Why do you prefer PC or Console Gaming?

• 175 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

I started gaming in 90s on consoles. Already had Atari console then bought Nintendo, Sega and Playstation Consoles. In 2000, I got a proper gaming PC along with my consoles (Had PC for work before that and used to play on it sometime but wasn't a gaming PC). Even though I had a gaming PC, I always preferred console style games more. I used to like Gears of War, Modern Warfare, god of War, Uncharted 2 more than STALKER, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War 2, Total War etc.

Things changed in 2010 when I got tired of same old formulas and games that were trying hard to be movie like. Seemed like, every game is trying to be cinematic with same gameplay mechanics. I also noticed that console games lost their uniqueness that they had back in PS2 days. Games were becoming boring and easier for me, so I decided to try something different and went back to PC classics from 90s and also started to play newer titles like Starcraft 2, Total War, Dawn of War, STALKER etc. I started to prefer those games now.

Used to prefer this:

Now this:

For some reason, I can't go back to type of games that consoles offer these days (cinematic, set piece heavy, cover based etc), may be because I got older or those games lack depth in gameplay department. So, apart from superior multiplats and cheaper games, the other major factor for me to become primarily a PC gamer was the style of games that the platform offers.

Of course consoles have great titles and I am talking about preference here. There are a lot gamers who prefer Consoles and they have their own reasons to do so (same goes for PC users). I myself, liked Console games for their simplicity and fun (split screen as well as solo). Now I want to hear from you guys. What platform do you prefer to game on mostly and why?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I started on consoles then I moved PC. Never looked back.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Always played a bit of both. In the late 90's-early 2000's my N64 was a bit dated so I gamed on PC more often. Diablo, Asheron's Call, Half-Life and a couple of emulator. Still played PS2 at my friend's house a fair bit. I only owned a 6th gen console(Xbox and Gamecube) towards the end of their lifespan (2005-2006) so I played the entire 6th gen on PC until 2008 when I bought a 360. Only gamed on consoles until 2012 when I upgraded my PC and haven't played on consoles since.

Back then there were reasons to own consoles and PC as both had great exclusives and unique advantages/disadvantages. Now 90% of the best games are multiplatform that simply run better on PC. Consoles used to be easier to deal with but not any more with frequent patches, broken releases and the like. Consoles also had more unique architecture that separated them from PC(4 player N64, rumble pack, better controllers, games working 100% of the time with little bug or issues), this is of course no longer the case.

With everything taken into account, I find very little incentives to own consoles these days. They're simply underpowered PC's with exclusives that simply don't interest me much any more. Console and PC gaming has merged and PC simply does a better job at gaming for me.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I prefer PC and the answer is: games.

of course, bette graphics, more choice in controls and options, mods, backward compatibility..all of that is great advantage. But in the end it boils down to games. The games I like are mostly PC-only or vastly better on PC. This gen PS4 has like two games I would like to play so far, while XO has one. And even those I'm not exactly dying to play. Meanwhile each month since the gen started there were multiple must buy PC titles for me. And that's not even counting the fact that I try to make 30% of the games I play be oldies, and I cheerfully shuffle quarter century of awesome pcgames.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I game on both so w/e, if I feel like playing on PC I'll do that for awhile and vice versa on consoles.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@AdrianWerner Don't know if you'll agree with me but I think we had much better games back then exclusive to PC. Half-Life/2, F.E.A.R., System Shock/2, AoE, Diablo/II, Everquest, COD, Battlefield 1942, Morrowind, Far Cry, Crysis, Painkiller. I know a few of those I named were later ported but that's the whole point, they were originally built for PC and consoles got the lesser version. Nowadays we hardly see games taking full advantage of the PC. They're mostly made to be multiplatform and I can't help but feel many former great PC exclusives have been ''consolized''(god I hate this term). Crysis 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 4...all these games feel like they've been held back by consoles as they are now the primary source of profits. No use in developing for PC's when 1% of the community has the hardware capable of handling the latest tech.

I've come to accept PC games are mostly reject of consoles but they still play and look a lot better but I don't find many games I truly feel are made for PC. The ARMA series and the Witcher II are the most recent games I can think of.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Obviously vita is the best!

Jk

I do most of my gaming on PC, i play a lot of FPS games

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@AdrianWerner Don't know if you'll agree with me but I think we had much better games back then exclusive to PC. Half-Life/2, F.E.A.R., System Shock/2, AoE, Diablo/II, Everquest, COD, Battlefield 1942, Morrowind, Far Cry, Crysis, Painkiller. I know a few of those I named were later ported but that's the whole point, they were originally built for PC and consoles got the lesser version.

I don't agre actually :). Most of those are from 200-2005 era, which to me was dark times for PC games. Yes, we got plenty of big budgeted exclusive FPSes and RTS-es, but they were so big they killed everything else. This was an era where almost every cRPG, adventure, TBS, racing, space-sim and simulation company died. Nowadays we rarely get exclusive FPS-es. But we've seen ressurection of the genres that dominted PC gaming in 80s and first half of 90s.

Today we're swimming in adventure games, turn-based strategies, city builders, 4X, wargames, cRPGs and roguelikes. Space sims are in the middle of a come back, and simulators are also on upswing. And majority of games from those genres are PC exclusives or at most are designed specifically for PCs and only later ported. I wouldn't trade all that just to get couple exclusive big budgeted FPS each year.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I prefer the PC because I like having everything in one place.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Is why I prefer PC.

PS: The crew lived.

Seeing them returning back to earth unscathed and well is more rewarding than seeing their ships fly... and never come back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Had atleat one console and a PC for as long as I remember.

Generally I prefer the PC, it simply functions better for the wider range of genres, and can be customized to me personally both hardware and software wise.

But there are certain genres I will not really play on PC, namely: character action games, fighters, platformers and the obligatory kart game.

However! My favorite genre is RPG, and they by default Work better on PC, due to input.

Runner ups are FPS games, RTS games, Simulations, Survival Horror

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I don't prefer one over the other.

B/c I like playing games....not PC games....or console games.

Just games.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

PC because of the huge selection of games and the freedom it offers. I have never gotten bored of PC gaming, there is always something different to play or something to do. Iv always preferred the computer over consoles, I enjoyed my Amiga more than the 16bit consoles and my IBM Aptiva more than the 32bit consoles. The difference between then and now though is that I really enjoyed the consoles as well for what they had to offer, but now ...they have nothing to offer me.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I prefer PC the last 12-15 years because of its competitive nature and unique library plus everything else.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I've been gaming on both since the beginning, so I don't have much of a preference except for certain genres like FPS, which I can't stand playing with a gamepad.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

@AdrianWerner Don't know if you'll agree with me but I think we had much better games back then exclusive to PC. Half-Life/2, F.E.A.R., System Shock/2, AoE, Diablo/II, Everquest, COD, Battlefield 1942, Morrowind, Far Cry, Crysis, Painkiller. I know a few of those I named were later ported but that's the whole point, they were originally built for PC and consoles got the lesser version. Nowadays we hardly see games taking full advantage of the PC. They're mostly made to be multiplatform and I can't help but feel many former great PC exclusives have been ''consolized''(god I hate this term). Crysis 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 4...all these games feel like they've been held back by consoles as they are now the primary source of profits. No use in developing for PC's when 1% of the community has the hardware capable of handling the latest tech.

I've come to accept PC games are mostly reject of consoles but they still play and look a lot better but I don't find many games I truly feel are made for PC. The ARMA series and the Witcher II are the most recent games I can think of.

Those games sold better on the PC and still do particular skyrim

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Consoles:

Better MP community (less cheaters, less weirdos, more nice people)

Reliability

Convenience

Cheaper

Rentals, reselling games

Standardized controllers for MP

Using a m/kb may be more precise, but it certainly isn't more fun or immersive

Couch co-op games

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

I go back to consoles every now and then

Me want ace combat to like be an ace combat game

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NewWellofGabe
Member since 2015 • 113 Posts

PC because:

More games

Cheaper games

Ability to mod games

Steam sales

Upgrading hardware

Free online multiplayer

Better graphics

Better performance

Keyboard+mouse

Not just confined to KB+M, can use controller if you want

Backwards compatibility

Emulators

PC gaming as a whole is much cheaper than console gaming

PC's have far more uses than consoles

Many free games

And many more reasons.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@AdrianWerner said:

I prefer PC and the answer is: games.

of course, bette graphics, more choice in controls and options, mods, backward compatibility..all of that is great advantage. But in the end it boils down to games. The games I like are mostly PC-only or vastly better on PC. This gen PS4 has like two games I would like to play so far, while XO has one. And even those I'm not exactly dying to play. Meanwhile each month since the gen started there were multiple must buy PC titles for me. And that's not even counting the fact that I try to make 30% of the games I play be oldies, and I cheerfully shuffle quarter century of awesome pcgames.

Same here. However, in my case I really want to play Quantum Break on Xbox One.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I'll admit PC gaming is flat out better, but after purchasing a XB1 its nice to know I won't have to upgrade it in a year or two. That's the only advantage I see for consoles. I prefer PC gaming, but I may revert back to mostly console because I'm lazy like that.

Not to mention the memories I have with console gaming. My first console was a NES, followed by a Genesis, PS1, PS2, 360, PS3. I started playing on PC somewhere towards the end of last gen. It's been great, but I feel like the magic is missing I had on console.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

I prefer both.. what did I win?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I started out on arcades followed by consoles, and then computers (Commodore Amiga, PC).

Back then, the main draw of playing games on the PC was flight sims, strategy/wargames, dungeon crawler RPGs, golf games, and adventure games. There were no FPS and RTS games yet. The Amiga had all the genres of the PC plus a bunch of platformers similar to that on the consoles. The Amiga had the best of both worlds.

Around the time Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe showed up in 1991, I started drifting more toward the PC. The following year, the triple PC whammies: Aces of the Pacific, Wolfenstein 3D, and Dune II sealed the deal for me. That same year, I assembled my first DIY PC and started moving away from the Amiga.

I always liked the flexibility of the PC. However, the graphics portion have been improving on consoles. I wouldn't mind shifting more of my gaming to the 8th gen consoles if they have proper keyboard and mouse support (mainly for FPS games). If that happened, I would shift half of my gaming to consoles. But, it hadn't happened yet.

So....... PC it is still.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

I game on both so w/e, if I feel like playing on PC I'll do that for awhile and vice versa on consoles.

Same for me.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I started gaming on both and have become incredibly displeased that console gaming has essentially lost it's identity to become a gimped, closed-platform PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Both last gen.. Now? I honestly do not like any of the consoles in the market place, and really only find the 3ds the only thing desirable compared to PC.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I started on consoles, went to PC for a few years (which was awesome I admit) but eventually came back to consoles... Don't get me wrong, I think PC gaming can be really awesome, but at this stage in my life I just like the simplicity of consoles. Sure the graphics are weaker & we don't have as big of a selection of games etc, but I just love putting a disc in and playing, and not having to worry about settings and poorly optimized PC ports etc. Plus for me, console gaming is cheaper.

And I love just being able to relax on my bed and playing instead of sitting a desk for hours.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#32 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: started on pc, went back to consoles. Now i am a console peasant

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

First game I ever played was Wolfenstein 3D. Really started gaming when I was given a N64 for Valnetine's day.

My preferred system is the Xbox

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I started on consoles, went to PC for a few years (which was awesome I admit) but eventually came back to consoles... Don't get me wrong, I think PC gaming can be really awesome, but at this stage in my life I just like the simplicity of consoles. Sure the graphics are weaker & we don't have as big of a selection of games etc, but I just love putting a disc in and playing, and not having to worry about settings and poorly optimized PC ports etc.

And I love just being able to relax on my bed and playing instead of sitting a desk for hours.

I hate to put in disks...

I just enjoy of NOT swapping disks...

And enjoy NOT using the desk due to Big Picture mode.

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

Console easily. It has the most gamers and popular for a reason.

-better games and genres

-exponentially cheaper for almost same performance/gfx

-way more AAA and big budget titles

-GOTYs and other awards

-mainstream

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I prefer console gaming due to the fact I rarely have to troubleshoot the darn thing and not have to worry about requirements. PC defiantly has it's advantages but I just prefer the consoles.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By True_Gamer_

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

-better games and genres

That you like? That YOU like? Yeah YOU.

Thats why poor people in poor countries wont touch consoles with a 100 yard stick? Yet rich spoiled kiddos love consoles?

Plus LOL Xbone vs $400 PC...PC wins.

AAA? Name me one PS4/Xbone exclusive thats AAA here on GS?

-GOTYs and other awards

PS4/Xbone awards? Xbox360 exclusive game thats won an award ever here on GS?

-mainstream

Like him?

Bolded stuff

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Played mostly on PC my entire life because:

- it's an open platform

- crapload of games from crapload of different genres

- can make your own games and be able to sell them however you want

- everyone wanted PC dead, and yet it's still here

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

a console doesnt give me mods, has way less games to choose from, requires me to pay MS or sony to use their cruddy servers, controllers are way less accurate and have less functions, and at least on pc I can use it for work, movies, music, and more, plus I can stream it to my tv and plug in a controller when I want to

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Preffer consoles cuz ; exclusives, achievements, everything at one place, can sell a games i am not happy with

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

Only thing I like about PC is MMORPGs really, that and some steam games was fun such as CSS and different mods they have for it. For the money console is better for what you get, not to many people have the expense of building a pc to begin with. If I could build a PC for under 500 then I would be sold but that isn't the case

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

-better games and genres

-GOTYs and other awards

-mainstream

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NewWellofGabe

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Consoles:

lol

Reliability

Yeah, like when your disc gets scratched. Or when your Xbox 360 gets RROD. Or any other console breaks. Then you either buy a new one or ship it off for months to be fixed. If something goes wrong with my PC, I can buy a replacement part and fix it myself.

Convenience

After that Day 1 update.

Cheaper

Nope. Not at all. Let's say you get a PS4. $400. Done, right? Nope, you need to get a couple of games. $120. But you want to play these games online? Gotta cough up another $50. Need another controller? Another $60. So right there, you're paying over $600. You can get a PC that crushes consoles for about the same price as a PS4- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4nDBYJ

Games are very cheap on PC, especially in sales. You will literally be saving hundreds/thousands of dollars buying PC games instead of console games- http://i.imgur.com/8sLpRS9.png

Rentals, reselling games

You're already saving money by not buying console games.

That's an opinion.

@Santesyu said:

Only thing I like about PC is MMORPGs really, that and some steam games was fun such as CSS and different mods they have for it. For the money console is better for what you get, not to many people have the expense of building a pc to begin with. If I could build a PC for under 500 then I would be sold but that isn't the case

Actually you can build a PC that crushes consoles for much less than $500. Also, in the long run PC is far cheaper than consoles. See my above replies to the UnbiasedPoster.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Any specific console has too little variety to keep me interested. I play on PC because it's cheaper, has more games, better games and a bigger variety of games in many formats. It's like a platform with extremes that I love. The games tend to be way more tailored to a good experience. You can set your preferred field of view, you can adjust the UI, you can pick which server you want to play on with what game mode and what connection speed. On top of that, your system can be the way you want it to be. Mine is like 2x as quiet as any modern console, and with an SSD you have 5 second tops load times in 95% of modern games.
I just can't go back to the restrictiveness of console gaming without feeling glad that I have a PC that I can go back to any time I want to.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

@newwellofgabe said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Consoles:

lol

Reliability

Yeah, like when your disc gets scratched. Or when your Xbox 360 gets RROD. Or any other console breaks. Then you either buy a new one or ship it off for months to be fixed. If something goes wrong with my PC, I can buy a replacement part and fix it myself.

Convenience

After that Day 1 update.

Cheaper

Nope. Not at all. Let's say you get a PS4. $400. Done, right? Nope, you need to get a couple of games. $120. But you want to play these games online? Gotta cough up another $50. Need another controller? Another $60. So right there, you're paying over $600. You can get a PC that crushes consoles for about the same price as a PS4- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4nDBYJ

Games are very cheap on PC, especially in sales. You will literally be saving hundreds/thousands of dollars buying PC games instead of console games- http://i.imgur.com/8sLpRS9.png

Rentals, reselling games

That's an opinion.

@Santesyu said:

Actually you can build a PC that crushes consoles for much less than $500. Also, in the long run PC is far cheaper than consoles. See my above replies to the UnbiasedPoster.

You really have to take into consideration that most gaming casuals would not know how to build in a motherboard,ram or any of that stuff sure buying the parts may be cheaper but if u dont know how to put it together finding someone who does would probably charge you lots of money just to do it.

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NewWellofGabe
@Santesyu said:

You really have to take into consideration that most gaming casuals would not know how to build in a motherboard,ram or any of that stuff sure buying the parts may be cheaper but if u dont know how to put it together finding someone who does would probably charge you lots of money just to do it.

Building a PC isn't hard at all. It just takes time and caution.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 True_Gamer_

@Santesyu said:

@newwellofgabe said:

@UnbiasedPoster said:

Consoles:

lol

Reliability

Convenience

After that Day 1 update.

Cheaper

Rentals, reselling games

That's an opinion.

@Santesyu said:

Oh god...God...lots of money...good lord...

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Consoles, because that's where the cooler people are

NewWellofGabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By NewWellofGabe
@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

First of all, I'm not doing this for you, I'm doing it for the lurkers who read statements like yours and take them as fact.

As of late 2013, Steam has more users than Xbox Live. Origin also has nearly as many users as Xbox Live- http://www.geekwire.com/2013/valve-xbox-live-users/

and for Origin- http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/11/eas-origin-now-has-30-million-users/

-better games and genres

"Better games" is nothing but opinion. Define "better". Also, PC has genres that are not heard of on consoles.

That's a lie. First of all, you will be spending far more for console gaming than PC gaming. Let's say you buy a PS4. That's $400. Want another controller? $60 (at least at GameStop). Want a few new games to play? $180 for three games. Want to play games online? $50-60. So right there you have spent around $700. Not to mention that you will probably buy more games, full price. While on PC, just a few days ago, you could get 21 games for $50- http://i.imgur.com/7ij012A.jpg

Not even going to get into the performance/graphics argument because anyone with a brain knows that your statement is a lie.

Pretty sure that's bullshit, but anyway, big budget does not equal better.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#50  Edited By gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Last gen I was happy with the Wii-60 combo. From '06 to '10 in particular was just amazing then the gen went on forever. WiiU wasn't the next Wii even though it seems to be the best of the bunch. XO was a disaster itself, and even despite that the PS4 isn't much better.

Online paywall on the hd twins, no bc, and then the lack of next-gen games have kept me away for the most part. I knew when the first confirmations of the PS4/XO specs were leaked that I wouldn't be able to cope with a whole gen at that power level. I also knew that at some point at couple years into the gen I'd save up some cash and buy a nice PC. So I focused on building up a nice digital library of games on Steam and Origin. An amazing thing is that while 2013 marks the divide as to what games your Maker has determined to allow you to play on your hardware on consoles, on PC the whole library seamlessly transitioned over. Games are even better than when they came out with mods. Big Picture and Steam Link are great and the Steam Controller shows a commitment to controller support.

I'm more interested in a WiiU and PS3 than the new hd twins and I doubt that will change anytime soon. Now I have a buddy who owns both PS4/XO and has built his collection around which games his friends play and he pays fees for both systems. He has a beautiful collection and frankly more games than he could play. Different priorities. He plays CoD fodder and GTA type games with a sprinkle of sports. I play RPG, FPS, and RTS along with heavy presence of the indie scene. For him games are entertainment, while for me games are a communal partaking.