Will consoles ever have a big strategy game?

• 113 results
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

like many others said, Valkyria chronicles.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

My friends, I just had a revelation, Pokemon is a strategy game and it's outsold every pc strategy game.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ adamosmaki

In that case I'd say that its shoddy Design. :p

Thats not a shoddy design. That is a complex game that in order some functions to be accessible faster instead of navigating menus you have 1 hotkey. Hell even the simplest of task like selecting a number of units would be quite difficult on a controller . The only way to make something like SoaSE or Total war games on consoles to work is to dumb them down. The only strategy games that might work on consoles are turned based but apparently there is no market for them on consoles

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

Strategy games and other genres which are much more common on PC feature way too much actual gameplay and not enough cutscenes, simon-says "gameplay" and walking characters through areas whilst another character talks to you.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ adamosmaki

I'm not denying they are complex games... Infact I think that complexity is a more of a problem. I know God Games definately can work with a controller, strategy games aren't that far off. Also the Rule of Thumb is Hotkeys should not exceed the number of fingers you have.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Oh man...ready your flame shield.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#57  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

Apparently people love animal cruelty. 20 gazillion sales.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

RTS is pretty much dead on the pc as well. I have not wanted to buy a rts in years and im a big fan of red alert and empires. Some indie ones and free to play garbage just does not do it for me.

only console that has a controller for one is wii u and no one wants that console.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Strategy games specially RTS are not possible on console . They'll have to dumb it down to the point where it'll feel like top down action game instead of Real Time Strategy . Halo Wars this and that are joke compared to games like Warcraft , Starcraft , Total War , COH , Men of War , World in Conflict etc .

Even Turn Based Strategy games need to be simplified like XCOM to work with controller . Games like Civilization 5 Brave New World or Civilization 4 will be headache to play on controller because of huge list of menus . Imagine going through each option one by one and just missing the one you wanted to select ... Now start over to reach that option again . With mouse and keyboard it is much more easier to do so .

That's why I don't think any big Strategy game will be possible on consoles .

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#60 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

I fell there only one console this gen that will work with RTS and thats the wii u the controllers is perfect for it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Lulu_Lulu

@ Cloud_imperium

Well if you put it that way then yeah its not possible on consoles big the bigger issue is that all that complexity is there just for complexities sake. And thats just shoddy design.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Kinthalis: No flaming.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

There been a ton working strategy games on the consoles.

Also isn't Pikmin consider a real time strategy?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Cloud_imperium

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Cloud_imperium

Well if you put it that way then yeah its not possible on consoles big the bigger issue is that all that complexity is there just for complexities sake. And thats just shoddy design.

Dude , RTS are not possible on consoles . That's fact , there is no shoddy design here . And no it is not made complex for the sake of "being cool and difficult" .

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65 Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

No one knows about this?

And there's also this (although this one is still being funded).

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

XCom is a strategy game is it not?

And it's on consoles AND works well on them.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@Micropixel said:

No one knows about this?

I really wish Outcast could've been funded , it was HD remake of amazing sci fi action game from late 90s . Due to lack of attention from mainstream media , it will fail (4 days left) :-(

Micropixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By Micropixel
Member since 2005 • 1383 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@Micropixel said:

No one knows about this?

I really wish Outcast could've been funded , it was HD remake of amazing sci fi action game from late 90s . Due to lack of attention from mainstream media , it failed :-(

And I think the samething may happen to Salvaged, too. There's just not enough people that know about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Advance Wars, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy Tactics were pretty big console games.

But if we are talking strictly rts--I think game prices have risen to the point where a game like Starcraft could be bundled with a mouse and keyboard.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Cloud_imperium
@Micropixel said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@Micropixel said:

No one knows about this?

I really wish Outcast could've been funded , it was HD remake of amazing sci fi action game from late 90s . Due to lack of attention from mainstream media , it failed :-(

And I think the samething may happen to Salvaged, too. There's just not enough people that know about it.

Sad , really . They are too busy to cover everything about COD though . That's why I have no faith in game journalists and their biased advertisements and popularity contests .

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ Cloud_imperium

Hey I get it... strategy games are anorak's wet dreams. But you might be clinging on to a concept thats hurting the genre. Kinda like Fighting games like Tekken being designed for Fightsticks instead of the standard controller of which many play the game on. I always considered hotkeys and shortcuts too binary.... A controller has 4 analogue control spots... A standard mouse only has 3 and a keyboard is all binary. a controller might just do the genre some good allowing for more organic interaction. Not to get ahead of myself but I'm all in favour of controls too.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@bobbetybob said:

No, because they don't work well with controllers.

Didn't they say the exact same thing with first people shooting? Pretty sure they did.

And compared to K/M, they don't work very well for FPSs. Which is why consoles have crap like auto aim and aim assist.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ _Matt_

Hermits look down on the recent X-com games that have come to consoles, whining about how "Consolites Ruined My Toys" ! Its kinda sad really. But mostly funny !

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#74  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Not with any traditional control schemes that we are used too. Maybe something with voice commands or motion controls, but so far all of those attempts have fallen flat on their face. Even the most simple strategy games on the PC that any person could easily get into cannot be done with a controller due to how you interact with the game.

The only strategy games that have worked well on the consoles were those turn based RPGs. The Advanced Wars series on the Gameboy Advanced worked well too. The design is just much more simple than what we see on the PC but the games can still be pretty deep and strategic, they just do it in different ways. There have been some pretty big console strategy games like others have mentioned here. They just don't do real time strategy well at all.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#75  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, I just had a revelation, Pokemon is a strategy game and it's outsold every pc strategy game.

Well Pokemon is an RPG really. RPGs are kind of a subset of strategy games as you're using more high level strategy when facing opponents than you do twitch controls, movement, and small scale tactics. It's not really a strategy game like Starcraft or Company of Heroes is.

Usually when I think of strategy game I think more along the lines of moving units tactically, building logistics, managing large amounts of units, and making tactical and strategic decisions. Each major strategy game does this a bit different but in general there is always a bit of all of these things in each of them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Lulu_Lulu

@ Wasdie

Pretty Much all JRPGs (by style not location) are strategic in their nature.

The Problem is balancing the Resources.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@bobbetybob said:

Consoles are actually M/KB compatible now, I played the FFIV beta on M/KB on my PS4.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#78  Edited By Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

KOEI used to produce absolutely phenomenal strategy games for consoles, but since they merged with Tecmo & became "Tecmo Koei", they now suck the maggots out of a dead swine's a-hole.

I'd give anything to see games like Genghis Khan, Liberty or Death, PTO, Nobunaga's Ambition, Romance of The Three Kingdoms and Aerobiz all receive an 8th generation resurrection. The Uncharted Waters franchise is the only one of KOEI's vintage gems that still survives (as an MMORPG), but that too should get an eighth Gen facelift and be released on the PS4/Xbone worldwide instead of just in Japan and on the PC, as they did with UCWO.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Puggy301

Leave Tecmo alone.... They Made the Best Fighting game ever !

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By melonfarmerz
Member since 2014 • 1294 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Consoles are actually M/KB compatible now, I played the FFIV beta on M/KB on my PS4.

Don't you need one of those weird ass adapters that MS and Sony don't approve of though?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Cloud_imperium

@Spartan070 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Not every game supports M/KB . Besides , there is also far less fanbase of strategy games on consoles than on PC . Streamlined Turn based strategy may work on consoles with few headaches but Real Time Strategy is impossible when it is on par with bigger titles like Starcraft or World in Conflict .

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Lulu_Lulu

@melonfarmerz

You mean the chatpad ?

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 melonfarmerz

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@melonfarmerz

You mean the chatpad ?

No. The Eagle Eye. http://www.penguinunited.com/

I don't know what the point is. If I'm going to spend 60 to have two controllers, then 60 on an eagle eye, then 100 on a mouse and keyboard, I'd rather just get a fucking PC.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Lulu_Lulu

@melonfarmerz

LOL. Thats exactly what I keep telling everybody ! :D but noooooo "consoles have exlcusives... Bla bla bla" people can be so dense some times.

Console_Caesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Console_Caesar
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@console_caesar said:

@Jankarcop said:

No, the console gamers just want fast 4-5 hour long auto-aim games.

And yet we have more AAAE games than the PC gamers, funny how the real world works. :-)

huh?

http://systemwarsmagazine.com/gamespot-reviews-spreadsheet/

Oh, cool, you've made a spreadsheet that favors your opinion, I feel totally defeated now, lmao!!! :-)

Console_Caesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Console_Caesar

@Motokid6 said:

@console_caesar: How old are you XboxDone? If your above 18 you'd be best off lying and say your 12. This way it's understandable. If not then it's just pathetic.

Tell me... Do you know WHY Julius Caesar was assassinated?

Haha, I love how you just owned yourself!!! First you try to attack my intelligence and then you drop the bomb and act like Julius Caesar was the one and only Caesar ever!! Bawhaha! Seems like you're the 12 year old here, next time don't sleep during history class! :-)

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By melonfarmerz

@console_caesar said:

Haha, I love how you just owned yourself!!! First you try to attack my intelligence and then you drop the bomb and act like Julius Caesar was the one and only Caesar ever!! Bawhaha! Seems like you're the 12 year old here, next time don't sleep during history class! :-)

Caesar was stabbed in the back. Quite coincidental considering how many times the multi billion corps MS and Sony have stabbed console gamers in the back with DRM, pay for online, 7 years of stagnation, ect.

@console_caesar said:

@Jankarcop said:

huh?

Oh, cool, you've made a spreadsheet that favors your opinion, I feel totally defeated now, lmao!!! :-)

That was made by System Wars magazine. It's a lot more accurate than that stupid "report card" you always insist on posting.

Console_Caesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Console_Caesar

@melonfarmerz said:

@console_caesar said:

Caesar was stabbed in the back. Quite coincidental considering how many times the multi billion corps MS and Sony have stabbed console gamers in the back with DRM, pay for online, 7 years of stagnation, ect.

@console_caesar said:

@Jankarcop said:

huh?

That was made by System Wars magazine. It's a lot more accurate than that stupid "report card" you always insist on posting.

When did I post a report card? Stop making stuff up, it won't benefit you.

melonfarmerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 melonfarmerz

@console_caesar said:

We all know you're XboxDone74. Nobody else thinks the Console Caesar thing is a good idea

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#90  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

I don't think the challenge is whether it's technically possible, the problem is whether it's marketable on consoles. R.U.S.E. was pretty good, though even that didn't sell too good, I'd like to see more similar style games in the future that utilize the gameplay mechanics. It showed RTSs are doable on consoles if done right, mechanically at least. There still lies a problem of whether it's marketable or not.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#92  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

unless they figure out a clever way to do it, otherwise i don't see a good chance for it happening

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@melonfarmerz said:

@Spartan070 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Don't you need one of those weird ass adapters that MS and Sony don't approve of though?

Nope, USB

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Consoles got Sim City over 20 years ago. Fucking idiot.

Console_Caesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Console_Caesar

@Motokid6 said:

@console_caesar: Where did I say Julius Caesar was the only Caesar? I asked you a question XboxDone which Caesar are you referring too? Calling me a 12 year old yet you can't even f***ing read its amazing. Console Caesar.. Lmao gtfo of here.. the weirdo points just keep rackin' up.

Um, you called me a 12 year old, are you dense or something? And the only thing that's "rackin' up" here is your grammatical errors, lel, go do your history homework now, boyo! :-)

Console_Caesar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Console_Caesar

@melonfarmerz said:

@console_caesar said:

We all know you're XboxDone74. Nobody else thinks the Console Caesar thing is a good idea

Proof?

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

theres strategy involved in every game, but if you mean RTS...probably not because mouse and kb are best for those.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

When the pc gets an exclusive that isn't a simulator, strategy or indie. Could be a long time. Stay begging hermits.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#99 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ladyblue said:

When the pc gets an exclusive that isn't a simulator, strategy or indie. Could be a long time. Stay begging hermits.

Shhhh, no more tears

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@lostrib said:

@ladyblue said:

Shhhh, no more tears

Thanks, but no thanks.