wii u vs ps4 cpu

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@TheGuardian03 said:

My 2010 laptop is better than the Wii U.

The Wii u has already been maxed out with Xenoblade and Smash bros.

Nope. You have no proof of this. I'm not even saying the Wii U is worth much when it comes to raw hardware power, but to make a claim that the system has been maxed out, without any proof to back it up, is a ridiculous assertion. Especially since there are potentially system resources that Nintendo could free up in the future (such as the 1GB of RAM reserved for the OS).

Xenoblades X will probably max out Wii-U since it looks pretty good and is open world, Zelda is maybe the only other game that could do the same.

There won't be anything that dramatically looks better, or unlocks any "magic" hidden power. These "untapped power" expectations are always comical about any system. Yes, as a hardware generation goes on, developers get more efficient and make smoother/better looking games, but it's not like it's a dramatic shift - it's just subtle improvements with each software iteration. But of course these improvements generally apply to ALL platforms, whether static hardware or not. The problem for Wii-U of course is that there are very few developers actually making games for it - and of course Nintendo knows it's own hardware. Nintendo probably only has a handful of games left in them for Wii-U, besides some of the low budgety stuff. There's Zelda, Starfox, Metroid(hopefully)... probably another 3D Mario (one would hope). The rest of the lineup is not likely to push any new boundaries for the platform as they are likely to see smaller production budgets.

Basically Wii-U owners better be happy with Xenoblade X and possibly Zelda. But even those are sort of last gen looking. Hardly groundbreaking stuff, their aesthetics are more about art-style.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@RyviusARC said:

@2Chalupas said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

PS4's GPU roughly match desktop Radeon HD R7-265 or near high end laptop GPU ie. Radeon HD 8950M. Your claim on PS4's GPU being low end laptop part is bull$hit.

The GTX 970m and 980m demolish the PS4.

The weaker 970m is more than twice the power of the PS4 While the 980m is about 3 times the power of the PS4.

This early into the generation and laptops are already decimating consoles.

Lowest priced 970m equipped laptop on newegg = $1499. 980m = $2099.

In other words, cool story bro.

There was a sale recently where the 970m was 1399USD...

But of course they cost a lot.

The 1399USD ASUS ROG laptop my friend got was much better built than a lousy PS4.

It has a great 1080p IPS screen and much better cooling than what is used in the PS4.

Also the 970m laptop is more mobile and compact compared to the PS4.

Try adding in the price of a quality monitor for the PS4 and it gets even closer to the price of a 970m laptop.

Now take into account that the 970 is more than twice the power of the PS4 and the bang for buck is not as bad.

In a year or so getting a laptop with similar power to the PS4 will probably cost around 500-600USD which is cheap for a laptop.

My current laptop from late 2012 is not as strong as the PS4 but blows last gen consoles away and it only cost me 315USD.

LOL u talking trash and don't even own the PC that qualifies your discussion.

I kind of doubt your claim that a 2012 laptop costing only $315 even "blows away" last gen - it's starting to sound like you are full of crap. A custom built PC, sure, $315 can blow away last gen - but a 2012 laptop (purchased in 2012) at that price? LOLNO.

My last laptop purchase was 2013, and I got an 3rd gen i5 and integrated graphics, and I believe it was $399. There were NO gaming laptops cheaper than that. The only laptops that might have been cheaper and more capable for gaming, might have been an AMD-APU type processor (perhaps A6 or A8 level). But those hardly "blow away" last gen, let alone compete with PS4 or any newer high end PC's.

Your right I don't have a 970m laptop.

I have a desktop with 2 full powered 970s that are overclocked to perform like GTX 980s.

My computer is more than 6 times the power of the PS4.

Also I got my 315USD laptop on ebay. It has an i5 3230m and Nvidia 650m that performs like a 660m when it is slightly overclocked.

It easily beats last gen consoles but of course is not as powerful as the PS4.

But since I bought this laptop with a small 14in screen and 1366x768 resolution I can play new games like Alien Isolation, Max Payne 3 or Murdered: Soul Suspect at max settings with no issues. I am even able to play Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes maxed.

I never really planned on gaming with this laptop but it's nice that I can always use it for some light gaming when I am away from my desktop.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 RyviusARC

@ronvalencia said:
@RyviusARC said:

@2Chalupas said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

PS4's GPU roughly match desktop Radeon HD R7-265 or near high end laptop GPU ie. Radeon HD 8950M. Your claim on PS4's GPU being low end laptop part is bull$hit.

The weaker 970m is more than twice the power of the PS4 While the 980m is about 3 times the power of the PS4.

Lowest priced 970m equipped laptop on newegg = $1499. 980m = $2099.

In other words, cool story bro.

There was a sale recently where the 970m was 1399USD...

But of course they cost a lot.

The 1399USD ASUS ROG laptop my friend got was much better built than a lousy PS4.

It has a great 1080p IPS screen and much better cooling than what is used in the PS4.

Also the 970m laptop is more mobile and compact compared to the PS4.

Try adding in the price of a quality monitor for the PS4 and it gets even closer to the price of a 970m laptop.

Now take into account that the 970 is more than twice the power of the PS4 and the bang for buck is not as bad.

In a year or so getting a laptop with similar power to the PS4 will probably cost around 500-600USD which is cheap for a laptop.

My current laptop from late 2012 is not as strong as the PS4 but blows last gen consoles away and it only cost me 315USD.

970M is roughtly around R9-M295X (Mobile Tonga GCN) level. R9-M290X uses the older mobile Pitcairn GCN.

R9-M290X is around 30 pecrent slower than 970M.

The 970m performs a little better than the desktop GTX 680 and a little weaker than the desktop GTX 770.

It's pretty much around 5% between both.

This is the first time I've seen laptop gpus perform so well compared their desktop counterparts.

The GTX 980m performs close to a desktop Titan gpu.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#55  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@nyadc said:

The CPU in the Wii-U is a slightly more powerful adaptation of the CPU that was in the Xbox 360, it's not more powerful than the CPU's in the PlayStation 4/Xbox One.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

PS4 by a long shot. As the gen goes on and more games that are CPU heavy will expose just how weak it is.

I'm sure there are some days the CPU is so weak it refuses to turn on until it has more rest.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@DaBrainz said:

It doesn't matter. The eyeball test says that nothing on the PS4 blows the WiiU out of the water.

This, when your library includes games like Smash and Zelda, and the competition has QTE games like TLOU and The Order, graphics don't matter too much.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 dino7c
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Yet driveclub and the order look as good as anything on PC, certainly not 3 times worse

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 dino7c

@psx_warrior said:

@DaBrainz said:

It doesn't matter. The eyeball test says that nothing on the PS4 blows the WiiU out of the water.

This, when your library includes games like Smash and Zelda, and the competition has QTE games like TLOU and The Order, graphics don't matter too much.

When did Zelda come out?

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 RyviusARC

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Yet driveclub and the order look as good as anything on PC, certainly not 3 times worse

Must suck running Assassin's Creed Unity at 15fps while I run it at 60fps with no drops at max settings and twice the resolution.

Also must suck running The Evil Within at 22fps at below 1080p while I run it at 5.6 times the resolution and can still hit 50fps.

Your puny console was outdated before it was even released.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#61  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

The PS4 CPU is more powerful, easily. The Wii U doesn't use an IBM server CPU. It uses a heavily modified version of the Wii CPU. There were rumors, and an accidental confirmation from IBM about the Wii U using Power7. Espresso, Wii U's CPU, only has superficial similarities to Power7, such as eDRAM. It has three single thread cores clocked at about 1.2Ghz. Overall, it's closer to Broadway.

The PS4 CPU, on the other hand, runs at 1.6Ghz and has eight cores. It has a more modern architecture and is considerably more powerful than Espresso.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

I'll reply to this topic by saying although the PS4 has thee most impressive hardware and can pump out amazing visuals, that being said, Nintendo has a flawless reputation for being able to do the most with the least amount of specs, console after console.

Nintendo games have a natural blend of beautiful animated graphics and music that appear to have been united in a birth canal. It's just amazing how there games now matter how easy or difficult they can be to play the scenery and music seamlessly flow and keep your spirits up regardless of the out come of your game progress.

Even if a person is aggravated they always go back to a Nintendo game in a matter of hours, where as being stuck at a boss battle in some 3rd party PS4 or X1 game can make you either smash your controller to the ground, trade the game or just avoid it for weeks on end.

Nintendo games will always have that certain charm that keeps people coming back over your generic Call of Duty and Halo or Resident Evil type games.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 dino7c

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Must suck running Assassin's Creed Unity at 15fps while I run it at 60fps with no drops at max settings and twice the resolution.

Also must suck running The Evil Within at 22fps at below 1080p while I run it at 5.6 times the resolution and can still hit 50fps.

It must suck playing either of those games at all

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RyviusARC

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Lol must suck having to lie to yourself because your weak console can't handle them well.

Well you can wait another 5-6 years until new consoles arrive and you will have something powerful enough to run them.....oh wait there won't be any backwards compatibility to play them like PC....unless they resell them to you as hd remasters for bloated prices.

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts

@dino7c said:

@psx_warrior said:

@DaBrainz said:

When did Zelda come out?

It's a given that Zelda will come out, so that's why I said it.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 dino7c

@psx_warrior said:

@dino7c said:

@psx_warrior said:

@DaBrainz said:

When did Zelda come out?

It's a given that Zelda will come out, so that's why I said it.

Well lots of games will come out for the others systems, I would stop short of bragging about games that don't exist yet

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 dino7c

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Lol must suck having to lie to yourself because your weak console can't handle them well.

Well you can wait another 5-6 years until new consoles arrive and you will have something powerful enough to run them.....oh wait there won't be any backwards compatibility to play them like PC....unless they resell them to you as hd remasters for bloated prices.

Who said I don't have a PC, just stating facts..."3 times the power" doesn't mean you are getting 3 times better graphics. Properly optimized exclusive PS4 games look as good as anything on PC right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

The PS4 has a more powerful cpu.. Which isn't saying much when there are processors like the i5 2500k that was released in the beginning of 2011 are still more powerful....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-59d151f079814

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Who said I don't have a PC, just stating facts..."3 times the power" doesn't mean you are getting 3 times better graphics. Properly optimized exclusive PS4 games look as good as anything on PC right now.

This is a load of shit.. More than ever.. Not only are pc's able to play at higher resolutions than the PS4 can manage, but it can do it at 60fps and beyond.. This is completely ignoring the numerous affects and AA that the pc uses over the PS4's.. The PS4 looks good, but don't even kid your self on that.. Especially when the majority of the games are capped 30fps, which is ridiculous..

faking_it_bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 faking_it_bad
Member since 2015 • 31 Posts

@speak_low said:

I'll try to explain the difference. Be prepared, though. I'm going to get very technical:

PS4:

Wii U:

lmao bredda, wii u looks even worse than da playstation second edition. what up with dat?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@speak_low said:

I'll try to explain the difference. Be prepared, though. I'm going to get very technical:

PS4:

Wii U:

Read http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/460524/DirectX_11_vs_DirectX_12_oversimplified

Pay very very close attention to GDC this year. Even if you’re an OpenGL fan. NVidia, AMD, Microsoft, Intel and Sony have a unified goal. Something is about to happen. Something wonderful.

Like DirectX 12 and GLnext, Sony has a surprise for this year's 2015 GDC.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

GPGPU development will make any differences in per core CPU performance a moot point. Not to mention the PS4's GPU absolutely demolishes the Wii U's GPU.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@emgesp:

Both Radeon HD R7-260 at 853 Mhz (~XBO) and Radeon HD R7-265(~PS4) GPUs demolishes Radeon HD 45x0/46x0 class GPU (~Wii U).

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@ronvalencia said:

@emgesp:

Both Radeon HD R7-260 at 853 Mhz (~XBO) and Radeon HD R7-265(~PS4) GPUs demolishes Radeon HD 45x0/46x0 class GPU (~Wii U).

Is it still fair to say that the Wii U's GPU can produce only around 300-400 Gflops? The total console only consumes about 30-35 watts, so the GPU alone can't be consuming more than 20 watts.

I'm also wondering when developers will start taking advantage of the PS4's GPGPU features. Uncharted 4 perhaps? I think I read Mark Cerny stating not until the 2nd or 3rd generation of PS4 games.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By RyviusARC

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

I can play at twice the resolution and still get 3x better frame rates.

Some games I can play at almost 8 times the resolution and still pull twice the frame rate.

For example I can run Thief at higher settings than the PS4 along with 1440p resolution and 4xSSAA which quadruples the resolution of 1440p and I still get around 80fps average while the PS4 runs the game at 1080p with 30fps and drops to the low 20s while having lower settings than PC max.

Same goes for many other games.

The Evil Within runs at 50fps at 4k resolution which is 5.6times that of the PS4 resolution while the PS4 struggles to maintain 30fps and drops to the low 20s.

dino7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 dino7c

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Some games I can play at almost 8 times the resolution and still pull twice the frame rate.

For example I can run Thief at higher settings than the PS4 along with 1440p resolution and 4xSSAA which quadruples the resolution of 1440p and I still get around 80fps average while the PS4 runs the game at 1080p with 30fps and drops to the low 20s while having lower settings than PC max.

The Evil Within runs at 50fps at 4k resolution which is 5.6times that of the PS4 resolution while the PS4 struggles to maintain 30fps and drops to the low 20s.

Maybe you missed the part when I said properly optimized EXCLUSIVE PS4 games look as good as anything on the PC right

You guys keep bringing up 3rd party ports and terrible ones at that. Thief in 4k is still Thief

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Wii U's CPU destroys PC's CPU.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 RyviusARC

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@dino7c said:

@RyviusARC said:

@ronvalencia said:

@speak_low

Maybe you missed the part when I said properly optimized EXCLUSIVE PS4 games look as good as anything on the PC right

You guys keep bringing up 3rd party ports and terrible ones at that. Thief in 4k is still Thief

The PS4 is 9-10 times more powerful than the PS3 but games don't look 9-10 times better.

Also you are using exclusive as a cop out so direct comparisons cannot be made.

Face it, the PS4 is very weak and outdated.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-59d151f079814

@RyviusARC said:

The PS4 is 9-10 times more powerful than the PS3 but games don't look 9-10 times better.

The PS4's cpu doesn't even beat the I5 2500k, a chip that was released in early 2011..

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 RyviusARC

@sSubZerOo said:

@RyviusARC said:

The PS4's cpu doesn't even beat the I5 2500k, a chip that was released in early 2011..

A well overclocked Intel quad core CPU from 2006 can perform better than the PS4's CPU.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#83 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

@mahly

Nice necro bump and delete lol... 8 months haha...

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#84 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

My watch has a better cpu than the WiiU

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts