will ps4 end up being the cheapest?

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

salutations

so down the track, all the consoles will experience multiple price drops.

i predict the ps4 has a shot at being the cheapest console - even cheaper than wii u. simple ps4 + controller sku.

wii u's got to include the expensive gamepad. and microsoft want to include kinect with every console sold. i think this will only make it tougher to sell their system cheaper, as surely the bulk of the price drop of costs won't occur with kinect or the wii u controller - but with the manufacture of the console itself. therefore, as ps4 is a barry-the-basic set up, it might experience the most potential for price drops.

what do you think? in time, could this gen's most powerful gaming console end up being the cheapest?

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

salutations

i predict the ps4 has a shot at being the cheapest console - even cheaper than wii u. simple ps4 + controller sku.

wii u's got to include the expensive gamepad. and microsoft want to include kinect with every console sold. i think this will only make it tougher to sell their system cheaper, as surely the bulk of the price drop of costs won't occur with kinect or the wii u controller - but with the manufacture of the console itself. therefore, as ps4 is a barry-the-basic set up, it might experience the most potential for price drops.

what do you think? in time, could this gen's most powerful gaming console end up being the cheapest?

The PS3 is not under $199 and its been out for a long time.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

hard to say. we all know Xbox One definitely does NOT need Kinect to function in any way whatsoever and despite it being included in each box, it's doubtful we'll ever see any IPs that truly take advantage of it. MS WANTS to sell Kinect, but I still believe they'll eventually throw in the towel.

Nintendo does seem to be pretty stingy about pricedrops as it is, but they are already cheapest and have been out longer, so combined with the fact their system is selling the worst out of the 3, it makes sense for them to have a pricedrop.

PS4 is selling like hotcakes and they still have trouble keeping up with demand worldwide. I don't really see Sony cutting the price of the system soon. Eventually? Sure. We all know how they handle their systems. We can likely expect a slimmer system with more HDD space down the line as well. But who knows if they'll release it with lower cost than what the original model is selling at time of release or not. They didn't do it with the super slim ps3.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

SONY has that luxury to react if they want to whatever MS does to keep up the tremendous sales that they have been having,.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrownKingArthur
@Heil68 said:

SONY has that luxury to react if they want to whatever MS does to keep up the tremendous sales that they have been having,.

yeah. i totally agree man, they have given themselves the luxury. it just seems like the simple approach to the ps4 could really pay off down the track when aggressive price drops are used to shift units at holiday times.

the wii u gamepad and xbox one kinect(lol) don't seem cheap, so really what I'm getting at is - in the future, when they're having a holiday sale, the PS4 could not only end up the cheapest, but the cheapest with the most margin.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the ps4 is not cheap, it's reasonably priced. Cheap was the X360 with DVD9, no bluetooh, no wifi or HDMI output when it came out.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Not really considering their financial status at the moment and the fact that M$ still makes more money per Xbox I'don't see any price drops coming anytime soon. I do think Sony will have a price drop the price and come out with a 1Tb system with a minimum $50 difference, something along the lines of the 500gb PS4 being anywhere from $300-$350 and the 1TB PS4 ranging from $400-$450.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Some reason I don't think the PS4 is going to have a price drop for a very long time. The PS3 is currently over priced atm. I wouldn't put it past MS to release a Kinectless sku and lower the price to match and then some.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xhawk27

@Heil68 said:

Good thing Sony didn't bundle the Move(lol) or the PS4 camera(lol) in with the PS4.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

PS4 main board, a barren wasteland of cheap off the shelf parts. Huge discounts are 100% coming.

The Xbox ONE main board. A sophisticated, complex array that hasn't even begun to start its run of potential. These components are the future and the future cost money. If Microsoft does a price drop it will be because they started to manufacture some components themselves.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Hard to say. MS may find ways to lower the X1 to the same price as PS4. Sony may have to keep it at $400 longer than MS has to keep the X1 at $500.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clr84651

@FoxbatAlpha said:

PS4 main board, a barren wasteland of cheap off the shelf parts. Huge discounts are 100% coming.

The Xbox ONE main board. A sophisticated, complex array that hasn't even begun to start its run of potential. These components are the future and the future cost money. If Microsoft does a price drop it will be because they started to manufacture some components themselves.

Translation....MS built a bulkier console due to it's ability to do TV, Kinect, & other stuff they wanted in their console. Sony built their console less bulkier and streamlined to do games very well.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoxbatAlpha

@clr84651 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Translation....MS built a bulkier console due to it's ability to do TV, Kinect, & other stuff they wanted in their console. Sony built their console less bulkier and streamlined to do games very well.

Everything on those boards does something. Sony didn't just decide to build a small console. They decided to build a cheap one. Out of all the Playstations the PS4 is the cheapest to manufacture. The company is in trouble and producing a cheap replacement to the PS3 was the only option. But hey, that option is working.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@Heil68 said:

They don't have the luxury because they don't have the money. Its a numbers game and MS has the money to lower the price when they desire. Sony doesn't have nearly as much liberty to do so.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

When Peter Moore was heading Xbox at start of last gen he said they knew they had come out first, and be cheaper. Now Sony learned from that and like ps2 will remain cheaper as the gen goes on and they sell more.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@FoxbatAlpha said:

So basically what you're saying is that Microsoft are idiots and they've screwed themselves over in yet another way? Cool.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FoxbatAlpha

@bobbetybob said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

So basically what you're saying is that Microsoft are idiots and they've screwed themselves over in yet another way? Cool.

Basically that isnt anything like i said at all. This console is designed for the future. When Sonys peaks in another 2 months THE ONE will be ready to adjust for the future. Sony maybe able to do a big price drop but no one will want it. Kinda like the Wii. It was great at first but then moms and kids even threw rocks at it.

It is the start of a long gen. XBOX will be the one who makes it to the finish.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ButDuuude

The computer in the black and white photo must better because it's bigger.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CrownKingArthur

@ButDuuude: sorry mate, i'm lost. is that for me to think about?

i'm wondering if ps4 has the greatest potential for price drops due to it's simple yet brute force nature. eg: no gamepad / kinect(lol) impeding price drop potential.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bobbetybob
@FoxbatAlpha said:

@bobbetybob said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Basically that isnt anything like i said at all. This console is designed for the future. When Sonys peaks in another 2 months THE ONE will be ready to adjust for the future. Sony maybe able to do a big price drop but no one will want it. Kinda like the Wii. It was great at first but then moms and kids even threw rocks at it.

Xbox should make their own range of condiments, then the secret sauce you desire so much could finally be yours.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FoxbatAlpha

@bobbetybob said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

@bobbetybob said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

Xbox should make their own range of condiments, then the secret sauce you desire so much could finally be yours.

I'm glad you conceded.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bobbetybob
@FoxbatAlpha said:

I'm glad you conceded.

Yes because I don't come to System Wars to argue about stupid hypothetical situations based on absolutely 0 fact unlike some people. You provide proof that the Xbox One can magically get more powerful other than "DX12 will save it!" and then we can have a discussion, until then I "concede".

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@slimdogmilionar said:

@Heil68 said:

Not really considering their financial status at the moment and the fact that M$ still makes more money per Xbox I'don't see any price drops coming anytime soon. I do think Sony will have a price drop the price and come out with a 1Tb system with a minimum $50 difference, something along the lines of the 500gb PS4 being anywhere from $300-$350 and the 1TB PS4 ranging from $400-$450.

Microsoft is not making money on the Xbox One sales now unless you believe retailers are eating the losses on these cheap bundles.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Love it. If you close your eyes, cross your fingers and hold your breath this may actually happen!

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#25 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

Depends on what country you're talking about and where factories for making the PS4 are located.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FoxbatAlpha

@bobbetybob said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

I'm glad you conceded.

Yes because I don't come to System Wars to argue about stupid hypothetical situations based on absolutely 0 fact unlike some people. You provide proof that the Xbox One can magically get more powerful other than "DX12 will save it!" and then we can have a discussion, until then I "concede".

Ok, you think DX12 is a joke and wont acknowledge that the Xbox had hidden hardware. You are scared to admit that like most people around here.

Until then you should go back to OT and have fun with "those guys".

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ButDuuude
@CrownKingArthur said:

@ButDuuude: sorry mate, i'm lost. is that for me to think about?

i'm wondering if ps4 has the greatest potential for price drops due to it's simple yet brute force nature. eg: no gamepad / kinect(lol) impeding price drop potential.

Sorry, not directed at you (see motherboard comparison pics above). Just meant to say that advancements in technology have been making our electronics smaller and a bigger/bulkier device doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FoxbatAlpha

@highking_kallor said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Love it. If you close your eyes, cross your fingers and hold your breath this may actually happen!

When you add Sonys track record as a failing company, Microsofts drive to get a Xbox into every house, the hardware differences and limitations, the soon to be E3 shows and scientific hypothesis....................then yes it could all make sense and happen.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

I don't see why not. I'm not too familiar with console sales but don't consoles usually sell at a loss and profit on games anyways? I'm planning on buying the first console to hit 200.

highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 highking_kallor

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@highking_kallor said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

When you add Sonys track record as a failing company, Microsofts drive to get a Xbox into every house, the hardware differences and limitations, the soon to be E3 shows and scientific hypothesis....................then yes it could all make sense and happen.

Yeah bro. Fully agree. Going to dump my ps4 and buy 3 xbones. Chuck my lappie into the lake as well. Xbox xbox xbox (beats chest). Maybe I could by them cheap of my mates who dont want theirs anymore?

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By slimdogmilionar

@highking_kallor said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If people pay attention you can see it now. The big boys, AMD, Nvidia, and M$ all working on the same page as far as hardware and developing goes but Sony is just now playing catch-up to do what these three companies already knew was coming. Not saying Xbox is more powerful, but M$ would be the company to know where technology will be in 10 years. Unlike M$ I doubt Sony will be working with Intel, AMD, or Nvidia on future advancements during this generation. You have to take into mind that xbox is not just M$ innovation but they also have input from other big name tech companies, when you enter the PC universe you have no choice but to deal with M$. Even PS4 had to use some parts from DX 11 because the parts used are parts optimized for PC's.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FoxbatAlpha

@slimdogmilionar said:

@highking_kallor said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If people pay attention you can see it now. The big boys, AMD, Nvidia, and M$ all working on the same page as far as hardware and developing goes but Sony is just now playing catch-up to do what these three companies already knew was coming. Not saying Xbox is more powerful, but M$ would be the company to know where technology will be in 10 years. Unlike M$ I doubt Sony will be working with Intel, AMD, or Nvidia on future advancements during this generation. You have to take into mind that xbox is not just M$ innovation but they also have input from other big name tech companies, when you enter the PC universe you have no choice but to deal with M$. Even PS4 had to use some parts from DX 11 because the parts used are parts optimized for PC's.

Damn good input. It is so true how all the manufacturers are intertwined somehow these days. They all have collaborated recently but at the same time still have their secrets.

It is also a breath of fresh air when someone adds something useful to a conversation around here these days. For that I thank you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Doubt it, MS will drop the Kinect and since it's gone with the DDR3, ESRAM combo and weaker GPU they'll get the die size and production cost down faster.

Id be surprised if price stops the PS4 though, it's got that must have aura around it at the moment and given the X1 hasn't done too well despite Titanfall and the X1 price drop.

highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By highking_kallor

@slimdogmilionar said:

@highking_kallor said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If that was true ms would not have put in the tv rubbish as it will be irrelevant in less than 10 year chump.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#36  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

It's $320 on Cowboom.

highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 highking_kallor

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@highking_kallor said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Damn good input. It is so true how all the manufacturers are intertwined somehow these days. They all have collaborated recently but at the same time still have their secrets.

It is also a breath of fresh air when someone adds something useful to a conversation around here these days. For that I thank you.

Bet that tasted nice. Anything you don't swallow?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FoxbatAlpha

@highking_kallor: lol, you are obsessed with the TV aspect of THE ONE. Don't be, the console can eliminate that just like a app. The future holds many things in store for THE ONE and adapting to it is its strong points.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

They are cheap AMD APUs. They cost peanuts. They will drop in price early and often. If either drops in price expect the other to follow suit immediately

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

that's a tough thing to predict, cheapest I imagine will come to whichever develops a disc free system down the line supported by a robust digital medium

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CrownKingArthur
@lamprey263 said:

that's a tough thing to predict, cheapest I imagine will come to whichever develops a disc free system down the line supported by a robust digital medium

yes!

now that's an interesting angle. if all three of them produced a driveless SKU, well, i still think ps4 can be the cheapest. (assuming wii u needs the gamepad, and xb1 keeps including kinect)

also, i think xb1 would do very well being discless, ps4 - probably just as well, wii u - i suspect it would not do so well being discless, unless the future discless sku had >10x the storage capacity of current wii u models. (or customers were fine plugging in usb hard discs)

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By handssss

@FoxbatAlpha said:

a pity. all that extra room and it doesnt even amount to equal power

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xhawk27

@handssss said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

a pity. all that extra room and it doesnt even amount to equal power

You mean the 35% less GPU power?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50558 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

salutations

The PS3 is not under $199 and its been out for a long time.

It also cost 200 bucks more than PS4 and a shit load than that to make.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@CrownKingArthur: I don't think Sony will drop the price for at least a couple years. The system is selling fine without a price cut. If they drop the price too soon, they will contiue to lose money on the system. I'm sure M$ will release an XB1 SKU without the Kinect by the end of next year. I'll be surprised if they do it this year.

highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By highking_kallor

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@highking_kallor: lol, you are obsessed with the TV aspect of THE ONE. Don't be, the console can eliminate that just like a app. The future holds many things in store for THE ONE and adapting to it is its strong points.

Yep so obsessed that I went out and brought one. You got me kid.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By clr84651

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@clr84651 said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Everything on those boards does something. Sony didn't just decide to build a small console. They decided to build a cheap one. Out of all the Playstations the PS4 is the cheapest to manufacture. The company is in trouble and producing a cheap replacement to the PS3 was the only option. But hey, that option is working.

Yes, Sony built it cheap & they had to in order not lose money and keep it under $400 price point. Which was what their designer was told to keep it under. It does what they wanted it to, which is play games and does it very well. MS made theirs to do more than Sony made theirs to do. The majority of people in the world are just fine with the way Sony built the PS4. They have a great PSN which is very good for your money with many free games. PS Now is coming this summer which allows playing PS3 games streamed to the PS4. So far it's 1, 7, & 30 day rentals. The prices are not yet known. The download times are said to be very good from people who are using the beta. The DS4 controller is a huge improvement over the DS3. The PSN on PS4 runs very fast, games install very fast, & downloads are much much faster. Many people like not having the camera forced on them when they buy the PS4 also.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

look at that amazing engineering from sony. small and sleek like their beautiful console. it's quite amazing what the japanese can do with technology. even more impressive is that the ps4 is still more powerful than the xbox one with a smaller motherboard. lol

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@blackace: PS4 could cost less to make now. You don't know what they can afford and what they can't. Stop acting like MS can drop the price and Sony can't. Regardless of MS pockets, they're in business to make money not satisfy fanboy egos.

slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 slimdogmilionar

@highking_kallor said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@highking_kallor said:

If that was true ms would not have put in the tv rubbish as it will be irrelevant in less than 10 year chump.

@highking_kallor said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@slimdogmilionar said:

@highking_kallor said:

Bet that tasted nice. Anything you don't swallow?

Normal Cow reply when you put up something that they can't argue is not true, so childish. Meanwhile if lems even mention the Xbox being remotely close to PS4 all hell breaks out. What would happen if Nvidia and Amd started building video cards with hardware buffer for tiled resources like M$ did? What if they found out you could make a good performing card without breaking the bank and being less powerful. Again not saying Xbox is more powerful but there are questions that should be asked. Like why is M$ touting 4k and not Sony? Sony built the PS4 concentrating on Gpu because thats how the 360 was able to have the edge over ps3. I thought Ps4 was using gpu compute but now Sony is interested in cpu core optimization? But you built your system using GDDR5. Maybe they are trying to save the 400 gFlops that they will loose to gpu compute? Fact PS4 games don't look to much better than Xbox games when developers have yet to use all of the Xbox's hardware on a game. Why? Xbox has a ton more ram than PS4 seeing as how you get an extra 6gb with the tiled resources hardware aka Esram? Not too mention Xbox has more main system ram available to devs than PS4, even with a more bloated OS and heavier workload? OR why is PS4 using an architercture that MS used last gen? if M$ had not made 360 PS4 would not have unified architecture. So next gen expect ps5 to have main ram and hardware buffer like xbox while M$ gets pounded again for moving the industry forward. Nothing Sony did is innovative, so they asked devs what they want in a game system and they pretty much came back with a beef up Xbox with x86 instead of power pc parts. Why would you ask a game developer about your system when you should be talking to the hardware companies and their devs if anybody because when they change stuff those same game developers you just got input from will jump ship also.

The tv thing you should re-read again cause in ten years Xbone and Ps4 will be obsolete also, so yep I guess we can bash M$ for that. PS4 architecture is ten years old though if you want to talk about things that will be obsolete in ten years. In the tech industry if you not moving forward you moving backwards.