Ubisoft and EA say they will support the Wii U, wait until PS3 / 360 development stops next year for future projects and see if that holds true. Gamecube barely won against a new entry in the original Xbox and Wii had the casuals and non gamers buying it for a few years. Wii U is going to get the core fanbase support (20-25 million) and that's it.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]Nintengodno will be last place in games as always and the wii eww will be last in games and sales like the gcncharizard1605

The DC was discontinued before the gcn was even released. Doesn't count because it didnt live a whole life span.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]Nintengodno will be last place in games as always and the wii eww will be last in games and sales like the gcnTheKingIAm

The DC was discontinued before the gcn was even released. Doesn't count because it didnt live a whole life span.

It counts perfectly fine; it launched, it sold 10 million, Sega couldn't support it, it got discontinued. The Gamecube, within the same generation, sold more than twice that. Of course, I assume all this is too much for your limited intelligence to process all at once.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheKingIAm
Wii U is finished as a competitor to the PS4 and Xbox one. If you enjoy Nintendo's 1st Party then good on you. You'll have those to play on it. 3rd Parties like Bethesda have already said Wii U isn't getting their games and as much as Ubisoft and EA say they will support the Wii U, wait until PS3 / 360 development stops next year for future projects and see if that holds true. Gamecube barely won against a new entry in the original Xbox and Wii had the casuals and non gamers buying it for a few years. Wii U is going to get the core fanbase support (20-25 million) and that's it.FlamesOfGrey
The gc actually sold less than the xbox despite being on the shelves a year longer
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

It wouldn't be the 1st time they ended last place. Gamecube, though profitable, came in dead least in Gen 6. 

As for this upcoming gen, up against PS4 and XB1, I can see them pulling better numbers than GC, but nowhere near Wii level sales. I expect the WiiU to be like "N64 sales". 

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts
Yep
NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

What a sad sight, a once proud Sheep king wallowing in despair and nostalgia, tearfully coming to terms with the magnitude of Wii-U failure... :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

N64?  

kingoflife9
Sold more than Saturn

It wouldn't be the 1st time they ended last place. Gamecube, though profitable, came in dead least in Gen 6. 

As for this upcoming gen, up against PS4 and XB1, I can see them pulling better numbers than GC, but nowhere near Wii level sales. I expect the WiiU to be like "N64 sales". 

KingsofQueens
Sold more than Dreamcast
NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

What a sad sight, a once proud Sheep king wallowing in despair and nostalgia, tearfully coming to terms with the magnitude of Wii-U failure... :(

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

both the N64 and GC were last place in sales.

edit: oh yeah, I forgot about the Saturn and Dreamcast....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

both the N64 and GC were last place in sales.

Gue1
N64 sold more than Saturn and ended up second place in a crowded marketplace; Gamecube sold more than Dreamcast.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#17 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

[QUOTE="kingoflife9"]

N64?  

charizard1605

Sold more than Saturn

KingsofQueens

Sold more than Dreamcast

Even though Dreamcast got SEGA nuked out of the hardware business?

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] The Gamecube was neither last place in sales nor games, you imbecile.

It counts perfectly fine; it launched, it sold 10 million, Sega couldn't support it, it got discontinued. The Gamecube, within the same generation, sold more than twice that. Of course, I assume all this is too much for your limited intelligence to process all at once.

Oh lord, the dc sold half as much as the gc despite living only 3 years. Had the dc lived longer it most likely would have sold more than the gamecube. It is very low of you to say the gc came in second place when it wasnt even competing with the dreamcast.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Yeah. Remember when the "Wii" brand was cool? In some ways it's worse than the decline from PS2 to PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

nintendoboy16
I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my point [QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Oh lord, the dc sold half as much as the gc despite living only 3 years. Had the dc lived longer it most likely would have sold more than the gamecube. It is very low of you to say the gc came in second place when it wasnt even competing with the dreamcast.

I never said the GC came in second place. I said it came in third place. Out of four. The Dreamcast sold 10 million in three years. The Gamecube sold 22 million in five. The Gamecube would have outsold it even if the Dreamcast had stuck around.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

[QUOTE="kingoflife9"]

N64?  

charizard1605

Sold more than Saturn

KingsofQueens

Sold more than Dreamcast

Yes it did but Dreamcast was already a sunken ship by 2005. If we're talking about Global sales among the BIG 3 POPULAR CONSOLES where POPULAR support was still being made for the BIG 3, then yes, GC was dead last......AMONG the BIG 3 POPULAR CONSOLES. 

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

charizard1605
I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my point [QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Oh lord, the dc sold half as much as the gc despite living only 3 years. Had the dc lived longer it most likely would have sold more than the gamecube. It is very low of you to say the gc came in second place when it wasnt even competing with the dreamcast.

I never said the GC came in second place. I said it came in third place. Out of four. The Dreamcast sold 10 million in three years. The Gamecube sold 22 million in five. The Gamecube would have outsold it even if the Dreamcast had stuck around.

The GCN still sold last to its competitors.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Yes it did but Dreamcast was already a sunken ship by 2005. If we're talking about Global sales among the BIG 3 POPULAR CONSOLES where POPULAR support was still being made for the BIG 3, then yes, GC was dead last......AMONG the BIG 3 POPULAR CONSOLES. 

KingsofQueens
That is just goalpost shifting. The Dreamcast was a mainstream console launched and sold by a major console maker that sold well, and was the discontinued because the manufacturer didn't have the money to support it. It's not like I pointed to some obscure Chinese console here; the Dreamcast was a major console, and the Gamecube beat it.
mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

I think Wii U will end up filling in a void for people who aren't that hardcore or want to pay for online, and just care about games (and more so, Nintendo games). It'll end up creating its own category. I also think 2014 will be the year it sells very well. But in the end, it's going to end up being the console you get along with your ps4 or xbox 1 for many.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
nintendo lost to microsoft on the gamecube gen, somehow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] The GCN still sold last to its competitors.

It sold last to two out of three. It was third place out of four. You have been proven wrong. Again. Next.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] The GCN still sold last to its competitors.

It sold last to two out of three. It was third place out of four. You have been proven wrong. Again. Next.

It only had 2 competitors. You're really reaching
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#28 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

charizard1605

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my point.

It's easy to see why the Dreamcast doesn't count to many people in the console wars. It had WAY too short of lifespan (the kind of lifespan people wanted out of the GameCube and want out of the Wii U). I'd never thought I'd do this, but KingIAm makes a decent point on why it's considered "disqualified".

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Sad to see so many people forget / don't know about Sega consoles :(

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

Hmm perhaps; though if you are counting the Dreamcast/Saturn, I guess you will also count Ouya/Steambox?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

nintendoboy16

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with my point.

It's easy to see why the Dreamcast doesn't count to many people in the console wars. It had WAY too short of lifespan (the kind of lifespan people wanted out of the GameCube and want out of the Wii U). I'd never thought I'd do this, but KingIAm makes a decent point on why it's considered "disqualified".

But it doesn't get disqualified, sorry. That argument is as absurd and asinine as shifting generational goalposts to exclude Wii/Wii U.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] The GCN still sold last to its competitors.

chaz, you're the only person counting sega on these polls, the dreamcast was pretty much dead before the gamecube arrived :P
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

Gamecube flopped big. Got it for like 100 euro with a game, which is the least I ever paid for a new console with a game.

Still, gamecube was one of my favourite Nintendo systems of all time. It had a lot of great games, though for the people that only owned a gamecube at that time it was hell, as the game releases were far in between. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Hmm perhaps; though if you are counting the Dreamcast/Saturn, I guess you will also count Ouya/Steambox?

_Matt_
Ouya I have no problems counting. Is SteamBox a console? [QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] chaz, you're the only person counting sega on these polls, the dreamcast was pretty much dead before the gamecube arrived :P

a) Quite a few people seem agree on the first page b) If I am the only one counting them, then apparently I am the only one with an iota of sense on this board.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#35 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="TheKingIAm"]Nintengodno will be last place in games as always and the wii eww will be last in games and sales like the gcnTheKingIAm

Why wouldn't it count?  It died, and so it was last place.

Deevoshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Deevoshun
Member since 2003 • 868 Posts

Last or first place it doesn't matter to me, when a new Zelda or Metroid comes out I'll be picking it up.  No doubt these will be quality games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

[QUOTE="KingsofQueens"]

charizard1605

That is just goalpost shifting. The Dreamcast was a mainstream console launched and sold by a major console maker that sold well, and was the discontinued because the manufacturer didn't have the money to support it. It's not like I pointed to some obscure Chinese console here; the Dreamcast was a major console, and the Gamecube beat it.

YOU can go by that if you see it that way, and arguing with you will likely be pointless. 

But I'm sticking to my point. 

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheKingIAm
[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

charizard1605
Ouya I have no problems counting. Is SteamBox a console? [QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] chaz, you're the only person counting sega on these polls, the dreamcast was pretty much dead before the gamecube arrived :P

a) Quite a few people seem agree on the first page b) If I am the only one counting them, then apparently I am the only one with an iota of sense on this board.

Char: :cry:
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I'm not willing to say that until someone else comes out with a better system with a better library. Right now they are number 1 in both.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 inggrish

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

charizard1605

Ouya I have no problems counting. Is SteamBox a console?

By definition I guess it is - it's a machine with an OS designed for gaming, has a dedicated controller and ports for gaming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

YOU can go by that if you see it that way, and arguing with you will likely be pointless. 

But I'm sticking to my point. 

KingsofQueens
Like I said, the argument that Dreamcast doesn't count as ridiculous as shifting the definitions of what a generation is. [QUOTE="TheKingIAm"] Char: :cry:

TheKingIAm: I have a raging boner for Nintendo, oh noez!!!
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Potentially. If they hit the right pricepoint, and get onto it with games, I think it might do well. If they don't take too long, naturally.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="_Matt_"]

_Matt_

By definition I guess it is - it's a machine with an OS designed for gaming, has a dedicated controller and ports for gaming.

I have no problems counting it as a console, then.
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 inggrish

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Ouya I have no problems counting. Is SteamBox a console? charizard1605

Well then the WiiU will most certainly not be last (referring to Ouya at least)..

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheKingIAm

[QUOTE="TheKingIAm"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] The Gamecube was neither last place in sales nor games, you imbecile.NeonNinja

Why wouldn't it count?  It died, and so it was last place.

Because the GCN wasn't competing with the DC
inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 inggrish

[QUOTE="_Matt_"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Ouya I have no problems counting. Is SteamBox a console? charizard1605

Well then the WiiU will most certainly not be last (referring to Ouya at least)..

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

_Matt_

I disagree. I don't know many consoles that are open like the steambox and basically say: "If you want to hack or modify this stuff or put different software or another OS on it: no problem."

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I thought the Mega Drive outsold the SNES. Shame people are forgetting the Sega consoles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

_Matt_

Of course, it remains to be seen if Ouya will be considered a console or a new 'microconsole' when all is said and done, but yes, it might get out again, on a sheer technicality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

I agree with KINGIAM and even Nintendoboy16 agrees :lol: