WiiU isn't Next Gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3908 posts) -

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

If you are weaker then your father does that mean you are your own grandpa?

gettingpatches

That is without doubt the most original take I've seen on the what counts as a gen debate in a long time :P

Folks this is what defines a generation. It has nothing to do with hardware. Wii U was released after the Wii, 360, PS3 generation so it is in fact "Next " Gen. I don't understand why we continue to have this conversation generation after generation.
#53 Posted by AznbkdX (3575 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? Lol, sheep were so proud the Wii DIDN'T have those features. "It's a pure console, not a wannabe PC!" Soon as Nintendo gets a cool non gaming feature, it's "the true next gen!". Lol. WiiU is a next gen console but a pretty pathetic one.locopatho

Why the hate man?

Link shouldn't be smiling. That was a mean thing to say.

No hate. Just cynical amusement. Some people contort themselves into all sorts of crazy reasons why X company is awesome. And the arguments often contradict each other. With the Wii, being a pure gaming console with no "wannabe PC features" was king. With the WiiU, getting social features is great "true next gen" thing. Not to mention there's always talk of WiiU being stronger graphically then 360/PS3...... yet there's no proof and it may in fact turn out to be weaker.... SO.... back to graphics don't matter :P

Well I would say that new X game is better by the sum of its parts, but thats beside the point.

I know that you are no troll but that seemed a little more rash than your previous assertions.

Yeah, most fans are hypocrites for the most part and will change their tune depending on what the company does. I had a field day arguing about that same thing on one of the topics like a week or so ago. Although they only started that stuff because of X, which annoyed the crap out of me. I know they were given a bone but then some acted like the trolls that they were fighting back throughout the gen. :?

#54 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
Graphics are a result of the hardware and the hardware is not next gen.
#55 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
A new generation is characterized by the ability to have increasingly complex graphics. Sorry, but it just is. donalbane
Which is why the Nintendo 64, Gamecube/Xbox and PS3/360 won their respective generations? If your logic is held, then the PC starts a new generation every time GPU architecture gets improved... making it like 50 generations ahead of consoles.
#56 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

Why the hate man?

Link shouldn't be smiling. That was a mean thing to say.

AznbkdX

No hate. Just cynical amusement. Some people contort themselves into all sorts of crazy reasons why X company is awesome. And the arguments often contradict each other. With the Wii, being a pure gaming console with no "wannabe PC features" was king. With the WiiU, getting social features is great "true next gen" thing. Not to mention there's always talk of WiiU being stronger graphically then 360/PS3...... yet there's no proof and it may in fact turn out to be weaker.... SO.... back to graphics don't matter :P

Well I would say that new X game is better by the sum of its parts, but thats beside the point.

I know that you are no troll but that seemed a little more rash than your previous assertions.

Yeah, most fans are hypocrites for the most part and will change their tune depending on what the company does. I had a field day arguing about that same thing on one of the topics like a week or so ago. Although they only started that stuff because of X, which annoyed the crap out of me. I know they were given a bone but then some acted like the trolls that they were fighting back throughout the gen. :?

Sorry I was using "x" as a standin for whichever company, Nintendo/Sony/MS/Capcom/whoever... not mocking the X game which looks great :P

#57 Posted by Heil68 (47238 posts) -
What makes a console next gen?fernandmondego_
When it is released.
#58 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

wii u - the most dominant system this gen

best graphics

best library

best battery life

best everything

[spoiler]

I was doing an impersonation of Liquid Ajax

[/spoiler]

#59 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? locopatho
It's an online community where people can post screenshots, post messages and give eachother tips. How is it not a gaming feature?

Hell every game on the wii u get's it's own community on miiverse.

#60 Posted by Exile_basic (270 posts) -

Next gen is time not feature or power. It is quite simple.

#61 Posted by AznbkdX (3575 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] No hate. Just cynical amusement. Some people contort themselves into all sorts of crazy reasons why X company is awesome. And the arguments often contradict each other. With the Wii, being a pure gaming console with no "wannabe PC features" was king. With the WiiU, getting social features is great "true next gen" thing. Not to mention there's always talk of WiiU being stronger graphically then 360/PS3...... yet there's no proof and it may in fact turn out to be weaker.... SO.... back to graphics don't matter :Plocopatho

Sorry I was using "x" as a standin for whichever company, Nintendo/Sony/MS/Capcom/whoever... not mocking the X game which looks great :P

Yeah I know what you meant. :P

#62 Posted by rockydog1111 (2076 posts) -

I don't really care about console graphics, that's what my PC is for. I love Nintendo hardware because it is tailored for Nintendo games. Is it going to be up to par graphics wise with the other 2 8th gen systems, probably not, but like I said, Nintendo games don't need stelaar graphics to keep me captivated. 

On the same note, I don't like Naughty Dog for graphics either, it is just a bonus this gen. I have liked them since their early days for bringing great mechanics to games. Uncharted didn't really bring much new to games, but the Crash series and Jak series were both awesome series during their times. 

I also could care less for the Wii U as a multimedia device because in all honesty, the WiiU TVii isn't all they sold it as yet. It may end up being that way, but right now I find it useless. 

#63 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"]A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? Shinobishyguy

It's an online community where people can post screenshots, post messages and give eachother tips. How is it not a gaming feature?

It doesn't affect how you play games tho. It's just a nice social feature. A Mario game is still a Mario game, whether he has a Miiverse page or not...
#64 Posted by illmatic87 (15510 posts) -
The Wii-U is next-gen. To some, it's just not 'next-gen'. Which is silly.
#65 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
The Wii U is simply not next gen. It is far too dead and far too uninspired to be next gen. It is Nintendo catching up with the last gen after 8 years.
#66 Posted by AznbkdX (3575 posts) -

The Wii U is simply not next gen. It is far too dead and far too uninspired to be next gen. It is Nintendo catching up with the last gen after 8 years. Novotine

I agree. Bad graphicals and those games, kiddy and stuff lulz.

#67 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

Get Stuck on a Game? go to Miiverse, Ask a Question, Post a ScreenShot, and wait, you'll get a response rather quickly. Right now if you get stuck on a game on the PS3 or 360, you would either Hope a Friend is on who knows what to do, Stop the Game and go on PSHome and Ask around, or go on Gaming Forums (WiiU also does this bit better, you don't have to stop the game to go online, all you have to do is hit Web Browser and the system would already have Googled the game for you).LegatoSkyheart

I'll probably stick with the significantly faster and more accurate way of moving my chair over to my computer desk and google searching my question. Who in the world would start bothering random friends or leave the game and run around in PSHome (does anyone even use that)? The WiiU might have a nice way of doing it but if your argument for next gen is only, "now you can google answers on the WiiU, you don't even have to turn to your computer whenever you give up on a game and need a walkthrough to play it", then you're not doing much to convince me. I haven't bought a WiiU yet so I don't know much about the Miiverse but you give a very poor argument about why this is something great

This about the same experence you get from both ways. Just with the WiiU you DON'T HAVE TO go to your computer and go on Google and search for your problem, chances are the thing you want to look for is already waiting for you on WiiU's Internet blip, but like I said, It's optional, you may perfer turning your chair around and looking up a walkthrough on your computer, but there's no need for the WiiU, just press the home button, press the internet button and the system automatically searches your game for you and there you go. Same Experience Different way of doing it.

Also I'd like to point out that better hardware can help a lot for this sort of functionality. More hardware power and more memory means that OS has more resources available for running background apps, managing connectivity features, and quick switching. Wii U certainly has some memory to spare, but not so much in terms of processing power.

^ This. Hardware influences a lot more than just how pretty a game can look.

If this is about the load times the system has, Nintendo has already said they're bringing out 2 updates in the Spring and Summer to fix them.

I think there was a rumor that the ps4 can do multitasking, so again, nothing new ! Oh and my Vita has that feature too ! Just saying, it will be faster on both the PS4 and Vita to just pres the home button and load the whatever kind of explorer there is ! 

#68 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"] It doesn't affect how you play games tho. It's just a nice social feature. A Mario game is still a Mario game, whether he has a Miiverse page or not...

PS3/360 was in the same gen as the PS2/Xbox then, since the PSN/XBL didn't change how people played their games online.
#69 Posted by blackace (21410 posts) -
Wii U is a Next-Gen console. If you really know what Next-Gen means, you would know this to be true. It doesn't have anything to do with systems power, specs or anything like that.
#70 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="locopatho"] It doesn't affect how you play games tho. It's just a nice social feature. A Mario game is still a Mario game, whether he has a Miiverse page or not...

PS3/360 was in the same gen as the PS2/Xbox then, since the PSN/XBL didn't change how people played their games online.

Wtf are you talking about. I know the WiiU is 8th gen/next gen/whatever. I just disagree that Miiverse is some awesome new gameplay thing. It's not, it's just a nice social feature. It doesn't affect your games in any way.
#71 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="locopatho"]A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? locopatho
It's an online community where people can post screenshots, post messages and give eachother tips. How is it not a gaming feature?Hell every game on the wii u get's it's own community on miiverse.

It doesn't affect how you play games tho. It's just a nice social feature. A Mario game is still a Mario game, whether he has a Miiverse page or not...

it's all integrated into the game. After you clear a level you can post a message that shows up on the world map on other people's games. Hell you might as well call XBL a non-gaming feature while you're at it

#72 Posted by donalbane (16379 posts) -

[QUOTE="donalbane"]A new generation is characterized by the ability to have increasingly complex graphics. Sorry, but it just is. Zeviander
Which is why the Nintendo 64, Gamecube/Xbox and PS3/360 won their respective generations? If your logic is held, then the PC starts a new generation every time GPU architecture gets improved... making it like 50 generations ahead of consoles.

Pretty much, yeah. Most GPUs are so similar, though, they get lumped into their own broad generational catagories. The Nvidia 500 line was recently supplanted by the Nvidia 600 line, for instance. But you are correct in stating that the PC is way ahead of the Xbox, PS3 and Wii U. And you know exactly what I'm talking about no matter how contrarian you want to appear to be.

#73 Posted by Pittfan666 (8534 posts) -
It's NextGimmick.
#74 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]It's an online community where people can post screenshots, post messages and give eachother tips. How is it not a gaming feature?Hell every game on the wii u get's it's own community on miiverse.Shinobishyguy

it's all integrated into the game. After you clear a level you can post a message that shows up on the world map on other people's games. Hell you might as well call XBL a non-gaming feature while you're at it

Uh no, chatting about a game doesn't effect the gameplay. It's a nice feature but the game is the exact same. You could apply Miiverse to SNES games for example and that'd be cool, but the games wouldn't change, you'd just be able to talk about them and share info/cool stuff. Online obviously affects gameplay. If you added online to SNES games, that'd change how they play. Ability to play Mario Kart and Bomberman online would improve the gameplay.
#75 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] It doesn't affect how you play games tho. It's just a nice social feature. A Mario game is still a Mario game, whether he has a Miiverse page or not...locopatho

Uh no, chatting about a game doesn't effect the gameplay. It's a nice feature but the game is the exact same. You could apply Miiverse to SNES games for example and that'd be cool, but the games wouldn't change, you'd just be able to talk about them and share info/cool stuff. Online obviously affects gameplay. If you added online to SNES games, that'd change how they play. Ability to play Mario Kart and Bomberman online would improve the gameplay.

online is a core gameplay component but all the extra features on XBLA and miiverse make getting connected with players all the more easier.

It's no longer closed or restriced like it was with the wii

#77 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Uh no, chatting about a game doesn't effect the gameplay. It's a nice feature but the game is the exact same. You could apply Miiverse to SNES games for example and that'd be cool, but the games wouldn't change, you'd just be able to talk about them and share info/cool stuff. Online obviously affects gameplay. If you added online to SNES games, that'd change how they play. Ability to play Mario Kart and Bomberman online would improve the gameplay. locopatho

online is a core gameplay component but all ther extra features on XBLA and miiverse make getting connected with players all the more easier

Yeah and that's super for the social side of things. But it doesn't affect gameplay.

neither does party chat, messaging, and any of those other bells and whistles on XBLA then
#78 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]online is a core gameplay component but all ther extra features on XBLA and miiverse make getting connected with players all the more easierShinobishyguy
Yeah and that's super for the social side of things. But it doesn't affect gameplay.

neither does party chat, messaging, and any of those other bells and whistles on XBLA then

Party chat does, as teamwork can help you win in online shooters. I know the other stuff (like user ratings of XBLA games for example) doesn't affect gameplay? What's your point?
#79 Posted by osirisx3 (2031 posts) -

nintendo is like north korea of gaming everything they do is censorship when it comes to online

#80 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9404 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"]A non gaming feature = next gen gaming? locopatho

Miiverse inhances the gaming experience for sure. In Mario, messages from the Mii verse are full integrated into the game itself. It's like having an entire community at your fingertips playing the game along with you. When you fail, you see how other people responded to having the same failure as you. When you succeed, you share in the triumph. My favourite part is being able to pause the game at any point, take a screen cap of the game and share my experience with others. 

Miiverse has definitely effected how I play my games. So much so that I came extremely close to buying Batman Arkham City a second time just to play it with the feature. Now I'm constantly excited by new games coming out for the system to see how their Mii verse boards and communities will fill up.

#81 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="locopatho"] Yeah and that's super for the social side of things. But it doesn't affect gameplay. locopatho

Party chat does, as teamwork can help you win in online shooters.

and you can share strategies and tips over miivese but  it's still a non-gaming feature?

Is the mesaageing system in darksouls where you leave signs all around the levels a non gaming feature?

#82 Posted by mysticstryk (1700 posts) -

Old and beaten-to-death topic.

#83 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]neither does party chat, messaging, and any of those other bells and whistles on XBLA thenShinobishyguy

Party chat does, as teamwork can help you win in online shooters.

and you can share strategies and tips over miivese  (along with voicechat) but  it's still a non-gaming feature?

Sharing tips and strategies is what you do when you AREN'T PLAYING THE GAME. Team voice chat is what you do when you ARE PLAYING THE GAME. See the difference? I really don't get your point, Miiverse seems awesome, but it's just not anything to do with how the games play?
#84 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Party chat does, as teamwork can help you win in online shooters. locopatho

and you can share strategies and tips over miivese  (along with voicechat) but  it's still a non-gaming feature?

Sharing tips and strategies is what you do when you AREN'T PLAYING THE GAME. Team voice chat is what you do when you ARE PLAYING THE GAME.

you can pause the game any time and view posts on the community page, all without having to exit the game.

For certain games you don't even have to do that, all the posts and stuff can be seen ingame

#85 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

Shinobishyguy

Sharing tips and strategies is what you do when you AREN'T PLAYING THE GAME. Team voice chat is what you do when you ARE PLAYING THE GAME.

you can pause the game any time and view posts on the community page, all without having to exit the game.

And when you pause the game you are NO LONGER PLAYING THE GAME :D I have my Far Cry 3 paused while I'm typing this, is System Wars an awesome new gameplay feature of Far Cry 3? :shock: :P
#86 Posted by p3anut (5993 posts) -

Next gen= successor of the previous system, plain and simple.

#87 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] Sharing tips and strategies is what you do when you AREN'T PLAYING THE GAME. Team voice chat is what you do when you ARE PLAYING THE GAME. locopatho

And when you pause the game you are NO LONGER PLAYING THE GAME :D I have my Far Cry 3 paused while I'm typing this, is System Wars an awesome new gameplay feature of Far Cry 3? :shock: :P

I have my computer on with skype while playing video games, isn't voicechat such a good feature? Seriously there's no difference They're both interfaces that make online gaming easier, thus they're related to games
#88 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]you can pause the game any time and view posts on the community page, all without having to exit the game.Shinobishyguy

I have my computer on with skype while playing video games, isn't voicechat such a good feature? Seriously there's no difference They're both interfaces that make online gaming easier, thus they're related to games

If you set up a Skype channel to chat to your teammates that WOULD improve gameplay, but WOULDN'T be a console feature. While Miiverse DOESN'T improve gameplay but DOES exist as a console feature. And Xbox Party Chat DOES improve gameplay and DOES exist as a console feature. It's basic logic friend, I know you're smart enough to follow :)
#89 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="locopatho"] And when you pause the game you are NO LONGER PLAYING THE GAME :D I have my Far Cry 3 paused while I'm typing this, is System Wars an awesome new gameplay feature of Far Cry 3? :shock: :Plocopatho

If you set up a Skype channel to chat to your teammates that WOULD improve gameplay, but WOULDN'T be a console feature. While Miiverse DOESN'T improve gameplay but DOES exist as a console feature. And Xbox Party Chat DOES improve gameplay and DOES exist as a console feature. It's basic logic friend, I know you're smart enough to follow :)

what about crossgame chat? IS that also a gaming feature?

Also you can add people to your friends list via miiverse, so if I do that and he pops up on my team, by all means that does improve gameplay

#90 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]I have my computer on with skype while playing video games, isn't voicechat such a good feature? Seriously there's no difference They're both interfaces that make online gaming easier, thus they're related to games

It doesn't affect gameplay, no. That's just a nice social feature.
#91 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="locopatho"] If you set up a Skype channel to chat to your teammates that WOULD improve gameplay, but WOULDN'T be a console feature. While Miiverse DOESN'T improve gameplay but DOES exist as a console feature. And Xbox Party Chat DOES improve gameplay and DOES exist as a console feature. It's basic logic friend, I know you're smart enough to follow :)locopatho

but for games that have miiverse right ingame, it's still not a gaming feature? Even tough those messages that show up could very well point you in the right direction or help you uncover secrets?

#92 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]what about crossgame chat? IS that also a gaming feature?Shinobishyguy

but for games that have miiverse right ingame, it's still not a gaming feature? Even tough those messages that show up could very well point you in the right direction or help you uncover secrets?

If you can write in game hints on the wall like "tough enemy ahead!" you could make the argument that affects gameplay. I'd still say it's more of a social feature tho. Like having a buddy in the room saying "Watch out, this boss is a tough fvcker!" Or a Gamefaqs guide saying to prepare for a tough fight in a certain place. It's a handy hint but it's not affecting how the game plays is it? Just affecting player knowledge. Now, if another player could use Miiverse to jump in as Luigi and help, THAT would be a gameplay feature!
#93 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22647 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="locopatho"] It doesn't affect gameplay, no. That's just a nice social feature.locopatho

If you can write in game hints on the wall like "tough enemy ahead!" you could make the argument that affects gameplay. I'd still say it's more of a social feature tho. Like having a buddy in the room saying "Watch out, this boss is a tough fvcker!" Or a Gamefaqs guide saying to prepare for a tough fight in a certain place. It's a handy hint but it's not affecting how the game plays is it? Just affecting player knowledge. Now, if another player could use Miiverse to jump in as Luigi and help, THAT would be a gameplay feature!

I'm just saying the way miiverse is set up reminds me alot of the hint system in Dark Souls

#94 Posted by locopatho (21062 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]but for games that have miiverse right ingame, it's still not a gaming feature? Even tough those messages that show up could very well point you in the right direction or help you uncover secrets?

Shinobishyguy

I'm just saying the way miiverse is set up reminds me alot of the hint system in Dark Souls

Yeah and you could play that offline if you wanted and it'd still play the same... though the hints could be very useful...
#95 Posted by Jag85 (5357 posts) -

History keeps repeating itself...

In 2005, many gamers on internet forums were doubting the 360 was next-gen, even comparing its launch games unfavourably with late GameCube games. People thought the 360 would be finished once the PS3 comes out... And yet today, the 360 continues to match the PS3, blow-for-blow.

And over twenty years before that, the NES was, technically, barely an improvement over the Atari 5200 in the 2nd generation... Yet what made the NES "next gen" was not its graphical capabilities, but its D-pad "gimmick" and, more importantly, its revolutionary games that utilized this "gimmick" and pushed the NES to its limits.

#96 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9891 posts) -
so many people just love the idea of labeling the wiiu last gen (or "not next gen"). I used to get annoyed by this but I don't care anymore. Do whatever you want. I would accept calling the wiiu 360/ps3 gen console. I don't care about tech too much. I only bought a ps3 because I wanted the games that came out with it. If Rockstar released a real sequel to San Andreas as a PS2 exclusive today, I would rush out to buy it and I would enjoy it just as much as if it were released 6 years ago. I'm not a wiiu owner but I'll buy one if the games are great, even if its trounced in the tech wars.
#97 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]What makes a console next gen?Heil68
When it is released.

Is there specific date?
#98 Posted by donalbane (16379 posts) -
Here's another perspective... Wii U is the next gen Nintendo console, but Nintendo has been a generation behind ever since the Wii came out. So from the Xbox/PS3 owners perspectives, the Nintendo just joined the current gen just as it started to end for them.
#99 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34323 posts) -

graphics nor miiverse constitute a system being next-gen/ The Wii U launched after the 7th generation (Wii, 360, PS3) and thus has begun the 8th gen. It's all about time. 

You wouldn't say a grandpa that's more poweful than their grandson is a generation above their grandchild. 

#100 Posted by airshocker (30978 posts) -

Miiverse is the innovation you should care about because it opens the System up more, Social Gaming is starting to become the norm. We should be embracing the Social Connectivity we have with not just our friends but other gamers in the system.

Someone needs help on ZombiU, Let's help them!

Online Fighting Tourny going on right now on Tekken Tag 2? Let's do it!

COD BLOPSII Clan Meet? Gotta go.

The Chat board just has endless possiblities, Imagine having that in not just Nintendo consoles, but on an Xbox system or a Playstation. 

LegatoSkyheart

Wtf does "social gaming" even mean? The only social aspect I care about is finding people to stomp competitively and I already get that, plus a wider selection of games, with my 360 and PS3.

My point still stands. The WiiU is mediocre, at best, and it's sales reflect that.