Why can't SquareEnix learn from FFVI?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#101 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14900 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:
@texasgoldrush said:

@MBirdy88: If I were to do a poll of Final Fantasy fans who played 8 or 9 main titles or more......FFVI would win

The generation gap helps FFVII as there is a large one between VI and VII. If I sift out this gap, VI beats VII.

Its the same as Fallout. If I polled Fallout fans in general, I think 3 will win. If I polled fans that played one of the Black Isle games, Fallout 2 wins and New Vegas would be the top Bethesda era Fallout game.

The long time fanbase tilts toward VI being the best.

bullshit, back it up or just go back to your hole.

Best at story, FF5 was best at classes (if you dont include the MMOs).

Story alone doesn't make the best game. you say you know the majority of FF fans... yet alot of them were born from the PS error... I bet more of them can name FF7-10 characters compared to the cast of 6.

It won the Destructoid poll, where most likely, the hardcore fanbase is as the site is heavily into JRPGs.

Yes, the job system is the best gameplay system in the series, however, its the story and the characters that are the most important when it comes to ranking the series.

But that doesn't make VII the best or the PS era of games the best as well. In fact, look at the Suikoden series. The game widely considered the BEST, was actually the LEAST commercially successful.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

@Gue1: challenging bosses? No final fantasy has challenging bosses even the optional ones simply require grinding in some form whether levels, items, or magic.

Even 6 doesn't actually have challenging bosses in a default play through, you literally have to limit yourself in final fantasy to find any actual challenge "ff6 hard type where only celes, terra can learn magic"

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By texasgoldrush

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@Gue1: challenging bosses? No final fantasy has challenging bosses even the optional ones simply require grinding in some form whether levels, items, or magic.

Even 6 doesn't actually have challenging bosses in a default play through, you literally have to limit yourself in final fantasy to find any actual challenge "ff6 hard type where only celes, terra can learn magic"

I like that idea, Celes, Terra, Mog, Relm, and Strago should be the only ones to learn magic. I think magicite should enhance the other members abilities however.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#104 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@Gue1 said:

there's nothing to learn from such an archaic game that you could use today. FFVI had good story but every FF game after it has it beaten on gameplay mechanics, in particular FF7 and FF12. Challenging bosses, crazy sidequests, deep customization... A game like FFVI wouldn't work today, at least not on consoles, because everything's so very simple and basic when most fans are expecting a clever triple A experience and not pokemon with hd graphics.

But I believe FFXV will be the best FF game in years even if all the main characters look like japanese hosts or idols. The only complaint from fans is that the battle system is not turn based but when you look back, beside FFX (and FF Tactics) all the others have been pretty braindead anyway. But Nomura said the game will not be a straight up action game because it'll have touches of strategy, you can use every character from the party during battle, there are team attacks, sidequests, worldmap, a level up system, etc. So FFXV is not just a DMC rip-off trying to pass for an RPG. Its story is about countries conspiring to obtain the last crystal, which sounds like a traditional setting very reminiscent to FF4. And beside, this is Nomura we are talking about not Toriyama. Almost certain the story will be ultra convoluted though because to Nomura: shock value > making sense.

whoah whoah, I was on board until you said ff12 had better gameplay. That game was rubbish and a terrible MMO hybrid action game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#105 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I am betting they are. At Sony's 2017 E3, FF6 REmake will be announced and this forum will post in the sticky, "SONY WINS!!!!" because of:

Loading Video...

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#106 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@waahahah said:

whoah whoah, I was on board until you said ff12 had better gameplay. That game was rubbish and a terrible MMO hybrid action game.

I don't mind someone shitting on FFXII's battle system, but it seems you haven't played it lol.

It's not a hybrid action game in any sense. Its battle system is just the classic ATB system in fast forward. The only action is field movement which doesn't have an affect on the system anyways.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#107 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@waahahah said:

I don't mind someone shitting on FFXII's battle system, but it seems you haven't played it lol.

It's not a hybrid action game in any sense. Its battle system is just the classic ATB system in fast forward. The only action is field movement which doesn't have an affect on the system anyways.

I played it, it was terrible, having to switch characters to see if you can doll out a command was incredibly clunky, the camera/movement made targeting more clunky. The faster timing made it feel more like a MMO where you were managing a GCD and then doing something. The command window felt archaic. And to get around some of the clunkyness you could use automated actions... which caused the game to go into auto pilot mode. I just remember at some point I got bored out of my mind with the game and stopped playing. Now every time I try and play it my characters are lost in this orange crystalline area and I give up after 5 minutes. Nothing poses a threat, the game mostly playes it self, and if you try in play it the hard way its a clunky mess that feels like a bad mmo.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 texasgoldrush

And really, its actually quite good to bump this topic now that FFXV is out, because oh man, does FFXV just don't get it.

In FFVI, a side quest has meaning, it fleshes out the story and the characters, and may have invented the "companion quest" that Bioware so loves to use. Everything is cohesive and thematically relevant.

FFXV on the other hand, its side content is nonsense and incoherent, and random to boot. Its open world are check boxing instead of having real meaning.