Why the Wii-U will fail.

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Saigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 -Saigo-
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts

The Wii was a massive success because it did what no system had done since the original NES: It brought casual gamers to the table in masses and put the "family" back in the family room. It was affordable, the controls were simple, the games were harmless, motion controls were innovative and fun, and the Wii was something new and exciting for all ages. Though Nintendo lost some of their hardcore fans due to the gimmicky and broken controls (flicking your wrist to hit a home run, box, or dance), they still hit a grand slam in sales and paved the way for the Wii-U. The Wii-U however, takes the original Wii's formula for success and egotistically flushes it down the toilet.

Sporting an obese, bulky, and undoubtedly heavy touchscreen controller as one of the major console selling points is as interesting as it is ambitious. It doesn't look cheap, probably isn't durable, and may be too heavy for a young child to play with for long. Aside from the issues of the controller itself, Nintendo has announced that there will only be one controller per console. No, the system doesn't come with just one controller—it only uses one controller (tablet). You're stuck with one Wii-U monster/sumo/levitation controller—and that's it. Period. How's that for family friendly?! On the bright side, Nintendo has announced that you'll be allowed to use the Nintendo 3DS as another controller (marketing at its finest), as well as the traditional nunchuk controllers but only one Wii-U controller can be used at a time. I guess your kids will finally learn to share—or your living room will transform into a UFC fight pit every time someone hits the power button.

Though a very limited amount has been said about the Wii-U's motion control, I can't help but wonder how Nintendo plans on implementing it. I can't imagine Nintendo requiring you to lug that controller around or swing it like a tennis racket unless they actually want you to get the workout that the Wii-fit only promised? With motion controls being the central focus of the original Wii I'd imagine Nintendo wouldn't bypass incorporating it into the Wii-U—but with the way they're going I wouldn't be surprised.

When it comes to the Wii-U's affordability, Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo, said in a recent interview with Nikkei Business Daily that the Wii U would likely be priced at more than $250 (The original price of the Wii at launch). Nintendo has yet to announce an official price and probably for good reason considering their stock value dropped over 5% immediately following the announcement of the Wii-U at E3, dropped another 4% the following day, and the Wii-U doesn't look cheap at all. An expensive console, especially when the economy is still on the rebound, isn't a sound investment and is exactly the opposite game plan Nintendo had with the Wii. No wonder stock holders are pulling out in masses.

On another note, Nintendo seems adamant to express their "Mature" 3rd party developer support in a bid to attract the attention of hardcore fans. Though the idea of broadening your fan base isn't a bad one, I do feel that Nintendo is going about it in the wrong direction with the way they're marketing the system. By heavily touting "mature" games, Nintendo is alienating the very fans that made the original Wii such a success. The Wii was bought by parents for younger children and marketing to the wrong geography will result in a decline of sales. The Wii, after all, was made famous by blogging moms—not game crazed teenagers.

As for being innovative the only thing the Wii-U has going for it so far is a touchscreen built into the controller. Touchscreen technology isn't exactly new, hardly breakthrough, and is far better suited to handhelds and cellphones than a console based system.

Finally, the Wii-U will be graphically inferior to its competition. Now wait, wait, wait—I know that Nintendo has announced that the Wii-U will graphically be better than the Ps3 but only barely. My point, however, is we're quickly approaching the end of this generation of consoles and when Sony and Microsoft release their console sequels to the Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3—Nintendo will be behind—badly. Now I hesitate to bring this point up because it's not entirely critical. The Wii was the same way graphically but still managed to sell ridiculous amounts of units though their appeal was directed towards casual gamers. With the Wii-U, Nintendo is obsessed with bringing back their hardcore fans but are lacking the graphical appeal (compared to the upcoming generation), and can only hope to have a limited allure in the short timeframe they'll have before the next lineup of consoles are released.

The Wii-U will be expensive, graphically outdated, lacking in appeal to hardcore gamers, and too far of a stretch for its already established family-oriented fan base. Nintendo is trying to be too much to too many people and the Wii-U will suffer from it. Stockholders are weary, fans are divided, and only a true fan-boy would have the nerve to outright support the Wii-U in its current state. While the Wii-U won't sink Nintendo, unless they get their priorities straight, a successful business plan finalized, and recognize who their fans and market are—it could spell the beginning of the end.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Their priorities straight -- you mean they need to make the consoles that you want right? Namely the carbon copy of PS3 and 360 but with better graphics?
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I really don't know. Need to know more about the software, capabilities, price, etc.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I guess you're not familiar with Nintendo's Blue Ocean (disruption) strategy. Also, we have no idea what the other companies have planned for their next consoles, but they probably won't be much more powerful than the Wii U will be.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
Nintendo was smart to make such a odd console design with the big bulky tablet controller because I doubt Sony and MS will copy them, just like how the PSvita wasnt given a 3d screen
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

I guess you're not familiar with Nintendo's Blue Ocean (disruption) strategy. Also, we have no idea what the other companies have planned for their next consoles, but they probably won't be much more powerful than the Wii U will be.

Bigboi500

They should at least run that Unreal Engine samaritan demo.

Imagine Deus Ex HR looking this good. :o

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#7 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

There's almost nothing available in regard to the system. It's impossible to tell whether or not it will fail. However, I personally think it will succeed based on Nintendo's track record.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

The Wii was supposed to disrupt the industry. Reggie Fils Aime was hired because he had a background in disruption; a rather slim background, but a background nonetheless, which is as more as you can aspire to, given that "The Innovator's Dilemma" and "The Blue Ocean Strategy" (the latter in particular) were relatively new books that Iwata was beginning to get into.

In that sense, the Wii was meant to attack the industry. The Wii was supposed to prove, among other things, that a video game console could hit the ball out of the park with little support from third parties, basically because it was supposed to attack those same third parties in a way. The Wii proved it could do that, and it did so rather abundantly.

Nintendo bending over to please third parties is, for all intents and purposes, the same thing as abandoning the strategy of disruption. Nintendo are no longer interested in making software that lots of people (those who weren't interested in video games in particular) want to play. Instead, they are making a machine to please the "vision" of self-declared "artists" (first and third party developers alike).

If they are lucky, the next generation will be a tight race between all three companies. If not, they will end up with another Gamecube.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I'm just hoping Sony and MS stick to their guns and don't go the way of Nintendo. Both Sony and MS have sold well over 50 million each. The decline in Wii sales has shown these things slow down in sales whereas the more core Consoles (360/PS3) tend to keep selling consistently. It's primarily always been like this. I'm very dissapointed that Nintendo has made another Console that revolves around a Controllerthat seems to be nothing but a gimmick. They better have a stellar lineup or I won't bite like I did with the Wii. The Wii was worth it in some aspects, but in most aspects, it was a huge dissapointment. Wii U had better have some fine games.

calvinsora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#10 calvinsora
Member since 2009 • 7076 Posts

I'm just hoping Sony and MS stick to their guns and don't go the way of Nintendo. Both Sony and MS have sold well over 50 million each. The decline in Wii sales has shown these things slow down in sales whereas the more core Consoles (360/PS3) tend to keep selling consistently. It's primarily always been like this. I'm very dissapointed that Nintendo has made another Console that revolves around a Controllerthat seems to be nothing but a gimmick. They better have a stellar lineup or I won't bite like I did with the Wii. The Wii was worth it in some aspects, but in most aspects, it was a huge dissapointment. Wii U had better have some fine games.

Puckhog04

Just had to point out that the Wii sales were slower because it had already saturated the market, aka everyone who wanted one had already got it. It's not that views suddenly changed all of a sudden, there's nothing that suggests that.

Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
I dont know, my only problem with the wii-u is that it came out a little too late. I mean ps4-xbox720 might 2 years away from releasing, making the wii-u obsolete. If we had a minimum of 3 more years ( counting fromt the release of the wii-u) on the current gen, i think it might work. Also nintendo needs to secure 3rd games, such as gta and cod if they want to appeal to a larger number of gamers, maybe add in some 3rd party exclusives, such as metal gear or resident evil .
ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Nintendo has an amazing plan. They are going to own the next generation also if Sony and Microsoft don't do something different. The reason why Wii sales had started to drop recently is because the console isn't as innovated as it use to be. Xbox 360 is selling because of the Kinect innovation and Playstation is selling because of the games. All Nintendo has to do is come out with a console that can innovate at the beginning and also innovate year by year.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a fan boy but Nintendo is a company with decades of experience and I think they'd know what they're doing.
monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

it will fail.....or at least be in last place

1. price will be too high

2.not many of the wii buyers will buy it

3. not many core gamerswill buy it, because most already have a ps3 or 360 and they can get the the cod, madden, and other big third party games on the system they already have.

4. mario still years away...

5. the controller is too big and the buttons are too tiny

6. what im guessing will be a high costing controller will scare away parents buying in fear of paying to get another..

7.ps4

8. next box

9.it dont have a wow factor, nothing shown yet has me wanting 1

10. after buying a wii nintendo has to earn my or others trust they qwe aint buying a gimmic again

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I think the Wii-U would do fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

I really don't know. Need to know more about the software, capabilities, price, etc. SaltyMeatballs

I feel the same way.

I'm gonna wait till either Gamescom 2011 or TGS 2011 to see what's up with WiiU.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a fan boy but Nintendo is a company with decades of experience and I think they'd know what they're doing.rubber-chicken
they make money machines..... people will wize up and see that soon.... look at the ds and wii worst systems but sold the best due to gimmics...

Puckhog04
too true
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Puckhog04

Microsoft has already abandoned "their guns" so to speak with the focus on Kinect. It looks like Sony and Nintendo are the ones who will cater to core console gamers now.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#19 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

You make some vaild points but I'm still going to hold out for more info on this system over the next year.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

calvinsora

Just had to point out that the Wii sales were slower because it had already saturated the market, aka everyone who wanted one had already got it. It's not that views suddenly changed all of a sudden, there's nothing that suggests that.

That was my point. But, as far as I'm concerned, the Wii left alot of bad blood with some people. Nintendo doesn't have that edge that they did with the Wii. Market Saturation could come even quicker. Then again, I'm making assumptions (though thinking it's going to sell like the Wii is an assumption as well). I'm just dissapointed with the design of it.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I imagine the controler will keep me away, that and the Wii online. Going to stick to my plan for nextgen and go with PS Vita,PC, and PS4.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Its kind of hard to determine its success when we know little more than what it looks like. And the PS3 was commercially successful for Sony despite starting at 599USD. As long as Nintendo delivers a platform people want to play, and developers want to make games for... then they won. Hell, they won with the Wii even though it didn't get very much third-party support. Graphical upgrades aren't what defines a console. If it was, then the PS3 would be winning and the Wii would have shut Nintendo down. Ironically, the exact opposite is true. People buy things that are fun. The majority of the gaming public aren't video-/audio-/techno-philes. Especially on consoles. They usually buy them for the games.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="rubber-chicken"]I don't mean to sound like a fan boy but Nintendo is a company with decades of experience and I think they'd know what they're doing.monson21502
they make money machines..... people will wize up and see that soon.... look at the ds and wii worst systems but sold the best due to gimmics...

Puckhog04

too true

To say the Nintendo DS was a bad system is down right silly, and to rank the Wii and DS with that of the Atari Jaguar, Philips CD-i, Apple Pin-Pin, Jaguar CD, Atari 5200, and Virtual Boy is down right ignorant.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

It's too early to say what will happen. Many people were predicting the Wii would be a miserable failure before its release purely because of its lack of graphical horsepower.

It will come down to how expensive the console is and whether or not it gets that all-important third-party support. If it's affordable and if it gets that developer support, it will be a big success.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Bigboi500

Microsoft has already abandoned "their guns" so to speak with the focus on Kinect. It looks like Sony and Nintendo are the ones who will cater to core console gamers now.

Well, MS still has it's first party games like Halo, Forza, and Fable and such. Hoping for a sequel to Alan Wake. :)

Microsoft also has the benefit of still having a standard controller as it's primary form of use whereas the Wii didn't. All the big third party companies are putting exclusive/multiplats/console exclusive titles on 360. MS has that edge that Nintendo never had. While Nintendo's first party is great, their third party titles are typically very casual nowadays. If Nintendo with it's limited franchises (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) is catering to the core gamer than MS certainly is as well with Halo, Forza, Gears, etc.

Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

Puckhog04
I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft expand on there whole Kinect crap next gen. They may even focus less on traditional controllers and more on easy access hardwaren and family friendly games if you look at how they've become now. Also, with the new interactive adds they've introduced it doesn't look all that great for Microsoft (for the hardcore).
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Puckhog04

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

Crystal-Rush

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft expand on there whole Kinect crap next gen. They may even focus less on traditional controllers and more on easy access hardwaren and family friendly games if you look at how they've become now. Also, with the new interactive adds they've introduced it doesn't look all that great for Microsoft (for the hardcore).

I'm hoping they stick with the standard controller and a Console way of doing things. Like always. If it's only Kinect stuff I will seriously reconsider which Console to get at launch; Wii U or Next Xbox. Only for certain launch one then would be PS4. Granted, I'd own all 3 at some point like i always have.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#28 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

The only reason I could see it failing is that it only supports 1 WiiU controller. That would be a major turn-off to many people. Wii was all about family/party fun. Now only 1 person gets to have the fun. Maybe they should include some dice to determine who gets to use the WiiU and who is stuck with the Wii.

kungfuchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 kungfuchaos
Member since 2004 • 5643 Posts

Even knowing as little as we do, I have already decided Im getting WiiU and building a gaming rig in 2012. MS and Sony can kiss it!!! Besides, its going to be close to two more years before we see anything new from MS or Sony console wise. I just dont see the huge leap forward from them that alot of you think will happen. Personally, I just want my games at 1080p and running at a buttery smooth 60fps.

Microsoft1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Microsoft1234
Member since 2006 • 7683 Posts
alot of the reasons you say it will fail are the same reasons the original wii was so successful.
slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts
i dont think itll fail but i will NOT be the juggernaut in sales that the wii had at all....you can quote me on that. for a few reasons. the casuals are already on the wii and i dont think will be willing to shell out more money for mario or zelda or samus.....since thats not what most casuals bought the wii for in the first place. wii sports, wii fit and all those super casual games are what made the wii popular. im pretty sure with the wii u having its tablet being the gimmick next gen....those who were interested this gen wont be next gen. i do however think the wii will be successful like i said.....just not wii sales success. i think next gens sales wil probably be something like the cube and n64 was. fortunatly they made so much money off the wii this gen that they can take the gamble...
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
Should have titled this thread "Why the haters are wrong about Nintendo. Again."
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

TL; DR, but, their stock dropped when the Wii was introduced, investors aren't good at predicting gaming things I don't think. I think it'll be plenty successful, maybe another Wii in success.

I don't like your poll options, to think it'll win = you're a Nintendo fanboy... what bs.

Giant_Panda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Giant_Panda
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts

The core principles behind the Wii were much fresher andmore cohesive to the casual audience than Wii U's core principles are. Wii U's saving grace is that Nintendo is re-targeting the enthusiast consumers and launching before their direct competitiors.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

There's almost nothing available in regard to the system. It's impossible to tell whether or not it will fail. However, I personally think it will succeed based on Nintendo's track record.

calvinsora

Track recond. Look at the N64 and Gamecube and let's talk about that track record.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I imagine the controler will keep me away, that and the Wii online. Going to stick to my plan for nextgen and go with PS Vita,PC, and PS4.

GTSaiyanjin2

That's what I am looking to do as well if the PS4 has BC of course. If it is announced soon, I will just hold out on getting a PS3 and get the PS4 instead. If I end up with a PS3 before the PS4 is announced, then I will wait for 4-5 years before getting one. I am actually more excited for the Vita than I am for getting a PS3, which is weird because I am not really into handhelds as much as consoles.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Ya know, the controller is very light.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

The Wii was successful because it was marketing so well into the family market.
Families across the globe bought them. Christmas times were mad, shops were out of stocked completely it was crazy. Talkshows,radio all over the place.
Now here's the thing.
Will the Wii-U do the same thing?

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

They should at least run that Unreal Engine samaritan demo.

Imagine Deus Ex HR looking this good. :o

Wow.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

The Wii was successful because it was marketing so well into the family market.
Families across the globe bought them. Christmas times were mad, shops were out of stocked completely it was crazy. Talkshows,radio all over the place.
Now here's the thing.
Will the Wii-U do the same thing?

fusionhunter

No. It won't.

The wiiu will be fine, but not the big success that the wii was. The wiiu can't decide who it's for, and that's a problem. I don't see casuals picking up a wiiu. They already got wiisports and wiifit and moved on. The wiimote got them hooked. The idea of playing with no buttons, the idea that the wiimote could be anything. One look at the huge controller with 12 buttons and two analog sticks and they will go running away. They didn't bother with the PS3 or 360, why would the wiiu tablet be any more appealing? Casuals want the wiimote and party games...and the same stuff on a $400 console is not going to wow them.

Nintendo wants to get hardcore gamers back with M rated third party games, but multi-plats aren't going to get anyone to buy a wiiu. Third parties are not going to waste their time on exclusives for a new console, they are just going to port over their 360 or PS3 games. Gamers are just going to buy those games for the 360 so they can play on XBL with their friends. It's the same reason most people don't buy the big games on PS3. Now, you could argue that unique wiiu features will make these multi-plats more appealing, but never underestimate the laziness of a third party publisher. It's about cutting costs, and they won't bother with anything special if a strait port is cheap. Expect to use the touch screen as a menu and that's about it.

That leaves nintendo to provide the exclusives...mario, zelda, and metroid all over again. Nintendo fans like myself will rush out to get them, but you average gamer won't care because they want HD epic mature games, and your average casual won't care because they want simple stuff to pass the time, not a 3D adventure.

Nintendo is back where they started, a console owned by hardcore nintendo fans and nearly no one else. It's the GC all over.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#41 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

he aint familiar with gaming thats for sure , nintendo has survived 2 horrible gens and came right to the top , ,

the wii u will do fine ,

will it do a wii only time will tell but the guranteed 50 m sales yep

Avatar image for Arbiterisl33t69
Arbiterisl33t69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 Arbiterisl33t69
Member since 2009 • 2542 Posts
I have a strong confidence in Nintendo and online-wise, I know they will deliver. Everyone doubts them because of the Wii's online, but they fail to realize it's a brand new console. They change. Whether or not this will sell as much as the Wii is still beyond our guess. As long as we're back to the old hardcore Ninty days of GC and N64, that's all fine to me. In the end, that's all I really want.
Eurobox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Eurobox
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

Wii U will do fine with the first party titles.

thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

Wii U really needs a really strong launch lineup. That could be the difference.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Some of your points are right. But to be fair to the Wii U we still don't what the system specs are so until more info comes out I won't critizie it, expect for the name which is terrible.

Birdy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Birdy09
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

The Wii was a massive success because it did what no system had done since the original NES: It brought casual gamers to the table in masses and put the "family" back in the family room. It was affordable, the controls were simple, the games were harmless, motion controls were innovative and fun, and the Wii was something new and exciting for all ages. Though Nintendo lost some of their hardcore fans due to the gimmicky and broken controls (flicking your wrist to hit a home run, box, or dance), they still hit a grand slam in sales and paved the way for the Wii-U. The Wii-U however, takes the original Wii's formula for success and egotistically flushes it down the toilet.

So wait, the Wii-U is using the U-pad which has all the Wiimote functionality built in, alongside that the console will also still use Wii-motes as its multiplayer and optional device, the Wii-U pad will be the core, but I imagine many games will switch between the 2. so what are you talkijng about?

Sporting an obese, bulky, and undoubtedly heavy touchscreen controller as one of the major console selling points is as interesting as it is ambitious. It doesn't look cheap, probably isn't durable, and may be too heavy for a young child to play with for long. Aside from the issues of the controller itself, Nintendo has announced that there will only be one controller per console. No, the system doesn't come with just one controller—it only uses one controller (tablet). You're stuck with one Wii-U monster/sumo/levitation controller—and that's it. Period. How's that for family friendly?! On the bright side, Nintendo has announced that you'll be allowed to use the Nintendo 3DS as another controller (marketing at its finest), as well as the traditional nunchuk controllers but only one Wii-U controller can be used at a time. I guess your kids will finally learn to share—or your living room will transform into a UFC fight pit every time someone hits the power button.

How about you actually read up on the Wii-U controller? its actually light and nice to hold, as stated by pretty much all the previews from E3.

Though a very limited amount has been said about the Wii-U's motion control, I can't help but wonder how Nintendo plans on implementing it. I can't imagine Nintendo requiring you to lug that controller around or swing it like a tennis racket unless they actually want you to get the workout that the Wii-fit only promised? With motion controls being the central focus of the original Wii I'd imagine Nintendo wouldn't bypass incorporating it into the Wii-U—but with the way they're going I wouldn't be surprised.

Wii-U will probablyt focus more on Augemented Reality and movement as apposed to swining it around, like ive already said, Wii-Motes are still likely core to this system. Wii-U just fills the gap for the core gamers... and games that require a traditional control method, it caters to both. how can you miss this point?

When it comes to the Wii-U's affordability, Satoru Iwata, the president of Nintendo, said in a recent interview with Nikkei Business Daily that the Wii U would likely be priced at more than $250 (The original price of the Wii at launch). Nintendo has yet to announce an official price and probably for good reason considering their stock value dropped over 5% immediately following the announcement of the Wii-U at E3, dropped another 4% the following day, and the Wii-U doesn't look cheap at all. An expensive console, especially when the economy is still on the rebound, isn't a sound investment and is exactly the opposite game plan Nintendo had with the Wii. No wonder stock holders are pulling out in masses.

So 360/PS3 hardware would be expensive now? no. the Wii-U pad is likely the bulk of the addiotnal cost, but if they have stated that it will be the same starting price as the Wii then who are you to state otherwise? the Wii and the others are now 5-6 years old, thier hardware is dirt cheap. They are essentially doing what they did going rfom gamecube to Wii. and it worked.

On another note, Nintendo seems adamant to express their "Mature" 3rd party developer support in a bid to attract the attention of hardcore fans. Though the idea of broadening your fan base isn't a bad one, I do feel that Nintendo is going about it in the wrong direction with the way they're marketing the system. By heavily touting "mature" games, Nintendo is alienating the very fans that made the original Wii such a success. The Wii was bought by parents for younger children and marketing to the wrong geography will result in a decline of sales. The Wii, after all, was made famous by blogging moms—not game crazed teenagers.

You dont advertise to both at the same time, they already have the Wii Audiance interested, same branding, same wii-mote use, backwards compatibility, an Ipad like touch screen, all the same types of games + hardcore.

Your not making sense, or thinking it through, they spent like 4 E3's appealing to casuals, why should they show the same stuff? if they want the Core crowd back they need time to focus on advertising to us aswell. thats all they are doing, nothing has changed in the casual department, they allready have thier trust.

As for being innovative the only thing the Wii-U has going for it so far is a touchscreen built into the controller. Touchscreen technology isn't exactly new, hardly breakthrough, and is far better suited to handhelds and cellphones than a console based system.

Streaming your stationary console to anywhere playable in the house? (or outside) .... thats damn new. You say its far better suited when you have no experiance in this department, both tradiotional and new controls combined? many more possibilities... being abit narrowminded there arnt you?

Finally, the Wii-U will be graphically inferior to its competition. Now wait, wait, wait—I know that Nintendo has announced that the Wii-U will graphically be better than the Ps3 but only barely. My point, however, is we're quickly approaching the end of this generation of consoles and when Sony and Microsoft release their console sequels to the Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3—Nintendo will be behind—badly. Now I hesitate to bring this point up because it's not entirely critical. The Wii was the same way graphically but still managed to sell ridiculous amounts of units though their appeal was directed towards casual gamers. With the Wii-U, Nintendo is obsessed with bringing back their hardcore fans but are lacking the graphical appeal (compared to the upcoming generation), and can only hope to have a limited allure in the short timeframe they'll have before the next lineup of consoles are released.

Meanwhile both Sony and Microsoft have stated that its likely there will not be a huge leap in hardware on thier next machines. I can already see Microsoft turning Xbox into a Windows 8 compatible devices with even more focus on cross compatibility. meanwhile Sony are going to re-design the system all-round to make it more inline with market trends as apposed to just a traditional console with some online infastructure.

The Wii-U will be expensive, graphically outdated, lacking in appeal to hardcore gamers, and too far of a stretch for its already established family-oriented fan base. Nintendo is trying to be too much to too many people and the Wii-U will suffer from it. Stockholders are weary, fans are divided, and only a true fan-boy would have the nerve to outright support the Wii-U in its current state. While the Wii-U won't sink Nintendo, unless they get their priorities straight, a successful business plan finalized, and recognize who their fans and market are—it could spell the beginning of the end.

Already stated will be the same price as Wii so how is taht expensive? lacking appeal to hardcore gamers? again no proof, considering they have bragged that thier online will be more robust than the compeition, and the graphics are there, the core games are there. again. what?

Stockholders are weary in every situation when there is a gamble, why the hell should we care about stock holders? They are business people, not games designers.

-Saigo-

In all honesty you havnt been keeping up with this product have you?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#47 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
There are many potential reasons why the Wii U could fail. You listed none of them in the OP.
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#48 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

it will fail.....or at least be in last place

1. price will be too high

2.not many of the wii buyers will buy it

3. not many core gamerswill buy it, because most already have a ps3 or 360 and they can get the the cod, madden, and other big third party games on the system they already have.

4. mario still years away...

5. the controller is too big and the buttons are too tiny

6. what im guessing will be a high costing controller will scare away parents buying in fear of paying to get another..

7.ps4

8. next box

9.it dont have a wow factor, nothing shown yet has me wanting 1

10. after buying a wii nintendo has to earn my or others trust they qwe aint buying a gimmic again

monson21502
Pretty much this.
ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Streaming your stationary console to anywhere playable in the house? (or outside) .... thats damn new.

Birdy09

I haven't been paying much attention since e3 ended, but didn't they say the range would be fairly limited? I got the feeling it was more of a same (or MAYBE adjacent) room kind of thing, not anywhere in the house. Or outside. Also, it's not new. PS3 > PSP remote play. Granted, it doesn't work with all games, but it does allow you to turn your PS3 on and off remotely and stream gameplay from your PS3 to a handheld device anywhere else in the house. Or outside. Or across town. Or anywhere you have wifi access.

ianuilliam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ianuilliam
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

The Wii was a massive success because it did what no system had done since the original NES: It brought casual gamers to the table in masses and put the "family" back in the family room.

-Saigo-

Nowadays everybody wanna talk like they got something to say
But nothin comes out when they move their lips
Just a buncha gibberish
And gamers act like they forgot about Play (station 2)