WiiU, 3DS is the Future of FPS

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TigerWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TigerWars
Member since 2011 • 427 Posts

The gyroscrope first person control in both of these devices (Vita?) is the most intuitive and responsive method to aim I've ever used. I became a believer of that today after I started playing OoT 3D.

The gyroscope aiming is super easy and intuitive and I can see if being a very fun option in FPS for the upcoming generation. Imagine playing FPS is an office chair and spinning around to turn. I seriously can't wait to see some games utilize this. (especially survival horror). I would obviously want current control methods to stay around with it but I see this new motion control having a huge impact on the future.

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
As long as it remains an option and not a requirement.
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

nah. it's a neat little feature, but doesn't replace traditional control methods in the slightest.

TigerWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TigerWars

nah. it's a neat little feature, but doesn't replace traditional control methods in the slightest.

theuncharted34
Nah what? You just agreed with me...
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

theuncharted34
Dunno. Traditional control methods have never been neat.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KungfuKitten

Battlefield is the future of the FPS genre, and it belongs to the Xbox and PlayStation. Try again.

CallOfDutyXxX
Completely off topic, again.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

They call this spherical view and I love it. It's like the controller of Wii U is a window to the game world and it's all happening around you.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#9 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Call of Duty is the future of the FPS genre, and it belongs to the Xbox and PlayStation. Try again.

CallOfDutyXxX

:lol:

Funny stuff brah, but Call of Duty hasn't been relevant to gaming since 2007.

TigerWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TigerWars

They call this spherical view and I love it. It's like the controller of Wii U is a window to the game world and it's all happening around you.

SuperFlakeman
Does anyone know if the Vita has this built-in as well? I'm already kind of tempted to buy one.
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

I disagree. that is all

CallOfDutyXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CallOfDutyXxX
Member since 2011 • 152 Posts

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyXxX"]

Call of Duty is the future of the FPS genre, and it belongs to the Xbox and PlayStation. Try again.

NeonNinja

Of course not, that's why every single FPS developer has been copying it, since 2007.

:roll:

GojiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GojiMaster
Member since 2009 • 451 Posts

does it work that well? I found the gyroscopic controls on the FaceHunters AR game to be very difficult to position properly. I was quite frustrated by it actually.

How about the touch pad? In theory, the touchpad could almost function like a mousepad. If one could use their thumb and not a stylus to aim on the screen, the 3DS could definitely be great with FPS games.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

CallOfDutyXxX

Seriously dude!Stop going off topic intopics that are not related to CallofDuty. We know how much you're in love with the franchise, but can you please give it a breakonce and for all. If you want to talk about the game so much create your own thread about it or talk about it in the SW lounge.

TigerWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TigerWars

does it work that well? I found the gyroscopic controls on the FaceHunters AR game to be very difficult to position properly. I was quite frustrated by it actually.

How about the touch pad? In theory, the touchpad could almost function like a mousepad. If one could use their thumb and not a stylus to aim on the screen, the 3DS could definitely be great with FPS games.

GojiMaster
Yeah for some reason, while Face Raiders was fun, it didn't really interest me that much. OoT 3D gyro controls, however, are done very well and have me very excited
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I hope this ends up being true in the future for both platforms.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

The gyroscrope first person control in both of these devices (Vita?) is the most intuitive and responsive method to aim I've ever used. I became a believer of that today after I started playing OoT 3D.

The gyroscope aiming is super easy and intuitive and I can see if being a very fun option in FPS for the upcoming generation. Imagine playing FPS is an office chair and spinning around to turn. I seriously can't wait to see some games utilize this. (especially survival horror). I would obviously want current control methods to stay around with it but I see this new motion control having a huge impact on the future.

TigerWars

im sorry but NOTHING will come close to mouse in terms of accuracy or keybaord in terms of effectiveness or utility..

and when all else fail novint falcon.. wut now ???

the DS's attempt at fps & tps were laughable and i doubt theyve made any significant improvements to that..

the wii u.. ninja prease..

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KungfuKitten

[QUOTE="TigerWars"]

ionusX

im sorry but NOTHING will come close to mouse in terms of accuracy or keybaord in terms of effectiveness or utility..

and when all else fail novint falcon.. wut now ???

the DS's attempt at fps & tps were laughable and i doubt theyve made any significant improvements to that..

the wii u.. ninja prease..

Yet, how good FPS controls are, is not determined by precision or speed.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SuperFlakeman

Does anyone know if the Vita has this built-in as well? I'm already kind of tempted to buy one.TigerWars

They where experimenting with the idea, but you need a PS3 and a Vita for that, so don't expect much support in that regard, like with Move, it's "peripheral" status.

With Wii U the secondary screen is the main feature of the system.

If you're talking about the 3DS type of Gyro, Vita has sixaxis technology, I don't think it works as a gyro, it's more for tilting stuff.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SuperFlakeman

ionusX

This is 100% true.

But. Wii U's spherical view is more immersive and fun to use. It feels like the game world is around you, it's a new type of experience.

It's sort of like comparing Wii Sports Tennis to an actual tennis game, different experience, you play the former for arcady fun, not for competetive precision.

Nobody is saying that this will replace other means of input in terms of accuracy and such. It's just a neat option, sure you'll get tired after hours of usage, but I don't mind that, it's more fun.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

SuperFlakeman

This is 100% true.

But. Wii U's spherical view is more immersive and fun to use. It feels like the game world is around you, it's a new type of experience.

It's sort of like comparing Wii Sports Tennis to an actual tennis game, different experience, you play the former for arcady fun, not for competetive precision.

Nobody is saying that this will replace other means of input in terms of accuracy and such. It's just a neat option, sure you'll get tired after hours of usage, but I don't mind that, it's more fun.

and by the time the gmaing world will perfect this technology microsoft will have made their VR room technology consumer affordable..

yes microsoft has a holodeck!! (atm its for networking & administration but soon.. soon you shall feel my wrath like never before!)

Kevz0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kevz0
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyXxX"]

CallOfDutyXxX

Of course not, that's why every single FPS developer has been copying it, since 2007.

They have been copying it because kids like you are buying it.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ionusX

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyXxX"]

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

Kevz0

They have been copying it because kids like you are buying it.

yep hence why we big kids refer to CoD as cawa dooty!

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Dual analog: Simply too slow.
IR Pointer: Too jittery (and to some, too much effort).
Mouse and Keyboard: A little jittery, turning a decent amount requires mouse hopping (personally a little uncomfortable (especially with the keys)).

I have yet to see a perfect home console method for a FPS. I dunno if this will be it, but it has potential.

Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
The Vita can do this as well. Just wanted to clear up the "(vita?)" in the OP.
amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

TigerWars
I think it will certainly make aiming in fps titles on more traditional controllers a lot quicker. The one thing I would change however is to make the amount you have to move much smaller so rather than having to move the device 1:1 with where you want to you look you can simply make very small tilts to do the same things really quickly. That way you can still play on your couch as per usual.
TigerWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TigerWars
[QUOTE="TigerWars"]

amaneuvering
I think it will certainly make aiming in fps titles on more traditional controllers a lot quicker. The one thing I would change however is to make the amount you have to move much smaller so rather than having to move the device 1:1 with where you want to you look you can simply make very small tilts to do the same things really quickly. That way you can still play on your couch as per usual.

Yes small tilts are recognized, its hard to explain, but very easy to use. I use in conjunction with the analog stick as they both can be used to move the camera, and it works phenomenally.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

The Wii and its controller was supposed to be the future but those insolent developers and publishers never quite made sufficient use of it to make it big.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

cant wait for silent scope wii u

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Anyway, the concept sounds great, especially if you have a wheely chair. Once again, however, I must stress that those insolent publishers and developers have to make use of the feature in order for it to shine.

lazzordude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lazzordude
Member since 2003 • 6685 Posts

I love playing OoT3D in an office swivel chair :3

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

While I do like the gyroscope aiming in OoT, PC is the past, present and future of FPS

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
I think spinning all around is too much. Maybe just the sides of your TV, like at most 2 feet to the sides. Keeping the main television in your vision. The TV is ignored, while you play with your back to it. This sounds really stupid to me.
TigerWars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TigerWars

Anyway, the concept sounds great, especially if you have a wheely chair. Once again, however, I must stress that those insolent publishers and developers have to make use of the feature in order for it to shine.

Hexagon_777
It's different this time though. It looks like third party support will be pretty strong for the WiiU thanks to the hardware and controller. I'm hoping Gyro and IR get alot of attention this upcoming gen
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Analog sticks and a keyboard + mouse are both 10x better wit FPS games...

Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Mouse & keyboard is superior. More responsive, more precise, allows for more complexity.

There is no way that a gyroscope is the future of FPS. The thought of playing BF3 without kb + mouse makes me cringe.

DSmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DSmon
Member since 2009 • 2220 Posts

If the 3DS, vita, or Wii U can mimic how this game feels...

then I can totally see FPS working well with a gyro control scheme.

theking52_TDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 theking52_TDK
Member since 2008 • 943 Posts

While I do like the gyroscope aiming in OoT, PC is the past, present and future of FPS

scoots9

your sig makes me feel sad : (

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

The Wii and its controller was supposed to be the future but those insolent developers and publishers never quite made sufficient use of it to make it big.

Hexagon_777
The wiimote just wasn't that good of a motion controller even with motion plus look at razer new motion controller sixense to see with the wii should have been if it had launched with that along with somewhat comparable specs to the ps3/360 and things would have turned out differently.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I can't imagine having to move the tablet or 3DS just to aim. Hands would be so tired and precision would be a complete hassle.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I love playing OoT3D in an office swivel chair :3

lazzordude
Hah, I knew I wasn't the only one who did that.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Like someone said earlier, as long as it's an option and not a requirement. Wasn't this said about the Wiimote as well though? :|

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts
spin... around... on an office chair.... to turn....... Well I get you 3DS lovers do LOVE those headaches and eyestrain, now with added dizzyness and nausia. Seriously you didnt think that through =/
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Nope, it's accurate yes, but I think you'd get motion sickness turning around too much, I know you don't have to do a full turn for a 360 but still.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

[QUOTE="CallOfDutyXxX"]

NeonNinja

tell that to the 90 percent of devs copying them

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

I rather use the stylus and the touch screen, thank you very much.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Yeah...that's what they said about the Wiimote. I'd wait and see.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17822 Posts
on consoles maybe. mouse and keyboard will remain king. talking just consoles though i agree with the topic but not the TCs reasoning. its the touch screen that has the ability to improve aiming and accuracy. the DS was brilliant at FPS controls and the 3DS is essentially the same thing. so thats going to be great at FPS controls also. the wiiu pad can also be seen as the lower screen of the DS (just much bigger...and with more buttons etc.). so that has a very good chance also, depending on implementation. using the whole screen just for aiming and calibrating it under the assumption that the player will use the whole screen to aim is a bad idea for wiiu. stretching that far even with a stylus while holding the controller would be very very uncomfortable. using the bottom quarter roughly should get the job done. im also very interested in vitas possibilities for FPSs. not because of DA (blegh) but because of the back touch surface. its hard to say without getting my hands on it but the back touch panel could be an excellent way to aim. having the back touch panel also means that your finger wont be blocking the screen while aiming.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SuperFlakeman

spin... around... on an office chair.... to turn....... Well I get you 3DS lovers do LOVE those headaches and eyestrain, now with added dizzyness and nausia. Seriously you didnt think that through =/Birdy09

I experienced a minor eyestrain in one eye day one, and zero side effects after that.

As for the gyro, I have an office chair but I barely spin at all mostly all I do is move my arms when aiming in OoT and I can say that it's more faster and fun that way. I'd have to play a shooter or something to judge its accuracy more farily, but it's good in OoT the only issue is that you can't keep your arms 100% still so the 'cursor' will move around a little. Overall I can see it replace dual analogue.

Edit: Obviously you have to turn the 3D off for the gyro, the feature is more relevant on Wii U.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#50 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

im sick of fps so why should i care all i know is nintendo offers more then just that so ill still be happy , with or without those features

i doubt ill be b uying 3 consoles again , this gen was worthless , the worst gen in history

and all those fpses prove this for me ,

and the fact a game that took 15 years to make got out scored by call of duty a game which is made every freakin year and still is bad lol