Why do you prefer PC or Console Gaming?

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#151 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@bforrester420 said:

1. I don't play games online, so no subscription for me. What if you want an extra controller to play with friends on PC? You have to pay for that, too. Just like with PC, if you have patience, you can get games for far cheaper on console than their new release price. Plus you can buy used and trade discs with your friends. Also, you cannot buy many games on Steam, such as EA games. Also, if you wait a couple of years, you won't be paying $400 for a PS4....you'll get them for cheaper and you always have bundles that come with games or extra controllers for the same cost as the console itself. PC gamers act as if you only get deals on PC games/peripherals/hardware. I'll wager than you did not get Witcher and Far Cry for that cheap right after they released. You got those a few years after their retail release.

2. Reliable as in you don't run into near the amount of software version conflicts on Console that you do PC. Fallout New Vegas still crashes all of the time on my PC.

3. Day 1 patches are automatic updates. You don't have to know squat about installing them. On consoles, you never have to worry about your operating system losing support, your Direct X version becoming obsolete with newer versions being incompatible with your hardware. You also never have to look at a game and determine, yeah, my RAM and GPU will not run that game.

Believe me, I enjoy both console and PC, but PC gaming has far more roadblocks and headaches than console, unless you're willing to spend the time and money on a PC. Frankly, I have hobbies that I enjoy more than gaming, and they're equally as expensive and time consuming.

Real money saving? OFFLINE SYSTEM!!

I know loads of people that play offline all games that they paid 1/2 price each from same Steam/Origin account...

Can 3 console gamers play offline a game that they paid 1/3 price? Nope? They must buy 3 games. On pc 1 game will do.

I play single-player (console or PC) almost exclusively. The only multiplayer games I'll play are sports titles (FIFA, mostly). I know, like, one other person that games on PC.

U didnt get what i said?

On consoles 3 people will pay $180 for an offline game

On PC its $20.

Simple real as a heart attack FACT!

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

My power supply died on my PC so I'm a little bitter right now. I have never had a power supply go bad on a console........

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#153  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44574 Posts

I did both for years growing up, mostly console gaming up until early 90s when I started playing PC games like Doom and Wolfenstein, and kept playing both consoles and PC games up until I went off to college years later, where i didn't take my systems with me and instead just PC gamed, mostly Counter-Strike for a while until Xbox released, then I was a partial PC partial Xbox player again. Then I kind of gave up on gaming while I focused on school but mostly stuck with PC. It wasn't until I got done and got a job that I got back into gaming big, since I had a disposable income, I from that point was mostly focused on consoles, especially after my gaming PC died, but I was fine gaming on the console side, once I got an Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii I never looked back. Still PC game mostly for games that'll run like the older titles they sell on GOG, but not breaking the bank to upgrade to a modern gaming PC, not now anyways. If this truly is the gen console gaming dies I might make the transition in a few years, but until that day, consoles still offer me a great deal of fun. I like the no fuss needing to upgrade, the ease of use, not needing to troubleshoot over performance issues.

I'm not going to say the way I see it is the way other people need to, that's just my preference. Sure, if I take the money I've spent in the last couple years on my 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One, and all the games, surely I could have built a nice gaming PC, taken great advantage of steam sales, and be playing the best versions of many of them. But, I'd also be out those 3DS and Wii U exclusives I've come to love. And I won't be able to play some great games that'll be on Xbox One and PS4 that won't be on PC right away. But, PC gaming has the upside in that there are games on it that aren't on the others, for that I look forward to one day getting a new gaming PC.

Still, I pretty much have my hands tied as it is with all the consoles and amount of content.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#154  Edited By True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

My power supply died on my PC so I'm a little bitter right now. I have never had a power supply go bad on a console........

What happens if your power supply die on a console outside of warranty?

You throw console away?

How funny eh?

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#155 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

@bforrester420 said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@bforrester420 said:

1. I don't play games online, so no subscription for me. What if you want an extra controller to play with friends on PC? You have to pay for that, too. Just like with PC, if you have patience, you can get games for far cheaper on console than their new release price. Plus you can buy used and trade discs with your friends. Also, you cannot buy many games on Steam, such as EA games. Also, if you wait a couple of years, you won't be paying $400 for a PS4....you'll get them for cheaper and you always have bundles that come with games or extra controllers for the same cost as the console itself. PC gamers act as if you only get deals on PC games/peripherals/hardware. I'll wager than you did not get Witcher and Far Cry for that cheap right after they released. You got those a few years after their retail release.

2. Reliable as in you don't run into near the amount of software version conflicts on Console that you do PC. Fallout New Vegas still crashes all of the time on my PC.

3. Day 1 patches are automatic updates. You don't have to know squat about installing them. On consoles, you never have to worry about your operating system losing support, your Direct X version becoming obsolete with newer versions being incompatible with your hardware. You also never have to look at a game and determine, yeah, my RAM and GPU will not run that game.

Believe me, I enjoy both console and PC, but PC gaming has far more roadblocks and headaches than console, unless you're willing to spend the time and money on a PC. Frankly, I have hobbies that I enjoy more than gaming, and they're equally as expensive and time consuming.

Real money saving? OFFLINE SYSTEM!!

I know loads of people that play offline all games that they paid 1/2 price each from same Steam/Origin account...

Can 3 console gamers play offline a game that they paid 1/3 price? Nope? They must buy 3 games. On pc 1 game will do.

I play single-player (console or PC) almost exclusively. The only multiplayer games I'll play are sports titles (FIFA, mostly). I know, like, one other person that games on PC.

U didnt get what i said?

On consoles 3 people will pay $180 for an offline game

On PC its $20.

Simple real as a heart attack FACT!

You barely constructed a coherent sentence in your post...of course I didn't get what you said.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

You throw console away?

How funny eh?

Case by case but I'd more likely lead to a new console free of charge, or a small shipping fee. Consoles are manufactured by a sole company and would sooner send out a free console than have "fire hazard" scarred to their product.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Heirren said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

You throw console away?

How funny eh?

Case by case but I'd more likely lead to a new console free of charge, or a small shipping fee. Consoles are manufactured by a sole company and would sooner send out a free console than have "fire hazard" scarred to their product.

What? consoles only have a 1 year warranty and if ANYTHING in the console dies you usually have to shell out over $100 for a fix. PC components usually have 3-5 year warranties and if the PSU died you could replace it for less than $100 anyway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Couth_ said:

@Heirren said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

You throw console away?

How funny eh?

What? consoles only have a 1 year warranty and if ANYTHING in the console dies you usually have to shell out over $100 for a fix. PC components usually have 3-5 year warranties and if the PSU died you could replace it for less than $100 anyway

Well I can honestly say I have no idea how much something like that would cost to fix since I know of nobody with a psu issue on any console i've ever followed. I stand by what I said, though. Consoles have a customer service line for a reason. That is part of the bonus of buying a product of such. Any potential fire hazards would most likely be free repairs.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Heirren said:

@Couth_ said:

Well I can honestly say I have no idea how much something like that would cost to fix since I know of nobody with a psu issue on any console i've ever followed. I stand by what I said, though. Consoles have a customer service line for a reason. That is part of the bonus of buying a product of such. Any potential fire hazards would most likely be free repairs.

A dead power supply isn't a fire hazard. It's a dead component. And you never know what goes wrong in a console. You just see an LED indicating a failure or it simply doesn't turn on. Plenty of consoles have failing power supplies and other failing components. And yeah they have customer service, so does the manufacturer of all your PC components

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Couth_:

Well then you troubleshoot the problem and fix it.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#161 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

I started with consoles (and occasionally played PC) from the SNES era all the way to the PS2 era, However consoles since last gen have become an absolute joke, they are overpriced, they get outdated so easily because developers keep trying to push for graphical performance and have sacrificed so much fps that it has become unbearable to watch (Look at Assassins Creed, and Red Dead Redemption for example) and they continue to push for graphics even during this gen, and not to mention all the DLC and pre-order schmuck.

Now I prefer PC because not only has it become more streamlined to build and manage but I can upgrade my hardware and get the visual and performance that I want, not to mention games are not only cheaper but they come with the complete content, look and play better and mods, sure I have to wait for the games to first come out way after consoles like GTA5 or Valkyria Chronicles but that is a very small price to pay, for one PCs are backwards compatible (and I mean 100% backwards compatible, there are no last or pre-last gen games that I can't play on PC) so I have an almost infinte library of games at my disposal to keep me busy while I wait, and you can play those game that you already own on HD (while stupid idiot console gamers pay almost full price for an HD remaster version of those games on their "next gen" consoles), overall the PC is the better investment, the initial cost is higher (again it depends on what you build in the system, its possible to build PCs that outperform the current gen consoles for the same price if you scrap around hard enough) but in the long run PCs are much cheaper and have better value for the money.

Honestly the only console thats worth owning is a WiiU, nintendo may not have all the 3rd party support but their exclusives however are of higher quality, they play at 1080p and 60fps and the devs make the games for the given hardware, unlike sony and MS who try so hard to be like PCs and fail at it miserably, that and they rip-off players from whichever direction they possibly could, at this point you would have to be a complete sucker to buy a PS4 or X1 (that or you are a snobby kid who doesn't care about how he/she spends his/her money which is quite frankly a far better excuse than the fanboys that like to believe the PS4 and X1 are worth owning) I suppose you could argue for their exlcusives but well..lol..The Order and Knack? yeah DEFINITELY worth the $400 for a 30fps machine lol, as for the X1 "exclusives" they wind up being ported to the PC sooner or later (hint hint Rise of the Tomb Raider) so why bother getting it? because of Halo? yeah, 1 franchise is DEFINITELY worth spending $400+ for a 900p and 30fps machine, again, LOL.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I was pretty much a console gamer from the mid 90's with my Sega Megadrive... I got into PC gaming around 2002 with a pre-built system that had a MX440. I still gamed on consoles more than my PC thanks to the great library of games on the PS1, PS2 and NGC.

It wasn't until I built my own PC with a AMD X2 4400+ and a POV 7600 GT that I almost completely stopped playing on console, I fell in love with 60FPS.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

I've been straddling the PC/console line since around 2008. Up until then I was all about the consoles, then it became an even balance, but over the past couple of years I've become locked to the PC.

Why? More games, there is never a drought. Actually, this is my biggest issue with the platform, too many games and not enough time. Much more variety in games as well. Having the best graphics and performance on multiplats doesn't hurt either. Then the Steam sales. The choice of input. I even find PC more convenient which is funny as that's always been a console argument. I always hate turning on a console these days and waiting for lengthy updates and patches, by the time I'm ready to game I don't even feel like it anymore. I never deal with this on PC. And if for some reason something does go wrong on PC, I can fix it, I'm not at the whim of some corporation to come save the day. Also the mods, I don't use them often, but it's nice when I do.

Without exclusives I would never touch a console again.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I've always been both as far back as i can remember starting with a Commodore 64, Spectrum 28K, then went on to Amiga 500/600 etc..Built my first gaming PC in the mid 90's with a ATI Rage 128 GPU and a Pentium CPU. I've also owned most major consoles since the Atari 2600 but not the 3D0, CDI, Jaguar and Saturn.

That said i used to prefer console gaming, it was much easier in the 90's than PC gaming back then you really had to work to get some games working and alot of the time they just wouldn't, nowadays PC gaming is ridiculously easy and imo is by far the best single platform for gaming with better potential performance, cheaper games, free online, bigger communities and modding communities and it's home to one of my favourite genres, the MMO.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#165 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@True_Gamer_ said:

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Console easily. It has the most gamers and popular for a reason.

-better games and genres

That you like? That YOU like? Yeah YOU.

-exponentially cheaper for almost same performance/gfx

Thats why poor people in poor countries wont touch consoles with a 100 yard stick? Yet rich spoiled kiddos love consoles?

Plus LOL Xbone vs $400 PC...PC wins.

-way more AAA and big budget titles

AAA? Name me one PS4/Xbone exclusive thats AAA here on GS?

-GOTYs and other awards

PS4/Xbone awards? Xbox360 exclusive game thats won an award ever here on GS?

-mainstream

Like him?

Bolded stuff

so true, but some lads here refuse to see the truth

vtoshkatur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 vtoshkatur
Member since 2011 • 1962 Posts

I really enjoy both but honestly I haven't owned a console in about 10 years. I do prefer PC gaming but that's just personal preference.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#167  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

PC. Cheaper in the long term. Seeing that video games cost around $70 in Canada, i'd much rather wait for Steam sales (Will make exceptions to the no pre-order rule with Lightning Returns)

Mike_K_2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Mike_K_2003
Member since 2003 • 569 Posts

Affordability, ease of use and selection of games for me. I don't have the money to invest in a PC that would allow me to game issue free for the next 5-7 years as my PS4 will. Consoles systems also have a better selection of games for me. Sometimes the PC doesn't even gets some of the games I love to play.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

@darklight4 said:

I game on both. I hate missing out on good games because of some stupid loyalty to a platform or company.

It's not about PC vs Consoles. It's about, what you like on each platform that you prefer to play on. If you play everything then what you like about them?

What I like about pc is it's an open platform, mods but mainly the exclusives like total war for example. As for consoles I have always had them in my life. They also have exclusives I like. Also I think consoles being cheaper attracts some people. Pcs for first time buyers can be expensive, once you get over that hurdle it's smooth sailing afterwards but that hurdle can be too high for some.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Control and options. The #1 reason I game on pc only.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17661 Posts

Console:

• I like to have my games physical, and I like CEs (Arkham Knight Batmobile). PC has gone pretty much all digital at this point.
  • I like to be able to stick the game in and know that it works without me having to go into .ini files and make tweaks, DL drivers, or any other hassle.
  • I like to play on a big screen kicking back on my couch. Yes, I know I can hook up my PC to my TV, but I've tried it and can't get it to work right (whole screen doesn't appear, it's cut off, aspect ration problems I can't seem to fix).

I believe PC to be an objectively better platform to play on tech/option wise, but there's too many unknowns for me to find it preferable over consoles. And I don't find the benefits of a PC (resolution, framerate, mods, etc) to outweigh the negatives.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#172 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Dark_sageX said:

I started with consoles (and occasionally played PC) from the SNES era all the way to the PS2 era, However consoles since last gen have become an absolute joke, they are overpriced, they get outdated so easily because developers keep trying to push for graphical performance and have sacrificed so much fps that it has become unbearable to watch (Look at Assassins Creed, and Red Dead Redemption for example) and they continue to push for graphics even during this gen, and not to mention all the DLC and pre-order schmuck.

Now I prefer PC because not only has it become more streamlined to build and manage but I can upgrade my hardware and get the visual and performance that I want, not to mention games are not only cheaper but they come with the complete content, look and play better and mods, sure I have to wait for the games to first come out way after consoles like GTA5 or Valkyria Chronicles but that is a very small price to pay, for one PCs are backwards compatible (and I mean 100% backwards compatible, there are no last or pre-last gen games that I can't play on PC) so I have an almost infinte library of games at my disposal to keep me busy while I wait, and you can play those game that you already own on HD (while stupid idiot console gamers pay almost full price for an HD remaster version of those games on their "next gen" consoles), overall the PC is the better investment, the initial cost is higher (again it depends on what you build in the system, its possible to build PCs that outperform the current gen consoles for the same price if you scrap around hard enough) but in the long run PCs are much cheaper and have better value for the money.

Honestly the only console thats worth owning is a WiiU, nintendo may not have all the 3rd party support but their exclusives however are of higher quality, they play at 1080p and 60fps and the devs make the games for the given hardware, unlike sony and MS who try so hard to be like PCs and fail at it miserably, that and they rip-off players from whichever direction they possibly could, at this point you would have to be a complete sucker to buy a PS4 or X1 (that or you are a snobby kid who doesn't care about how he/she spends his/her money which is quite frankly a far better excuse than the fanboys that like to believe the PS4 and X1 are worth owning) I suppose you could argue for their exlcusives but well..lol..The Order and Knack? yeah DEFINITELY worth the $400 for a 30fps machine lol, as for the X1 "exclusives" they wind up being ported to the PC sooner or later (hint hint Rise of the Tomb Raider) so why bother getting it? because of Halo? yeah, 1 franchise is DEFINITELY worth spending $400+ for a 900p and 30fps machine, again, LOL.

Nedula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 Nedula
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I'm currently wondering what I like best. Recent history would be mostly PC but flipping back and forth. I've always owned both.

However after working a full day at a computer I'm feeling like I have less desire to sit at my pc in the evenings as well if I want to game so I think I'm leaning towards console at this time. Just more casual/comfortable gaming conditions.

I'm not getting into what system is technically better as that is hands down PC but again personally and with my day-to-day life console is it.

Also helps my friends are in a similar boat

Avatar image for superfluousreal
SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 SuperfluousReal
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

Both are excellent for my entertainment uses.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#175 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

@nedula: do not bump old threads

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points