Why can't SquareEnix learn from FFVI?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14878 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Gue1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Western RPG's have always been better. Even Final Fantasy 7 " the best rpg ever" pc gamers played superior titles like Baldurs Gate. The truth of the matter, it has never been good beyond the two MMO's. This is something animoo fans need to accept. The repetitive crying of "oh it use to be good" got old almost 10 years ago.

better maybe in content or scale

Design. Story. Writing. Graphics.

Part of the reason titles such as Baldurs Gate and other speculator titles like Homeworld do not get thier due is simply because of the fact consoles are mainstream and accessible. A sad, sad fact.

Seeing the animoo fans run round going on about Metal Gear Solid "oh oh oh oh, movies" is an injustice when Homeworld at the time was vastly, vastly superior. Vastly. The media can also be blamed.

But hey, I really like Realm Reborn, it's actually pretty good. Surprising considering it's cross developed.

You know that FFVI has western RPG elements, right?

And Baldur's Gate II character quests remind me of what FFVI accomplished in regards to RPG characterization.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 texasgoldrush

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

LOL, a Vaasman/Musalala idiot reply

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#53 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58821 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Gue1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Western RPG's have always been better. Even Final Fantasy 7 " the best rpg ever" pc gamers played superior titles like Baldurs Gate. The truth of the matter, it has never been good beyond the two MMO's. This is something animoo fans need to accept. The repetitive crying of "oh it use to be good" got old almost 10 years ago.

Part of the reason titles such as Baldurs Gate and other speculator titles like Homeworld do not get thier due is simply because of the fact consoles are mainstream and accessible. A sad, sad fact.

Seeing the animoo fans run round going on about Metal Gear Solid "oh oh oh oh, movies" is an injustice when Homeworld at the time was vastly, vastly superior. Vastly. The media can also be blamed.

But hey, I really like Realm Reborn, it's actually pretty good. Surprising considering it's cross developed.

You know that FFVI has western RPG elements, right?

And Baldur's Gate II character quests remind me of what FFVI accomplished in regards to RPG characterization.

MMO.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15557 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

No need to get butthurt bra.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#55 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

I was delighted to have a conversation about Final Fantasy, but after seeing you stomp your feet around and yelling, "you just don't get it." It simply isn't worth my time. All I see you posting is your opinion and saying that is how it is. I wasn't aware your opinions dictate how things are for everyone. Stop living in the 90's.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

@Gue1 said:

there's nothing to learn from such an archaic game that you could use today. FFVI had good story but every FF game after it has it beaten on gameplay mechanics, in particular FF7 and FF12. Challenging bosses, crazy sidequests, deep customization... A game like FFVI wouldn't work today, at least not on consoles, because everything's so very simple and basic when most fans are expecting a clever triple A experience and not pokemon with hd graphics.

But I believe FFXV will be the best FF game in years even if all the main characters look like japanese hosts or idols. The only complaint from fans is that the battle system is not turn based but when you look back, beside FFX (and FF Tactics) all the others have been pretty braindead anyway. But Nomura said the game will not be a straight up action game because it'll have touches of strategy, you can use every character from the party during battle, there are team attacks, sidequests, worldmap, a level up system, etc. So FFXV is not just a DMC rip-off trying to pass for an RPG. Its story is about countries conspiring to obtain the last crystal, which sounds like a traditional setting very reminiscent to FF4. And beside, this is Nomura we are talking about not Toriyama. Almost certain the story will be ultra convoluted though because to Nomura: shock value > making sense.

What you just said is mad stupid.

why?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#58  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Gue1: How does the simplicity of FFVI detract from it? You HAVE played it, right? Then you'd know that it easily has one of the best second halves of any RPG ever. It's truly well done.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Gue1 said:

design, story and graphics, I don't think so. In particular graphics and story because jrpg's always excel at unique art-styles and stories. Jrpg's have stories about evolution (EVO snes), time travel (Chrono Trigger), giant robots made to kill gods (Xenogears), training cute animals to fight (Pokemon), hunt demons and even satan himself (shin megami tensei), aliens that eat planets (FFVII), etc. The variety in jrpg stories is just unmatched. And about writing? Having the best writing doesn't mean that the story itself will be enjoyable.

But I do believe that wrpg's excel at making believable worlds, technical graphics, scale and even content. But to me this is not enough to make up for its lack of charm that jrpg's are so full with. I sometimes enjoy a wrpg here and there but they would never replace jrpg's just like jrpg's coul never replace wrpg's because both styles are so very different. It's just preference.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

Classic TGR response, you threads are so predictable, they fall in the following categories

Dick ride Bioware threads

SE bashing threads

and recently Bioshock bashing threads

And they always end with you being buthurt .

Same sh*t Differnt Day

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I like FFVIII the best.

It has the most memorable moments for me.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Vaasman

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

Classic TGR response, you threads are so predictable, they fall in the following categories

SE bashing threads

Same sh*t Differnt Day

Wow, you are a complete moron, you really do not understand the positions on which I post.

"Dragon Age is overrated", remember that, but I guess you are too stupid. Go play in traffic

Don't get all bent out of shape just because he nailed you down to a tee.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 texasgoldrush

@Gue1 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Gue1 said:

design, story and graphics, I don't think so. In particular graphics and story because jrpg's always excel at unique art-styles and stories. Jrpg's have stories about evolution (EVO snes), time travel (Chrono Trigger), giant robots made to kill gods (Xenogears), training cute animals to fight (Pokemon), hunt demons and even satan himself (shin megami tensei), aliens that eat planets (FFVII), etc. The variety in jrpg stories is just unmatched. And about writing? Having the best writing doesn't mean that the story itself will be enjoyable.

But I do believe that wrpg's excel at making believable worlds, technical graphics, scale and even content. But to me this is not enough to make up for its lack of charm that jrpg's are so full with. I sometimes enjoy a wrpg here and there but they would never replace jrpg's just like jrpg's coul never replace wrpg's because both styles are so very different. It's just preference.

You are still underestimating the variety of WRPGs. WRPGs have stories about becoming an Avatar of Virtue (Ultima IV), a immortals quest to die (Planescape Torment), a wuxia story (Jade Empire), stories about conspiracies mixed with trans humanism (Deus Ex series), post apocalyptic survival (Fallout), a space opera revival (Mass Effect), vampires (Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines), a monster slayer trying to find his place in the world (The Witcher), and more. Now we have Cyberpunk 2077 coming, nevermind what will Bioware's new IP be? And JRPGs many times, fall back on clichés.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

SE bashing threads

Same sh*t Differnt Day

Wow, you are a complete moron, you really do not understand the positions on which I post.

"Dragon Age is overrated", remember that, but I guess you are too stupid. Go play in traffic

Obviously he didn't. How do you nail me down when you don't know what I even argue or believe?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Vaasman

@texasgoldrush said:

@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

SE bashing threads

Same sh*t Differnt Day

Obviously he didn't. How do you nail me down when you don't know what I even argue or believe?

lol. Anyone who's ever attempted to post in the same thread as you knows exactly how you post, this isn't rocket science. Your modus operandi hasn't change once. Only real question is how bad you gonna get devastated over this fact?

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I find FF7 fanboys to be really annoying when they try and shit on FF6 when it's obvious they never played FF6(3) on SNES.

The sad thing is I like FF7 a lot. It's tied for second best in my book with FF4; but it urks me that these fools have no idea that most of the things that made FF7 awesome were the elements that it inherited from FF6. Some guy in this thread tried to say that FF6 didn't have side quests, I mean wtf. I don't know why everyone on this forum is so extremely polarized with their opinions and are willingly ignorant.

On topic. I guess S-E is tone-deaf. They need new writers apparently because the biggest issue with FF as of late has been generic/convoluted/boring story lines and characters. Horrible.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@musalala said:

@Vaasman said:

Lol TGR thread.

My sentiments exactly

SE bashing threads

Same sh*t Differnt Day

lol. Anyone who's ever attempted to post in the same thread as you knows exactly how you post, this isn't rocket science. Your modus operandi hasn't change once. Only real question is how bad you gonna get devastated over this fact?

No, people are just clueless morons including you. And no, you really do not know my positions.. If you think I am a Birdrone who hates Bioshock and SquareEnix, you are simply an idiot.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 texasgoldrush

@Pray_to_me said:

I find FF7 fanboys to be really annoying when they try and shit on FF6 when it's obvious they never played FF6(3) on SNES.

The sad thing is I like FF7 a lot. It's tied for second best in my book with FF4; but it urks me that these fools have no idea that most of the things that made FF7 awesome were the elements that it inherited from FF6. Some guy in this thread tried to say that FF6 didn't have side quests, I mean wtf. I don't know why everyone on this forum is so extremely polarized with their opinions and are willingly ignorant.

On topic. I guess S-E is tone-deaf. They need new writers apparently because the biggest issue with FF as of late has been generic/convoluted/boring story lines and characters. Horrible.

Percisely....look at "one Winged Angel" Sephiroth...I want FFVII fans to tell me that's not borrowed from FFVI and Heartless Angel Kefka, so I can laugh in their face.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Vaasman

@texasgoldrush said:

No, people are just clueless morons including you. And no, you really do not know my positions.. If you think I am a Birdrone who hates Bioshock and SquareEnix, you are simply an idiot.

Sounds like extreme denial to me lol. "OBVIOUSLY I'M RIGHT EVERYONE IS STUPID, THAT'S WHY I MADE A THREAD, TO TELL YOU ALL HOW SUPERIOR I AM!"

Are you going to keep crying because you were called out? I find it rather amusing watching you rage about nothing. I guess that's all I can expect from a Bird-drone though.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@DerekLoffin: Why ? he brings up good points... FFVI is just nostalgia attack on most of you. The story it's actually quite stupid with plot holes and things that didn't make sense with in the boundaries of it's own imaginary world. The customization in the game were just like the Materia system of FF7 which was simple.. effective but simple which was cool and it seemed to me FF7 was riding on the FFVI mechanics and added a bit of depth to it ( such as making a better limit break system ) The story on FF7 is actually better than the one on 6. It's not a grammy winning story but it's far more interesting. A clown with the excuse that he became mad because of an experiment imagined the world being destroyed and so it happened yet he can't beat a group of people trying to kill him for no logical explanation? No one bother trying to kill him infront of the statues that clearly absorbed magic that he himself told everyone they did and was struggling to push them when you have a karate and bushido master in your group and some ninja out of nowhere has to come to do something about it while your group is just standing there watching. I was like literally What the **** is wrong with this scene right here? It made no sense either why terra had to calm down the scions for them to absorb them when they absorbed them immediately anyways from a safe distance.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 texasgoldrush

@Joedgabe said:

@DerekLoffin: Why ? he brings up good points... FFVI is just nostalgia attack on most of you. The story it's actually quite stupid with plot holes and things that didn't make sense with in the boundaries of it's own imaginary world. The customization in the game were just like the Materia system of FF7 which was simple.. effective but simple which was cool and it seemed to me FF7 was riding on the FFVI mechanics and added a bit of depth to it ( such as making a better limit break system ) The story on FF7 is actually better than the one on 6. It's not a grammy winning story but it's far more interesting. A clown with the excuse that he became mad because of an experiment imagined the world being destroyed and so it happened yet he can't beat a group of people trying to kill him for no logical explanation? No one bother trying to kill him infront of the statues that clearly absorbed magic that he himself told everyone they did and was struggling to push them when you have a karate and bushido master in your group and some ninja out of nowhere has to come to do something about it while your group is just standing there watching. I was like literally What the **** is wrong with this scene right here? It made no sense either why terra had to calm down the scions for them to absorb them when they absorbed them immediately anyways from a safe distance.

Wow, I don't think you were even paying attention to the story or its scenes.

If you were paying attention to the scene with the statues, you would see that Kefka and Gesthal (a powerful mage of his own right) stunned everyone but Celes. They offer Celes glory to the Empire if she would kill her friends, giving her a sword to do so. She attempts to kill Kefka instead, stabbing him. they counter and KO Celes. So, they did try to kill Kefka, they could not do it. Shadow rescues Celes and her party and occupies Kefka while they escape. You weren't paying attention, you are making up plot holes in your head.

@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:

Sounds like extreme denial to me lol. "OBVIOUSLY I'M RIGHT EVERYONE IS STUPID, THAT'S WHY I MADE A THREAD, TO TELL YOU ALL HOW SUPERIOR I AM!"

Are you going to keep crying because you were called out? I find it rather amusing watching you rage about nothing. I guess that's all I can expect from a Bird-drone though.

Nope, I am not in denial....I really do like the Obsidian sequels to NWN and KOTOR better than the Bioware original (one thing me and DarkLink agree), that DAO is overrated, Jade Empire is flawed, and that Drew Karpyshyn is an overrated writer that ruined Revan. So I am far from a Biodrone.

For calling me out, you guys do a moronic job. I am not mad, I am just pointing out the obvious. You don't know my positions and you are ignorant. Good day.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Vaasman

@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:

Nope, I am not in denial....I really do like the Obsidian sequels to NWN and KOTOR better than the Bioware original (one thing me and DarkLink agree), that DAO is overrated, Jade Empire is flawed, and that Drew Karpyshyn is an overrated writer that ruined Revan. So I am far from a Biodrone.

For calling me out, you guys do a moronic job. I am not mad, I am just pointing out the obvious. You don't know my positions and you are ignorant. Good day.

And now you're on to stuff that has nothing to do with the point I made. Denial AND following your shtick. Classic. If you're going to say you don't follow a pattern, don't follow the pattern while you deny it rofl.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#74 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10416 Posts

@Gue1 said:

there's nothing to learn from such an archaic game that you could use today. FFVI had good story but every FF game after it has it beaten on gameplay mechanics, in particular FF7 and FF12. Challenging bosses, crazy sidequests, deep customization... A game like FFVI wouldn't work today, at least not on consoles, because everything's so very simple and basic when most fans are expecting a clever triple A experience and not pokemon with hd graphics.

But I believe FFXV will be the best FF game in years even if all the main characters look like japanese hosts or idols. The only complaint from fans is that the battle system is not turn based but when you look back, beside FFX (and FF Tactics) all the others have been pretty braindead anyway. But Nomura said the game will not be a straight up action game because it'll have touches of strategy, you can use every character from the party during battle, there are team attacks, sidequests, worldmap, a level up system, etc. So FFXV is not just a DMC rip-off trying to pass for an RPG. Its story is about countries conspiring to obtain the last crystal, which sounds like a traditional setting very reminiscent to FF4. And beside, this is Nomura we are talking about not Toriyama. Almost certain the story will be ultra convoluted though because to Nomura: shock value > making sense.

Yeah the game has aged, unfortunately wont stop FF fans from jumping you.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 texasgoldrush

@Oemenia said:

@Gue1 said:

Yeah the game has aged, unfortunately wont stop FF fans from jumping you.

However, it has aged well, more so than many of its successors.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

You immediately lost me when you said it was a good thing the translator "westernized" the dialogue in the game.

No, taking someone elses written dialogue and translating it as your own, is not something worth applauding.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Vaasman

@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:
@Vaasman said:

@texasgoldrush said:

And now you're on to stuff that has nothing to do with the point I made. Denial AND following your shtick. Classic. If you're going to say you don't follow a pattern, don't follow the pattern while you deny it rofl.

No, it has everything to do with the point I made. It is you who are deviating. This shows your ignorance even more.

Its funny, instead of even trying to address the topic at hand, you just want to take shots at me. What, you obsessed? You are the topic derailer. So don't act all high and mighty when calling me out for it.

Rat piss has more worth than what you say.

That is some high tier butthurt right there lol. Can't even pretend you don't do the same crap over and over, ya just ended up crying about it. Keep it up I love it.

And for the record, you've derailed your own topic. You were and are perfectly capable of ignoring this dissension like every topic creator, but you never do, because you're predictable.

Go ahead though, don't respond to this post, if you don't follow a pattern. Feel free not to quote this and prove me wrong.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Its to bad really FFVI was the last good main final fantasy.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

Too*, and I think 7 was the last great main FF, you're probably just reminiscing about the SNES.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 texasgoldrush

@WilliamRLBaker said:

FFIX is the last great FF, and FFXII would have been great if they let Matsuno do what he wanted.

SquareEnix could also learn from FFIX, because that game successfully brought the series back to its roots. Now you have Princess Robot Bubblegum garbage brought to you by Toriyama and Nomura.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@texasgoldrush: stunned them in-front of statues that were absorbing every other spell of his? ._.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Joedgabe said:

@texasgoldrush: stunned them in-front of statues that were absorbing every other spell of his? ._.

watch the scene again, they use the statues to stun the party.

chunkbasker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 chunkbasker
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

@ActicEdge: Kefka is an insanely great villain. He plays his role perfect to a T.

Act like a screw up, hide in the shadows while causing some serious havok and Keep your true abilities hidden until everything comes into Fruition. How is Kefka not the perfect villain?

Here are some of the evil things Kefka goes about doing.

Burning cities to dust

Poisoning water supply of even the innocent

Trying to burn Figaro to the ground.

Killing the leader/general of his nation (whats not more evil then this)

Burning the world into ruin.

Kefka is crazy mad villain with a sinister twisted mind. He is unpredictable yet ingenious at the same time. He's the ideal super villain. Hell he's more evil then any Bond Villain

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Well SE can't always make games like VI, can they?

You have to admit that VII had (technically) a larger impact than VI, although at the cost of creating an obnoxious fanbase. And thus good enough to make spin-offs and compilations whenever they were good or not. On a/n (extremely off track) side note, Lightning from XIII, was meant to be the 'Rule 63' Cloud Strife, your mileage may vary from there.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@ActicEdge said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@ActicEdge: How is Kefka not awesome? I'd see he's great in the way the Joker is- he's just a power hungry, insane clown (who also attains ultimate power) and isn't afraid to step on some toes. Hell, he gets a light house that shoes nuclear lasers!

Evil for the sake of being evil. Its kind of boring. He was hyped up as being this awesome villain and when I played it it was more like, he does some evil shit because why not and then does the good old betrayalton that was not even done that well. Meh.

WRONG

He is NOT evil for the sake of being evil. He is evil because he thinks life is meaningless, and wants to prove it in the most sadistic and ruthless manner possible. You did not read his dialogue. He is an ideologue for nihilism.

I read the dialogue, Kefka is nothing special. Lots of villains think life is meaningless because. . .because I think life is meaningless. That's the definition of evil for the sake of being evil. If Kefka thinks, life is meaningless, why hasn't he already killed himself? (and I mean this 100% seriously because life starts and ends with you. In the game itself, Celes tries to commit suicide strictly because she feels that her life has lost meaning as a specific example of why what you're saying is imo just some bullshit in regards to Kefka) He's not a great villain, any motherfucker can be ruthless and hurt people, it doesn't mean your motivations are justified or have any core principle behind them besides "I can do it so I will". That is Kefka and basically all FF villains.

It's not Sephiroth, Ultimecia, Kuja and Sin.

Seph suffers an identity crisis (like Cloud does) but develops megalomania.

Ultemecia us kinda out of the blue, but FF8 is all about Squall and his personal relations anyway.

Kuja has a severe inferiority complex and is deeply jelaous of Zidane.

Sin is a control mechanism gone wrong.

Incidently, I've failed to complete FF6 many times, while the opposite is true for 7, 8, 9 and 10.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#87 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Cool another thread where we can all argue over which FF game is best!

I will contribute: Out of the ones I played 7 is best and the worst was 9. Everyone else is WRONG.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By texasgoldrush

@pelvist said:

Cool another thread where we can all argue over which FF game is best!

I will contribute: Out of the ones I played 7 is best and the worst was 9. Everyone else is WRONG.

However, objectively, most sites consider VI the best and not only that, even Kitase says that a large portion of fans in the West prefer VI to VII.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By texasgoldrush

@MlauTheDaft said:

@ActicEdge said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@ActicEdge said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@ActicEdge: How is Kefka not awesome? I'd see he's great in the way the Joker is- he's just a power hungry, insane clown (who also attains ultimate power) and isn't afraid to step on some toes. Hell, he gets a light house that shoes nuclear lasers!

Evil for the sake of being evil. Its kind of boring. He was hyped up as being this awesome villain and when I played it it was more like, he does some evil shit because why not and then does the good old betrayalton that was not even done that well. Meh.

WRONG

He is NOT evil for the sake of being evil. He is evil because he thinks life is meaningless, and wants to prove it in the most sadistic and ruthless manner possible. You did not read his dialogue. He is an ideologue for nihilism.

I read the dialogue, Kefka is nothing special. Lots of villains think life is meaningless because. . .because I think life is meaningless. That's the definition of evil for the sake of being evil. If Kefka thinks, life is meaningless, why hasn't he already killed himself? (and I mean this 100% seriously because life starts and ends with you. In the game itself, Celes tries to commit suicide strictly because she feels that her life has lost meaning as a specific example of why what you're saying is imo just some bullshit in regards to Kefka) He's not a great villain, any motherfucker can be ruthless and hurt people, it doesn't mean your motivations are justified or have any core principle behind them besides "I can do it so I will". That is Kefka and basically all FF villains.

Ultemecia us kinda out of the blue, but FF8 is all about Squall and his personal relations anyway.

Incidently, I've failed to complete FF6 many times, while the opposite is true for 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Its not Vayne or Delita either.

Kefka is quite unique of a villain in the series where the means are the ends. He definitely is the Joker of the FF series.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@ActicEdge said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@ActicEdge said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

WRONG

Kefka is quite unique of a villain in the series where the means are the ends. He definitely is the Joker of the FF series.

FF was pretty damn great overall before XIII :)

I never thought about it before, but I see your point. Kefka really IS the Joker.

Would you happen to know which version they used for IOS/Android? I remember feeling slightly burnt by Chrono Trigger because it was'nt the PSX version.

Edit: Just did my own research. Seems like the mobiel version is the definitive one apart from not featuring the FMVs.

Maybe I should just dump my PSX disc and see how the load times are on my Android devices....

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#91  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

@Gue1 said:

But Nomura said the game will not be a straight up action game because it'll have touches of strategy, you can use every character from the party during battle, there are team attacks, sidequests, worldmap, a level up system, etc. So FFXV is not just a DMC rip-off trying to pass for an RPG.

I'd actually be super excited if it was a Bayonetta/Devil May Cry caliber game with leveling and status effects. It'd be the best action game ever. As it stands now, I worry about it like I do for every action jrpg. The combat will probably be ass. Terrible. An abomination of an action game. Action RPGs are incredibly hard to make because you have to make a good action game and a good rpg. Even counting western RPGs, 90% are terrible action games and decent rpgs, 9% are decent action games but terrible RPGs. I'll make up that 1% nails both, although I've never played a single one. Maybe it exists somewhere.

The last action game Square made was that dogshit "The Bouncer" back on PS2, right? I'm looking forward to FFXV but I'm totally prepared for it to have really terrible action gameplay.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By texasgoldrush

@MlauTheDaft said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@ActicEdge said:

@texasgoldrush said:

@ActicEdge said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

WRONG

FF was pretty damn great overall before XIII :)

I never thought about it before, but I see your point. Kefka really IS the Joker.

Would you happen to know which version they used for IOS/Android? I remember feeling slightly burnt by Chrono Trigger because it was'nt the PSX version.

Edit: Just did my own research. Seems like the mobiel version is the definitive one apart from not featuring the FMVs.

Maybe I should just dump my PSX disc and see how the load times are on my Android devices....

There is some differences between the Joker and Kefka......Joker is an agent of chaos who believes that order is an illusion and that humans by nature will end up destroying eachother when the chips are down, Kefka is an agent of death who believes life is meaningless because everything has to end and be destroyed, so they have different motives. Kefka brings a higher body count, however, he is not interested in corrupting others to do evil like the Joker (although Kefka rather you lose hope, maybe his form of corrupting others, Strago for example). That's another key difference. So I am not entirely accurate calling Kefka the Joker, but he is very similar. Kefka is not always portrayed as a clown either.

Another villain from the early 90's that Kefka reminds me of is Verminous Skumm from Captain Planet and the Planeteers. Instead of destroying the environment or commit human rights or animal rights violations for profit or power like the other bad guys in the show, he does it because he wants to watch the world burn. He also poisoned a city's water supply.

Avatar image for Siberianhusky89
Siberianhusky89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#93  Edited By Siberianhusky89
Member since 2006 • 26 Posts

Jesus CHRIST I had to respond to this because of the ignorance of the situation being unanswered

The reason Kefka was both insane AND evil is because

1. He was Gestahl's loyal court jester. He whether he was planning to betray Gestahl is unclear at the time.

2. Kefka offered his services as a test subject for magitek infusion. He became a prototype to magic infusion to help further it's progress. He probably got closer than anyone else to surviving it. But, it also made him mentally ill.

3. Kefka was probably already hatefilled since he was already working for the Empire. However, I'm sure over time, that mental illness became worse and worse. Gestahl probably didn't accept or acknowledge it. He continued to wage his war.

So yes, there is a reason he's evil.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

FF15 is less japanese taste... its heavily westernised....

FF9 tried the classic FF feel... and was the least popular of the PS1 era.... only the FF14 stays true to the medieval fantasy elements.

They are listening, they are remaking the REAL standard FF ... FF7.... f*cking hipsters and their loved for FF6... yea its great, but many more people lived FF7 and is the main entry in the franchise... get over it.

That being said, FF6 did many things very well. but these turn based games are dying.... they simply arn't challenging... no matter what you do.... at least in Action-JRPG's you have a mix of stat building/RPG elements/Reflex to account for.

Don't pretend to me that debuffing and buffing makes you a smart human being..

Hell if Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius wasn't a god damn Gatcha game I would say its a pretty good tribue to traditional FF... but shows all the same weaknesses of that game loop/.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 texasgoldrush

@MBirdy88 said:

FF9 tried the classic FF feel... and was the least popular of the PS1 era.... only the FF14 stays true to the medieval fantasy elements.

They are listening, they are remaking the REAL standard FF ... FF7.... f*cking hipsters and their loved for FF6... yea its great, but many more people lived FF7 and is the main entry in the franchise... get over it.

That being said, FF6 did many things very well. but these turn based games are dying.... they simply arn't challenging... no matter what you do.... at least in Action-JRPG's you have a mix of stat building/RPG elements/Reflex to account for.

Hell if Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius wasn't a god damn Gatcha game I would say its a pretty good tribue to traditional FF... but shows all the same weaknesses of that game loop/.

You mean a FF game with horrific storytelling and a dated open world, with dated quest design and gameplay. Oh, and its now underperforming in sales compared to XIII in Japan and the UK?

FFIX is more popular now than it was at release and is considered one of the best FF titles.

They aren't listening.

Final Fantasy VII is a deal with the devil, just like Resident Evil 4, The Walking Dead, Assassin's Creed II, and Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare are...........immediate success of a very flawed game that leads to the downfall of the series, the genre, or the company in the long run.

Its not the gameplay or the game design that made VI the classic it was. It was the storytelling and event design as well as a game changing soundtrack. And once again, VI tops most best of series lists from 2008 on.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#96 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Why was this bumped?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@texasgoldrush said:
@MBirdy88 said:

You mean a FF game with horrific storytelling and a dated open world, with dated quest design and gameplay. Oh, and its now underperforming in sales compared to XIII in Japan and the UK?

FFIX is more popular now than it was at release and is considered one of the best FF titles.

They aren't listening.

Final Fantasy VII is a deal with the devil, just like Resident Evil 4, The Walking Dead, Assassin's Creed II, and Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare are...........immediate success of a very flawed game that leads to the downfall of the series, the genre, or the company in the long run.

Its not the gameplay or the game design that made VI the classic it was. It was the storytelling and event design as well as a game changing soundtrack. And once again, VI tops most best of series lists from 2008 on.

yea no.

If it was any of that, it would of received more love by now. it was a one time deal, the hipster choice.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 texasgoldrush

@MBirdy88: If I were to do a poll of Final Fantasy fans who played 8 or 9 main titles or more......FFVI would win

The generation gap helps FFVII as there is a large one between VI and VII. If I sift out this gap, VI beats VII.

Its the same as Fallout. If I polled Fallout fans in general, I think 3 will win. If I polled fans that played one of the Black Isle games, Fallout 2 wins and New Vegas would be the top Bethesda era Fallout game.

The long time fanbase tilts toward VI being the best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@texasgoldrush said:

@MBirdy88: If I were to do a poll of Final Fantasy fans who played 8 or 9 main titles or more......FFVI would win

The generation gap helps FFVII as there is a large one between VI and VII. If I sift out this gap, VI beats VII.

Its the same as Fallout. If I polled Fallout fans in general, I think 3 will win. If I polled fans that played one of the Black Isle games, Fallout 2 wins and New Vegas would be the top Bethesda era Fallout game.

The long time fanbase tilts toward VI being the best.

bullshit, back it up or just go back to your hole.

Best at story, FF5 was best at classes (if you dont include the MMOs).

Story alone doesn't make the best game. you say you know the majority of FF fans... yet alot of them were born from the PS error... I bet more of them can name FF7-10 characters compared to the cast of 6.