Will this be the first time for Nintendo?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by charizard1605 (55964 posts) 6 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Will this be the first time for Nintendo? (45 votes)

Yes 62%
No 38%

To date, no single Nintendo system has been last place in terms of sales. Their handhelds were all first place, three of their consoles were first place, one was second place, and one was third place. But none was ever last place.

Will Wii U be the first Nintendo system/console to finish in last?

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26268 posts) -

Well, unless you disregard the Dreamcast (which got nuked out of the race before the XBOX and GameCube came out, where the console war truly started)...

#2 Posted by Ballroompirate (22554 posts) -

Wait the Gamecube beat the Xbox?

#3 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

I voted no, but thats because I don't consider Dreamcast to have really been part of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen. It was more of a in-between system. It was dead before the GC and Xbox even arrived, so as far as I'm concerned, that was a three way dance, and Nintendo came up last.

#4 Posted by KBFloYd (13131 posts) -

gamecube was last.

or for heil68....dead last lol

#5 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (7180 posts) -

3rd place is Gamecube, beating out the Dreamcast. 2nd place is the N64, which outsold the Saturn.

#6 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9522 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

gamecube was last.

Technically, no. The DreamCast was apart of that generation, although it died before the GameCube was even released.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

gamecube was last.

No it wasn't, Dreamcast was a part of that generation too

@Randolph said:

I voted no, but thats because I don't consider Dreamcast to have really been part of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen. It was more of a in-between system. It was dead before the GC and Xbox even arrived, so as far as I'm concerned, that was a three way dance, and Nintendo came up last.

You can't play with generational definitions. Dreamcast was a part of that generation, it lost, Gamecube was third.

#8 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9522 posts) -

I think it's still too early to tell. I would be inclined to say GameCube, but a lot can happen to any of the console producers.

#9 Edited by kuu2 (6958 posts) -

Yes without a shadow of doubt. Still irked at Nintendo for releasing Zelda on the Wii instead of the Cube.

#10 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7180 posts) -

Probably. Time will tell.

#11 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7180 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Yes without a shadow of doubt. Still irked at Nintendo for releasing Zelda on the Wii instead of the Cube.

What? They released Twilight Princess on both. I have both versions.

#12 Posted by osan0 (12620 posts) -

are we including the micro android console?
that issue will need to be tackled in SW at some stage.

but yes it will. the DC was a dnf but a dnf is still in the race at one point. in a race the last over the line is still ranked higher than a DNF.

#13 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26268 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

I think he means on the Wii first.

#14 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7180 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@kuu2 said:

Ohhhhh man, the Gamecube version was released a whole two weeks later than the Wii version. It's criminal!

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

But they did release it on Cube, and the Cube version was better

@osan0 said:

are we including the micro android console?

that issue will need to be tackled in SW at some stage.

but yes it will. the DC was a dnf but a dnf is still in the race at one point. in a race the last over the line is still ranked higher than a DNF.

Nah, Ouya won't count.

#16 Edited by kuu2 (6958 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

@kuu2 said:

Ohhhhh man, the Gamecube version was released a whole two weeks later than the Wii version. It's criminal!

But they delayed it for a very long time just to put it out on the Wii first. It was an insult to the fans that were waiting for it and turned me off big time.

#17 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9522 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Are you talking about Twilight Princess? That is on the GameCube.

#18 Edited by hiphops_savior (7856 posts) -

First failure? No

First time being last place? No

Is Nintendo doomed? Not yet, though not having a reliable market share is worrisome, and this time, Japan is not a market Nintendo can bank on.

Nintendo isn't doomed, but they are living on borrowed time.

#19 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

How can the Dreamcast be considered part of the Gamecube generation when you could get Sega games for the Gamecube?

#20 Edited by drekula2 (1906 posts) -

yea because there isn't sega around.

#21 Edited by lamprey263 (23091 posts) -

Hard to imagine the Dreamcast counting as I saw it more a GC/PS2/Xbox generation, the Dreamcast was out of the picture in just over a year's time of it's release outside Japan, and discontinued a year after the PS2 release and months before the release of either the Xbox or GameCube.

#22 Posted by ratchet_usa (361 posts) -

nintendo game cube came out last selling only 20 million in 7 years LMAO. Talk about a Flop, look up the word in a dictionary and I am sure game cube is right next to it lol.

#23 Posted by Rock-City (1238 posts) -

I forgot that I even owned a Dreamcast back in 2000 that things lifespan was so fleeting. And Twilight Princess did come out on GC because I bought it. Too bad it sucked; way too easy.

#24 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4372 posts) -

that's a good point.

well, in any race there have to be losers.

#25 Edited by gameofthering (10126 posts) -

How can the Dreamcast be considered part of the Gamecube generation when you could get Sega games for the Gamecube?

Saturn - Dreamcast
PS1 - PS2
N64 - Gamecube
N/A - Xbox

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (55964 posts) -

nintendo game cube came out last selling only 20 million in 7 years LMAO. Talk about a Flop, look up the word in a dictionary and I am sure game cube is right next to it lol.

Gamecube sold 23 million in four years.

Facts, how do they work?

Sega went third party and put its games on Gamecube, how does that have to do with anything?

First failure? No

First time being last place? No

Is Nintendo doomed? Not yet, though not having a reliable market share is worrisome, and this time, Japan is not a market Nintendo can bank on.

Nintendo isn't doomed, but they are living on borrowed time.

I never said anything about either Nintendo being doomed or failing. I asked about them being last place.

The Gamecube did pretty dismally from a standalone perspective, and for Nintendo, it was a highly profitable venture and investment.

#27 Edited by hiphops_savior (7856 posts) -

@charizard1605: You didn't. Though you should know by now that any topic that involves the state of Nintendo always degenerates into "hur hur, Nintendooomed!!!!" and "PS4 will save Sony's junk credit ratings".

Key word here is profit. Gamecube did make Nintendo a tidy sum, however, it also convinced them that Nintendo cannot continue to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft. Right now, the Wii U is selling at a "slight" loss. Nintendo has the funds set aside to float for a couple of years, however, they need to an answer right now.

As nice as profits are, Nintendo's market shares in home consoles have been shrinking since the N64. The Wii was an exception to it.

#28 Edited by dobzilian (2490 posts) -
#29 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4372 posts) -
#30 Posted by Alcapello (770 posts) -

No.

#31 Posted by Gue1 (9491 posts) -

N64 was last, GameCube was last and the reason the Wii was a souped-up GC it's because they had no money and were on a really tight spot financially.

#32 Edited by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

N64 was last, GameCube was last and the reason the Wii was a souped-up GC it's because they had no money and were on a really tight spot financially.

The saturn was behind the 64 and the dreamcast lost to gamecube. Try again.

#33 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26268 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Considering the Saturn was kicking N64's ass in Japan. No...

#34 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

3 of their last 4 consoles have been flops, not really a big surprise.

#35 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

why does it matter? you think they weren't disappointed when they were in second?

#36 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3459 posts) -
The Wii U will dominate. You'll see.
#37 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4025 posts) -

They will come last, but sales are not their problem, they have to change a lot internally. But until they can admit they have a problem, their home console business will just keep getting worse.

#38 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

I voted No, because I still have faith that Nintendo will turn this around. I hope they do, and the only way they can is with games, games and more games.

I like the WiiU way more than I liked the Wii, because it doesn't have that stupid motion gimmick. Just bought Donkey Kong Country and will play it couch co-op like I did NSMBU, which was a lot of fun.

that's a good point.

And in this race it's consoles.

Fighting over second place, lol

#39 Posted by joehult (363 posts) -

Depends on if the steambox makes enough of a dent to be included in the conversation. If it's dead on arrival, wiiu is last place. If they somehow manage a couple million sales then die out, wiiu is saved from embarrassment.

#40 Posted by jsmoke03 (12734 posts) -

@Randolph said:

then would you consider the wii u an in between?

dreamcast followed after the saturn...so it was the first of the ps2/gc/xbox gen. dreamcast games were more like ps2 games than ps1 era games

and yes they are going to end up in last place this gen

#41 Posted by Lucianu (9349 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

I voted No, because I still have faith that Nintendo will turn this around. I hope they do, and the only way they can is with games, games and more games.

I like the WiiU way more than I liked the Wii, because it doesn't have that stupid motion gimmick. Just bought Donkey Kong Country and will play it couch co-op like I did NSMBU, which was a lot of fun.

I don't think that's possible. I'd bet everything on the Wii U ending up in third place, but that doesn't mean it's going to lack good games. It has a much more appealing library of exclusives than either the Xbone or PS4, but it can have all the games in the world without strong marketing.

I think that a aggressive marketing campaign, going all out on TV and the internet showing off games and whatnot, can boost sales exponentially. Without a doubt, that is the solution to their problem. But for whatever reason, they aren't going for it.

#42 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16294 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

I don't think that's possible. I'd bet everything on the Wii U ending up in third place, but that doesn't mean it's going to lack good games. It has a much more appealing library of exclusives than either the Xbone or PS4, but it can have all the games in the world without strong marketing.

I think that a aggressive marketing campaign, going all out on TV and the internet showing off games and whatnot, can boost sales exponentially. Without a doubt, that is the solution to their problem. But for whatever reason, they aren't going for it.

Agreed, I'm sure many people still don't know what a WiiU is or that it even exists.

In the worst case, like you said, the console will be in third place but will have a strong library of Nintendo games, which I really enjoy. I had a lot of fun with the Gamecube and that one sold poor too.

#43 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17319 posts) -

N64?

#44 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26268 posts) -

Wasn't that technically in SECOND place? Saturn was still in the fight so to speak, ESPECIALLY in Japan where it beat the N64, while in NA/EU, it struggled like hell.

#45 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4243 posts) -

It appears so. Unfortunately Nintendo consoles have generally been on a downward slope in terms of sales from generation to generation, with the Wii being the obvious exception. From 61.91m for the NES, 49.10m for the SNES, 32.93m for the Nintendo 64 to 21.74m for the Gamecube (Wiki figures, probably inaccurate but close enough). The Wii reversed that trend but now it appears to have just been an aberration.

#46 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

Nintendo may finish second if Microsoft decide to discontinue the Xbone or something.

#47 Edited by Heil68 (43414 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

gamecube was last.

Well in all honesty, the WiiU is going to be..dead last too :P

#48 Posted by Mario1331 (8815 posts) -

@charizard1605: You didn't. Though you should know by now that any topic that involves the state of Nintendo always degenerates into "hur hur, Nintendooomed!!!!" and "PS4 will save Sony's junk credit ratings".

Key word here is profit. Gamecube did make Nintendo a tidy sum, however, it also convinced them that Nintendo cannot continue to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft. Right now, the Wii U is selling at a "slight" loss. Nintendo has the funds set aside to float for a couple of years, however, they need to an answer right now.

As nice as profits are, Nintendo's market shares in home consoles have been shrinking since the N64. The Wii was an exception to it.

so if wii was 2 years ago there home market can't be shrinking that low now can it?

and out of curiosity how do you know how much money nintendo has to stay around for?

#49 Posted by Mario1331 (8815 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

…..is there a website that says nintendo was broke or something? i really would like to see it

#50 Posted by SolidTy (42412 posts) -

that's a good point.