Why do Many Gamers Hate COD?

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deadlyabdus123
Member since 2011 • 120 Posts
Instead of going on a rant like my other post, Ill ask you guys and then counter the argument. I feel all this COD hate going around the gaming community is alienating us from most gamers and fails in logical reasoning and would love to hear your thoughts.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61486 Posts

I don't hate it at all. I'm sure a lot of people dislike the series, but I would just chalk it up to opinion and be done with it.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Instead of going on a rant like my other post, Ill ask you guys and then counter the argument. I feel all this COD hate going around the gaming community is alienating us from most gamers and fails in logical reasoning and would love to hear your thoughts. deadlyabdus123

short and long

cause its rehash city,crappy engine,meh gameplay and animations that looked good last gen but now just look horid,robotic and generally reek of rehash.Not to mention an engine older than time itself.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Boring.
enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

because it gave devs a lazy formula for making games... short, same ol campaign, add in multiplayer, release map packs and tack-ons... profit

COD gets hate because it lowered the quality of games all around

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
I have bought every COD game since COD4. I don't hate it, I'm just tired of it... MW3 looks more of the same.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
I love COD4. One of the best games ever made IMO. MW2 and BO however took a step in the wrong direction. Series should have ended with 4.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is all justified and deserved. Activision isn't doing anything to EVOLVE the series, just keep churning out the same game every year. They are using the same engine from the first game, which was just a modified engine from 1999. :| I don't hate Call of Duty (the first and its expansion are two of my favourite shooters), I just hate what it has become.
deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deadlyabdus123

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]Instead of going on a rant like my other post, Ill ask you guys and then counter the argument. I feel all this COD hate going around the gaming community is alienating us from most gamers and fails in logical reasoning and would love to hear your thoughts. razgriz_101

short and long

cause its rehash city,crappy engine,meh gameplay and animations that looked good last gen but now just look horid,robotic and generally reek of rehash.Not to mention an engine older than time itself.

Isint Fallout: new Vegas more of same, isint, every madden more of the same? Why lose a winning formula, Fallout is boring as hell, im very impatient with it. COD I can pick up and play any time. BF is a better game and much more tactical, doesent make it more fun.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
I have bought every COD game since COD4. I don't hate it, I'm just tired of it... MW3 looks more of the same.SaltyMeatballs
Same here, and while the series has always been solid and consistent it brings absolutely nothing new to the table with each new iteration.
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
Nothing has been done to progress the series , its the same thing every year.
deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deadlyabdus123
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]It is all justified and deserved. Activision isn't doing anything to EVOLVE the series, just keep churning out the same game every year. They are using the same engine from the first game, which was just a modified engine from 1999. :| I don't hate Call of Duty (the first and its expansion are two of my favourite shooters), I just hate what it has become.

But do games like that need evolution? Can the add alot at 60fps? Ever played a sports game where people love the little bits they add and your like, wtf, its the same thing as last time. Same with COD, theatre mode, New perks, Wager mode, ability to choose killstreaks. People who love the fast past twitch (non-tactical gameplay) of COD find much value in it.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]Instead of going on a rant like my other post, Ill ask you guys and then counter the argument. I feel all this COD hate going around the gaming community is alienating us from most gamers and fails in logical reasoning and would love to hear your thoughts. deadlyabdus123

short and long

Isint Fallout: new Vegas more of same, isint, every madden more of the same? Why lose a winning formula, Fallout is boring as hell, im very impatient with it. COD I can pick up and play any time. BF is a better game and much more tactical, doesent make it more fun.

new vegas made massive improvements over FO3

Deeper crafting,not feeling overpowered,better sequel in terms of gameplay but not story it was a good improvement over FO3 despite some parts being disjointed.Trust me if you played new vegas you would know what im meaning its a much much much deeper game in terms of character developement and various other aspects, despite its flaws.

Madden i only buy every 3 years cause i dont bother bout players and unless the change was big enough from one year to the next then i might consider it.Over the past 2 gens i've only bought Madden 2003,2008 and 2011.

BF is way more fun than cod if you find the right people to play with and not a bunch of lone wolf bush wookie tank beasting idiots.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

I duuno, there just something fishy about Cod. :twisted:

I've never been much a fan of the series and in fact the last one I purchased was CoD 2. :o

Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

7 sequels over 8 years, and they're reinventing the wheel. There is no need for them to keep making annual releases, other than to milk money.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
But do games like that need evolution? deadlyabdus123
ALL series need evolution. If they don't evolve, they stagnate. And the further along the series is, the more evolution it needs to stay relevant. But CoD has been the same game for every one of its iterations. The series started in 2003 and has had at least 10 different games on multiple platforms... and none of them have been different from one another. What I hate most about the CoD series is what its success is doing to the rest of the industry... making developers just stick to what works and not trying anything new, just to make the most money. It makes me fear for the future of games as art, rather than just a business product.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
  1. Overly short campaigns
  2. The worst online community in the history of gaming (maturity-wise)
  3. Auto-aim makes it too easy

These are the reasons I don't like it anyway

deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deadlyabdus123

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"][QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

short and long

razgriz_101

Deeper crafting,not feeling overpowered,better sequel in terms of gameplay but not story it was a good improvement over FO3 despite some parts being disjointed.Trust me if you played new vegas you would know what im meaning its a much much much deeper game in terms of character developement and various other aspects, despite its flaws.

Madden i only buy every 3 years cause i dont bother bout players and unless the change was big enough from one year to the next then i might consider it.Over the past 2 gens i've only bought Madden 2003,2008 and 2011.

BF is way more fun than cod if you find the right people to play with and not a bunch of lone wolf bush wookie tank beasting idiots.

Deeper player enhancements (theatre mode, wager mode), not feeling unbalanced, better n terms of pace but not story and a good improvement over mw2 despite using an older engine. Trust me, if you ever played Black ops, you know what im meaning its a much much much deeper game in terms of multiplayer balance and various other aspects, despite its flaws. See what I did there, New Vegas is not an evolution like Sky Rim is to Oblivion, it is the same old engine tacked on with new features, many gaming sites even express this....
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I think most of us just hate what it has become, I mean it really hasn't been the same at all since Call of Duty 2 and even now it seems to be the same formula that they changed back then and just keep churning out the same thing with a new title.
deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deadlyabdus123
[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]But do games like that need evolution? foxhound_fox
ALL series need evolution. If they don't evolve, they stagnate. And the further along the series is, the more evolution it needs to stay relevant. But CoD has been the same game for every one of its iterations. The series started in 2003 and has had at least 10 different games on multiple platforms... and none of them have been different from one another. What I hate most about the CoD series is what its success is doing to the rest of the industry... making developers just stick to what works and not trying anything new, just to make the most money. It makes me fear for the future of games as art, rather than just a business product.

Overly short campaignsThe worst online community in the history of gaming (maturity-wise)Auto-aim makes it too easy

These are the reasons I don't like it anyway

donalbane
1. Games these days are plagued by short campaigns, at least COD offers action packed every second, even if it gets a tad tedious. 2. Thats what you get for playing on consoles, ps3 has just as many kids as live, but you dont hear them because xbox live has a mic standard, PS3 does not. 3. Try playing it with it off then why dont you? you know you can, but guess what, its much harder. Games shouldent be catered to only us gamers, it should be able to played by anyone. Its one thing to make games easier to suit casuals, its another to make it completely inaccessible.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I do not hate CoD, I dislike Activisions idea of "yearly installemnts" of it, I hate how all games since MW1 basicly resembles expansion packs (they are overly low on content, and alot of recyceling) I hate the idea of 15 doller map packs.

I hate how the sales of THAT one game has fueled the gaming industry to demand higher prices, and I hate how it pretty much started off the 60$ for pc version of games for real. I hate how the game was designed to allow lesser versitility, how they removed alot of things that was considered standard.

And I hate how alot of people buy it soley based on commercials. It pretty much shows that if you throw enough money at adverts, people will buy it, and think it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Now, when ive done with what I dislike about it? The game itself? I have no problems with, it is good, mp is not exactly the biggest leap farwards in online gaming ever as some people would have belive, but it is quite good, and it has a good fel to how it controls. In short: the game itself? pretty darn good ^^ its all the Overly bad ideas fuled by Activision I dislike about it.

And those negatives? Holy... those ARE negative, 15$ for a mappack? you know.. not long ago they were consideredobvious to get free with a games updates, 60$ forthe pc version (since the pc does notdemand royalties likethe consoles does, those 10$are pure profit, for no cost). The overly shallow and unflexible online structure (no dedicated servers,and so many things taken out to remove any control over the game as gamers usually have) is not a step backwards, its a jump back to the beginningof games...

Most of these points are ofcourse only a problem if you are a PC gamer ;)

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 razgriz_101

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"] Isint Fallout: new Vegas more of same, isint, every madden more of the same? Why lose a winning formula, Fallout is boring as hell, im very impatient with it. COD I can pick up and play any time. BF is a better game and much more tactical, doesent make it more fun. deadlyabdus123

Deeper player enhancements (theatre mode, wager mode), not feeling unbalanced, better n terms of pace but not story and a good improvement over mw2 despite using an older engine. Trust me, if you ever played Black ops, you know what im meaning its a much much much deeper game in terms of multiplayer balance and various other aspects, despite its flaws. See what I did there, New Vegas is not an evolution like Sky Rim is to Oblivion, it is the same old engine tacked on with new features, many gaming sites even express this....

please black ops has bout as much balance as a drunk coming out a Wetherspoons at 2 in the mornin.Also the multiplayer has the overall depth of a paddling pool.

Thing is those improvements in black ops are fairly cosmetic and basically pimp my gun, was expecting at least decent player customisation the way the blew on bout it at E3 like actually be able to change your guys model and what he looked like including what gear he wore making it more persistant.

BTW i do own black ops dont believe me add look thru my raptr, decent SP campaign i'll give it that but only the odd game of zombies is when i dust it off and fire it up.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Most gamers don't hate. System Wars does. While I did enjoy Black Ops, COD4 was the best one I've played. All others since then have gone downhill.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"] Isint Fallout: new Vegas more of same, isint, every madden more of the same? Why lose a winning formula, Fallout is boring as hell, im very impatient with it. COD I can pick up and play any time. BF is a better game and much more tactical, doesent make it more fun. deadlyabdus123

Ive played BO and MW2. BO doesnt really do anything to change it up. The game was boring to me since it plays exactly the same to MW2 and most of the "new" multiplayer modes I have played many many times before.
sami117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sami117
Member since 2008 • 650 Posts

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]Instead of going on a rant like my other post, Ill ask you guys and then counter the argument. I feel all this COD hate going around the gaming community is alienating us from most gamers and fails in logical reasoning and would love to hear your thoughts. razgriz_101

short and long

Plus no dedicated servers

deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deadlyabdus123
Ive played BO and MW2. BO doesnt really do anything to change it up. The game was boring to me since it plays exactly the same to MW2 and most of the "new" multiplayer modes I have played many many times before.

Remember, treyarch is Scum, what i wont do if i ever get my hands on the developers, MW1- MW2 I found as a big improvement. The problem is it was unbalanced, why, because how were we supposed to know people would use tactical spikes in Free for all to boost? How were we to gather guys would just go grenade spamming with unlimited scavangers? All black ops did was fix what was wrong. A game like MW2, someones gonna do something thats obviously unfair and developers didnt expect. Its trial and error.
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

all you do, is cover your eyes and pull the trigger

or

you snipe, and nothing else

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I don't hate CoD. I just hate that it attracts so much attention that people often overlook other great games. Oh, and because my XBL friends never seem to play anything else.

Truth be told, I've played tons of games for years, but not a single CoD title until Black Ops, which I actually liked a bit. Granted, I did not purchase it, nor do I plan on buying a title in the series anytime soon, but I did not find it to be a 'bad' game in any way. I can't stand the whole "3 bullets and you're dead" thing, but that's most likely from my years of Halo multiplayer.

deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deadlyabdus123

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="deadlyabdus123"]Instead of going on a rant like my other post, Ill ask you guys and then counter the argument. I feel all this COD hate going around the gaming community is alienating us from most gamers and fails in logical reasoning and would love to hear your thoughts. sami117

short and long

Plus no dedicated servers

Now that I agree with, Lag and lack of servers kill COD, but servers cost money to maintain. The engine can only do so much at 60fps. Remember BF3 plays at 30 on consoles. And as far as map packs, BC2 allows you to unlock guns youd have to work for for 10 bucks, hows that for imbalance?
Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts
Let's see. *Spammy multiplayer with lack of any sense of teamwork? - Check *Re-skinned game in a full priced box? - Check *Gobbles up the market for more deserving titles? - Check *Forces an army of tired copy-cat games? - Check *Frat boy obnoxious gamers who plagues the community? - Check *Overpriced DLC, with 0 fan service what so ever? Check *Took an amazing franchise and turned into another Activision product? - Check I mean, I could go on....but I don't think it's needed. I guess I am spoiled since I grew up on worthwhile titles such as BF1942, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Alien vs Predator, Unreal Tournament, No One Lives Forever, Tribes, Counter Strike and so on.
MeteorStream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MeteorStream
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Dont hate it,just bored of it
VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

There's nothing wrong with hating a game, just don't hate a person for liking it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
The same reason why people hate on Michael Bay movies. Overused explosions, nonsensical story, ridiculous moments trying too much to be epic, and overall shallow experience. And add in unbalanced multiplayer as well.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts
i dont really hate it...im just indifferent. after COD4 i just said "thats enough". when i want a COD fix ill just play 1 or 4.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Nothing has been done to progress the series , its the same thing every year. DavidianMH

^ This.

It's already been stated, but it's true that Call of Duty is rehash city.After CoD 4, every CoD game feels the same.And it's just plain boring.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

A better question is why does it sell millions when people hate it on websites.

I guess we're the minority.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#37 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
It's a cash cow. Milking it every year = 6+ million copies per year = billions of $$$ and all they do is change the story and guns other than that, same formula. I'll admit I bought Black Ops and the only reason why I'm keeping it is because my sister and I play multiplayer.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

It's only here I encounter COD hate.

Lots of gamers I talk to outside SW love it.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

A better question is why does it sell millions when people hate it on websites.

I guess we're the minority.

mitu123

Exactly, people who dislike Call of Duty are the minority. Back at school, all the bros love to play CoD. A lot of casual gamers like CoD because it's simple, the learning curve isn't very steep.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Because countless rehashes of the same game aren't well looked upon. I don't hate it. But I don't love it. I don't like what its done to FPS's and gaming in general.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox
1. Games these days are plagued by short campaigns, at least COD offers action packed every second, even if it gets a tad tedious. deadlyabdus123
The game in my sig, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a shooter that will have a 25 hour singleplayer, and it is said by the developers that doing everything takes at least 40 hours to do everything. An "action-packed" singleplayer is meaningless if it doesn't have meaningful content. Why is it that I remember every level in Doom II, 16 years later? And can barely remember levels from shooters I played a few years ago? It is because they were unique, and creative. No matter how much explosions you pack into something won't make up for s***ty level design. And back to Deus Ex... HR is going to offer a meaningful story, with elements playing on modern political issues... and Call of Duty is offering a controversial level to draw negative attention from non-gamers to make gamers feel "cool" doing something that pisses off others. I don't care that people like Call of Duty... I just care that its success is turning the rest of the industry into Hollywood seen through Michael Bay's eyes. Big budget action movies that play themselves and are packed with more explosions than smart and creative content.
romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
COD has its place. I'll admit that I struggled to get through MW2's campaign as it felt kind of old, but I return to it in small doses. I really did enjoy BO, though. I'll buy MW3 and the next one after that, because while there's nothing particularly innovative about it, it's pretty fun for awhile. I will agree that the DLC is hate-worthy though. It's a ripoff.
Ninja_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ninja_Odin
Member since 2011 • 386 Posts
Peopel who hate COD hate that it's so popular and they don't like it as much as other people. I don't hate COD but i'm also one of those CODE4 players 2 years ago who is now sick of COD. I'll rent MW3 for campaign that's it.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Most gamers don't hate. System Wars does. mrmusicman247

Wrong.....Most PC gamers hate.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I don't mind the games because they can be some fun, but they're also completely devoid of creativity and are among the top selling games in the world. They don't deserve the praise from critics or the sales when they've been doing the same thing every year since 2007.
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

I have bought every COD game since COD4. I don't hate it, I'm just tired of it... MW3 looks more of the same.SaltyMeatballs

This, I'm just not gonna pay for the same game every year. And I've never bought one of their overpriced map packs, just not worth it to me. Fun games, and I did enjoy them, but it's just more of the same every year. For those who enjoy it, and find it worth it, more power to you! :)

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

The games are lacking in graphics, sound, physics, and polish of most other areas. The engine looks like crap, yet the netcode they use in combination with their p2p network make for a laggy online experience surpassed by every other online title I've played.

Acti directs the budget of the game towards marketing and voice actors. If they didn't go with Ice-T for BO, they could have used that money to pay for dedicated servers for the whole series.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Because it dserves the hate. Overhyped, over-appreciated, overpriced, over too quickly.... Nothing more to say on the situation.

Oh there is.... By next gen CoD as a franchise will be killed off like Tony Hawks and Guitar Hero. Both over done and the public got severly bored.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

I hate it because i find it to be the epitome of casual gaming, i'm not a casual FPS player so i can't stop feeling 'what a crappy noob game' whenever i play call of duty.

deadlyabdus123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deadlyabdus123

I hate it because i find it to be the epitome of casual gaming, i'm not a casual FPS player so i can't stop feeling 'what a crappy noob game' whenever i play call of duty.

rastotm
so does it make you an elitist gamer hating it? cause I'd consider myself a big gamer and i dont mind playing with casual gamers, In fact, most of my friends are casual gamers or not gamers at all, id rather not associate myself with a person as big into gaming as I am because they tend to be physically like their stereotype. If your good at COD, you have skill, even the biggest gamers suck at FPS because they dont have the reflexes. COD just doesent have a steep learning curve and you dont have to master anything. It seems I adressed ever issue you guys argued in my replys, the only issue I agree with is that the series hasnt evolved much but thats because of the nature of the game and the tech limitations of having it 60 fps. we try to put as much as we can but current gen consoles dont allow too much shine at 60 fps. Also the lag is a big issue but servers cost money to maintain.