Why isn't MS working on their own problems rather than chirping about Sony?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

https://m.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4x9849/the_xbox_one_ui_has_become_unacceptably_slow/

I have two friends that are also having this issue, even with new S models. It's rather awkward, as among my friends, I am also known as a notorious hater of the xbox but I've been cool about it.

It just strikes me as odd that MS seems to be calling out Sony a lot lately but they aren't necessarily tightening up things for their own customers. Like, why be the little dog calling out the big dog? How come the OS maker is getting completely outclassed by the hardware manufacturer in terms of UI performance and usability?

Edit: I present to you, Evidence B:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1280871

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Because the engineers working on their consoles are the same people tweeting, right?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Could have just posted this as a reply in my thread ya know? :P

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#4 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Probably because there are many like me who have absolutely no trouble with the UI. As for the MS chirping? Are you serious? Did Sony not take pot shots when they could? Please. Grow some skin

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shewgenja

@SecretPolice: If that was the only instance of MS talking about the ps4, then a case could be made that this is a response post. I didnt even see your thread til just now.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Because the engineers working on their consoles are the same people tweeting, right?

Exactly! This thread is just another example of folks not knowing how things actually work in the real world. The PR team wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to improve the UI.

DrRollinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrRollinstein
Member since 2016 • 1163 Posts

@Blabadon: Duh brah. There are obviously like 3 or 4 actual microsoft employees and they cover everything from repairs to CS to tweets to engineering.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:
@Blabadon said:

Exactly! This thread is just another example of folks not knowing how things actually work in the real world. The PR team wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to improve the UI.

This is a fanboy using a reddit thread which is anecdotal evidence. The whole UI thing is personal preference. If you don't like it, oh well. I can go to my feed on X1 and ask who has trouble with the UI and overwhelming response will be no trouble. This is such a non issue.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

When you make a video like this

Loading Video...

you must expect that the other company will fire back if you give them an opening. Sony gave them that opening the last couple weeks and MS took advantage of it. That's how competition works. You shout from the rooftops the advantages your product has over theirs.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#10 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Pretty pathetic thread that will probably be locked. Though I do concur that the Xbox UI could be faster.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Loading Video...

you must expect that the other company will fire back if you give them an opening. Sony gave them that opening the last couple weeks and MS took advantage of it. That's how competition works. You shout from the rooftops the advantages your product has over theirs.

The Irony in that video now? I wouldn't accept KZ SF is someone gave me it for free, and i'm a self confessed sony fanboy

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

Just a isolated incident. Nothing to see here but cows tilting at windmills.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shewgenja

@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shewgenja

@RedentSC said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Loading Video...

The Irony in that video now? I wouldn't accept KZ SF is someone gave me it for free, and i'm a self confessed sony fanboy

Here, I was thinking the irony of this is that people who call themselves "gamers" find fault with ownership of the games they buy. Maybe you guys are right. We need a hero like Microsoft.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SinjinSmythe
@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Grasping at straws.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shewgenja

@SinjinSmythe said:
@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Grasping at straws.

Getting a crummy OS on your console then saying that even people who are fans of the XBox are lying about their experience with it.

Yep, that's the XBox One experience alright.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SinjinSmythe

@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Or.........

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts
@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Reads like an internet issue more then a UI problem. I never had any issues with the UI. A UI connected to an online service will run crap if you internet runs shit. Gamers will blame the service. Never use an Internet IP DNS for xbox live, if you service drops the UI will be laggy.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shewgenja

@loe12k said:
@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Reads like an internet issue more then a UI problem. I never had any issues with the UI. A UI connected to an online service will run crap if you internet runs shit. Gamers will blame the service. Never use an Internet IP DNS for xbox live, if you service drops the UI will be laggy.

If your interface can be affected by your connection speed performance, then the problem is still your interface. It's not like other programs on other devices are stuttering when connected to the same network.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SinjinSmythe

@Shewgenja said:
@loe12k said:
@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

If your interface can be affected by your connection speed performance, then the problem is still your interface. It's not like other programs on other devices are stuttering when connected to the same network.

Tormentos? That you? Surely you read that and realized how insane it sounds.

When I get owned playing BF4 because of my shit 25 GB (up to) service, is it the games fault? Dice's fault? Microsoft's? No, it is mine.

Anyway..........

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

The Xbox One UI is so simple. You double tap the xbox button then everything you need pops up on a side bar. You can pin any game or app to the home screen. The UI is fine. I see saltgenga is still mad and upset that Sony has been shitting the bed. And with Forza Horizon 3 getting a 9.0 to add salt to the wound. I don't see him making threads crying when Sony attacked MS.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#23 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69467 Posts

This is new kind of whining. Obviously Microsoft is made up of one person because its impossible to believe that a company has departments and each department has responsibilities. But I don't expect TC to understand this due to the pain caused by Scorpio and the disappointing reveal of PS4Pro.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

From your link, the original post, my responses in bold..and I have an Xbox One S:

-Snapping things to the side is pretty much unusable. TV snapping stutters no matter what game I am playing. Twitch causes MCC to crash. Going from a snapped app to the main game is unreliable. It takes a few seconds for the main game to become responsive or it stays frozen altogether.

TV has never stuttered for me when snapped, ever. However, I have stopped using the TV in the HDMI in port because the quality of the picture is degraded. I have no issues going from snapped app to main game. I haven't used Twitch with MCC (I haven't played MCC in ages actually), so I can't comment.

-Party chat. We frequently have the audio drop out and say there is a network error. We start a new party and everything is fine again.

I have never had issues with party chat, though I rarely use it.

-Party Chat. I will randomly get switched to game chat and vice versa. Very confusing in the middle of a match.

I have never had issues with party chat, though I rarely use it.

-Headphones. On PS4, when you route game audio to the headset it automatically mutes the sound coming from tv/speakers. Do you really have to mute your tv/speakers manualy on xbox one?

No.

-Mic audio - is there not a way to adjust your own mic input to the console? One of our friend's mic is really quiet compared to everyone else. Does he have to buy that headset controller adapter to get that functionality?

No.

-Headset audio dropouts. Game audio will randomly dropout, leaving only chat audio. Sometimes, the reverse happens. Sometimes both drop out. The fix is to remove headset from controller and plug it back in.

I haven't had this problem at all.

-Disk drive - while installing Halo 5, my friends disk drive was making a loud noise. His recording sounded like a washing machine.

I don't have any games on disk other than Battlefield 4 (I only have that on disk because I wanted more gifts for my son to unwrap under the Christmas tree when it came out). So the only game I have installed via disk is BF4, and the disk drive was quiet (assuming it was downloading from the internet anyway).

-User Interface. This is the one I'm most dissapointed about. I expected Microsoft's prowess with software to be refreshing coming from the PS4, but it's extremely lacking IMHO. The UI is cluttered and extremely laggy at times. Button presses take seconds to register. Menu options can be all over the place.

I don't find the UI cluttered at all, never have any issues with button presses registering. However, the UI itself I do find slow or laggy at times compared to the PS4 UI.

-When installing Halo 5, the intall process froze multiple times for all of us and required us to pause/unpause the install to get it working again.

I can't comment on this as my games are digital, but the games on disk are actually just downloaded from the internet as a digital game anyway if I am not mistaken. Halo 5 downloaded/installed for me without a single issue.

-I couldn't get my xbox one to change my tv channels. I thought this was a feature. Maybe this is my fault, but I thought it shouldn't be that hard.

It was easy for me, when I was using it. But it's just not worth watching TV through the Xbox One due to the loss of quality.

HALO: MCC:

-Lots of freezes on startup. The microsoft studios logo will freeze everytime I startup. Sometimes the entire game freezes.

-After multiplayer games, it kicks you out instead of searching for another game.

Never play this anymore, so no clue.

HALO 5:

-When launching halo 5. It crashes on the splash screen back to the xbox home screen sometimes, requiring restart.

Never had that happen.

-Forge file browser. This is not showing as available for 2 of us. The third accesses it just fine. Mine was working one day and not the next.

Works flawlessly for me and friends.

-Halo reqs. Anytime one of my friends accessed his req's during warzone, the system says something like "Retrieving data", He was also never able to look at the previous game's scoreboard while waiting in the lobby.

Not a req user, so I have no experience with this.

-Forge maps. There are alot of maps that have moving parts of the level. These will stop moving completely in all parts of the map for many minutes at a time. This made maps unplayable.

Never had this issue, nor have my friends.

-The game's graphics are disapointing. Is multiplayer 1080p? It looks low res at times with lots of aliasing and shimmering. On some maps, the environment textures lack any detail at all.

Game looks amazing, and that is backed up by multiple websites that have reviewed the game. One of the best looking games this gen actually on consoles.

-Random disconnects during multiplayer

Never an issue here.

-"Can't reserve dedicated server" errors when starting games

Never an issue here.

Sounds like this guy has some pretty shitty internet.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12062 Posts

Can we get a Safe Space in SW for Cows like MooGenja?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shewgenja

@kuu2 said:

Can we get a Safe Space in SW for Cows like MooGenja?

I think you guys need a safe space from me. Breaking truth all up in here in your den of lies.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Because they are trying any tactic to slow the upcoming shopping frenzy for the PS4Pro that releases THIS YEAR.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-583e460ca986b
@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Did you read the thread? The dude is having network/router problems. Once he opened his NAT the majority of his problems went away. The Xbox One OS is slow and clunky at times, but the majority of his issues were his doing...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shewgenja

@GoldenElementXL said:
@Shewgenja said:
@SinjinSmythe said:

So very, isolated...

Did you read the thread? The dude is having network/router problems. Once he opened his NAT the majority of his problems went away. The Xbox One OS is slow and clunky at times, but the majority of his issues were his doing...

There were plenty of people other than the OP that were having issues. It's also hilarious that people automatically blame the network while every other device attached to it does not experience the same issues. For those users where the NAT type is an issue, MS should be integrating a feature that lets people know rather than suffer.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

Well SONY is current gen 8 console leader, so instead of chasing Wii's pot of gold like last gen, they are chasing SONY's pot of gold this one.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

UI problem? Not on my end.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Me have no issues and I'm always snapping... Snap on, Snap off. The Snapper. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@Shewgenja said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

There were plenty of people other than the OP that were having issues. It's also hilarious that people automatically blame the network while every other device attached to it does not experience the same issues. For those users where the NAT type is an issue, MS should be integrating a feature that lets people know rather than suffer.

But it was the network... Opening his NAT fixed crashes, game disconnects, party chat issues, download failures, etc. Yes the OS is still slow and snapping sucks, but I doubt he would have made a thread if his NAT type was open.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shewgenja

@GoldenElementXL said:
@Shewgenja said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

But it was the network... Opening his NAT fixed crashes, game disconnects, party chat issues, download failures, etc. Yes the OS is still slow and snapping sucks, but I doubt he would have made a thread if his NAT type was open.

So, you admit that there are issues with the XBox interface beyond the network issues. I won't do the usual Shewgenja thing here. I applaud your honesty. It's all I ask.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

It is a long tradition of aggressive hyper competitive corporate culture which originated from Bill Gates himself. Read through the Halloween Documents, "Get the Facts" campaign, SCO vs IBM clusterfuck, and the USDOJ vs MS case for examples.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SinjinSmythe

Well, I guess we will have to chalk this up as another failed MooJenga thread. Moving on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@Shewgenja: I said there were other issues with features and OS in the first post of our interaction. My point was the OPs major issues in that NeoGaf thread were solved by opening his NAT settings.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Sony was running their mouth and taking shots at MS this whole gen and now when MS has some momentum and people are actually talking about them and excited about their future, you want them to not say anything about Sony's missteps, LOL. C'mon Son, live in the real world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

So 2 people have problems with their UI, and suddenly it's the whole world? While multiple Xbox One owners are saying they don't have any issues... Classic grasping at straws from @Shewgenja

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

I've had an Xbox One since Titanfall dropped. I liked the old UI and I like the current UI. I've had no problems or issues snapping anything and I regularly watch football on Sunday's while playing games and switch between the 2. Cortana is a great addition and responds better than the old voice commands.

Only issue I don't like with Xbox One is installing games, it can be tedious whether from disk or downloading.

I don't know how well Xbox One S does all the features OG Xbox One did so there could be some flaws or issues. The links you provided just sound like fanboys being fanboys and wanting to expose issues that aren't really issues and are there personal preference or user error. As I can adjust the volume for my headset, voice chat, ect...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

You know its a bad month for PS4 when Showjenga damage controls.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#42 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

Its a PR battle. Marketing and PR is doing their job while the techs and engineers do theirs. You do know they are different departments right?

Also, its funny you werent saying this when Sony was droning on and on about how PS4 is moar powerful and every game runs in 1080p, or when they were talking Twitter shots at MS for laying people off when Fable Legends shut down.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

LOL moogenja on the defensive.

Microsoft must be doing something right...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@RR360DD said:

LOL who's moogenja?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shewgenja

@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@RR360DD said:

LOL who's moogenja?

It's the 23%'s nickname for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@Shewgenja said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@RR360DD said:

LOL who's moogenja?

It's the 23%'s nickname for me.

Well I don't get it and I'm sure it's not for me to get lol. Proceed.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

I haven't had any issues with the UI for my xbox one. quit trying to make this out to be a problem on a massive scale.

When sony took shots at microsoft for their fuckups you weren't defending microsoft by nitpicking problems with the PS4.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

blabadon nails it in the first reply.