Why can't Sony get an FPS right?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

Seriously, I like Resistance....but it wasn't in the "great" category. Even Nintendo's metroid stint in the FPS category blows anything the playstation consoles ever produced as far as first person shooters go out the water. Why doesn't sony just put all their eggs into one basket, the most popular basket which is FPS's nowadays.

They get action-adventures and RPG's right though to their credit.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

I liked MAG... *shrugs*

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No idea. Sony has tried multiple times and has just failed. The Killzone franchises has been around, but it's never been really premier. It's always been more of a graphical showcase rather than a strong FPS.

Resistance fell apart. Haze killed a studio because it was so bad (though that was 3rd party). Microsoft got lucky with Halo. Halo could have ended up staying on Macs if Microsoft didn't step up.

Today all of the shooters are really mutliplats. With the exclusion of Titanfall and Halo, all of the biggest shooter franchises are on Sony gaming devices. So I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore. CoD, Battlefield, and in the future Battlefront and Titanfall 2 (we all know it's coming), will all be on the PS4. Sony lacks a real strong 1st party shooter but that's it. Killzone is alright and it's better than nothing.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Sony DID get a FPS right, just not on PlayStation.

PlanetSide 2 is by Sony Online Entertainment, and it's brilliant. I suppose it will serve as a FPS exclusive between consoles when it's out on PS4.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

It's tough, just ask M$. They haven't created a great one since 2007. And they have a whole studio devoted to making them.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PS4hasNOgames

@Wasdie said:

No idea. Sony has tried multiple times and has just failed. The Killzone franchises has been around, but it's never been really premier. It's always been more of a graphical showcase rather than a strong FPS.

Resistance fell apart. Haze killed a studio because it was so bad (though that was 3rd party). Microsoft got lucky with Halo. Halo could have ended up staying on Macs if Microsoft didn't step up.

Today all of the shooters are really mutliplats. With the exclusion of Titanfall and Halo, all of the biggest shooter franchises are on Sony gaming devices. So I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore. CoD, Battlefield, and in the future Battlefront and Titanfall 2 (we all know it's coming), will all be on the PS4. Sony lacks a real strong 1st party shooter but that's it. Killzone is alright and it's better than nothing.

they should be able to though, they have like 50 studios.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Metroid Prime destroys Halo as well.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@Wasdie said:

they are quite alright destroying microsoft in every other genre, they know after all the big hitter fps are multiplats.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Metroid Prime is an adventure game.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@Wasdie said:

they are quite alright destroying microsoft in every other genre,

Not really an accurate statement when the racing genre exists.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@GreySeal9

Apples and Oranges.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wasdie  Moderator

@ps4hasnogames said:

You can't just tell a studio to make a game that will be adorned by gamers. You can buy quality and some sales (Killzone), but you can't buy success. Sony throws a lot of money at Killzone and in return gets a good selling, pretty decent FPS in return. They can't buy themselves a mega hit. That's something that still needs to be earned.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Sony just doesn't have the right team to get a FPS game right. Plus they're falling off the racing genre and open world genre as well. So far their only strength left are third person shooter adventure games but we'll see how The Order will end up.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@GreySeal9

Apples and Oranges.

What's apples and oranges about that? Forza has been a clearly better racing game since it launched on the Xbox in 2005. Polyphony has been playing catch-up ever since. Sure Polyphony may make the better "driving-sim" with more accurate driving physics, but they don't actually make a better game. Turn 10 doesn't just make a pretty accurate sim, they also wrap it up in a very fun, high quality, feature filled game with a lot of little innovations and features here and there that round out the package better than any GT game has done.

Forza Horizon 2 has also proven to be the better sim-light arcade racer than Driveclub is and Sony had nothing like Forza Horizon last gen.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Ally shooting simulator 1886 is coming. What more do you need damn you!

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Wasdie

Was talking about Metroid Prime and Halo...

Post #7

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Kz2 was voted best FPS year so uh.......they did get it right

Cod dominates though

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

what did MS do since 2006 ?

they didn't do anything right since

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

I liked resistance 2 but sweet Jebus Killzone is awful. Saying that Halo is just as awful as Killzone and Nintendont do FPS .

so overall no first party has a good FPS developer.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

In my opinion Sony had some decent fps exclusives.. KZ2 was a solid fps, KZ3 & KZ:SF didn't meet my expectations but were still good games..

Resistance series while not amazing was good, I still consider R2's multiplayer great (8 player co-op was insane).. Honestly I would still give the series a chance on PS4..

Haze... hmmm lets just forget about that please !!!

I personally believe GG should focus on what made KZ2 great (atmosphere, map design, Shooting mechanics) + the scale of some areas found in KZ:SF and if they plan on a new game in the series, improve upon that formula + a few additional new touches.. As for Resistance, it just needs to have the great atmosphere of R1 & R3's sp campaigns, the scale of R2 with a mix of R2's & R3's mp... That should be a good formula for a great fps..

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts
@Slashkice said:

Resistance 3 was one of the best FPS games from last gen, but no one played Resistance 3.

Yup. It's what the franchise should've been from the get-go.

peafowlplumage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By peafowlplumage
Member since 2013 • 38 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

@Wasdie said:

they are quite alright destroying microsoft in every other genre, they know after all the big hitter fps are multiplats.

is this a Kaz account?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

Everyone is entitled to there opinion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@thedude-: Nintendo actaully classify it as an adventure game.

however its in first person perspective and you shoot things so it could be called an fps

Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts

How about Killzone 2?
91 on Metacritic, 90 on GS. Now tell me this is not "great".

Rock-City

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rock-City
Member since 2004 • 1533 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

Co-sign. Gotta say I've had more fun with Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 than any Halo game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

I liked MAG... *shrugs*

I did too but it wasn't in the same category as a game like Halo.

As a general question though? Truth is very few fps games are great.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Im wondering what impact the upcomin GTA V will have with its all new FPS mode, personally i think it has the potential to completely change the FPS genre entirely.

Time will tell.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Kz2 was great

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

KZ2 was one of my favorite ps3 games and I had a blast with Resistance 2. Killzone 3 just wasn't as good though and I never got R3(might still get it one day idk).

Boggle_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Boggle_Dragon
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

KZ2 was a really great game, especially online multiplayer. 32 player online, maps like radec academy, salamun market and blood gracht. The last time I checked a few months back there is still an active online community.

Say what you will about the rest, but KZ2 was far from mediocre.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

Seriously, I like Resistance....but it wasn't in the "great" category. Even Nintendo's metroid stint in the FPS category blows anything the playstation consoles ever produced as far as first person shooters go out the water. Why doesn't sony just put all their eggs into one basket, the most popular basket which is FPS's nowadays.

The world has enough FPS games. Too many actually.....

bigblunt537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 bigblunt537
Member since 2003 • 6907 Posts

I thought the Killzone franchise was "great". At least imo it's a great series. There are definitely better games out there, but they were VERY enjoyable. I even thought the PS4 Killzone was good. I think it had a classic fps feel to it and it was fun despite some random annoyances. Not a bad franchise at all.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

http://www.gamespot.com/resistance-2/

http://www.gamespot.com/killzone-2/

According to this site..

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44066 Posts

b/c they're too far out in... Left field? :P

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

Resistance 2 and 3 were really good. KZ 2 multi was good and Shadow Fall's multi is pretty good too.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PS4hasNOgames

@tormentos said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

http://www.gamespot.com/resistance-2/

http://www.gamespot.com/killzone-2/

According to this site..

the general consensus around here is that they are forgettable.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Someone didn't play Black..

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Honestly, they made a lot of really good shooters last gen.

Especially KZ2, but nothing wrong with Resistance franchise either. I'd actually love to see Resistance completely rebooted as a franchise this gen - maybe in the hands of a different studio (Insomniac seemed to be going in the wrong direction with each new iteration).

MAG was also a bit of an under-appreciated gem, although the actual gameplay was nothing much more than a CoD clone - it was still pretty crazy experience playing with a full 256 players. I always imagined how awesome that game could have been if they had made a sequel with full vehicle play (ala Battlefield). Would love to see another attempt at a next gen sequel, but it will never happen with the 1st game not selling - and the studio being long gone anyway.

Speaking of Zipper Interactive, even SOCOM 4 wasn't really "bad". If you called that game "Call of Duty 3rd Person Version" it was actualy a 9/10 quality game IMO. It actually had some of the best servers and best hitbox detection of any console shooter last gen IMO. It was a very smooth and polished performer, both the campaign and online component. The problem is, it wasn't SOCOM. It didn't play like SOCOM and didn't have the features of SOCOM. It played more like Call of Duty in 3rd person view.

All that being said. I want Sony to create new franchises this gen, not rehash last gen. Hopefully they are "done" with Killzone for a good long while. It's time for a new franchise - also it's been forever since their 1st party did an RPG (unless you want to count collaberations such as Dark Souls).

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

They didn't buy Bungie back in the day.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

haze lol

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Killzone is my second favorite FPS series. With BF being on top of course. So sony is doing fine in my book.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

@thehig1 said:

@thedude-: Nintendo actaully classify it as an adventure game.

however its in first person perspective and you shoot things so it could be called an fps

Just because you shoot in a game does not make it a "shooter." Its an adventure platformer with shooting elements hence why First Person Adventure is the accurate classification.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

I would rather sony focus on a variety of genres than just shooters.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

KZ2 was a solid game, but it wasn't great. A perfect illustration of this was how quickly the online turned into a ghost town.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

because they try too hard and their controllers suck and so does psn.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@thedude- said:

Just because you shoot in a game does not make it a "shooter." Its an adventure platformer with shooting elements hence why First Person Adventure is the accurate classification.

Damn haven't seen this whole debate in a while. Eventually people just let it go and we just started calling it an FPS, because well, that's exactly what it is. Don't get me wrong, I used to be on your side of the argument lol.

Anyways, if you MUST call it something else for whatever arbitrary reason, at least call it an action adventure. Adventure games are an entirely different genre full of games that don't even remotely resemble what the Prime series is.