WiiU isn't Next Gen?

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Graphics Talk is all I hear when people state the WiiU isn't Next Gen.

That's all it matters to you. While you Hype up the Next Halo and the Next Naughty Dog game the only thing that matters to you is Graphics.

The True Next Gen Feature is right here.

Gabe Newell stated that Apple TV is the biggest threat to the Steam Box.

Apple TV streams Music, TV Shows, and Movies on to one's TV and even gives you sports and games. What kind of Games are Apple Devices most known for? Social games.

Nintendo has done this, this is the Next Generation that hopefully will be on the PS4 and Xbox 720.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSgBwVY8R8v_JuCXZX5jR

That's right, Miiverse, this is the True Next Generation Experience you're going to see in the Next Generation. Graphics aren't nearly as Innovative as this.

Last Generation we kinda had an system like this, but it wasn't nearly as fleshed out as Miiverse is.

Some of the greatest features of the Xbox 360 and PS3 was how easy it was to connect with friends or new people, In fact it's one of the reasons why the Xbox 360 is so popular, and for the PS3, PSHome was 'Home' to many people that liked to fellow gamers and you can explore a grand new world and socialize and play games together.

Next Generation Consoles should surely expand on these things, just like how Nintendo did it.

Miiverse is Available as soon as you turn on the console and is rarely unavailable to you.

Get Stuck on a Game? go to Miiverse, Ask a Question, Post a ScreenShot, and wait, you'll get a response rather quickly.

Right now if you get stuck on a game on the PS3 or 360, you would either

Hope a Friend is on who knows what to do, Stop the Game and go on PSHome and Ask around, or go on Gaming Forums (WiiU also does this bit better, you don't have to stop the game to go online, all you have to do is hit Web Browser and the system would already have Googled the game for you).

Miiverse is doing wonders for Nintendo's 8th Generation system and I hope the other Consoles wise up and do something a lot more similar to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Inb4 ridiculous graphics debates and some dumbass saying "herp derp if N64 was launched today blahblahblah" Oh, and because he deserves a special shoutout, inb4 Shadowmoses.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts
People come up with bulls*** rules on what makes a next-gen platform.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Like the term JRPG, they have been so misused that people don't understand that they're just literal terms.

Japanese RPG (just its origin, no implied art style or gameplay)

Next generation (of consoles)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Nah. The tablet controller? Totaly possible in '05. Nintendo skimping out on innovation again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Nah. The tablet controller? Totaly possible in '05. Nintendo skimping out on innovation again.

DarkLink77
Didn't read, huh?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

darkspineslayer
Didn't read, huh?

Missed the sarcasm, eh?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77
Didn't read, huh?

Missed the sarcasm, eh?

Yeah, guess I did. Thought you were American, eh? :p
OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Next-gen starts when Sony says so. Sorry, SkyHeart.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Wii U is next gen by definition but not by spirit. It really is just a PS3/Xbox with a controller that has a screen in the middle.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] Didn't read, huh?

Missed the sarcasm, eh?

I am, brah. It's not "eeeh?" It's "eh?" Like "heh" with the first "h" removed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Missed the sarcasm, eh?

I am, brah. It's not "eeeh?" It's "eh?" Like "heh" with the first "h" removed.

Ah, yes of course. I should have caught on that it wasn't the British spelling, since it didn't include the letter U for some completely arbitrary reason. I'll return to my igloo now...
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

If the core of next-gen is an always-online connected experience, I don't think I would be looking to Nintendo to deliver on that (or at least the best implementation of it).

Also I'd like to point out that better hardware can help a lot for this sort of functionality. More hardware power and more memory means that OS has more resources available for running background apps, managing connectivity features, and quick switching. Wii U certainly has some memory to spare, but not so much in terms of processing power.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LegatoSkyheart

If the core of next-gen is an always-online connected experience, I don't think I would be looking to Nintendo to deliver on that (or at least the best implementation of it).

Teufelhuhn

if you're implying the PC then...well "duh".

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

Gabe Newell is an idiot that will change is tone as soon as the Steambox flops and the Apple TV never becomes more then a stream box for hardcore apple fans.  This is the same guy who said PS3 was a failure then 1 year later he was telling everyone how outstanding it was. 

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LegatoSkyheart

Gabe Newell is an idiot that will change is tone as soon as the Steambox flops and the Apple TV never becomes more then a stream box for hardcore apple fans.  This is the same guy who said PS3 was a failure then 1 year later he was telling everyone how outstanding it was. 

AM-Gamer

That's also the same guy who has the most popular Game Distributing Software for PCs right now.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I can't see the individual strands on Mario's mustache, or the bulging veins on muscles of the industry's latest multi-million dollar franchise. The jiggle physics are also slightly less accurate.

lol Nintendo behind yet again.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

even if we were to talk graphics ,  the wiiu is a step up from the ps3 360 --it has more ram , a gdgpu  which takes the load off of the main processor to help produce better graphics while keeping the costs /power consumption low,  

its got a new controller with all the buttons people want to whine about and a touch screen a cam a mic and a sixaxis type controller and nfc ,  

its next gen enough ,  

history proves the least powerful cosnole always fairs well  ,  

and dispite the slow sales atm -due to lack of games like the 3ds  it will reverse course ,  

what happens when ps4720 come out at 600-700  if they do or even 450-500  cause theres 0 chance of it being 350 or less ,    with 360 ps3 still costing just that much  also with vita if sony undercuts the vita by pricing the ps4 at 300 -350   guess what ,,    vita will be worst off then it is now because people will realise they can get bigger bang for their buck and this will open the handheld market to nintendo as if it already isnt ,, 

so appearently if your wishing for 350 or less  cost consoles your best hope is that they arent that much better in terms of raw power ,  cause if they are --

im afraid dispite how good they may look theyll sell less then wii u is currently selling because people will see big price tags and walk away (ps3 3d0) remember those at launch ya im pretty sure we all do

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Get Stuck on a Game? go to Miiverse, Ask a Question, Post a ScreenShot, and wait, you'll get a response rather quickly. Right now if you get stuck on a game on the PS3 or 360, you would either Hope a Friend is on who knows what to do, Stop the Game and go on PSHome and Ask around, or go on Gaming Forums (WiiU also does this bit better, you don't have to stop the game to go online, all you have to do is hit Web Browser and the system would already have Googled the game for you).

I'll probably stick with the significantly faster and more accurate way of moving my chair over to my computer desk and google searching my question. Who in the world would start bothering random friends or leave the game and run around in PSHome (does anyone even use that)? The WiiU might have a nice way of doing it but if your argument for next gen is only, "now you can google answers on the WiiU, you don't even have to turn to your computer whenever you give up on a game and need a walkthrough to play it", then you're not doing much to convince me. I haven't bought a WiiU yet so I don't know much about the Miiverse but you give a very poor argument about why this is something great

Also I'd like to point out that better hardware can help a lot for this sort of functionality. More hardware power and more memory means that OS has more resources available for running background apps, managing connectivity features, and quick switching. Wii U certainly has some memory to spare, but not so much in terms of processing power.

^ This. Hardware influences a lot more than just how pretty a game can look.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LegatoSkyheart

Get Stuck on a Game? go to Miiverse, Ask a Question, Post a ScreenShot, and wait, you'll get a response rather quickly. Right now if you get stuck on a game on the PS3 or 360, you would either Hope a Friend is on who knows what to do, Stop the Game and go on PSHome and Ask around, or go on Gaming Forums (WiiU also does this bit better, you don't have to stop the game to go online, all you have to do is hit Web Browser and the system would already have Googled the game for you).Legolas_Katarn

I'll probably stick with the significantly faster and more accurate way of moving my chair over to my computer desk and google searching my question. Who in the world would start bothering random friends or leave the game and run around in PSHome (does anyone even use that)? The WiiU might have a nice way of doing it but if your argument for next gen is only, "now you can google answers on the WiiU, you don't even have to turn to your computer whenever you give up on a game and need a walkthrough to play it", then you're not doing much to convince me. I haven't bought a WiiU yet so I don't know much about the Miiverse but you give a very poor argument about why this is something great

This about the same experence you get from both ways. Just with the WiiU you DON'T HAVE TO go to your computer and go on Google and search for your problem, chances are the thing you want to look for is already waiting for you on WiiU's Internet blip, but like I said, It's optional, you may perfer turning your chair around and looking up a walkthrough on your computer, but there's no need for the WiiU, just press the home button, press the internet button and the system automatically searches your game for you and there you go. Same Experience Different way of doing it.

^ This. Hardware influences a lot more than just how pretty a game can look.

If this is about the load times the system has, Nintendo has already said they're bringing out 2 updates in the Spring and Summer to fix them.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

LegatoSkyheart

That's also the same guy who has the most popular Game Distributing Software for PCs right now.

Not just for PC-- it's the most popular game service out of any platform. Steam has more active user accounts than either PSN or Xbox Live.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="AM-Gamer"]

Timstuff

Not just for PC-- it's the most popular game service out of any platform. Steam has more active user accounts than either PSN or Xbox Live.

I just wanted to be safe.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

The WiiU is barely current gen

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The WiiU is barely current gen

Peredith

Considering current gen is now 8th gen, that doesn't mean much.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Next generation normally refers to hardware. What the hell do I care what a miiverse is? With better hardware, games can innovate. I don't give a rats a** about the peripherals on a console. When I get a console, I mainly get them to game. Other features are nice, and the WiiU doesn't even deliver that.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

Thats the problem with the WiiU, main advertising is in the games it has, if it released with some of the games it will probably have in 6 months times, then alot of people would most likely not be dissing it so much.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LegatoSkyheart

Next generation normally refers to hardware. What the hell do I care what a miiverse is? With better hardware, games can innovate. I don't give a rats a** about the peripherals on a console. When I get a console, I mainly get them to game. Other features are nice, and the WiiU doesn't even deliver that.

airshocker

Miiverse is the innovation you should care about because it opens the System up more, Social Gaming is starting to become the norm. We should be embracing the Social Connectivity we have with not just our friends but other gamers in the system.

Someone needs help on ZombiU, Let's help them!

Online Fighting Tourny going on right now on Tekken Tag 2? Let's do it!

COD BLOPSII Clan Meet? Gotta go.

The Chat board just has endless possiblities, Imagine having that in not just Nintendo consoles, but on an Xbox system or a Playstation. 

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11796 Posts

AM-Gamer

Makes more money than you and use to work on microsoft, lol

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

This thread sounds kind of desperate.

If it is, it is, why try so hard to convince. Sounds like you're trying to convince your selves.

Miiverse makes it next gen? So the PS3 was the same gen as the PS2 because the online was really underdeveloped at the beginning?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
as far as pushing the industry forward and graphical fidelity... lol no... as far as time frame etc....yes.. what a lousy way to start the next gen..am i right guys?
RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

You're delusional if you think Microsoft won't continue to innovate in the online console space next gen. They've constantly been ahead the past 10 years, and have had the most social out of all the online platforms. Its only going to get better next gen.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Graphics Talk is all I hear when people state the WiiU isn't Next Gen.

That's all it matters to you. While you Hype up the Next Halo and the Next Naughty Dog game the only thing that matters to you is Graphics.

The True Next Gen Feature is right here.

Gabe Newell stated that Apple TV is the biggest threat to the Steam Box.

Apple TV streams Music, TV Shows, and Movies on to one's TV and even gives you sports and games. What kind of Games are Apple Devices most known for? Social games.

Nintendo has done this, this is the Next Generation that hopefully will be on the PS4 and Xbox 720.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSgBwVY8R8v_JuCXZX5jR

That's right, Miiverse, this is the True Next Generation Experience you're going to see in the Next Generation. Graphics aren't nearly as Innovative as this.

Last Generation we kinda had an system like this, but it wasn't nearly as fleshed out as Miiverse is.

Some of the greatest features of the Xbox 360 and PS3 was how easy it was to connect with friends or new people, In fact it's one of the reasons why the Xbox 360 is so popular, and for the PS3, PSHome was 'Home' to many people that liked to fellow gamers and you can explore a grand new world and socialize and play games together.

Next Generation Consoles should surely expand on these things, just like how Nintendo did it.

Miiverse is Available as soon as you turn on the console and is rarely unavailable to you.

Get Stuck on a Game? go to Miiverse, Ask a Question, Post a ScreenShot, and wait, you'll get a response rather quickly.

Right now if you get stuck on a game on the PS3 or 360, you would either

Hope a Friend is on who knows what to do, Stop the Game and go on PSHome and Ask around, or go on Gaming Forums (WiiU also does this bit better, you don't have to stop the game to go online, all you have to do is hit Web Browser and the system would already have Googled the game for you).

Miiverse is doing wonders for Nintendo's 8th Generation system and I hope the other Consoles wise up and do something a lot more similar to it.

LegatoSkyheart

I don't like your next generation...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Current gen with a "unique" controller and what the Wii should have already been...

It can still take-off if they push some nice (exclusive) games and drop the price tho.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

If you are weaker then your father does that mean you are your own grandpa?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I do truly believe there are three major features that make my Wii U feel like a next gen step over my PS3.

1) Miiverse: Like you said, this feature feels next gen. It is very simple yet innovative and new. It creates a group of gamers that can instantly annd regularily share their gaming experiences as they happen. Being able to take a screenshot at any point in the game and post it on miiverse with a comment will never get old.

2) Playing full games on the gamepad: There is just something so comfortable about being able to hold you're entire console gaming experience in your hands.

3) Multitasking: The Wii U is a multitasking powerhouse. You can be playing a game, downloading something off of Eshop and have 6 tabs open on Wii U's extremely fast internet browser all at once without any performance issues. Everything you need is at your fingertips with Wii U including being able to control your TV with the gamepad. It's a seemless experience.

The Wii U is a completely NEW experience and it's mostly thanks to Miiverse. It works its way into every facet of the system and reshapes how I play my games.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
So basically you give up on it being a next gen console by any hardware measure, so now you are looking for some other relatively frivolous feature to justify it as "next gen". Cool.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
It's Nintendo's next console after the one this gen so it is a next gen console.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I like Miiverse but I don't think it groundbreaking. Its mostly just people doodling with the stylus.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

It's next gen because its a new console that Nintendo plans to have out for the next 5+ years and it's newer than the PS3 and 360.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#41 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
WiiU is the first next gen console, some will debate this but so what. Moving goal posts is nothing new.
Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts
What makes a console next gen?
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I like Miiverse but I don't think it groundbreaking. Its mostly just people doodling with the stylus.DaBrainz

Doodling?

Boy I wish I can "doodle" like those guys can. They might as well be art graduate students in comparison. :P

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
well, it has a fast internet browser=/=next gen.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? Lol, sheep were so proud the Wii DIDN'T have those features. "It's a pure console, not a wannabe PC!" Soon as Nintendo gets a cool non gaming feature, it's "the true next gen!". Lol. WiiU is a next gen console but a pretty pathetic one.
gettingpatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gettingpatches
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts

If you are weaker then your father does that mean you are your own grandpa?

osirisx3

That is without doubt the most original take I've seen on the what counts as a gen debate in a long time :P

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? Lol, sheep were so proud the Wii DIDN'T have those features. "It's a pure console, not a wannabe PC!" Soon as Nintendo gets a cool non gaming feature, it's "the true next gen!". Lol. WiiU is a next gen console but a pretty pathetic one.locopatho

Why the hate man?

Link shouldn't be smiling. That was a mean thing to say.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

[QUOTE="locopatho"]A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? Lol, sheep were so proud the Wii DIDN'T have those features. "It's a pure console, not a wannabe PC!" Soon as Nintendo gets a cool non gaming feature, it's "the true next gen!". Lol. WiiU is a next gen console but a pretty pathetic one.AznbkdX

Why the hate man?

Link shouldn't be smiling. That was a mean thing to say.

No hate. Just cynical amusement. Some people contort themselves into all sorts of crazy reasons why X company is awesome. And the arguments often contradict each other. With the Wii, being a pure gaming console with no "wannabe PC features" was king. With the WiiU, getting social features is great "true next gen" thing. Not to mention there's always talk of WiiU being stronger graphically then 360/PS3...... yet there's no proof and it may in fact turn out to be weaker.... SO.... back to graphics don't matter :P
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It's not. It's current gen. Reminds me of 2006.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
A new feature like Miiverse does not constitute a new generation of gaming. Xbox and PlayStation consoles get new features several times a year. A new generation is characterized by the ability to have increasingly complex graphics. Sorry, but it just is.